ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #4591
AugustFalcon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
...So my backup Delorme PN40 brings me home.
TowPro you were my hero over on the DeLorme forums because you were an AdvRider inmate who went against the Garmin Grain. I was ready to pull the trigger on a DeLorme when you defected :) so I never did get one.

I am absolutely fascinated by the capabilities of the Garmin Montana but I keep seeing your posts about having to use the DeLorme to get you home.

Now I am convinced that the best setup is to have both a DeLorme and a Montana. Two independent units by different manufacturers using different maps and different programming.

The only improvement would be if one of those used the Glonass satellites.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #4592
Jerry3567
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Picked up a 600 a couple weeks ago, had an issue

When in use on the bike the screen would "spin", as in rotate 90 CCW over and over when going down the road. I tried locking orientation, didn't work. Plus, full battery it would turn itself off at different intervals. I thought it was the heat and being in the sun, let it cool overnight, but it still did it. I did have some non-Garmin 24k topo maps loaded, I don't know if that was an issue or not.

Garmin said to try a master reset, I did. They told me to ship it back and a new (not refurbished, but that made no difference to me) gps was on its way.

Excellent service, time to give this new one a try. I'm just throwing my issue out there for anyone who may have a similar issue.

Has anyone else had the rotating screen issue/random shutdown issue?
Jerry3567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #4593
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
TowPro you were my hero over on the DeLorme forums because you were an AdvRider inmate who went against the Garmin Grain. I was ready to pull the trigger on a DeLorme when you defected :) so I never did get one.
I still love the Delorme mapping software, and use it over basecamp when I can.

But the PN series has 3 problems,

1: I can't see it: But I did find bifocal safety glasses which solved that problem, still it displays nowhere near the info the Montana does.

2: I can't hear it. There is no Audio output that I could hook up to my helmet.
At one point I did try running a netbook in my luggage with Delorme Topo software on it, a track pad in the tank bag, a 9" USB monitor on the bars, with audio hooked into my Autocom. It worked, but running all that USB stuff off the laptop sucked the battery dead too fast. Then I applied power to the laptop and the audio feedback started (autocom problem). And it was just too much of a PITA to carry/maintain all that equipment.

3: If the bike power is interrupted (read starting the bike), the PN series can freeze, but still show a frozen image on the screen. If you have ever used a GPS to tell you when the next turn is coming (and how tight that corner is), only to find the screen is frozen showing straight road you will know what I mean by this is a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Montana and am sticking with it. I feel we all (or most of us) are having 2 problems.
1: Growing pains as Garmin fixes problems and adds enhancements.
2: Techiical problems we cause our self as we learn how to use the Montana with all its options as well as its idiosyncrasies.

My riding seasons starts up again next weekend, and the Montana will still be centered in the handlebars

Edit: and the Delorme forum users are not really into motorcycles, one guy even retracted his answer when he heard I was using it on a motorcycle. :(
Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #4594
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,102
Quote:
One problem with TrackBack:
I dirt bike ride in an area where I am never more then 10 miles from the truck the way the crow files.
It is covered with trails so I can always find a "short way" back to the truck using hiking mode.

I go out and ride 35 miles in a loop, only have 50 miles of fuel so it's time to head back to truck.
GPS fails to show me where truck is.

Its 35 miles to back track, which is a total of 70 miles, but bike only holds enough fuel to go 50 miles.
80 miles - 50 miles of fuel - 20 miles pushing. If I had to push 20 miles, I might get made enough to throw the GPS off a real high cliff
I get your point but it sounds to me like you don't need a GPS in the area you dirt bike if you're willing to accept that the GPS is going to auto-route you on a good (and shortest) path back to your Truck. For most of us that is not the best option when you don't know all of the mapped dirt [roads] in the area you are riding in.

TracBack is there to assure you that you will be traveling over a known path back.

If I were having the issues you and woodsatyr are having with Waypoints and Route Transfers to the Montana, I would spend some time trying to better understand what is going on: e.g, is BaseCamp/MapSource doing something flaky, am I doing something flaky, is the Montana doing something flaky, are my maps flaky, is my µSD card flaky...etc.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #4595
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
I still love the Delorme mapping software, and use it over basecamp when I can.

But the PN series has 3 problems,

1: I can't see it: But I did find bifocal safety glasses which solved that problem, still it displays nowhere near the info the Montana does.

2: I can't hear it. There is no Audio output that I could hook up to my helmet.
At one point I did try running a netbook in my luggage with Delorme Topo software on it, a track pad in the tank bag, a 9" USB monitor on the bars, with audio hooked into my Autocom. It worked, but running all that USB stuff off the laptop sucked the battery dead too fast. Then I applied power to the laptop and the audio feedback started (autocom problem). And it was just too much of a PITA to carry/maintain all that equipment.

3: If the bike power is interrupted (read starting the bike), the PN series can freeze, but still show a frozen image on the screen. If you have ever used a GPS to tell you when the next turn is coming (and how tight that corner is), only to find the screen is frozen showing straight road you will know what I mean by this is a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Montana and am sticking with it. I feel we all (or most of us) are having 2 problems.
1: Growing pains as Garmin fixes problems and adds enhancements.
2: Techiical problems we cause our self as we learn how to use the Montana with all its options as well as its idiosyncrasies.

My riding seasons starts up again next weekend, and the Montana will still be centered in the handlebars

Edit: and the Delorme forum users are not really into motorcycles, one guy even retracted his answer when he heard I was using it on a motorcycle. :(
Me too..Love the Montana... BUT it still has some issues that Garmin has yet to resolve and have yet to tell me to send it in. Problem: When trying to find an Address >: but skipping House number and Street names it's supposed to display a cluster of streets/roads instead...it doesn't and tells me "not found"..then if I push further it shuts down completely, and goes into a whitish blank screen shot.....where I have to restart it...going through this motion several time will eventually display the cluster of Streets.roads!

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #4596
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Me too..Love the Montana... BUT it still has some issues that Garmin has yet to resolve and have yet to tell me to send it in. Problem: When trying to find an Address >: but skipping House number and Street names it's supposed to display a cluster of streets/roads instead...it doesn't and tells me "not found"..then if I push further it shuts down completely, and goes into a whitish blank screen shot.....where I have to restart it...going through this motion several time will eventually display the cluster of Streets.roads!

cheers...
Did you call Prod Support with this issue? There is no reason why they should not replace your unit. This is not a systemic problem. If you don't get satisfaction, escalate while you are on the phone. Make sure you have the Tech's name or ID # when you talk with them and of course being polite goes without saying.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #4597
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 553
Quote:

cheers...

Question: Do you have more than 1 mapset enabled when this happens?

The reason I ask is I have had a similar issue when I enable both CNna and Canada TopoV4. When I have both enabled and search for an address the Montana seems to get confused and gives a "not found" or white screen or shuts down. When I enable only 1 mapset (either one), it seems to find it right away - everytime and never goes all goofy.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #4598
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post

The reason I ask is I have had a similar issue when I enable both CNna and Canada TopoV4. When I have both enabled and search for an address the Montana seems to get confused and gives a "not found" or white screen or shuts down. When I enable only 1 mapset (either one), it seems to find it right away - everytime and never goes all goofy.
Interesting, I have CNNA, CNNEU and US 24K Topo West, US 24K Topo Southwest and US Topo 24K North Central on my Montana and I just enabled all of them (not recommended). I then did several wildcard searches in several different WhereTo? options (Address, Intersections, Cities, etc.) and I had no problems.

I do believe that there are old map sets that can cause issues with the newer GPS though.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #4599
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:

I only have >> CNNA 2012.4 ..which is the only map I currently have loaded.

However I noticed that what is automatically enabled in the "Map Information"-"select Map"... area of the Montana are:

(1) Enabled- Worldwide DEM Basecamp, NR
(2) Enabled-Western Alaska, Eastern Alaska, Monterey, Nuevo L
(3) Enabled-Western Alaska, Eastern Alaska, Grand Bahamas, New
CN North America NT 2012.4
(4) Enabled- CIty Navigator North America NT 2012.4

Is this the problem ??

Thank you..
Old 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #4600
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
I only have >> CNNA 2012.4 ..which is the only map I currently have loaded.

However I noticed that what is automatically enabled in the "Map Information"-"select Map"... area of the Montana are:

(1) Enabled- Worldwide DEM Basecamp, NR
(2) Enabled-Western Alaska, Eastern Alaska, Monterey, Nuevo L
(3) Enabled-Western Alaska, Eastern Alaska, Grand Bahamas, New
CN North America NT 2012.4
(4) Enabled- CIty Navigator North America NT 2012.4

Is this the problem ??

Thank you..
Disable maps 1 to 3, leaving only map 4 enabled and try it.....see what happens - make sure you have a sat signal first thou.

Maps 2 & 3 look like map tiles loaded on to your Montana through Basecamp - did you load some partial maps? or did someone else load those? They are named by the first tile that was selected when they were loaded from Basecamp by default.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #4601
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Disable maps 1 to 3, leaving only map 4 enabled and try it.....see what happens - make sure you a sat signal first thou.

Maps 2 & 3 look like map tiles loaded on to your Montana through Basecamp - did you load some partial maps? or did someone else load those? They are named by the first tile that was selected when they were loaded from Basecamp by default.

