ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #4531
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Just create a profile for each. And if you make a shortcut to each profile, it's very quick to flip from one to the other.

No need to be moving files.
I have created multiple profiles that have different maps enabled, but when I loaded my custom POI files (using POI Loader), they were visible within every Profile. I am not aware of a way to have them only be visible within certain profiles. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Eric
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #4532
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42 View Post
I have created multiple profiles that have different maps enabled, but when I loaded my custom POI files (using POI Loader), they were visible within every Profile. I am not aware of a way to have them only be visible within certain profiles. Am I missing something?
No, come to think of it, POIs and User Waypoints behave differently so you can't just create a Profile With or Without POIs.

You can change the visibility of POIs by setting the Map Points Zoom Setting, though. And I'm pretty sure that setting would be Profile specific.

I don't have my Montana here so going by the 62S, you would go to Setup/Map/Zoom Levels/Points,Streets, Etc/Map Points/ and set the zoom level you want.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #4533
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Just picked up a Montana 650T and have a couple of questions.

Can someone tell me how many waypoints a Montana 650T can store?

And also, can they be stored on the SD card somewhere or only internal memory?

Cheers,
JD
4000 Waypoints total, stored in the Montana\Garmin\GPX\ directory and/or the uSD\Garmin\GPX\ directory.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #4534
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Can't get 650 to tell me 'Where to Go'

I have been trying to get the voice directions to work with either NA 2013.1 or OSM (set as the active map only along with the World Map) for the Western have of North America. I have verified the Voice Guidance is set with various voices that I have. But no matter what voice is selected I do not get Voice directions from any route I try.

I have done a Mater Reset still no luck, tried plugging in ear buds into the 3.5mm Audio out, no luck .
Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #4535
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
I have been trying to get the voice directions to work with either NA 2013.1 or OSM (set as the active map only along with the World Map) for the Western have of North America. I have verified the Voice Guidance is set with various voices that I have. But no matter what voice is selected I do not get Voice directions from any route I try.

I have done a Mater Reset still no luck, tried plugging in ear buds into the 3.5mm Audio out, no luck .
Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
When you have earbuds plugged in, touch your power button to see if the volume is right down. The volume control only shows if you have a listening device plugged in or you're connected to a mount system with speaker or line out connection.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #4536
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
[EDIT] Found my problem. When yoou have Montana in rugged mount or speakers connect to the 3.5mm audio out port, & press the power button to access the 'Brightness' or 'Audio' settings. I found that the Icon for the speaker was showing a line at angle across the speaker Icon, so I would change it to NO line, which I though meant audio out..WRONG you have to have the angle line showing on the speaker Icon for Audio to be broadcast via the 3.5mm jack or in the rugged mount.

Thanks for response. I forgot to mention that I have checked the volume setting when mounted in the rugged mount & earbuds & have the volume turned all the way up & on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
When you have earbuds plugged in, touch your power button to see if the volume is right down. The volume control only shows if you have a listening device plugged in or you're connected to a mount system with speaker or line out connection.

bighopper screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 03:58 PM Reason: Discovered after doing another Master Reset
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #4537
Nata Harli
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,547
I can't believe this hasn't been covered yet but I've done several searches and can't seem to find the answer.

This what I see in my "Trip Computer" screen:

What I want to do is just reset my odometer only. So I click on the bars on the bottom and the next screen comes up, click on "Reset" and then I get the next screen. Nothing in any of the screens I've opened allow me to ONLY reset one of the data fields in the first screen, e.g. "Odometer" or "Max Speed" or ?.

All my other Garmins allowed me to do this. What am I missing with the Montana?

Thanks.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #4538
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
I can't believe this hasn't been covered yet but I've done several searches and can't seem to find the answer.

What I want to do is just reset my odometer only. So I click on the bars on the bottom and the next screen comes up, click on "Reset" and then I get the next screen. Nothing in any of the screens I've opened allow me to ONLY reset one of the data fields in the first screen, e.g. "Odometer" or "Max Speed" or ?.

Thanks.
You'er not missing anything. The only way to reset the Odometer is to do a Master Reset.

Oh, and it's been mentioned countless times.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #4539
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 472
FYI... Just got off the phone with Garmin. I'm still having white screen issues (plus I had issues with getting the numaps lifetime maps installed). On the white screen issue, here's what they said:

"The last update took care of MOST of the white screen issue. However, there are still some units out there that continue to have problems with the white screen. They are working on it and hope to have it resolved very soon."
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #4540
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
The problem I thought I had resolved over a week ago on the road has re-surfaced. This morning I was leaving Maob and heading to Torrey, Utah. I selected "where to" and then a route I had created at home on my Mac using Basecamp. Just like on my very first day of this trip (12 days ago), a dialogue box pops up on the device saying that the route doesn't match the maps (this is not correct as both my Mac and the Montana have CNNA 2012.4 loaded and all my routes were created with this map set). It then asked if I wanted it to recalculate the route. Given I really had no other option, I selected "yes". It then told me that there were no routable maps for that area (I'm paraphrasing slightly) and everything comes to a grinding halt despite several attempts to call up my stored route. I thought I had solved this when I took the suggestion to re-load my routes/tracks/waypoints into internal memory and not onto the micro SD card. It had worked fine for the last week, or so, and now back to this. Then, instead of selecting a stored route, I select the waypoint of my destination. The unit then merrily calculates a route (not the one I had created at home many wells ago, of course) and is set to navigate. So clearly, it knew that there were routable maps between Moab and Torrey, but thought otherwise when I tried to navigate my stored route. This behaviour is beyond frustrating, especially given its seemingly random nature. I never know from one day to the next if this thing is going to work. Yes, I was in the proper profile; yes, the basemap was enabled, and, yes, CNNA 2012.4 was enabled on the GPS. And, oh yes, the suggestion earlier in this thread to the effect that we're only having problems because this is a powerful unit and we cretins should stick to a pen and paper, is complete and utter bullshit.

marco polo screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 04:43 PM
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #4541
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Trip odometer reset

I just tried "reset trip data" and it reset the trip odometer to "0". I was in the Recreation mode at the time. Checked Automotive and Motorcycle and they now also show "0".

I'm on Ver 4.20

Jon...
Old 07-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #4542
Nata Harli
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Oh, and it's been mentioned countless times.

Cheers,
I figured it had, just couldn't find it until I got your PM and put the right search phrase in Google. Sometimes (well, most of the time) my 71 yr old mind doesn't work all that well.

But, that being said, and this has probably also been said, that's pretty crappy that you can't reset individual data fields. Thank god I've still got my trusty 60CSx (still my favorite of all the Garmins I've had).

But, I'm happy with my Montana overall and really like being able to see the screen.

Thanks for all the work all of you have put into this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I just tried "reset trip data" and it reset the trip odometer to "0". I was in the Recreation mode at the time. Checked Automotive and Motorcycle and they now also show "0".

I'm on Ver 4.20

Jon...
Check all your other data fields. I have a feeling you reset everything.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #4543
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:

Thanks.
Write to Garmin and ask them to fix this, it is a great request !!!!!
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #4544
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Check all your other data fields. I have a feeling you reset everything.
Oops, I mis-read your original post. I thought you were unable to reset the odometer.

Not wanting to reset "only" the odometer without affecting the other fields.

Jon...
Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #4545
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Oops, I mis-read your original post. I thought you were unable to reset the odometer.

Not wanting to reset "only" the odometer without affecting the other fields.

Jon...
The big problem for most people is that you can reset the trip odometer easily but the "odometer" requires a reset of the device.