ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #4756
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
In BaseCamp, from the HELP file:

Activity Profiles
You can select activity profiles for different activities. Each activity profile stores preferences for displaying the map and calculating routes. You can add custom profiles, and you can customize the included activity profiles.

Use whichever Activity suites your ride planning needs. Currently, none of that information is passed to the Montana except what Routing data is normally used to create a route.
Thanks mate -the part that you said it doesn't get passed on to the montana is what i was after
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #4757
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
seeing this behavior previously...

When setting the Zoom Level for "User Waypoints", the Montana considers my actual User Waypoints and what used to be called Custom POI's (on the Montana now called "Extras") to be the same.

Meaning if I load the POI-factory's "Free Wi-Fi" list (67K locations) onto the Montana using POI loader, and I have a few User Waypoints loaded, say "Saloons that I frequent" , the map (in a city) is completely obscured by the clutter of the Custom POI's (Free Wi-Fi). If I'm in a less densely populated area, and I want to pan out to get my bearings, again, way too cluttered with the Custom POI's.

On the 60/76 series, "User Waypoints" and user-loaded POI's are treated differently. You can set the zoom level of User Waypoints to be visible at 500 MILES resolution, but you won't see Custom POI's until you're zoomed in to 500ft or below (pre-set, not adjustable).

Anyone know a way around this? I want to see my WAYPOINTS when zoomed all the way out, and I don't want to see my POI's until I'm zoomed in close.

If not, can I make a motion to add it to the feature request list?
Feature Request #55 Created.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #4758
oxygenrace
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 68
Fuel gauge on montana?

Can the montana be calibrated to estimate when your fuel tank is getting low like the zumo?
oxygenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #4759
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenrace View Post
Can the montana be calibrated to estimate when your fuel tank is getting low like the zumo?
Nope, but might be worth submitting to Garmin as an enhancement request.

But doesn't your streamliner have that capability?

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 07:05 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #4760
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Voice Guidance on Montana 650

I have been scratching my head the past few days trying to figure out why my Montana only gives me voice commands when I go off route eg; 'Recalculating' 'Drive x klm to turn'.

I do not get any voice guidance on any turn that will occur during the route. I have the latest CN North America NT installed & Enabled along with the World Base Map, all other maps are 'Disabled'.

I have the Montana mounted in the Rugged mount with the audio output connected to a Sena SM10 (Bluetooth transmitter) & have my SMH10 headset paired with the SM10. I am going to try using an ear plug headset direct to the Montana in the car to see if that makes any difference. But my feeling is that is something else that i am missing!

Any one have an idea what i should check?
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #4761
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
I have been scratching my head the past few days trying to figure out why my Montana only gives me voice commands when I go off route eg; 'Recalculating' 'Drive x klm to turn'.

I do not get any voice guidance on any turn that will occur during the route. I have the latest CN North America NT installed & Enabled along with the World Base Map, all other maps are 'Disabled'.

I have the Montana mounted in the Rugged mount with the audio output connected to a Sena SM10 (Bluetooth transmitter) & have my SMH10 headset paired with the SM10. I am going to try using an ear plug headset direct to the Montana in the car to see if that makes any difference. But my feeling is that is something else that i am missing!

Any one have an idea what i should check?
Yep.

Which voice do you have enabled?

You will need a TTS voice for spoken street names, etc.

atlas cached screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 06:33 PM Reason: TTL= TTS
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #4762
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I have Aussie Karen, which I thought would be a TTL but maybe I'm wrong. I will try one of the standard voice files that were on the Montana.

OK, just did a test using the Demo mode & all the voice files work with ear bud headset in the audio out jack of the Montana. Maybe it has something to do with the Rugged Mount (I have one on each of 1150GSA & K1200LT) I will test again tomorrow.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Yep.

Which voice do you have enabled?

You will need a TTL voice for spoken street names, etc.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #4763
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Montana's Display RULES!

I asked the folks at GPSCity to compare the displays in bright sunlight of the new zumo 350 and the Montana.

Looks to me as though the zumo Team blew the opportunity to provide better display technology. The Montana display is still the "gold-standard" for outside use IMHO.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #4764
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Looks to me as though the zumo Team blew the opportunity to provide better display technology. The Montana display is still the "gold-standard" for outside use IMHO.,
Ugh, that's terrible. I'm sure the 350 will still sell to people who put too much emphasis on spec sheets, but I'm sure glad I have my Montana.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #4765
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
The Montana display is still the "gold-standard" for outside use IMHO.

Cheers,
No

276, 378, 478 are still far better. Less resolution, but better against the sun.

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 07:02 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #4766
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
No

276, 378, 478 are still far better. Less résolution, but better agaisnt the sun.

Paul Jr
I think the selection only consists of currently available gps units.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 08:26 PM
Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #4767
Jeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
No

276, 378, 478 are still far better. Less resolution, but better against the sun.

Paul Jr
I own a 276C and a Montana. As for a prefrence the Montana exceeds the 276C from my feeble eyes
Jeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #4768
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Montana vs. ZUMO 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Ugh, that's terrible. I'm sure the 350 will still sell to people who put too much emphasis on spec sheets, but I'm sure glad I have my Montana.
We purchased a ZUMO 350 to see if we could cut the regulator of the cradle wire and replace it with a USB plug so it could be powered from one of our TAPP USB power ports (it worked fine). Never thought to compare the screen brightness against the Montana on my KTM.
We'll put the Zumo on Kurt's GSX-R and I'll stick with my Montana thank you very much. I just got back from a pretty long ride (London to Samarkand UZ) and the Montana was everything I could have hoped for an more.
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #4769
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Help, Buggered Screen

Hi all

Once again the Montana has let me down

This time the screen is broken. It lights up but the touch screen itself will not work, so it is useless :(

I grabbed a Torx bit and dismantled it and on close inspection it seems there is a crack on one side and that may have let some water in between the glass and whatever else is there

It is still under warranty, but am not sure this will be covered, so if I can I need buy a replacement

The issue is I am now in China, so I am not sure how to go about it

Can anyone let me know if it is possible to buy the screen separate and if so what part numbers please?

I can probably take it to an electronics shop when I get to Urumqi in about 5 days, I am reluctant to send it anywhere

on a second failure, there is no longer any power coming out of my Rugged Mount, I had a bit of an off so there may be a broken wire I have not found yet, but I do not know which of the 6 pins are the power connectors, any ideas please?

Cheers from Kashgar
TravellingStrom
Old 08-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #4770
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
TS, sorry to hear you broke your Montana. I would not suggest sending it off from China unless you don't want to see it for quite a while. As for getting it repaired in Urumqi - well, not likely.

As for the Mount Cable connector - looking down on the Mount Pins:

Center Pin = 12vdc
First Pin to the Right of Center is Ground (-)

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote