ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #4876
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Playing around with adventures this morning...
Thanks for posting your adventure. It was nice to see what the finished product looks like in advance of going through all the steps.

Eric

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. - Unknown
"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #4877
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Can one of you Mac Basecamp geeks confirm this bug before I call it in?

v4.0.1.0 Get info on a route, select the info tab on the window -- the "Summary:" text is written in a light grey font on a only slightly darker light grey background. Barely legible.

Issue confirmed and acknowledged by Dev.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #4878
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
Quote:
Playing around with adventures this morning, here's the public link that was created or within basecamp you can use the Find and Filter Results using "dvwalker". I included the kitchen sink (waypoints, images, video and one mega multi-day joined track) to see how well things were supported. All in all Garmin has done a nice job.
Thanks for that! Haven't checked it yet but will do so asap.

Edit - I've found many Adventures to download through BaseCamp, including your ORNV 1000 Mi Outback.

When I plugged my Montana in it offered to create a bunch of Adventures from the tracks and photos, and that's when I realized just how easy this is. Sure makes me happy I bought the 650 with a camera onboard, that's for sure. I think I'm going to be using it more, in future!

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 05:29 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #4879
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
well, at least a number of us are getting consistent crash behavior with map-->options. Hope there's a fix soon, I typically run small data fields when traveling, and of coarse leaving on 2wk off-road trip next week. May have to restore back to v4.2...
+1...I was on a little side trip today and this kept happening to my unit. This latest firmware release is really buggy. Since I've "updated" mine:
1) freezes (a lot) when navigating
2) turns off completely when I press the options menu as posted above, and
3) generally looses it's way constantly (keeps telling me I'm off course, do I want a re-route...even though I'm not).

If it's easy enough I plan to go back to the previous version asap, until a better "new" release is issued. EDIT - Never mind, found the Garmin Montana Wiki, which has links to each firmware version and instructions on how to install. It's located HERE if anyone else is interested. Thanks.

srad600 screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 08:47 PM
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #4880
sierra_victor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
650 & 650T Memory

I have a question re the memory in the Montana.

If I purchase the 650T how much of the 3.5G internal memory is used by the topo maps, ie 3.5G ram - 3G maps leavs 500M ram?? plus uSD card (16G). or
If I purchase the 650 and buy the topo maps on uSD can I copy an image of the map data onto a larger uSD card ie a 16G card with a 4G partition.??? 3G ram plus uSD 12G & 4G (maps).
Can the Montana have a uSD card with one or more partitions??

Salty..
sierra_victor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #4881
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_victor View Post
If I purchase the 650T how much of the 3.5G internal memory is used by the topo maps, ie 3.5G ram - 3G maps leavs 500M ram?
The 650T has extra memory for the 100K topo maps from Garmin; it will have 3.5G RAM available to the user.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #4882
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_victor View Post
I have a question re the memory in the Montana.

If I purchase the 650T how much of the 3.5G internal memory is used by the topo maps, ie 3.5G ram - 3G maps leavs 500M ram?? plus uSD card (16G). or
If I purchase the 650 and buy the topo maps on uSD can I copy an image of the map data onto a larger uSD card ie a 16G card with a 4G partition.??? 3G ram plus uSD 12G & 4G (maps).
Can the Montana have a uSD card with one or more partitions??

Salty..
The User Available Memory for the 600/650 is 3.64GB, and the 650t is 7.35GB - The 100K Topo maps installed on the 650t will use up about half of that space, but it is available to you if you remove the 100K Topo and replace it with something you like better.

If you buy Pre-loaded maps on uSD card from Garmin, they are locked to that uSD card. You will not be able to move them to another uSD card.

I have never partitioned a uSD card, but I doubt the Montana would like that very much.

The 100K Topo's are well known to be off by as much as 300 yds in some areas, and are only good as a baseline reference. Garmins 24K Topo maps are much more detailed and accurate. You can also find some very good maps for Garmin GPSr units at GPSFileDepot.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #4883
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post

I have never partitioned a uSD card, but I doubt the Montana would like that very much.

I have tried this. It is not so useful.

My Garmin 550 Zumo will recognize the first partition, but will not recognize any other partitions.
I imagine the Montana would also read only the first partition.

My camera, which is about 8 years old Casio and can only use up to a 1GB SD card will also recognize only the first partition. In this case partitioning can be useful since 1GB SD cards are nearly impossible to find at good prices. So I can use 2GB cards that I partition into 2 partitions for this use.
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #4884
sierra_victor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
650 & 650T Memory

Thanks all for the info. As I am i Oz it looks like I can only get the 650T any way, and the 1:100K maps will have to do at the present time.

Salty
sierra_victor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #4885
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Playing around with adventures this morning, here's the public link that was created or within basecamp you can use the Find and Filter Results using "dvwalker". I included the kitchen sink (waypoints, images, video and one mega multi-day joined track) to see how well things were supported. All in all Garmin has done a nice job.
Hey that's pretty cool. I did not realize the end product comes out like that.

Thanks for putting that together and sharing it with us

Jon...
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #4886
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Latest Software Woes

Anyone else been having a hell of a time with 4.4?
Up until now, my unit has been trouble free.

With 4.4 loaded, if I hit the menu button in map view (with the data point sidebar) the unit will immediately crash.
No matter what I tried, I ended up having to revert back to 4.2

On a side note, I've always thought my internal audio output on the device has been INSANELY low.
I've always been able to hear my 60csx just fine riding along as it beeps at me, but never the Montana.
Just discovered the diagnostic mode last night, and when I get to the audio page, I get a big message saying "INCOMPATIBLE AUDIO" and none of the tests will work. Same message appears with headphones plugged in, although I will get sound through that port. This seem unusual?

EDIT: SORRY! Just went back far enough to find others reports of this issue. What a PIA. Would still love some feedback on the audio though. Thanks!

jconly screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 07:53 AM
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #4887
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Anyone else been having a hell of a time with 4.4?
Up until now, my unit has been trouble free.

With 4.4 loaded, if I hit the menu button in map view (with the data point sidebar) the unit will immediately crash.
No matter what I tried, I ended up having to revert back to 4.2

On a side note, I've always thought my internal audio output on the device has been INSANELY low.
I've always been able to hear my 60csx just fine riding along as it beeps at me, but never the Montana.
Just discovered the diagnostic mode last night, and when I get to the audio page, I get a big message saying "INCOMPATIBLE AUDIO" and none of the tests will work. Same message appears with headphones plugged in, although I will get sound through that port. This seem unusual?

EDIT: SORRY! Just went back far enough to find others reports of this issue. What a PIA. Would still love some feedback on the audio though. Thanks!
What you see on the "Diagnostic-Audio Test Page" is normal. Edit: Sorry I said that poorly. Have you selected a Tone with a higher volume? I believe Tone 7 has a high volume.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 08:25 AM
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #4888
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

I do yes, but it still remains pitifully quiet. Even the test tones at 100% through the headphones out.

Can you guys hear your beeps through the internal speaker while you're rolling?
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #4889
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
I do yes, but it still remains pitifully quiet. Even the test tones at 100% through the headphones out.

Can you guys hear your beeps through the internal speaker while you're rolling?
Volume is a very subjective thing in this case. On the Bike I can only hear tones when the engine is off and I have my XD Aria on. If I have my Schuberth C3 on, no sounds heard. I don't rely upon the beeper anyway.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #4890
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
In anticipation of creating a BaseCamp Adventure, I made a point of using the camera in my Montana 650 today. I know I can use any camera even if it's not connected to a gps, but the Montana makes it all so easy. I had the unit angled in such a way as I could take quick shots, and still see the map.

These are some of the pics I took. The BC Adventure will come later.

And this one was taken after a little rain.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote