ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #5131
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
But, in all fairness, the 478 does allow you to do a lot more setup on the unit then the Montana.
It's been a while since I had a GPSMAP x7x device, what "Setup" features would you consider important/useful over what the Montana provides?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #5132
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
yeah I tried that...pushed squeezed, wiggled, cursed.....doesn't catch....
Are you sure the Montana completely engaged the mount?? The rubber cover for the contacts isn't snapped in place properly it could be preventing it from completely engaging. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #5133
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,517
I have a rugged mount with the same problem. The security screw will not engage, no matter how much I work it, make sure the mount is closed, etc. It just won't engage.

I bought mine from GPSCity, and emailed them to let them know of the issue. They got Garmin to send me a new rugged mount free of charge.

+1 for GPSCity!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #5134
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Are you sure the Montana completely engaged the mount?? The rubber cover for the contacts isn't snapped in place properly it could be preventing it from completely engaging. GH

YUP its fully engaged.....

Fixed it...took the mount apart. Got rid of the useless spring that pops the security screw up. Gave it just enough extra clearance to engage.

Offcamber screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 02:32 PM
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #5135
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
It's been a while since I had a GPSMAP x7x device, what "Setup" features would you consider important/useful over what the Montana provides?

Cheers,
Hell, it's been 3 years since I got rid of my 478. I do know that map detail was better, you could scale further out and still keep the high details. The detour feature is quite handy. The Routing Page was much better. Custom avoids (although I imagine there is a round about way to do the same thing with the Montana)

But like I said, no way I'd trade the Montana for one.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #5136
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Picture

I tried to take a couple pictures with my Montana last week. Every time it locked up, acted like it was taking a picture. Then nothing happened except you could get out of the camera mode no matter what. Had to hold the power button till it shut off. Repowered ok, and tried again to take a picture. Same thing happened, sure glad I brought another camera along.

Will have to try and see if there is a setting that is off or what. It worked before just fine.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #5137
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arraflipper View Post
I tried to take a couple pictures with my Montana last week. Every time it locked up, acted like it was taking a picture. Then nothing happened except you could get out of the camera mode no matter what. Had to hold the power button till it shut off. Repowered ok, and tried again to take a picture. Same thing happened, sure glad I brought another camera along.

Will have to try and see if there is a setting that is off or what. It worked before just fine.
I've had this happen if the pictures are being stored to internal storage and it's running out of room. I now always save my pic's to the microSD Card and have not seen that problem again.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #5138
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I have a Tempe and the 24 hr max temp doesn't reset, not sure about the 24 hr min. Is there any way to force a reset without removing the battery from the Tempe?

81husky screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 09:15 PM
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #5139
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I've had this happen if the pictures are being stored to internal storage and it's running out of room. I now always save my pic's to the microSD Card and have not seen that problem again.

Cheers,
Thanks fro the idea, it only has two photos stored in it, so I am hoping there is a setting that is wrong. I tried it twice before leaving, and it worked great. That seems to be the way things go for me though.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #5140
Berin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That's the same old "loose battery" problem. Stuff one or more foam earplugs under the battery cover and that should fix it.

Thanks for that - that fixed it!

2 more questions -

1) Is there any way to fix the data fields so that they 1 set of data fields in the map screen whilst navigating and another set whilst just viewing the map whilst riding?

2) I've set a profile which has 2 pages of icons. For some reason, the first page shown is always the right-hand, or 2nd page of the 2 pages, and I have to arrow back to page 1 to see these icons. It's only on one profile - all the others show the 1st page first. Can I change this to show page 1 first?

thanks again!
Berin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #5141
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81husky View Post
I have a Tempe and the 24 hr max temp doesn't reset, not sure about the 24 hr min. Is there any way to force a reset without removing the battery from the Tempe?
You have to do a Master Reset to reset the Max/Min Temp's. No big deal. Just remember to set the unit Profile to Recreation before doing the MR. Then after reboot, just select your personal Profile and you're back in business.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #5142
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berin View Post
Thanks for that - that fixed it!

2 more questions -

1) Is there any way to fix the data fields so that they 1 set of data fields in the map screen whilst navigating and another set whilst just viewing the map whilst riding?

2) I've set a profile which has 2 pages of icons. For some reason, the first page shown is always the right-hand, or 2nd page of the 2 pages, and I have to arrow back to page 1 to see these icons. It's only on one profile - all the others show the 1st page first. Can I change this to show page 1 first?

thanks again!
1) Not that I know of, as of software version 4.50. The data fields that show on the dashboard of the map are the same whether you are navigating or not.

2) I believe that the "main" page of a profile is always the default shown when switching to that profile. You can create other pages by dragging the icons to the left or right edges to move them to a new page, but those won't be shown unless you scroll to them. Place your most commonly used shortcuts and applications on the main page so that you only have to scroll for items you use less often.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #5143
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

2) I believe that the "main" page of a profile is always the default shown when switching to that profile. You can create other pages by dragging the icons to the left or right edges to move them to a new page, but those won't be shown unless you scroll to them. Place your most commonly used shortcuts and applications on the main page so that you only have to scroll for items you use less often.
Not correct. Setup->Main Menu-> make visible the Main Menu page you want to be the "start page" -> Options-> Set As Start Page.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #5144
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,921
WTF, why did they screw up the data fields? I know with 4.20 you could have a different set of data fields between navigating and non navigating. Friggen Garmin!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #5145
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
WTF, why did they screw up the data fields? I know with 4.20 you could have a different set of data fields between navigating and non navigating.
I don't think they "screwed up" anything. The Small (or Large) Data Fields is a single Dashboard. You set the data fields to the data types you want and they will be shown wherever the Small (or Large) Data Fields Dashboard is displayed. However, you can have your Map Dashboard set to display one Dashboard when Navigating and another Dashboard when not Navigating.

If one desires to have different data fields on a Dashboard under certain conditions, then the method would be to use a Profile to change them.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS