ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #4921
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Thanks, that may be the problem I have two GPSrs and two versions of CN NT I may have been using the wrong one...
Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #4922
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
No Crashes So Far

I have been on the road since Tuesday 4th, and so far haven't had any crashes. I am running the latest update to the Montana (loaded just Monday...now that's trusting Garmin) & created all my routes in BC (Latest version). I think I have 10 days of routes loaded. What I found interesting is that once I started driving & using the first route all the other routes seem to be in order of my driving & I don't remember that being the case when I loaded them on the Montana.
But I must say I am happy it is working so good, & the plus is the roads I found on Google Earth have been fantastic, I just love Montana, Idaho, Washington. Once this ride is over next Friday at Home, I think I'll do another with my riding buddies the last week of September, & hopefully beat the really iffy weather .
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #4923
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Auto mount??

OK guys, I have had the 600 since last year and have had no problems using it and the rugged mount on the bike. I am now looking at a mount for the truck. The suction cup mount on my truck windshield will put the unit too far away to reach. My question is... Will the mount/holder detach from the arm to the suction cup?? I want to end up with something similar to the rugged mount that has a speaker built in to it. Something I can attach to a ram-style arm with a speaker. GH
GH41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #4924
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
OK guys, I have had the 600 since last year and have had no problems using it and the rugged mount on the bike. I am now looking at a mount for the truck. The suction cup mount on my truck windshield will put the unit too far away to reach. My question is... Will the mount/holder detach from the arm to the suction cup?? I want to end up with something similar to the rugged mount that has a speaker built in to it. Something I can attach to a ram-style arm with a speaker. GH
Yes, I had to snap the two together when I opened the box.

Don't have it here with me to measure the ball socket size, but I am sure it is probably the Garmin standard size.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #4925
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post

Don't have it here with me to measure the ball socket size, but I am sure it is probably the Garmin standard size.
In the stock picture it looks like the ball on the arm snaps into the bracket that holds the Montana. I guess the best case scenario would be.. the suction mount being able to attach to something 90 degrees to the display. The Montana mount looks a lot like the auto mount I had for a Nuvi 660. The range of adjustment was limited. GH
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #4926
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
I guess the best case scenario would be.. the suction mount being able to attach to something 90 degrees to the display.
What about this?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #4927
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
In the stock picture it looks like the ball on the arm snaps into the bracket that holds the Montana. I guess the best case scenario would be.. the suction mount being able to attach to something 90 degrees to the display. The Montana mount looks a lot like the auto mount I had for a Nuvi 660. The range of adjustment was limited. GH
We use the Montana's Automotive mount on the Garmin beanbag. It's not pretty, but it works.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #4928
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Is anyone else able to successfully [Delete] or [Make Favorite] any [Archived Tracks] from within [Track Manager]?

Each time I do either, they are removed from the [Archived Tracks] list, until I exit and re-enter [Archived Tracks], where they are again listed.

I am also experiencing the exact same behavior on my Oregon x50 GPSr(s) with v5.90 - May be related to new Garmin Adventure Software.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #4929
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 542
What's the maximum size in pixels for the custom maps at Montana?
I was told that it is 1024x1024 but I accidentally made a bigger and it works!
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #4930
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
What's the maximum size in pixels for the custom maps at Montana?
I was told that it is 1024x1024 but I accidentally made a bigger and it works!
Images over 1 mega pixel (1024x1024 pixels, 512x2048 pixels, etc.) will be rendered at a reduced resolution on the unit. If this is causing a problem for your map, you can split the image and use multiple jpegs inside of one kmz file.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #4931
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
We use the Montana's Automotive mount on the Garmin beanbag. It's not pretty, but it works.
I have been using a Garmin beanbag in motorhome, van, & car for years with Nuvi. I love it. Sets on dash, van console, hand it to pasanger to make changes (would never use it while driving).

Just waiting for Garmin to finish designing the Montana to replace Nuvi.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #4932
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post

Atlas, that is sort of the way it looks in the very small picture of the mount I found. I don't care for the ram ball mounts. I will probably use a Z-Technik arm like I have on the bike. Is there anyway you could post a picture of the mount without it snapped onto the ball? The best solution would be attaching the mount to the plate of the Z-Technik arm. Thanks for your help. GH
Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #4933
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
What I'd like to see is a configurable option for power off time when external power is removed.

I use the Montana on my dirtbike and due to vibration at highway speeds, I frequently see the message "external power lost, powering off in 30... 29... 28...". Then t "finds" external power again and the message comes back on. This happens a lot.

It would be nice to be able to configure the GPS to say ignore power losses for less than 30s or less than 1 minute.

Of course the other issue I have to fix here is make sure that it's not actually power to the cradle that's being interrupted at highway speeds.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #4934
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
What I'd like to see is a configurable option for power off time when external power is removed.

I use the Montana on my dirtbike and due to vibration at highway speeds, I frequently see the message "external power lost, powering off in 30... 29... 28...". Then t "finds" external power again and the message comes back on. This happens a lot.

It would be nice to be able to configure the GPS to say ignore power losses for less than 30s or less than 1 minute.

Of course the other issue I have to fix here is make sure that it's not actually power to the cradle that's being interrupted at highway speeds.
It most likely is your Lithium battery moving in the compartment. Put some tape on the sides of the battery at the contact end or use a foam earplug on top of the battery this will keep the battery from vibrating and you will not have those "power/battery" issues.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #4935
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post

Sounds like a reasonable request to me!