ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #466
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Currently, only the zumo 6xx series converts a Track of very high point counts to a Route with no via points. The zumo's can turn Recalculation to Off so when using these types of Routes you don't screw them up when deviating from the path.

The Montana would need to support Recalc=Off before supporting this type of conversion.

Currently, BaseCamp v3.2.1 does not convert Tracks to Routes in this manner. It uses the start and end points but then defers to the Activity Profile to generate the route. You can set a preference to insert a preferred number of via points in the route when calculated but this is not working yet - fix will come in next update.

So, there is no way the generated route is going to have the same exact path as the Track did but it still can be useful (when it's working).
I think that is true for off road but the older Zumos do fine with track/route conversions for street or dirt road (if in mapset) use.

A 7500 track point conversion with just start and end points.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #467
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 757
Zumo: I've been bit a number of times with the zumo track to route conversion routine. All it takes is a very small roadless gap between roads to create a misroute. If the track perfectly follows the road at all times (using same mapset and version) then I've found the conversion works well.

One of the top reasons why I purchased the Montana was the track management. Only time I'll use a route now is for quick and dirty adhoc navigation. Where is food? Where is lodging? etc,. All planned trips are tracks.

As Dan mentioned above, track nav is very basic but still useful.

goto Track Mgr-->Select track-->View Map-->Go

Dist to Next (track start point) and Dist to Dest (track end point) data fields are now populated with values for your dashboard. This track is 55.6 miles long

If I was located at the track start point dist to dest would show 55.6mi
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #468
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Zumo: I've been bit a number of times with the zumo track to route conversion routine. All it takes is a very small roadless gap between roads to create a misroute. If the track perfectly follows the road at all times (using same mapset and version) then I've found the conversion works well.
I've had very good conversion on the zumo 660 (until v4.2). The test below is as tough as it gets for converting a Track to a Route.

Here is a "track" drawn in BC:

Here is the "track" converted to a Route on the zumo 660:

Notice how it never follows roads and I have the original Track showing on the map in Green under the Route's magenta so if there is any deviation you will see it:

There is a condition of vector change / track-point proximity that can cause the Route to slightly deviate from the Track but this condition has never caused more than a need to zoom out in order to see if I was on course. As I've mentioned previously, I'd like to see this capability on the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #469
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 757
Me think there's a big difference in the conversion routine between my zumo 550 and your 660. Appears the 660 finally got it right.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #470
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Me think there's a big difference in the conversion routine between my zumo 550 and your 660. Appears the 660 finally got it right.
Mostly but like I said there is still a condition in conversion where you can have deviation:

I still prefer the Montana for many reasons. If Garmin would put a few of the zumo features in the Montana I'd be in GPS nirvana

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #471
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:

I still prefer the Montana for many reasons. If Garmin would put a few of the zumo features in the Montana I'd be in GPS nirvana
So what do you prefer about the Montana for off road navigation over the Zumo 660/665 series?

Sounds like from what I read that the two software features that need to be added first to Montana are:

1. Turn off recalc

2. Track to route conversion routine - similar to 660/665Algorithm
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #472
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
So what do you prefer about the Montana for off road navigation over the Zumo 660/665 series?

Sounds like from what I read that the two software features that need to be added first to Montana are:

1. Turn off recalc

2. Track to route conversion routine - similar to 660/665Algorithm
Simple, I prefer the display on the Montana over anything else in Garmin's bike-friendly lineup. The Track Management is very good (needs just a couple of management friendly features). The routing and data management affinity with BaseCamp is a big plus moving forward. Don't see the zumo brand making that effort.

For me, setting Recalc to Off is a minor inconvenience since I don't share/exchange Routes very much (Tracks rule!). The Track to Route conversion (zumo660-like) is also not that important since the Montana does Track Navigation quite well. I don't rely upon spoken nav prompts when I'm out riding the dirt since my dirt helmet doesn't have audio - never felt the need for it. As for On Road nav using routing, the Montana does OK once I finally figured out it's pref's in a given Activity.

If I'm going to use Route's for On Road, I typically create them in BC and then create a Track from them before transferring both to the Montana. If the Montana should auto-route me somewhere I didn't plan when it calculates the Route I can easily see it on the map as I "show" the track for the route I'm navigating. At that point, a quick Route Edit and insertion of a Waypoint will make the route go where I intended. I still don't use voice prompts on-road - I found myself relying upon them instead of "navigating" the way I know how. Made me feel a little brain dead - and that's happening fast enough without help from the GPS

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #473
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,963
Your recent post just above
Quote:
Simple, I prefer the display on the Montana over anything else in Garmin's bike-friendly lineup. [snip]
For me, setting Recalc to Off is a minor inconvenience [snip]
If I'm going to use Route's for On Road [snip]
says exactly the way I feel about the Montana. The Montana is the best I've seen (for my intended use) from Garmin since I bought the 12XL; improvements will only make it more enjoyable.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #474
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:

If I'm going to use Route's for On Road, I typically create them in BC and then create a Track from them before transferring both to the Montana. If the Montana should auto-route me somewhere I didn't plan when it calculates the Route I can easily see it on the map as I "show" the track for the route I'm navigating. At that point, a quick Route Edit and insertion of a Waypoint will make the route go where I intended. I still don't use voice prompts on-road - I found myself relying upon them instead of "navigating" the way I know how. Made me feel a little brain dead - and that's happening fast enough without help from the GPS

Cheers,
So, let me get this straight.

Create a route in BC, then right click on the left, info side of the named route, then select "create track from selected route", then move them both to the Montana.

Then when your riding, folowing the route/track, but you get off route/track and the montana re auto-calculates and revieses the route, for good or bad. But the track remains in its orginal place as before?? Allowing you to see how to navigate back to the orginal route/track.

Have I got that correct?? My bike is down for parts for a few days, so I can't see for myself.....
Old 07-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #475
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

You got it Dagwood_55.

It's really not to complicated. BC creates a very detailed Track from Routes. When Transferred to the Montana the Tracks go to the Track Manager and the Routes go to the Route Planner. In the Track Manager just set your tracks to "Show on Map" and a color other than Magenta

When navigating the Route the Track will actually show-through the Magenta Route so you will definitely see when your Route has deviated from the original.

I use this a lot (did on my zumo 660 as well) and sometimes I actually follow the Route even if it is different from the Track - exploring is fun sometimes. Just last week I found a cool backcountry road this way. In the event that backcountry road had not been so cool, I just back track and follow the Track.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #476
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
The pointer is the direction to the Next Point.
I find the Pointer is almost useless, unless you are hiking. Trail riding you can be turning back and forth all over the place. Highway, mine always is pointing straight ahead.
Now if they would make a "PRE" pointer for highway navigation. ie: on the Oregon, on Route, etc, when you hit the .25 and .1 mile prior to a turn it dings at you, a "PRE" pointer would be good to indicate turn direction needed.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #477
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I don't use the Pointer myself but the person I was providing the info for was interested. As for Routing on-road, if I want "next turn" indicators I just change the Map Dashboard to "nuvi" and I can see the next turn preview arrow along with the name of the road. Plug into the audio jack and you'll hear voice prompts (using CNNA or CNEU). Without audio I know I wouldn't hear any "beep" from the GPS while I was riding.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #478
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
I still have the Oregon and waiting to upgrade. Guess I should have been more specific. "Pre" Pointer would be nice when on the Console view. I usually ride on this one, with Time to Dest/Next, DIstance to Dest/Next, Elevation, etc. Pointer would be good there...FOR ME!!
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:35 AM   #479
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Do you guys have problems turning it off ? Mine won't. Regarless of how long I press on the power button, it remains on. Turns on intantly though ... So the power button works ...

Paul Jr
Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #480
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Do you guys have problems turning it off ? Mine won't. Regarless of how long I press on the power button, it remains on. Turns on intantly though ... So the power button works ...

Paul Jr
I've had the occasional freeze up and had to remove the battery to power down but not a repeatable condition like you seem to have.

Did you try doing a Master Reset? Hold the Montana in Portrait position with Garmin Logo at bottom: Touch and hold the upper lefthand corner of the screen and press the Power On button. Keep pressing (not to hard) on the screen until you see the reset message.

If this doesn't fix the issue I'd call Garmin Product Support.

Dan
All Things GPS