ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #5071
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Hi Dave,

When you have City Navigator installed and ENABLED it has priority on the map display even if you have other maps ENABLED.

Cheers,
Howdy Dan,

Thanks for your reply, here's the problem, I can't switch from city nav to topo.

If the sd card with the topo maps is installed in the GPS, even if I disable the the topo maps the city nav maps will NOT display or even show up on the screen where you can enable or disable the maps.

Before the unit was repaired, on the map selection screen I could see and enable or disable both the city nav and the topo maps. Sorry I am doing such a poor job of describing this situation.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #5072
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Dan,

Thanks for your reply, here's the problem, I can't switch from city nav to topo.

If the sd card with the topo maps is installed in the GPS, even if I disable the the topo maps the city nav maps will NOT display or even show up on the screen where you can enable or disable the maps.

Before the unit was repaired, on the map selection screen I could see and enable or disable both the city nav and the topo maps. Sorry I am doing such a poor job of describing this situation.
Did Garmin give your a new Unlock code for CNNA on your new unit? If so and you don't see CNNA on the Map Info page then you don't have it installed properly. I would suggest deleting CNNA and using MapInstall to re install Itmtomyour SD Card along with your other map(s).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #5073
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Temp sensor

Hello All,
I bought a new wireless temp sensor for my 600 but cant find where to switch the ANT on. I found the heart rate and cadence but no temp. Can someone point me in the right direction. I search the manual but no luck there either. I also sent an email to garmin support and no answer yet.
Any and all help is always highly appreaciated.
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #5074
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtSqtr View Post
Hello All,
I bought a new wireless temp sensor for my 600 but cant find where to switch the ANT on. I found the heart rate and cadence but no temp. Can someone point me in the right direction. I search the manual but no luck there either. I also sent an email to garmin support and no answer yet.
Any and all help is always highly appreaciated.
Do you have v4.50 of the software installed? If so, you will find the tempe setting under the SETUP, ANT options.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #5075
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Did Garmin give your a new Unlock code for CNNA on your new unit? If so and you don't see CNNA on the Map Info page then you don't have it installed properly. I would suggest deleting CNNA and using MapInstall to re install Itmtomyour SD Card along with your other map(s).

Cheers,
Howdy Dan,

Being the computer idiot that I am, I called Garmin and let them walk me through the steps needed to get the maps to work on my GPS. I am using a Mac, not a pc, the guy who helped me with getting this all up and running again was a pc guy and had a hard time helping me as he was not that well versed in how a Mac works.

That being the case, I am not confident that I could delete the maps get the them reloaded and have them work properly. As it is now I can use city nav, I just can't have the sd card with the topo maps installed in the GPS when I want to use city nav.

There have been many changes on how the Montana works since the last time I used it and the software has been up dated, I just returned recently from a month long trip to Australia where I used dare I say it "paper maps", having been away from the GPS and not using it for that lenght of time I have forgotten most of what I had learned. I am tellin ya, not having much a functional memory and trying to learn and retain new things computer and GPS related is kinda phucked.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #5076
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
As it is now I can use city nav, I just can't have the sd card with the topo maps installed in the GPS when I want to use city nav.
When you have the uSD card installed, can you see the maps on the uSD card in [Setup | Map | Map Information]? Which maps show enabled, and which show disabled?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #5077
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Howdy Dan,

Being the computer idiot that I am, I called Garmin and let them walk me through the steps needed to get the maps to work on my GPS. I am using a Mac, not a pc, the guy who helped me with getting this all up and running again was a pc guy and had a hard time helping me as he was not that well versed in how a Mac works.

That being the case, I am not confident that I could delete the maps get the them reloaded and have them work properly. As it is now I can use city nav, I just can't have the sd card with the topo maps installed in the GPS when I want to use city nav.

There have been many changes on how the Montana works since the last time I used it and the software has been up dated, I just returned recently from a month long trip to Australia where I used dare I say it "paper maps", having been away from the GPS and not using it for that lenght of time I have forgotten most of what I had learned. I am tellin ya, not having much a functional memory and trying to learn and retain new things computer and GPS related is kinda phucked.
Dave,
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought your CNNA was NOT working. If things don't work correctly when the SD Card is installed then there is a problem with the maps installed there. I use a Mac most of the time. The Garmin MapInstall program will install your maps.

