ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 254 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #5071
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berin View Post
I've got the Montana wired into my 690 using the rugged mount, and fitted with the Garmin original bsttery.

It charges and works fine, except that I keep getting an error saying the battery is not supported, please use OEM parts, and then when I switch the bike off (the mount is wired through the ignition) it says battery low, even when it isn't.

Any ideas?
That's the same old "loose battery" problem. Stuff one or more foam earplugs under the battery cover and that should fix it.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #5072
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Zumo 550 to Montana 600

Thinking about making the switch. The only thing that holds me back is lack of BT voice prompts. Have there been any rumors of adding this to future units?

I don't want to get everyones panties in a bunch, but I just want something works. It seems there are still some occasional software issues with these units? Its a good thing Garmin has so many free beta testers out there with their units.

Also, this might be a dumb question, but I couldn't find the answer. I assume this unit is glove friendly?

Sorry for mucking up a great thread with my mundane questions
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #5073
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Thinking about making the switch. The only thing that holds me back is lack of BT voice prompts. Have there been any rumors of adding this to future units?

Also, this might be a dumb question, but I couldn't find the answer. I assume this unit is glove friendly?

I don't think Garmin will ever add BT, but there are ways of making the audio available through BT dongles, etc. I can get the audio output from the wired plug into my Scala Q4 but the Scala assigns the lowest priority to wired audio so it isn't very reliable.

Re: Glove friendly. Yes. Winter gloves are a little harder to use just because you can't select the icons properly.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #5074
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post

I don't want to get everyones panties in a bunch, but I just want something works. It seems there are still some occasional software issues with these units? Its a good thing Garmin has so many free beta testers out there with their units.

I use a Sena SR10 to get the Montana Audio into my Bluetooth headset. The only issue I have is the SR10 closes the connection when its not receiving an audio signal. Then when it gets one it opens back up However there is about a 1 second lag so you tend to miss the distance to the next turn or only hear part of it. I wish the Montana would play a tone like my Nuvi before it speaks as this would solve the problem. The current fix is you can tell the SR10 to keep the channel open. the down side is you won't get any audio from anything else...like music via phone.

Over all I'm happy with the setup.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #5075
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I use a Sena SR10 to get the Montana Audio into my Bluetooth headset. The only issue I have is the SR10 closes the connection when its not receiving an audio signal. Then when it gets one it opens back up However there is about a 1 second lag so you tend to miss the distance to the next turn or only hear part of it. I wish the Montana would play a tone like my Nuvi before it speaks as this would solve the problem. The current fix is you can tell the SR10 to keep the channel open. the down side is you won't get any audio from anything else...like music via phone.

Over all I'm happy with the setup.
I am using the SM10 from Sena with my SMH10 headsets & the only problem I have is that the audio from the Montana isn't loud enough to be heard when riding at highway speeds & having music playing. But have learn't to mute my K1200lt music when I need Karyn to tell me were to go!
On my 1150GSA there is too much wind noise to hear anyway, so I just check ever now & then to see if I have a turn coming up.
I have logged a request to Sena to increase the muting or increase the volume on the AUX port.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #5076
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
For those that have the tempé wireless temp sensor, the temps are recorded along with your tracks.

I have my tempé attached to the short lanyard on my Montana (as I showed previously) and when I'm out hiking the Montana is in a soft case clipped to my pack shoulder strap with the tempé sitting outside the zipped case. I don't let it sit in the sun when I'm stopped for any length of time and if there is no tree cover I just unclip it and put it in my pack pocket. It seems to track reasonably well compared to my little REI thermometer which is clipped to the pack.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #5077
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

@Bighopper........Do you have the audio on the Montana turned up? I noticed the default is about 50%.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #5078
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy View Post
Yeah,

Too bad Apple is not making a Tablet with a complete OS........
[NON-MONTANA CONTENT]
Well, I've managed to get by with my iPad and iPhone for all things non-Garmin. I do use my MacBook Air when I'm on tour since I do need to have BaseCamp and tour GPS data available. Everything else I can do on my iPad or iPhone.

So far Garmin has totally blown the iOS effort. Their GPS software is marginal and at times quite laughable - like having a Trip Log (Track Log) and not being able to do anything with the track - other than see it on the map. You can't get the data out of Garmin's software. Very handy
[/NON-MONTANA CONTENT]

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #5079
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

I may be on to what is causing interference in my Montana's circuitry and subsequent crashing.

On both my KLR and my Versys I have LED auxiliary lighting. Similar but different wattage units.

On the Versys I been getting consistent crashes at higher RPM when connected to the bikes power. When on internal power only ( yet still in the Rugged mount), I get less crashes.

This led me to beleive there is some sort of Radio (RF) interference causing the crash.

On the KLR the Unit is stable..no crashes at all RPM ranges. However I did notice that using my Sena SR10 bluetooth dongle I was getting a lot of static that I realized was caused by the LED auxiliary lights...turn them off the noise is gone...

So this got me thinking....could the LED lights on the Versys be the cause of the crashes. Every test I have run so far, those lights were on...never occurred to shut them off. The LEDs are a little diffrent between the bikes so it may be the ones on the Versys are producing a different frequency the Montana doesn't like, Aslo using the SR10 on the Versys does not have the interference issue....it all could be coincidence but its worth pursuing.
I am rewiring a lot of things on the bike so I can't test my theory right away but I thought I would share my hypothesis.

I'm glad the problem seems to be with the bike rather than the Montana. I am confident I can track down the cause on the bike....I may swap rugged mounts to rule that out.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #5080
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,943
have not been keeping up with this massive thread..
so what's the news on the latest firmware update?

just installed 4.50 ... anything I need to know?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #5081
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
have not been keeping up with this massive thread..
so what's the news on the latest firmware update?

just installed 4.50 ... anything I need to know?
I just came back from a weeklong trip dirt/road using v4.50 with tracks and routing without any problems

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #5082
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
@Bighopper........Do you have the audio on the Montana turned up? I noticed the default is about 50%.
Yep, she is at full volume. I forgot to mention that I have the audio out from the Montana going through a BoosterRoo (Audio Booster) then to the SM10 otherwise I couldn't hear it with music playing. I still find with this set up that the Audio has to be a lot lower in order to hear the direction through the AUX input (Montana).
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #5083
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Hey Offcamber,

That's an interesting theory about the aux lights causing interference.

I'm really curious to find out what the problem turns out to be.

Thanks for keeping us posted,

Jon...
Old 09-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #5084
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Wading in at post #5103...

My old Nuvi allowed searching for POIs at the destination of the current route, while navigating. Not seeing this in the current Montana s/w... is it gone?
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #5085
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaweetz View Post
Wading in at post #5103...

My old Nuvi allowed searching for POIs at the destination of the current route, while navigating. Not seeing this in the current Montana s/w... is it gone?
I do not have my Montana here in front of me, but as I remember, you should be able to select [Where To], Select the Menu Button at the bottom of the screen, and choose [Search Near], then select your current destination from the menu to get POI's near that location.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote