ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #5161
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

I just installed v4.20 and you must have been using another method because v4.20 does not have support for multiple Small Data Field Dashboards in a single Profile. I set the Map Dashboard to Custom and put Small Data Fields in Nav and non-Nav. I then set a data field to a different data type when Navigating and then when not Navigating and that data field stayed to whatever was the last data type I put there when I switched between Nav and non-Nav. No two different Small Data Field Dashboards in the same Profile.

Are you certain you weren't playing with different Profiles?

P.S, By the way, I think that would be a nice feature request but not sure it is possible with the current Dashboard support code.

Cheers,
Hmmm, maybe I thought that was the way it was working before. Could be I wasn't paying much attention and didn't realize that the fields were changing for both dashboards, I must have thought it was working like my 478 did. Only had it on 4.20 for a couple days.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #5162
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
The temp data is "stored" in the Track Log. . .

And as I showed the other day you will find it in the properties window of the track.

I didn't see any other log file for ANT devices but then I only have the tempē. It does seem logical to use the Track Log for storage of ANT device data since it is easily correlated with position.

Cheers,
So then the 24hr Min and 24hr Max data fields must take their data from the current.gpx track log? Or currently active track? Just trying to determine how the Montana decides what the 24hr Min and 24hr Max temps are....
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #5163
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
So then the 24hr Min and 24hr Max data fields must take their data from the current.gpx track log? Or currently active track? Just trying to determine how the Montana decides what the 24hr Min and 24hr Max temps are....
Speculating of course but I would expect since a Master Reset has no effect on the 24hr Min/Max read out on the Montana that the "log" is kept in the tempē and only read, not stored, to the data field via the ANT data pulse. The Montana does not derive these readings.

P.S. I just received confirmation that the above statement is correct and the only way to [currently] reset Min/Max is by pulling the tempē battery.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 12:26 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #5164
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Speculating of course but I would expect since a Master Reset has no effect on the 24hr Min/Max read out on the Montana that the "log" is kept in the tempē and only read, not stored, to the data field via the ANT data pulse. The Montana does not derive these readings.
Cheers,
This was my original suspicion, however, the tempe has no internal clock that I am aware of, so I am unsure how it would store 24hr Min/Max data.

But, this would explain why other users had to remove the battery from the tempe to reset the Min/Max values.

I do not yet have a tempe to test with, thus this series of questions.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #5165
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
This was my original suspicion, however, the tempe has no internal clock that I am aware of, so I am unsure how it would store 24hr Min/Max data.

But, this would explain why other users had to remove the battery from the tempe to reset the Min/Max values.

I do not yet have a tempe to test with, thus this series of questions.
See above P.S. update.

Don't know why the tempē couldn't have a clock that get's set by the paired host device which would of course have a clock. A simple clock chip is quite small these days.
And actually with a little testing after a MR it appears as though the Max/Min is the "current" 24hr period being kept by the Montana. So, no clock is necessary on the tempē. The temperature range spec's on the tempē is -4℉ to 140℉ and I can attest to that range. My SubZero freezer took it to it's lower limit and I was reading the temp drop THRU THE DOOR!!!

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 01:22 PM
Old 09-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #5166
funrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Garmin Montana

So here's my problem. When I download maps from Mapinstaller (Topo Canada and City Navigator NT) I can't switch between the two. So depending which map I loaded last, thats the map I get. So if I go into recreational mode to go hiking for example I can't access my Topos. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but would appreciate any advise and direction. Thanks.
funrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #5167
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by funrider View Post
So here's my problem. When I download maps from Mapinstaller (Topo Canada and City Navigator NT) I can't switch between the two. So depending which map I loaded last, thats the map I get. So if I go into recreational mode to go hiking for example I can't access my Topos. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but would appreciate any advise and direction. Thanks.
Go to Setup -> Maps -> Map Information, within there you can enable or disable maps for each profile.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #5168
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Which version of MapInstaller?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #5169
funrider
Adventurer

Quote:
Which version of MapInstaller?
Not Sure, Just received this unit a couple weeks ago. Will take a look for a version and by the way the maps are enabled but they are not separated by that I mean The Topo and City Navigator are on the same line.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #5170
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 474
Quote:

I just installed v4.20 and you must have been using another method because v4.20 does not have support for multiple Small Data Field Dashboards in a single Profile. I set the Map Dashboard to Custom and put Small Data Fields in Nav and non-Nav. I then set a data field to a different data type when Navigating and then when not Navigating and that data field stayed to whatever was the last data type I put there when I switched between Nav and non-Nav. No two different Small Data Field Dashboards in the same Profile.

Are you certain you weren't playing with different Profiles?

P.S, By the way, I think that would be a nice feature request but not sure it is possible with the current Dashboard support code.

Cheers,

That's exactly how it works. I've been wrestling with this very thing too. I like the nuvi dashboard while navigating but I think the zoom in and out buttons are smaller than 'normal" and I don't like that they're on the right side of the screen. When riding the bike and trying to zoom in or out, I can never hit the buttons and then I get a pin for a waypoint. Drives me nuts. So I was trying to set up small dashboard fields to display the info the nuvi dashboard does and have the zoom buttons on the left side of the screen. No go for the reasons you stated above.
woodsatyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #5171
BruceWA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Any idea why this method rather than Webupdater?

BruceWA, did you do a master reset before you installed 4.60?

No I did not do a master reset. Haven't had much time to check out, with honey does and all!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #5172
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
That's exactly how it works. I've been wrestling with this very thing too. I like the nuvi dashboard while navigating but I think the zoom in and out buttons are smaller than 'normal" and I don't like that they're on the right side of the screen. When riding the bike and trying to zoom in or out, I can never hit the buttons and then I get a pin for a waypoint. Drives me nuts. So I was trying to set up small dashboard fields to display the info the nuvi dashboard does and have the zoom buttons on the left side of the screen. No go for the reasons you stated above.
My method to avoid the small zoom buttons on the nuvi Dashboard is to make a quick swipe on the map to get it into pan-mode which puts the zoom buttons on the left side and they are slightly larger. Once you've zoom in/out you just press the return button and the map will keep your zoom level as long as you have Auto Zoom=OFF.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #5173
funrider
Adventurer

Quote:
Go to Setup -> Maps -> Map Information, within there you can enable or disable maps for each profile.
Yup did that. But what I do notice when I enable Map, is that the Topo and City Nav.NA are on the same line. As though one map? ya I'm confused.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #5174
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Yup did that. But what I do notice when I enable Map, is that the Topo and City Nav.NA are on the same line. As though one map? ya I'm confused.
That's a stumper for me; all my maps loaded using MapUploader are on separate lines, and each is individually selectable.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #5175
funrider
Adventurer

Quote:
That's a stumper for me; all my maps loaded using MapUploader are on separate lines, and each is individually selectable.
Ya a little frustrating, for the mean time I've downloaded both Maps on separate Micro discs till I figure this one out. but a bit of a pain.