If you put your SD card into a card reader and plug that into your USB port then start MapInstall, it will show you what maps you can install.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #5078
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
The tempe appears to be sealed: i.e, the battery compartment has an o-ring and I don't see any other air holes. So, yes, when it's in the sun it heats up faster. It doesn't change temp rapidly but works well enough. Won't be able to see how temp is reported in BaseCamp until I get home.

Cheers,
Dan, did you figure out how the temp is reported in Basecamp? I have just hooked my 650 to the computer & can't find anything dealing with Temp. I was wondering if you have to have Track recording turned on &/or have a route enable for some info to be captured.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #5079
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
When you have the uSD card installed, can you see the maps on the uSD card in [Setup | Map | Map Information]? Which maps show enabled, and which show disabled?
Howdy atlas,

This is what displays when the sd card with topo maps is installed in the GPS.

I have absolutely NO IDEA of what any of those birds eye things are, they were all disabled BEFORE the GPS was repaired and returned so those setting are the same as in the past when I could see both the city nav and the topo maps on the information screen.

These photos are of the information screen with the topo loaded sd card REMOVED from the GPS.

I hope the photos show what I have been attempting to describe.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #5080
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Do you have v4.50 of the software installed? If so, you will find the tempe setting under the SETUP, ANT options.

Cheers,
Thank you ... no i have V4.20 i guess ill update it. hopefully ver 4.50 is as stable as 4.20

again thanks.
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #5081
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Howdy atlas,

This is what displays when the sd card with topo maps is installed in the GPS.

I have absolutely NO IDEA of what any of those birds eye things are, they were all disabled BEFORE the GPS was repaired and returned so those setting are the same as in the past when I could see both the city nav and the topo maps on the information screen.

These photos are of the information screen with the topo loaded sd card REMOVED from the GPS.

I hope the photos show what I have been attempting to describe.
Interesting.

I suspect somehow the CN NA NT and the US TOPO 100K may both be using the same MAP ID (or similar internal ID) creating a conflict, and can therefore only display one or the other.

The Garmin Montana Wiki doe have some information for sending maps to your GPSr for both PC and MAC.

I have not seen your issue before, and am very interested in why your Montana is behaving this way. I also would suggest re-sending the Topo maps to your Montana.

As for the BirdseEye Select files, they ship automatically installed to allow users to see how they appear in different parts of the world. You can safely delete the like named *.jnx files from the Montana\Garmin\BirdsEye\ directory, and the 'BirdsEye Demo.gpx' from Montana\Garmin\GPX\ directory.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #5082
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
Dan, did you figure out how the temp is reported in Basecamp? I have just hooked my 650 to the computer & can't find anything dealing with Temp. I was wondering if you have to have Track recording turned on &/or have a route enable for some info to be captured.
Nope. I'm still in Glacier Park. Lodge now has WiFi in the lobby but I only have my iPad with me. Too bad Garmin isn't going to make a real BaseCamp for iOS.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #5083
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
well I had my first good day with the Montana. I put it on my KLR650 using a rugged mount and powered by the bike and had ZERO problems with it....some interstate lots of back roads and dirt roads...no issues.

So my problem on the other bike is specific to that bike.....
Excellent!

Good to hear it's not the Montana or the rugged mount. Hopefully it will be something simple about the other bike that is causing the issues.

Jon...
Old 09-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #5084
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Too bad Garmin isn't going to make a real BaseCamp for iOS.

Cheers,
Yeah,

Too bad Apple is not making a Tablet with a complete OS........
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #5085
Berin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Battery/charge problem

I've got the Montana wired into my 690 using the rugged mount, and fitted with the Garmin original bsttery.

It charges and works fine, except that I keep getting an error saying the battery is not supported, please use OEM parts, and then when I switch the bike off (the mount is wired through the ignition) it says battery low, even when it isn't.

Any ideas?
Berin is offline   Reply With Quote