ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #4936
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 4,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
What I'd like to see is a configurable option for power off time when external power is removed.
This is my bigest complaint with Garmin, when they start developing a new unit, it is always on a blank piece of paper. If they are interested in real brand loyality, they would start with all the features that are popular with current units.

All the hand helds that I know of have setup option for loss of power, I have all mine set to "Stay On".

I would really like to upgrade from a 76Cx to Montana but I just don't want give them any money until they provide me with what I have NOW plus somoe now features, not give up some current ones for some new ones.

I will also never buy a new GM vehicle again.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #4937
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Sounds like a reasonable request to me!
Yep, sounded good to a lot of us early owners too. After nine months and no joy, I think it's probably rather far down on the "Want List".

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #4938
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Yep, sounded good to a lot of us early owners too. After nine months and no joy, I think it's probably rather far down on the "Want List".

Cheers,
Yes, I have that as Request #20 - But, as you point out, it seems Garmin is not really interested in our requests, or making a product their customers want, but rather making the product they think their customers want.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #4939
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Yes, I have that as Request #20 - But, as you point out, it seems Garmin is not really interested in our requests, or making a product their customers want, but rather making the product they think their customers want.
In general, I agree. But, I do believe that the Montana team has done a reasonable job of listening and providing features that the majority of their customers have requested.

Not saying there aren't still features I'd like to see on my Montana - hence the on-going Feature Request List(s). Unfortunately, the longer the [Montana] brand is on the street the less likely we are to see many feature updates: i.e, new code.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #4940
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Unfortunately, the longer the [Montana] brand is on the street the less likely we are to see many feature updates: i.e, new code.

Cheers,
Such is the story of every Garmin handheld GPSr... And this is why I have so many Garmin GPSr units - I must continue to buy the latest and greatest to get the features I desire. The Montana, for example, has many features Oregon users requested, and never received.

I wonder what will replace the Montana?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #4941
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jconly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 349
Ugh, my Montana was perfect until the 4.4 update.
But due to that crash with the data fields present, I was forced to roll back.

Ever since, the problems haven't stopped. Sure, all repeatable crashes have subsided with 4.2 rollback, but now other issues have come to be.

Most frustratingly, draw time and even lack of rendering entirely. Especially in the city, where there is lots of smaller roads. This wasnt a problem before, but now it takes so long to render its almost unusable. Despite the stop / go traffic; I'm usually on an entirely different tile before the previous one loads.

I'm wondering if somehow the folder structure on the Montana itself may be damaged somehow. Is there a way to COMPLETELY reset the unit? I know the hard reset, but it doesn't really seem to clear everything and replace all data on the device from scratch. I think it just clears the settings file?

So, it it possible to delete everything and regenerate as it it was straight from factory?
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #4942
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Ugh, Is there a way to COMPLETELY reset the unit? I know the hard reset, but it doesn't really seem to clear everything and replace all data on the device from scratch. I think it just clears the settings file?

So, it it possible to delete everything and regenerate as it it was straight from factory?
I have, in the past, found it necessary to roll back to an older firmware, and then, using windows explorer, with all hidden files made visible, deleted all files and folders on the Montana. Rebooting after forces the unit to rewrite everything fresh.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #4943
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jconly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I have, in the past, found it necessary to roll back to an older firmware, and then, using windows explorer, with all hidden files made visible, deleted all files and folders on the Montana. Rebooting after forces the unit to rewrite everything fresh.
Ah perfect, thanks for sharing this. I wanted to give that a go, thought about formatting the unit, but wanted to e sure it would rewrite from hardware. Going to give this a go tomorrow.
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #4944
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Ah perfect, thanks for sharing this. I wanted to give that a go, thought about formatting the unit, but wanted to e sure it would rewrite from hardware. Going to give this a go tomorrow.
I would never suggest formatting a gps. Do a reset, but never a format.

And before you make things too complicated, check to see if the update enabled all your maps. That would certainly slow the unit to a crawl.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #4945
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jconly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 349
Well, I deleted all the data on the unit (not a format, just trashed) and gave it a restart.
In case anyone is wondering, the unit does not restore all of the files.

All profiles and shortcuts that are supplied from the factory are now gone, as is the basemap!!

I've rolled back my firmware too, that didn't bring these back either.. tried a hard reset as well, no go.
So looks like they're gone.

I can live with the loss of the profiles and shortcuts, as I didn't really use the factor supplied options anyway... just made my own. But the basemap, isn't this kind of important? Searched everywhere online and couldn't find it available for download.

Anyone want to send me theirs
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #4946
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Well, I deleted all the data on the unit (not a format, just trashed) and gave it a restart.
In case anyone is wondering, the unit does not restore all of the files.

All profiles and shortcuts that are supplied from the factory are now gone, as is the basemap!!

I've rolled back my firmware too, that didn't bring these back either.. tried a hard reset as well, no go.
So looks like they're gone.

I can live with the loss of the profiles and shortcuts, as I didn't really use the factor supplied options anyway... just made my own. But the basemap, isn't this kind of important? Searched everywhere online and couldn't find it available for download.

Anyone want to send me theirs
Original Profiles are available here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #4947
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jconly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Original Profiles are available here.
You rock, thank you... (should have dug in deeper through the wiki I guess)
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #4948
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer
 
Offcamber's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,548
So first real ride this weekend with the Montana. 650T in the AMPS mount. First ride using a route I made in Basecamp.... started out fine then the unit crashed about 20 minutes into the ride...just got a white screen. Had to pull the battery and restart the unit. The rest of that ride went ok...

Next day I was riding but not following a route, had the dashboard up....after about 15 miles at around 40-50mph...the screen started spinning as if I was turning the unit around. Went back to the map screen and it stopped. The unit worked for the quite awhile until at one point the map screen locked up....I could turn it off and on in he AMPS mount and get to other menus but when I went to the map is showed the motorcycle icon in the middle of a white screen and the bar at the top said traveling on i89, even though I had been off the highway for sometime...

Not sure if these are common issues or isolated. Running 4.40 (was forced to upgrade from 4.2 when I downloaded the current CN North America maps.
__________________
"Beer cans explode with a nice loud pop when they are hit by a Heidenau K60 at 40 miles an hour. Now my bike smells like last call..." Me
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #4949
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,320
I also had my first real test of the Montana. 650T in AMPS mount, 1200+ miles to AR and back.

The unit performed very well. I was a little worried about running 4.40 after reading the thread here, but decided not to roll back to 4.20. I didn't have an real issues, just a couple of things that were a little naggy.

1. The flip-flopping from portrait to landscape. Yes, it caused me to lock orientation in the settings. No biggie.
2. Auto-save of the track that occurred on a seemingly random basis. On 9/7, my entire day was recorded as a single track. I saved & cleared it at the end of the day. On 9/8, the unit auto-saved and restarted tracking six times. Again, I saved & cleared at days end. Then, on 9/9, it was all recorded as a single track again. This isn't a show stopper as I can join the partial tracks in BaseCamp. But what the heck?

One question I have regarding BaseCamp, is about moving data to/from the Montana. When using a 60CX and Mapsource, I had to use the send to / receive from functions to move data. In BaseCamp, I am finding that just using drag 'n drop seems to work best. Is that the case for most folks?
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #4950
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
So first real ride this weekend with the Montana. 650T in the AMPS mount. First ride using a route I made in Basecamp.... started out fine then the unit crashed about 20 minutes into the ride...just got a white screen. Had to pull the battery and restart the unit. The rest of that ride went ok...

Next day I was riding but not following a route, had the dashboard up....after about 15 miles at around 40-50mph...the screen started spinning as if I was turning the unit around. Went back to the map screen and it stopped. The unit worked for the quite awhile until at one point the map screen locked up....I could turn it off and on in he AMPS mount and get to other menus but when I went to the map is showed the motorcycle icon in the middle of a white screen and the bar at the top said traveling on i89, even though I had been off the highway for sometime...

Not sure if these are common issues or isolated. Running 4.40 (was forced to upgrade from 4.2 when I downloaded the current CN North America maps.
Don't pull the battery to cure a white screen - it'll likely only happen again. Take the Montana off the mount and hold your finger on the power button for 20 seconds to shut it down properly.

And lock your screen orientation through Settings/Display if it flips around while riding. This is more likely to happen if the Montana is flat, or nearly flat on the mount.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014