ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #5011
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
No need to make stuff up either if you don't agree. I've been around Garmin products even longer then you and I've gone through many. The battery compartment issue has been around since my very FIRST E-Map. I've also experienced it with at least 3 other units.

The FACT is, these issues have nothing to do with the MODEL, it has to do with the particular unit. So what, your wife ended up with a good working refurb. You ended up with a good working brand new unit. Just goes to prove it's a complete crap shoot.
What do you think I've "made up"?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #5012
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
What do you think I've "made up"?
The nothing to worry about refurb units. Plenty of forums with plenty of people stating just the opposite and speaking from first hand EXPERIENCE, as well as my own. Out of the FOUR refub units I've had, only one of them worked correctly.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #5013
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
The nothing to worry about refurb units. Plenty of forums with plenty of people stating just the opposite and speaking from first hand EXPERIENCE, as well as my own. Out of the FOUR refub units I've had, only one of them worked correctly.
Sorry, I didn't make that up. I said so based on my experience and that of the people I know with Garmin units.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #5014
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Actually contrast to what I KNOW, I've had 2 478 refurbs and they were bigger junk then the original unit I bought. Stick to talking about what you know and stop trying to pretend you think you have a clue what other people have actually experienced.

Dude, you need to cut down on the caffeine.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #5015
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sorry, I didn't make that up. I said so based on my experience and that of the people I know with Garmin units.
Right, that's what you said.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #5016
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Right, that's what you said.
Can I say it any better than that?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #5017
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Offcamber, before you send it back for a refurb, can you mount it on the bike without the isolators and see what happens? I suspect the isolators you have in there are setting up a resonance that's really exploiting a possible weakness in your unit. It would be worth a try, IMHO...you can't really break the unit any more than it is.
I did that...its defiantly vibration harmonic issue. The unit worked fine when hooked to the bikes power but not physically to the bike. I have a lot of dampening already. I'll try more.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #5018
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I bought one of the first 600's available...
it shut down multiple times with the stock battery...
emailed Garmin and they sent a new battery...
had no effect.

Started using AA lithium batteries and it worked just fine..
Had to send that unit back due to screen calibration issues and the newer unit had the same problem with the stock battery...
Again, I put the AA's in and it stopped the problem....
The vibrations thru the bars/rubber isolated mount/Garmin rugged cradle on my 690 are no doubt causing the shutdowns....
I waited until the first run after the screen calibration issue was solved. first thing I did was put foam weather strip tape between the battery and device and have never had the vibration problem. Mine is mostly used for stone road use so it gets more then it's share of vibration caused by the stock F800 forks.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #5019
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 453
Ok, can we cut the "Garmin sucks" or "Garmin doesn't suck" crap and get back to solutions to issues and how to's? None of the calling names and stuff helps. Sorry some people have had issues and are not happy but venting about it here doesn't help anything.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #5020
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,799
Quote:
Over the years I have received a couple Nuvi referbs from Garmin, never had any problems with any of them.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #5021
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
I have no issue with refurbs per say. If the unit had a definitive problem then I bet they fix it np. However I can see my unit going back...the tech checks it over can't find an issue and just puts it back in circulation. Then some poor slob like me gets it as an exchange and has issues...

Old 09-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #5022
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I have no issue with refurbs per say. If the unit had a definitive problem then I bet they fix it np. However I can see my unit going back...the tech checks it over can't find an issue and just puts it back in circulation. Then some poor slob like me gets it as an exchange and has issues...

You said you tried with AAs, have you tried leaving the battery tray empty and running solely on bike power? This would tell if there truly is an intermittent power connection in the 12v line. I have had the loose battery issue with all firmwares, but never has the message said anything about loss of power, only messages that an unapproved battery was in use or simple shutdowns, or white screen hangs.

JT screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 10:46 AM
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #5023
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Yup did that, the Battery seems so tight in there to begin with I'd be surprised if that was the issue anyway.
Same for me, I couldn't believe that it wasn't tight enough, but I put THREE ear plugs in there and haven't had a shutdown since, in 6 months. (Probably need to replace them yearly as they will take a set.)

However, I ride mostly highway, so my occaisional bit of washboard probably isn't a good torture test. Still, for $1.50, might as well try it before selling the unit.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #5024
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:

The problem is what if the refurb was returned by a hiker because it had the screen calibration problem. So Garmin fixes that. No guaranteeing you won't have the battery compartment issue when you run it on a bike.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #5025
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
No guaranteeing you won't have the battery compartment issue when you run it on a bike.
It's almost guaranteed that the Montana when used on a Motorcycle will eventually have the battery problem. Some will see it much sooner than others, but both my wife's and mine started giving the battery shutdowns after a couple of months, even on relatively smooth paved roads. But not since I put the earplugs into the battery cases.

But this is on a couple of DR650 and F650/800GS, not 690 KTMs.