When I first loaded some maps I tried to load what States or Provinces I needed...must have missed a few or added too many thus the attempt done twice! How do I remove the offending overload of these repeats?

Hi..still doesn't work

...but I noticed when it comes to "no results found " after address > street > house number, etc...no cluster of Streets/roads...I slightly push the "on/off" button and the "backlight setting" comes into play...then slightly push the "on/off" button again....lo and behold the cluster of streets/roads is displayed loud and clear!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #4602
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 461
Just had another bad issue with routes and waypoints.

I had the unit working fine last night after a master reset. All my routes and waypoints were there.

Today, I was setting up some shortcuts and main menu items - in particular I was reordering the "Where to?" list. I got it set up the way I wanted and I went into "routes" to check my routes. Whoa, there's no option for "routes". That's weird. Maybe I need to go through the route creation page. No routes there. ??? Looked at my waypoints. I had 1 waypoint. Out of 300+ that were supposed to be in there. ?!?!?!?!?

I rebooted - nothing. Came home, hooked it up to the computer and there was everything in Basecamp and in Windows Explorer. Unplugged the unit, turned it on - nothing. 1 waypoint out of all my waypoints and routes.

I'm leaving tomorrow on my trip so I'm freaking out. Call Garmin. Here's what they had me do (note this for future reference):

1. Make sure you have all your files on your computer.
2. Windows Explorer, open the Garmin folder on the unit.
3. Delete the GPX folder.
4. Hook the unit up to the computer, open Basecamp. Make sure Basecamp sees the unit.
5. Start with just a few waypoints (5) and transfer them via Basecamp from the computer to the unit. Transfer a route in the same manner.
6. Use the "Safely eject hardware" button on your computer to eject the unit.
7. Start the unit and check to see if the waypoints and route you transferred are there.
8. If they are there, repeat steps 4-7, adding a dozen or so waypoints and routes at a time. Repeat this until you have reloaded the unit with your waypoints and routes OR until the error reveals itself again. In the latter case, go to step 9.
9. If they aren't there, one of those files is corrupted and you'll need to delete the corrupted file. If you only transfer a few at a time, you can weed out the bad one that way without having to recreate everything.

Thank goodness it's back up and running!
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #4603
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Just had another bad issue with routes and waypoints.

I had the unit working fine last night after a master reset. All my routes and waypoints were there.

Today, I was setting up some shortcuts and main menu items - in particular I was reordering the "Where to?" list. I got it set up the way I wanted and I went into "routes" to check my routes. Whoa, there's no option for "routes". That's weird. Maybe I need to go through the route creation page. No routes there. ??? Looked at my waypoints. I had 1 waypoint. Out of 300+ that were supposed to be in there. ?!?!?!?!?

I rebooted - nothing. Came home, hooked it up to the computer and there was everything in Basecamp and in Windows Explorer. Unplugged the unit, turned it on - nothing. 1 waypoint out of all my waypoints and routes.

I'm leaving tomorrow on my trip so I'm freaking out. Call Garmin. Here's what they had me do (note this for future reference):

4. Hook the unit up to the computer, open Basecamp. Make sure Basecamp sees the unit.
5. Start with just a few waypoints (5) and transfer them via Basecamp from the computer to the unit. Transfer a route in the same manner.
7. Start the unit and check to see if the waypoints and route you transferred are there.
8. If they are there, repeat steps 4-7, adding a dozen or so waypoints and routes at a time. Repeat this until you have reloaded the unit with your waypoints and routes OR until the error reveals itself again. In the latter case, go to step 9.
9. If they aren't there, one of those files is corrupted and you'll need to delete the corrupted file. If you only transfer a few at a time, you can weed out the bad one that way without having to recreate everything.

Thank goodness it's back up and running!
And was your bad data a Route? Or, Waypoint?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #4604
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Yep just happened again.

I just turned it on and no waypoints available in my area, another master reset had to be done

Frustrating and time consuming when you are rushing for an appointment

If this gets me home it is going on EBay and maybe before that

Pussed off in Kazakhstan
TS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #4605
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
And was your bad data a Route? Or, Waypoint?

Cheers,
When uploading or deleting data, make sure to wait until the green line under the DEVICES disappears, before unplugging the unit, or else the data will be lost or corrupted.

Are all these routes and waypoints located in a single list under 'My Collection'?

There are two ways to transfer a list and its contents using Basecamp. One is to use ‘Send To’. The other is ‘Export’. Using ‘Export’ the entire list contents will be in a single file with a *.gpx file extension, (i.e ListName.gpx), You can place its location within the ‘Garmin/GPX’ directory in either the gps’s internal memory or the SDcard. On boot up the gps looks for these *gpx files and loads them.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 04:01 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote