ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 230 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #5011
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It's almost guaranteed that the Montana when used on a Motorcycle will eventually have the battery problem. Some will see it much sooner than others, but both my wife's and mine started giving the battery shutdowns after a couple of months, even on relatively smooth paved roads. But not since I put the earplugs into the battery cases.

But this is on a couple of DR650 and F650/800GS, not 690 KTMs.
True, the 690 is much smoother then the DR so I guess it may take longer. Although, so far I've only had it on the DR so I may be back in the same boat.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #5012
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
Well I 'll Jam a bunch of earplugs in there and see what happens on the way home...

Wish me luck!!

UPDATE: Well I made it home via the interstate without it crashing...Didn't have any earplugs (thought I had some on the bike) the only things I did different was I changed the screen lock back to auto and kept the RPMs under 6k highest I hit was about 5700...I can do 70MPH at about 5200 RPMs. Just no sudden hard acceleration I guess when I'm using the unit. I also am going up the vibration isolation. I'll post some pics of what I did.....

Offcamber screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 03:07 PM
Offcamber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #5013
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Just going to add my $0.02 on the battery/power disconnect issue...

Until recently (on my dirt bike - single cyl thumper) I would often see the battery issue. Even with two plugs in the battery compartment *AND* a wedge of cardboard at the other end of the battery.

Recently, I re-did the wiring on my bike.

Now with a week of commuting in situations that would previously have had the unit randomly resetting itself, I've seen none of those issue.

Cured? Only time will tell.
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #5014
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 688
Is there any way to stop a firmware update from turning off all my stored tracks? It just such a pain to go through over 100 tracks one at a time in the track manager and set them back to "show on map".
On the plus side- I haven't had any performance issues with my 600 since the 4.20 update.
So, I've got that goin' for me.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #5015
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Is there any way to stop a firmware update from turning off all my stored tracks? It just such a pain to go through over 100 tracks one at a time in the track manager and set them back to "show on map"
There must be a better way for you to keep those tracks visible on your Montana, aside from leaving them as visible tracks. I haven't done it but I remember someone describing how to convert tracks to a map layer with software... I think it was Hogwild.

Here's something about it: http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/m...q3/014781.html

And this may be the tool to do it: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Dr Rock describes another method here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...76&postcount=6

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 08:22 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #5016
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I did that...its defiantly vibration harmonic issue. The unit worked fine when hooked to the bikes power but not physically to the bike. I have a lot of dampening already. I'll try more.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Without seeing your setup, it is hard to make suggestions.

However, perhaps instead of further attempts to isolate from harmonics, you can add an adjustable weight to the mount itself to 'tune out' the offending harmonics.

Without specialized equipment, this would just be a try-as-you-go type design process, thus the 'adjustable' weight.

Many automotive engineers will add strange looking appendages to suspension and/or exhaust components to tune out offensive harmonics.

Just a thought.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #5017
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Is there any way to stop a firmware update from turning off all my stored tracks? It just such a pain to go through over 100 tracks one at a time in the track manager and set them back to "show on map".

Combine them all into a single GPX and convert to single IMG map, then enable that map?

http://www.gpx2img.com/
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #5018
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,974
Quote:
Could you make a shortcut that makes each one visible. You'd have to keep it current with the addition and deletion of tracks, but it would be faster than doing it manually, one by one.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #5019
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Could you make a shortcut that makes each one visible. You'd have to keep it current with the addition and deletion of tracks, but it would be faster than doing it manually, one by one.
Current (v4.50) Montana firmware is quite lacking very inflexible with shortcut capabilities, especially with Tracks.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #5020
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Without seeing your setup, it is hard to make suggestions.

However, perhaps instead of further attempts to isolate from harmonics, you can add an adjustable weight to the mount itself to 'tune out' the offending harmonics.

Without specialized equipment, this would just be a try-as-you-go type design process, thus the 'adjustable' weight.

Many automotive engineers will add strange looking appendages to suspension and/or exhaust components to tune out offensive harmonics.

Just a thought.
Interesting idea....I'm not an engineer but I'll give that some thought. The odd thing was it does it on two different bikes with completely different engine. One is a Parallel Twin the other a single cylinder thumper. Both are buzzy engines.....
Adding some extra dampening is easy so I'll try that first.

Offcamber screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 07:07 AM
Offcamber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #5021
atreiou
XR 650R Rider

Oddometer: 60
Hi guys, I need to build a power supply for my new montana 600

I will use a condenser and a dc/dc converter (traco power)
I will do this because my XR 650R with electrex stator, at idle give me only 9-10 Vdc

I need to know the maximum power consumption (in amps) trough the cradle cable without battery inside the unit.

I know that my old GPS V want about 0,45 Amps, but I can't find that value for the montana..

thanks in advance.

Andrea
atreiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #5022
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Ok here is a pic of my set up...the red arrow shows where I intend to put more dampening material. Hopefully this will help....if it doesn't I may just send the unit back to Garmin and hope the replacement works.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #5023
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Interesting idea....I'm not an engineer but I'll give that some thought. The odd thing was it does it on two different bikes with completely different engine. One is a Parallel Twin the other a single cylinder thumper. Both are buzzy engines.....
Adding some extra dampening is easy so I'll try that first.
BTW, you suggest several times if you stay below ~6K RPM, no issue exist.

Perhaps a quick check of DC voltage quality at 6K RPM and above? Maybe too much AC voltage is present?

Just thinking out loud :)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #5024
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,360
Offcamber, I'm with atlas......add some mass to the upper section of that mount instead of more neoprene. You don't need more damping. You need to change the resonance frequency of that mount. A piece of 1/4" thick steel bar placed between the cradle and the mount as a spacer should change things significantly.

MN_Smurf screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 08:06 AM
MN_Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #5025
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
BTW, you suggest several times if you stay below ~6K RPM, no issue exist.

Perhaps a quick check of DC voltage quality at 6K RPM and above? Maybe too much AC voltage is present?

Just thinking out loud :)

I consider that however when not physically connected tot he bike...just removed the AMPs from the mount shown above I can run it the red line and the GPS is fine...so I'm pretty sure power isn't an issue.