ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #4666
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I have a 16 gig uSD card in all my units, and when I last used MapInstall to update maps, it put everything on the card.

For those who care, there's a "Lifetime Map Update" available today.

I care. Thanks!

I've been riding the Trans Lab Hwy all week (until I crashed yesterday) and had the "no routeable maps" thing. Luckily the Trans Lab is the only road up here so no problems finding our way. But now I have to go back and find the posts with the solution. It's ok... I have plenty of time while I'm in the hospital. Haha!!
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #4667
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
I care. Thanks!

I've been riding the Trans Lab Hwy all week (until I crashed yesterday) and had the "no routeable maps" thing. Luckily the Trans Lab is the only road up here so no problems finding our way. But now I have to go back and find the posts with the solution. It's ok... I have plenty of time while I'm in the hospital. Haha!!
Sorry to hear that! From your post, it's clear you didn't hurt your 'funny bone'! Hope you heal up fast.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #4668
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Sorry to hear that! From your post, it's clear you didn't hurt your 'funny bone'! Hope you heal up fast.
Trying to keep upbeat. I'm hoping to get released soon so I can continue the trip in a rental car. But I think they're going to have to mod my collar bone (broken into 3 pieces) before I go. I've been messing around on the interwebs trying to find a rental car and they don't seem to exist in the Middle O' Nowhere. Time to call AAA travel and let them figure it out for me.

My friends are trying to figure out how to get my bike off the Trans Lab and back to civilization so I can get it home. Some wonderful creative ideas coming out of that! Haha!!

BTW, the bike is fine. Only broke the windsheild. (DRZ400S) Gotta love that!!
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #4669
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
The orientation is on auto. Mine would do that also until I locked the orientation to where I wanted it. Mine sits almost flat on my bars though which I'm assuming is why it was rotating.

I haven't had any issues with mine other than the spinning thing and one other situation where it kept changing the view from track up to north up and back again while driving down the road. I zoomed it in 2 clicks and it stopped doing that
Funny, I have a brad new Montana, and mounted it to the rugged mount. I oriented the rugged mount upside down 1) to keep the power at the top which will keep it cleaner/drier and 2) so I could mount it close to my windscreen and still have easy access to the lock screw on the mount. This worked beautifully...until I rode it. The orientation kept spinning, round and round. I rotated the unit and mount 180, and the spinning stopped. I tried to lock the orientation upside down but it will not do that? When I choose landscape the orientation flips 180 degrees... Does anyone know of a way to lock the screen upside down? That and the guidance text does not show when routing (its enabled to "when navigating"...).
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #4670
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Funny, I have a brad new Montana, and mounted it to the rugged mount. I oriented the rugged mount upside down 1) to keep the power at the top which will keep it cleaner/drier and 2) so I could mount it close to my windscreen and still have easy access to the lock screw on the mount. This worked beautifully...until I rode it. The orientation kept spinning, round and round. I rotated the unit and mount 180, and the spinning stopped. I tried to lock the orientation upside down but it will not do that? When I choose landscape the orientation flips 180 degrees... Does anyone know of a way to lock the screen upside down? That and the guidance text does not show when routing (its enabled to "when navigating"...).

That's one thing you can't do is lock the screen upside down, as you noticed.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #4671
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
I care. Thanks!

Happy to hear you are ok - well, except for that collar bone part.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #4672
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That's one thing you can't do is lock the screen upside down, as you noticed.
Bugger...oh well, thanks for that.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #4673
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 363
So far so good

Quote:
I have a 16 gig uSD card in all my units, and when I last used MapInstall to update maps, it put everything on the card.
I just put a 16GB card in the Montana, and MapInstall is installing both CN NA and TopoCanada to the card, and removing the previous CN NA install from the unit!

I'm impressed with the unit so far, in the car it routes just like my nuvi 750, including via points, the display is about the same size, the battery charge hasn't hardly budged, the usb car cig lighter power cable works fine with it, and I've successfully loaded a bunch of tracks given to me for adv use.

The only down side so far is now my wife wants my nuvi...

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #4674
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv View Post
The only down side so far is now my wife wants my nuvi...
Look on the bright side - she isn't coveting your new Montana.

Yet.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #4675
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Quote:
Look on the bright side - she isn't coveting your new Montana.

Yet.
Good point!

So, MapInstall lied to me. I know you find it hard to believe....

It appears the maps were all installed to the memory card without issue. However the CNNA is still on the unit, as well is on the card, and shows up twice in the maps listing. I should be able to delete the one on the unit with Windows Explorer, right?

Old 08-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #4676
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Got to play with one at an REI store. I liked the fact that it picked up lots of signal even inside the store. I was surprised how sluggish the interface is however. The menus come up fast but scrolling around the map seemed as slow if not slower than my GPSMap. Anyone who owns one find this to be true or maybe something was broken on the demo unit?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #4677
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv View Post
I should be able to delete the one on the unit with Windows Explorer, right?
Explorer works just fine for removing older maps. Make sure you empty the Recycle Bin, or the Trash if you do so with the Finder on a Mac, though, so you get the space back. Otherwise it'll just stay in the Recycle Bin or the Trash.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 04:47 PM
Old 08-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #4678
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider View Post
Anyone who owns one find this to be true or maybe something was broken on the demo unit?
Just guessing, of course, but perhaps the unit was zoomed way out, and on a high detail level. Not really useful choices, in the real world.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #4679
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider View Post
I was surprised how sluggish the interface is however. The menus come up fast but scrolling around the map seemed as slow if not slower than my GPSMap.
I've been scrolling around a bunch of maps today looking at detail, the CNNA, the Topo Canada, the OSM Canada (and I'm well south of the Great White North), zooming in and out, and it's been redrawing the maps quite fast.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #4680
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawJaw View Post
I have searched and searched ... anyone have pics of how you ran the Rugged Mount wiring through the dash of a 990 in a clean way?

Sorry for being a pour search artist.

Sent from my Turkey Sammich using Tapatalk 2
I just tucked it under the rubber seal for the headlight (with enough slack to turn the mount 180 deg.). You can't tell at all.

Pic's here ---> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=6361