ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #4621
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Are all these routes and waypoints located in a single list under 'My Collection'?

There are two ways to transfer a list and its contents using Basecamp. One is to use ‘Send To’. The other is ‘Export’. Using ‘Export’ the entire list contents will be in a single file with a *.gpx file extension, (i.e ListName.gpx), You can place its location within the ‘Garmin/GPX’ directory in either the gps’s internal memory or the SDcard. On boot up the gps looks for these *gpx files and loads them.

daryl
So using the export function will automatically name the file the same as the list, i.e. "Colorado Trip" ?

I've been using the Send To function and I end up with a bunch of gpx's named "Route 1, Route 2, Waypoint 1, Waypoint 2", etc.

I have also found that sending a waypoint file to the SD card overwrites the one already there, but sending it to the Montana/Garmin/GPX appends it to whatever is there.

So, if you have several files that came from a List Export function, will you see them as separate files when using the mass storage mode, either in BC or with Windows Explorer, but when viewing them on the Montana they appear as just one list of routes or waypoints?

Still learning after 5 months.....
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #4622
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
So using the export function will automatically name the file the same as the list, i.e. "Colorado Trip" ?

I've been using the Send To function and I end up with a bunch of gpx's named "Route 1, Route 2, Waypoint 1, Waypoint 2", etc.

I have also found that sending a waypoint file to the SD card overwrites the one already there, but sending it to the Montana/Garmin/GPX appends it to whatever is there.

So, if you have several files that came from a List Export function, will you see them as separate files when using the mass storage mode, either in BC or with Windows Explorer, but when viewing them on the Montana they appear as just one list of routes or waypoints?

Both BaseCamp and MapInstall are still quite buggy, and not very user friendly in many respects. I do not use either with my Montana because I never know what they will overwrite or delete, although usually something I wanted to keep. I prefer manually organizing the data on my GPSr and uSD card.

My way of doing this is to use BaseCamp and MapInstall to send maps and GPX files to a virtual copy of my Montana GPSr and then transfer them to the Montana and uSD manually.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #4623
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:

The resulting gpx file will take the name of the list or you can change it. When you export the list, you will be given the option as to where to place the file. If you want the gps to see it, then place it in the ‘Garmin/GPX’ directory either on the gps or on the SDcard. ‘Export’ main purpose is to save the file to your computer. Several file extensions are available.

Yes you will, the names aren’t very descriptive are they. By using ‘Export’ all the track, waypoints and routes are in a single gpx file, with the name of the list that contained them in BC.

On my 62s the waypoint files are appended, no overwrites appear to take place. But then again, I tried to verified this in a hurry

Yes, with Windows Explorer. If you use ‘Export’ on several different lists, each one will take the list name with the *.gpx file extension added. You can export all these to the ‘Gamin/GPX’ directory. Each one will have a distinct name. This makes it easy to remove them when you don’t need them. On my 62s, they show up on the gps under ‘Waypoints’, if a waypoint, ‘Routes’ if a route or ‘Tracks’ if it’s a track.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 11:45 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #4624
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
ITS TO FARKIN COMPLICATED I JUST WANT TO GET SOMEWHERE GET HOME UPLOAD ROUTES AND GET THERE - IT PEESES ME OFF
wouldnt follow a route again yesterday
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #4625
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
ITS TO FARKIN COMPLICATED I JUST WANT TO GET SOMEWHERE GET HOME UPLOAD ROUTES AND GET THERE - IT PEESES ME OFF
wouldnt follow a route again yesterday
I usually disregard a post like this but if you would like some help I'd be willing to help you understand why your Montana isn't working the way you think it should. So, come back down from your ozone high and tell us what didn't work.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 02:00 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #4626
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c

Yes you will, the names aren’t very descriptive are they. By using ‘Export’ all the track, waypoints and routes are in a single gpx file, with the name of the list that contained them in BC.
daryl
By putting all of your data into a single file, it might make it easier for you "manage" your data but you just negated the Montana's ability to optimize in-memory performance. There are reasons for the way the Montana parses data and I've outlined them several times in this thread. Oh, and aside from the performance issues, you will most likely rediscover the duplicate Waypoint issue if you have a waypoint and a route that uses the waypoint in your GPX file.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #4627
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I usually disregard a post like this but if you would like some help I'd be willing to help you understand why your Montana isn't working the way you think it should. So, come back down from your ozone high and tell us what didn't work.

Cheers,
Just venting but man its a gps for savvy people I"ll keep struggling and reading this thread
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #4628
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Yep just happened again.

I just turned it on and no waypoints available in my area, another master reset had to be done

Frustrating and time consuming when you are rushing for an appointment

If this gets me home it is going on EBay and maybe before that

Pussed off in Kazakhstan
TS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
So far, all of those that have had this type of issue that I know of either had bad hardware and it happened all of the time or was the result of bad Route's and or Waypoint data created by the user. But, one question; are you still using a µSD Card in the unit? If so, you might want to try another card or move your data to internal storage and don't use a µSD card.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #4629
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Normal 0 false false false ontGrowAutofit/> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
The resulting gpx file will take the name of the list or you can change it. When you export the list, you will be given the option as to where to place the file. If you want the gps to see it, then place it in the ‘Garmin/GPX’ directory either on the gps or on the SDcard. ‘Export’ main purpose is to save the file to your computer. Several file extensions are available.

Yes, with Windows Explorer. If you use ‘Export’ on several different lists, each one will take the list name with the *.gpx file extension added. You can export all these to the ‘Gamin/GPX’ directory. Each one will have a distinct name. This makes it easy to remove them when you don’t need them. On my 62s, they show up on the gps under ‘Waypoints’, if a waypoint, ‘Routes’ if a route or ‘Tracks’ if it’s a track.

daryl
Boy, thanks a bunch Daryl, this will make route and waypoint management WAY easier!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #4630
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
By putting all of your data into a single file, it might make it easier for you "manage" your data but you just negated the Montana's ability to optimize in-memory performance. There are reasons for the way the Montana parses data and I've outlined them several times in this thread.Cheers,
Oh Damn.......somewhere in this monster thread? YOU wouldn't by chance have a URL?

So typically I make a new list for a trip. It might have as many as ten routes and a dozen waypoints for stuff that isn't in the database, or for Topo USA if I'm going to be using that map exclusively. What sort of performance hit am I going to see and how will it manifest itself? (If I Export the whole list as a single file)

I feel just like B2 sometimes!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #4631
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Oh Damn.......somewhere in this monster thread? YOU wouldn't by chance have a URL?

So typically I make a new list for a trip. It might have as many as ten routes and a dozen waypoints for stuff that isn't in the database, or for Topo USA if I'm going to be using that map exclusively. What sort of performance hit am I going to see and how will it manifest itself? (If I Export the whole list as a single file)

I feel just like B2 sometimes!!!
Here is the post that I was referencing. By the way, with the v4.20 firmware update, data is now parsed the same way on both Internal and the µSD Card to avoid the duplicate waypoint problem and improve performance.

Speaking of performance, If you have a large/long Route with many Via Points and/or Waypoints in it, it's best to have only that Route data in memory. Otherwise the unit must keep track of what's going on with the other data in memory. This could slow down Route updates on the map, recalculation of routing, map freezing, other(?).

Also, if you have a bunch of Routes in a single GPX file along with a large number of Waypoints and any one of the Routes has Via Point or Waypoint issues, in my experience that bad data will effect your interaction with the other data.

By the way, I think the addition of Garmin Adventures functionality will help many of us who do want to be able to "manage" our data on the unit a little better/easier.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #4632
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the link, Dan.

"Speaking of performance, If you have a large/long Route with many Via Points and/or Waypoints in it, it's best to have only that Route data in memory. Otherwise the unit must keep track of what's going on with the other data in memory. This could slow down Route updates on the map, recalculation of routing, map freezing, other(?)."

So if you have one of these biggies it should be the ONLY GPX file loaded onto the unit or the card? I'm confused by the terminology: in memory or as a file. If I understand how it works, the Montana reads all GPX files on the unit and the card upon startup and they then reside in memory until shutdown. Correct?

Also, if you have a bunch of Routes in a single GPX file along with a large number of Waypoints and any one of the Routes has Via Point or Waypoint issues, in my experience that bad data will effect your interaction with the other data.

And if they are in separate files, the bad data will only affect that particular route and not the other routes?

By the way, I think the addition of Garmin Adventures functionality will help many of us who do want to be able to "manage" our data on the unit a little better/easier.
Color me SCEPTICAL!

OK, so here's where we're at....I would love to be able to name each route and waypoint file so that it means something to me 3 weeks later as I look at the filename when I'm cleaning up old trips off the unit or the card using Explorer. If I use the Send To function, it seems I will have to do them one by one and rename them one by one.....since I'm old and get confused easily. Of course I can view the contents of a dozen or so in notepad and then rename them according to the internal name, but these two methods require nearly the same amount of time.

If I do so,will I have the fastest performance and the least likelyhood that one bad data point will screw up the whole lot and maybe crash the unit?

And lastly, do I understand you to say that with 4.20, sending additional waypoint files to the SD card will now NOT overwrite the file that is there but append to it? I've gotten pretty used to using the SD card ONLY for map files, maybe I'll just keep that protocol.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #4633
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:

Cheers,
Garmin Adventures.......... did I miss something? Are they, or did they, add another function?

Jon...
Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #4634
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Garmin Adventures.......... did I miss something? Are they, or did they, add another function?

Jon...
Only in BaseCamp 4.0xx beta. Future firmware updates will presumably add Adventures to the Montana and other Garmin GPSr units.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #4635
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Interesting......thanks.

Jon...