ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 66 votes, 4.59 average. Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #4696
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash217 View Post
....Heck, we did an endurocross race on our klrs yesterday....

KLR's are underrated...!

Edit to add: I think you're gonna do just fine with whatever gps you go with!

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #4697
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Montana will do just fine.....You will want the Garmin AMPS Rugged Mount. It will require a RAM AMPS Square Based Ball, Short or Std Arm and a Ball-Bar Camp for 1/2" bar....
Somehow, the Rugged Mount was left out of my recent shipped order. I called and they are sending it along, but I probably won't have time to mount it before I head out next weekend on my ride.

I do already have a ball-bar mount on the KLR, with a short and medium arm, an Aqua Box, with a Garmin usb cig lighter cable wired thru the back of the box, a powerlet panel plug mounted on the aluminum dashbard, and a Y cable from the powerlet plug to a powerlet-cig lighter Y. I think I'll just run with that for this trip.

I have the ball-bar mount on the R12C, and a brake reservoir mount on the RTP, and just swap the Aqua Box between them as needed. I've been using the nuvi via this method for the last few years to keep it protected from the elements, and the Garmin usb cig lighter power/charger cable has been working fine with the Montana.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #4698
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawJaw View Post
I have searched and searched ... anyone have pics of how you ran the Rugged Mount wiring through the dash of a 990 in a clean way?

Sorry for being a pour search artist.

Sent from my Turkey Sammich using Tapatalk 2
Here's what I did (bikes a little dirty )

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #4699
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv View Post
Somehow, the Rugged Mount was left out of my recent shipped order. I called and they are sending it along, but I probably won't have time to mount it before I head out next weekend on my ride.

I do already have a ball-bar mount on the KLR, with a short and medium arm, an Aqua Box, with a Garmin usb cig lighter cable wired thru the back of the box, a powerlet panel plug mounted on the aluminum dashbard, and a Y cable from the powerlet plug to a powerlet-cig lighter Y. I think I'll just run with that for this trip.

I have the ball-bar mount on the R12C, and a brake reservoir mount on the RTP, and just swap the Aqua Box between them as needed. I've been using the nuvi via this method for the last few years to keep it protected from the elements, and the Garmin usb cig lighter power/charger cable has been working fine with the Montana.
If you are powering your Montana (or any other GPS) from the USB port you will eventually ware out the USB connector in the GPS from vibration and/or water. It was not designed for those conditions.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #4700
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
If you are powering your Montana (or any other GPS) from the USB port you will eventually ware out the USB connector in the GPS from vibration and/or water. It was not designed for those conditions.

Cheers,
+1

I got about 10K miles out of the USB power connector on my Garmin Oregon before it was totally hosed. I'd never power a bike mounted GPS with one of those again.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #4701
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Quote:
If you are powering your Montana (or any other GPS) from the USB port you will eventually ware out the USB connector in the GPS from vibration and/or water. It was not designed for those conditions. Cheers,
Agreed, yes, that USB port definitely isn't designed as a solid/waterproof connection.

However, the RAM Aquabox has worked fine with my Nuvi for a few years as the Aquabox is #1: waterproof, and #2: the unit is held inside within layers of soft closed cell foam sheets that can be custom cut/fit to size and protect the unit from vibration. The USB cable is fed through a proprietary waterproof maze into the box, and there isn't any stress on the plug. I haven't seen any other riders that use the Aquabox, but it's quite a neat system that utilizes a sensitive enough clear cover to be able to respond to the touch screen inside, even with riding gloves. Albeit, I don't usually wear real bulky gloves, Fox Dirtpaw gloves are my riding glove choice.

One advantage of the Rugged Mount, the speaker is included, right? Though I find spoken directions are a distraction, so turn it off. The Rugged Mount and Montana combination appear to be one of the best solution's, especially for the price.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #4702
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
One advantage of the Rugged Mount, the speaker is included, right? Though I find spoken directions are a distraction, so turn it off. The Rugged Mount and Montana combination appear to be one of the best solution's, especially for the price.
No external speaker on the Rugged Mount. You would need to plug a headset into the Audio Out 3mm Jack on the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #4703
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
You would need to plug a headset into the Audio Out 3mm Jack on the Montana.
Cheers,
it's good to note that the rugged mount also has an Audio jack - no need to connect directly to the montana, you can plug in the cabling of the rugged mount.
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #4704
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
it's good to note that the rugged mount also has an Audio jack - no need to connect directly to the montana, you can plug in the cabling of the rugged mount.
That's the second time someone's needed to remind me of the Audio Out jack on the Mounts cable. Guess that tells you what value I place in the Audio Out feature.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #4705
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Custom Map Tips?

I just created my first custom map!

I opened a park map pdf with Adobe Acrobat, saved it as a 150 dpi jpg, added it to Google Earth, georeferenced it, saved it to a Garmin\Custom Maps folder I created on the memory card, started the Montana, enabled the Topo and voila, there was the custom map overlaid on the Topo!

The resolution of this particular map left alot to be desired, and the transparency looks like it might be able to be toyed with. If the resolution can't be optimized, a better solution may be to create tracks overlaid on the jpeg in Google Earth and export them to the unit, but the Custom Maps capability is pretty cool!

Is this the thread to be looking for experience/tips for this Montana feature?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #4706
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Darn, batteries are cheep. just bring an eight pack and you are ready for the weekend! No water damage and the unit is perfect!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #4707
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,075
Quote:
There probably is a more appropriate thread for custom maps, but just so you know, it's not only the Montana which can use Custom Maps. The Colorado, Oregon, Dakota and 62/78 series also can.

This is the Garmin Custom Maps site.

Here are some Custom Map threads to get you started..

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 08:28 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #4708
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
....This is the Garmin Custom Maps site. Here are some Custom Map threads to get you started....
The Garmin Custom Maps site has the step by step process that I followed. I'll check out those threads. Thanks Emmbeedee.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #4709
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
I just created my first custom map!

You can also find information about Garmin Custom Maps and the Montana here..

Enjoy!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #4710
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty69 View Post
Darn, batteries are cheep. just bring an eight pack and you are ready for the weekend! No water damage and the unit is perfect!
My 600 won't run over 3.5- 4 hours on the AAs if you set the display not to time out. BTW I have ran the unit mounted sideways and have not suffered any water damage. The mount drains and the little voltage passing through the contacts is not affected by being wet. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote