ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #4651
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Well that failed spectacularly

I made a route and moved it to the unit then when I started to ride it said there were no routable roads.

I only had the Kaz maps on SD card LOL, so I will try again after I install the Kaz map to the main unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
What I should have mentioned with the above is that what failed was removing the SD card

It had the OSM maps on it, so of course the unit had a route with no tout able roads on it

I had to stop and reinsert the SD card again just to get out of the city lol

Dirtbyke I did read your pm and will respond when I get laptop Internet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #4652
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I found them in a local Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS).
I use them to hold on my tank bag.

I have already bought the buckles, I just can't find the things right now.
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #4653
RawJaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I have searched and searched ... anyone have pics of how you ran the Rugged Mount wiring through the dash of a 990 in a clean way?

Sorry for being a pour search artist.

Sent from my Turkey Sammich using Tapatalk 2
RawJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #4654
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The thing that happens with a larger clip or one with sharp edges is that you forget and shove the gps into a pocket, brief case, tank bag etc and that clip, tied to the gps, just might find a way to get pushed into the screen and scratch or break it.

Back when I had my first GPSMap 60C, I had it in a pocket with a pair of reading glasses and sharp edges on the glasses left some real annoying scratches on the screen, so I've been paranoid ever since. For the Montana, I have a soft camera bag which fits it well, and I never put the lanyard/carabiner into the bag with the gps.

Hmm, this is quite an expensive piece to be scratching up.

Better?

09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #4655
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,873
I think I found a new and interesting way for the Montana to make me want to test REI's return policy. I created a few (14) tracks using Google Maps then saved/converted the KML files to GPX. I loaded one GPX file with all the tracks onto the Montana and they came up. No problems yet. About halfway through Day 1 (of 10) of driving (yes, four wheels instead of two ) the battery was getting low, so I plugged in a USB cable (no car cradle). The Montana was in Serial mode rather than Spanner so it promptly shut down. When I started it back up, my tracks were gone. Not just hidden on the map, but GONE! Days of planning and 10 days worth of tracks, GONE. F___ You Garmin!

I called Garmin to see if they had any ideas or could lead me in the right direction since this is a new failure to me. Garmin's customer disservice wanted me to see if Basecamp could see the file. My Linux netbook doesn't have Basecamp, but I could see the file in the folder on the Montana using Spanner mode and connecting it as a mass storage device. The Garmin guy parroted the only action he knew how - "Check the file in Basecamp" "Check the file in Basecamp" *Squak!*. When he asked, "Can I be of any more help?" I simply said "Apparently not." and hung up.

I tried copying the file to my netbook, renamed it and copied it back to the Montana. The tracks are back, for now! I'm still thinking about REI's return policy.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #4656
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
I think I found a new and interesting way for the Montana to make me want to test REI's return policy. I created a few (14) tracks using Google Maps then saved/converted the KML files to GPX. I loaded one GPX file with all the tracks onto the Montana and they came up. No problems yet. About halfway through Day 1 (of 10) of driving (yes, four wheels instead of two ) the battery was getting low, so I plugged in a USB cable (no car cradle). The Montana was in Serial mode rather than Spanner so it promptly shut down. When I started it back up, my tracks were gone. Not just hidden on the map, but GONE! Days of planning and 10 days worth of tracks, GONE. F___ You Garmin!

I called Garmin to see if they had any ideas or could lead me in the right direction since this is a new failure to me. Garmin's customer disservice wanted me to see if Basecamp could see the file. My Linux netbook doesn't have Basecamp, but I could see the file in the folder on the Montana using Spanner mode and connecting it as a mass storage device. The Garmin guy parroted the only action he knew how - "Check the file in Basecamp" "Check the file in Basecamp" *Squak!*. When he asked, "Can I be of any more help?" I simply said "Apparently not." and hung up.

I tried copying the file to my netbook, renamed it and copied it back to the Montana. The tracks are back, for now! I'm still thinking about REI's return policy.
What application did you use to convert the KML data to GPX? What did you name the first GPX file and what did you name the current one?
Opps, one more question. Is the file on your µSD Card or Internal Storage?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 11:59 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #4657
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawJaw View Post
I have searched and searched ... anyone have pics of how you ran the Rugged Mount wiring through the dash of a 990 in a clean way?

Sorry for being a pour search artist.

Sent from my Turkey Sammich using Tapatalk 2
I can post up what I did on my 990 on Sunday when I get back in town

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #4658
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
What application did you use to convert the KML data to GPX? What did you name the first GPX file and what did you name the current one?
Opps, one more question. Is the file on your µSD Card or Internal Storage?

Cheers,
I used GPS Visualizer to do the conversion from KML to GPX. I tried Basecamp on my desktop but it wouldn't read the KML file. The first file was named "GlacierNPTrip.gpx" I renamed it to "GlacierNP.gpx" That was the only change. The original worked before I plugged in that USB cord to charge in the car. I copied it from internal storage to the netbook, renamed and copied it back to internal storage. The original is still on the Montana in the same folder and I only have one set of tracks, instead of duplicates. I have the latest firmware on the Montana and the latest version of Basecamp on the desktop too. When I originally put the file on the Montana from the desktop I used a file manager rather than going through Basecamp or Mapsource, too.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #4659
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,920
Quote:
I'm still thinking about REI's return policy.
Go for it, but it'll be your loss... The Montana's easily the best gps of its kind out there but it does take some getting used to.

I would have reset the unit, if it lost tracks or routes that way for me but mine is boringly reliable, unfortunately.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 05:08 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #4660
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
I used GPS Visualizer to do the conversion from KML to GPX. I tried Basecamp on my desktop but it wouldn't read the KML file. The first file was named "GlacierNPTrip.gpx" I renamed it to "GlacierNP.gpx" That was the only change. The original worked before I plugged in that USB cord to charge in the car. I copied it from internal storage to the netbook, renamed and copied it back to internal storage. The original is still on the Montana in the same folder and I only have one set of tracks, instead of duplicates. I have the latest firmware on the Montana and the latest version of Basecamp on the desktop too. When I originally put the file on the Montana from the desktop I used a file manager rather than going through Basecamp or Mapsource, too.
If the file contents do not show then there is corrupt data in it. It probably happened when you plugged the GPS into your USB Charger while the file was in active-memory and forced into USB Storage Mode. I would recommend deleting that file.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #4661
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 274
[QUOTE=RawJaw;19382349]I have searched and searched ... anyone have pics of how you ran the Rugged Mount wiring through the dash of a 990 in a clean way?

I cut the power cable apart to shorten the length between the "Y" and the cradle so there wasn't a bunch of cable laying all over the dash. I left the audio cable full lenght so I could still use if.
I then cut the power lead and soldered on one our (3BR Powersports) Baryl 12V plugs. A Baryl Panel Mount socket fit nicely on the left side of the dash. This lets me remove the Montana cradle easily. Here's what it looks like.
BTW- the mount is something was custom made to my own design.

Here it is more closeup

The bike is on its way back from Uzbekistan. When it gets here I'll pull the cradle off and take better pics of the cable and cradle on the bench.
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #4662
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
mine is boringly reliable, unfortunately.
Wanna SWAP
Old 08-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #4663
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Wanna SWAP
You wouldn't want mine; it's off warranty, and with your luck...
Old 08-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #4664
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 385
New Montana

I just received a new Montana w/ CN NA and Topo Canada dvd's. When I tried to install the CN NA, it was too much data for the unit. So, I deselected Mexico, northern/central Canada and Alaska tiles, then installed to the unit without problem though there isn't much memory left.

Next I want to install the Topo Canada, and the OSM Canada (thanks to Emmbeedee for the suggestions). I understand this should be installed to a memory card, but it looks like the card is going to need lots of memory. Any suggestions for a memory card size?

Also, should I have installed the CN NA to the memory card instead of to the unit? TIA.

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #4665
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv View Post
I just received a new Montana w/ CN NA and Topo Canada dvd's. When I tried to install the CN NA, it was too much data for the unit. So, I deselected Mexico, northern/central Canada and Alaska tiles, then installed to the unit without problem though there isn't much memory left.

Next I want to install the Topo Canada, and the OSM Canada (thanks to Emmbeedee for the suggestions). I understand this should be installed to a memory card, but it looks like the card is going to need lots of memory. Any suggestions for a memory card size?

Also, should I have installed the CN NA to the memory card instead of to the unit? TIA.
I have a 16 gig uSD card in all my units, and when I last used MapInstall to update maps, it put everything on the card.

For those who care, there's a "Lifetime Map Update" available today.