ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 254 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #5191
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,407
Does anyone know how to display an overview map of the current route?
Here is the scenario -
1) Found a point on the map and selected "go"
2) I have the first instruction displayed at the top of map screen
3) When I press, I get a list of the turns etc however I do not see a place for a route overview
I cannot seem to find a way to do this.
TIA
Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #5192
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
Does anyone know how to display an overview map of the current route?
Here is the scenario -
1) Found a point on the map and selected "go"
2) I have the first instruction displayed at the top of map screen
3) When I press, I get a list of the turns etc however I do not see a place for a route overview
I cannot seem to find a way to do this.
TIA
Do you mean a map at a zoom level which will show the entire route? Just zoom out and pan as needed. Not all that useful because too much detail is unseen at that low zoom, but doing some panning at a higher zoom should allow you to verifiy that the auroroute is what you wanted.

If you create or upload a route and select it, this is what you see just before pressing "GO". If you select a point and press "GO", you will have to manually zoom out as it goes directly to the present position at the current zoom level without showing the entire route. (V 4.20, not sure about the most recent firmware behavior)
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #5193
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,407
On the Zumo series (and I believe Nuvi series), once routing, one can select the text at the top of the screen for turn by turn text routing and then there is also an option to see the entire route on the map. I searched more and seems this feature has not been introduced to the Montana.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #5194
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
On the Zumo series (and I believe Nuvi series), once routing, one can select the text at the top of the screen for turn by turn text routing and then there is also an option to see the entire route on the map. I searched more and seems this feature has not been introduced to the Montana.
The Montana does not have that feature as Rocky TFS implied. You will not find several Routing features you may be use to on the zumo. The Montana does what I would consider "basic" Routing compared to the zumo and nuvi brands. Not to say that that option isn't a handy feature but you can easily do as Rocky suggested to see the entire route.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #5195
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funrider View Post
My apologies, but that went way over my head? Really I'm seriously a noobie here. Not sure I know how to make a screen capture but will give it a try. I'm using a Mac book Pro for computer, but will check out the files/folder and see whats on the Montana. PM if you like.
No apology necessary. If you want, just use Finder and look at the \Garmin folder on the Montana and the µSD Card. Make a note of the xxx.IMG files in those folders and post them so we can try and determine what's going on with your Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #5196
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,382
Quote:
You can touch the top of the screen in the Montana's Nuvi Dashboard to see the route steps. And clicking the bottom right data field in that same screen for the trip computer.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #5197
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,525
My buddy and I were just on a long (multi-week) ride where I had serious GPS problems (Garmin 478) and wasn't able to capture all of my tracks. He has a fairly new Montana and had learned how to create routes and tracks and get them on his unit, but wasn't familiar with retrieving the tracks after the fact. On the trip we could kind of see it was doing some sort of auto-archiving of daily tracks.

Question: How does he get to those tracks on his computer (Windows, not Mac)? Trip was 32 days. Is there a max number of days saved before stopping or over-writing tracks?
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #5198
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
My buddy and I were just on a long (multi-week) ride where I had serious GPS problems (Garmin 478) and wasn't able to capture all of my tracks. He has a fairly new Montana and had learned how to create routes and tracks and get them on his unit, but wasn't familiar with retrieving the tracks after the fact. On the trip we could kind of see it was doing some sort of auto-archiving of daily tracks.

Question: How does he get to those tracks on his computer (Windows, not Mac)? Trip was 32 days. Is there a max number of days saved before stopping or over-writing tracks?
Starte up BaseCamp, attach the Montana to the USB port once BaseCamp can see the Montana, select the Montana in the "Devices" window and there are your Track Log tracks: listed by Time-Stamp. You can see just the Tracks if you want to select the Track Filter icon at the bottom of the data window.

Oops, didn't answer your other questions. The Track Log will record your path by various means much like your 478. The Log [Setup->Tracks->Auto Archive->When Full, Daily, Weekly] can be set to Archive on the three options listed. The Archived Logs are limited by storage space. You could travel around the world before you run out most likely.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 04:17 PM
Old 09-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #5199
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I've been playing around with Adventures a bit and noticed an interesting behavior on the Montana. Remember when we had the condition of duplicate Waypoints (sending Waypoints and Routes that used those Waypoints to the Montana). Well if you have a series of Routes that use the same Waypoint, you will get duplicate waypoints in the Waypoint Manager. I hope they fix this.

On the other hand, if you package that same data (multiple routes that use the same waypoint) into an Adventure, you don't get duplicate Waypoints in the Waypoint Manager. Even though the Adventure doesn't show Routes in the Adventure app they still show in the Route Planner.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #5200
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You can touch the top of the screen in the Montana's Nuvi Dashboard to see the route steps. And clicking the bottom right data field in that same screen for the trip computer.
HUH?? Is this something new? In 4.20, clicking the 3 bars in the lower right corner only gives you Stop Nav, Setup Map, Restore Defaults.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #5201
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
HUH?? Is this something new? In 4.20, clicking the 3 bars in the lower right corner only gives you Stop Nav, Setup Map, Restore Defaults.
It's been like that as long as I can remember. Not talking about the menu button here, which is what you call the 'three bars'.

When you're navigating, using the Nuvi Dashboard, touch the top of the screen and see for yourself.

Just got out my Montana to remind myself how the Nuvi Dashboard works and there's a feature there I hadn't noticed before: at the top right of the screen, while navigating, is the name of the next road, and the left is the distance and an arrow telling you which way the turn is.

Each of those elements, the left and right side, are clickable. The right side is a text list of distances and road names; the left is a countdown, time and distance, to the next step, with a large arrow indicating the direction of the turn. These screens are only on for about 5 seconds, then the gps goes back to the Nuvi dashboard.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 08:04 PM
Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #5202
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It's been like that as long as I can remember. Not talking about the menu button here, which is what you call the 'three bars'.

When you're navigating, using the Nuvi Dashboard, touch the top of the screen and see for yourself.

Just got out my Montana to remind myself how the Nuvi Dashboard works and there's a feature there I hadn't noticed before: at the top right of the screen, while navigating, is the name of the next road, and the left is the distance and an arrow telling you which way the turn is.

Each of those elements, the left and right side, are clickable. The right side is a text list of distances and road names; the left is a countdown, time and distance, to the next step, with a large arrow indicating the direction of the turn. These screens are only on for about 5 seconds, then the gps goes back to the Nuvi dashboard.
Pretty sure all of those nuvi Dashboard elements have been there since the beginning.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #5203
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Pretty sure all of those nuvi Dashboard elements have been there since the beginning.

Cheers,
I think you're right.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #5204
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Cheers,
I think we did gain "auto turn" somewhere along the line (I think that's what it's called). that is the arrows that show which, and how many lanes go the way you are going.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #5205
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 763
dan, thanks for confirming the [temp] element extension in tracks recorded with a connected tempe sensor.

Guess I wasn't imaging the fact that I read somewhere months back that the track [temp] feature was going to be added in a future release.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote