ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #4936
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
I cant seem to load roads and rec to my montana with CNV loaded
is roads and rec supported on this unit? its my favorite maps for off road in the desert
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #4937
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I have, in the past, found it necessary to roll back to an older firmware, and then, using windows explorer, with all hidden files made visible, deleted all files and folders on the Montana. Rebooting after forces the unit to rewrite everything fresh.
Let me see if I have this correct. You did not Master Reset the Montana. You then connected it to your PC and deleted ALL of the files form the Montana\Garmin directory. Then you disconnected and rebooted. That must have been a quick reboot not even having a Basemap. You didn't mention that this will also leave any and all data/settings in the Montana internal flash memory so when the Montana rebooted you would still have the profile settings from the last boot-up but without any dependent files (background JPGs, shortcuts, maps).

Although the Montana can't be harmed in this manner, you might have posted that anyone wanting to do this should backup the Montana FIRST before deleting all of their personal data (profiles, shortcuts, JPG's, etc.)

Not setting the unit to the Recreation Profile and doing a Master Reset before doing any changes to the Montana support files is not going to fix much of anything.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #4938
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
I cant seem to load roads and rec to my montana with CNV loaded
is roads and rec supported on this unit? its my favorite maps for off road in the desert
Do you have R&R installed on your PC so that you can see it in MapSource and/or BaseCamp? If so, you can use MapSource or MapInstall to load it to the Montana. I run it on mine occasionally. If you are using a Mac computer you will have to find a PC to use for converting R&R to a gmap install file for Mac-BC.

Or, if you don't want to install it to BaseCamp just find the IMG compiled map and copy it on your Montana/µSD Card. I use JaVaWa Device Manager to make the map visible in BaseCamp - I have to many other maps I use installed in BaseCamp and my little MacBook Air is running out of disc.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 09:30 AM
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #4939
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
2. Auto-save of the track that occurred on a seemingly random basis. On 9/7, my entire day was recorded as a single track. I saved & cleared it at the end of the day. On 9/8, the unit auto-saved and restarted tracking six times. Again, I saved & cleared at days end. Then, on 9/9, it was all recorded as a single track again. This isn't a show stopper as I can join the partial tracks in BaseCamp. But what the heck?

One question I have regarding BaseCamp, is about moving data to/from the Montana. When using a 60CX and Mapsource, I had to use the send to / receive from functions to move data. In BaseCamp, I am finding that just using drag 'n drop seems to work best. Is that the case for most folks?
What do you have your Track Archive set up for? I have mine set to Daily and it does that once every 24hrs:

Setup -> Tracks -> Auto Archive -> When Full, Daily, Weekly

As to BaseCamp and moving data to from the GPS, I use both and they seem to work equally well for me.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #4940
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Let me see if I have this correct. You did not Master Reset the Montana. You then connected it to your PC and deleted ALL of the files form the Montana\Garmin directory. Then you disconnected and rebooted. That must have been a quick reboot not even having a Basemap. You didn't mention that this will also leave any and all data/settings in the Montana internal flash memory so when the Montana rebooted you would still have the profile settings from the last boot-up but without any dependent files (background JPGs, shortcuts, maps).

Although the Montana can't be harmed in this manner, you might have posted that anyone wanting to do this should backup the Montana FIRST before deleting all of their personal data (profiles, shortcuts, JPG's, etc.)

Not setting the unit to the Recreation Profile and doing a Master Reset before doing any changes to the Montana support files is not going to fix much of anything.

Cheers,
Yea, I didn't bother with the Master Reset first... just deleted everything and then master reset it.
Wish I would have known that not ALL of the files would come back.
Managed to get my hands on a basemap again, but am now just noticing that all of the background and imagery are gone. It did maintain the recreational profile, although the others I can download. Interestingly the default shortcuts have come back after the unit sat on for a little.

Perhaps someone could help me out and send over all of extra background data that I am now missing?
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #4941
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Perhaps someone could help me out and send over all of extra background data that I am now missing?
The link I provided earlier includes the appropriate wallpapers with the profiles that use them.

Simply download, unzip, copy and paste to the Montana\Garmin\Profiles\ directory.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #4942
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Yea, I didn't bother with the Master Reset first... just deleted everything and then master reset it.
Wish I would have known that not ALL of the files would come back.
Managed to get my hands on a basemap again, but am now just noticing that all of the background and imagery are gone. It did maintain the recreational profile, although the others I can download. Interestingly the default shortcuts have come back after the unit sat on for a little.

Lesson learned - Backup your Montana\Garmin directory to your computer if you make changes on the Montana you want to be able to recover.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #4943
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The link I provided earlier includes the appropriate wallpapers with the profiles that use them.

Simply download, unzip, copy and paste to the Montana\Garmin\Profiles\ directory.
Gotcha, thanks!

Can someone tell me if there is any other main directory I am missing?
This is what I currently have in the root Garmin Folder

Screen Shot 2012-09-10 at 1.05.29 PM by justin.conly, on Flickr
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #4944
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Lesson learned - Backup your Montana\Garmin directory to your computer if you make changes on the Montana you want to be able to recover.

Cheers,
Absolutely. I would suggest doing so as outlined here. If anyone has not yet done so, this is something that should be done when you first get your Montana GPSr, and periodically afterwards. I make fresh archives of my Montana before and after each firmware update.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #4945
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Gotcha, thanks!

Can someone tell me if there is any other main directory I am missing?
This is what I currently have in the root Garmin Folder

Screen Shot 2012-09-10 at 1.05.29 PM by justin.conly, on Flickr
Take a look here.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #4946
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,803
I think they suggested you do a reset, not manually delete your data.

Quote:
Well, I deleted all the data on the unit (not a format, just trashed) and gave it a restart.
In case anyone is wondering, the unit does not restore all of the files.

All profiles and shortcuts that are supplied from the factory are now gone, as is the basemap!!

I've rolled back my firmware too, that didn't bring these back either.. tried a hard reset as well, no go.
So looks like they're gone.

I can live with the loss of the profiles and shortcuts, as I didn't really use the factor supplied options anyway... just made my own. But the basemap, isn't this kind of important? Searched everywhere online and couldn't find it available for download.

Anyone want to send me theirs
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #4947
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Take a look here.
Damn, you guys are the best...
I'm going to dig through EVERY page on that wiki. I've looked at a lot, but clearly I've missed the most important parts for me right now!

Sorry I've been such a PITA.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #4948
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
Turn by turn Nav has stopped working.....Motorcycle Profile...hit go home and it just shows a strait line to my address....then when you go back to the main menu its on recreation mode....Version 4.4 100K topo and CN NA maps loaded and enabled.

I'll add is won't go into Automotive profile....just keeps going back to recreational.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #4949
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Turn by turn Nav has stopped working.....Motorcycle Profile...hit go home and it just shows a strait line to my address....then when you go back to the main menu its on recreation mode....Version 4.4 100K topo and CN NA maps loaded and enabled.

I'll add is won't go into Automotive profile....just keeps going back to recreational.
Just to be sure, are you sure your routing preference did not get switched to 'direct' somehow?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #4950
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Montana Firmware 4.50

Montana Firmware 4.50 is available today.

Firmware 4.50:
Fixed intermittent shutdown when pressing the menu button on the map.
Fixed vertical spacing and font of the location data field.

Use WebUpdater or get the GCD file directly.