ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 66 votes, 4.59 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #5191
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
v4.60

Thanks again to the Montana Team for the latest update. All of my outstanding issues with Adventures have been addressed. I just transferred six Adventures to the Montana and everything was perfect. This is definitely the future for "sharing".

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #5192
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funrider View Post
Yup did that. But what I do notice when I enable Map, is that the Topo and City Nav.NA are on the same line. As though one map? ya I'm confused.
If you connect your Montana to your computer (PC or Mac?) look at the /Garmin or µSD Card/Garmin folder and tell us what you see for IMG map files.

If there is only one file I would recommend that you delete it and reinstall your maps using the latest Garmin MapInstall application.

Oops, you've already made changes. Now that you have your maps loaded on different µSD Cards, do you have any issues with seeing the map on the Montana. Or, Enabling/Disabling it?

If not, copy one of the maps to the other µSD Card just using your file explorer or Finder and see how that works.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #5193
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtSqtr View Post
thanks.....
tried that when i got home tonight. no luck. I set my zoom level at 0.2 miles and only get about 80% of street names. When i zoom in it will change intermittently. 1 time the name of the road will show up another time it wont. I noticed that when i use my finger to move the screen around ill loose names or they will move around, sometimes upside down where as i cant read them. Im wondering if cn2012 would make a difference. And thanks for all the help I appreciate it...

Ill call garmin support tomarrow cuz im thinkin its closed already.
ok updated to v4.60 and installed cn2013 still same result. only thing that changed was the POI came up but still missing 75% street names. is this normal?
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #5194
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtSqtr View Post
ok updated to v4.60 and installed cn2013 still same result. only thing that changed was the POI came up but still missing 75% street names. is this normal?
When you say 75% of the street names - could you give us a few screenshots of these map displays? In the mean time, I would call Garmin Prod Support. Your unit has "issues". Especially if street names are being rendered upside-down.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #5195
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by funrider View Post
Yup did that. But what I do notice when I enable Map, is that the Topo and City Nav.NA are on the same line. As though one map? ya I'm confused.
I suspect you did not Deselect the map segments from one map before selecting new map segments for the next map, and thus they were sent together as a single map.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #5196
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Thanks again to the Montana Team for the latest update. All of my outstanding issues with Adventures have been addressed. I just transferred six Adventures to the Montana and everything was perfect. This is definitely the future for "sharing".

Cheers,
Interesting.

Garmin did not report any Adventures improvements with firmware 4.60....
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #5197
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Is there some trick to getting the security screw to work on the Rugged mount?? I turn the thing forever and it never seems to grab....I have this issue on both my Rugged mounts...

and yes I k now righty tighty
I've seen this come up a few times. It is clear that there is a tolerance or a manufacturing run problem with the mounts. I mistakenly ordered two, and one of them had this problem; the screw was not even hinting at engaging. The second mount worked flawlessly. I RMA'd the first one.

For everybody who is responding 'maybe it's just not seated' it is probably seated just fine. There is a bad run of mounts out there, I think it is safe to declare at this point.
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #5198
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I suspect you did not Deselect the map segments from one map before selecting new map segments for the next map, and thus they were sent together as a single map.
My Mac version of Garmin MapInstall v4.0.1 doesn't seem to work that way. It knows that the Montana can support multiple map files and even if you select map segments across multiple products it will write separate map files for each product's segments that were selected - even if a map product only had one segment selected. MapInstall also will name the map products to their default Garmin product name.

For older GPS's that don't support multiple map product files, MapInstall will compile the map products into a single file but with separate product headers and the GPS shows them as separate map products.

I can't test the PC version of MapInstall right now maybe someone else can.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #5199
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaweetz View Post
I've seen this come up a few times. It is clear that there is a tolerance or a manufacturing run problem with the mounts. I mistakenly ordered two, and one of them had this problem; the screw was not even hinting at engaging. The second mount worked flawlessly. I RMA'd the first one.

For everybody who is responding 'maybe it's just not seated' it is probably seated just fine. There is a bad run of mounts out there, I think it is safe to declare at this point.
No question the tolerance is close. The one that was really giving me trouble was fixed (barley) by removing the small spring under the security screw. This allowed the screw to drop about half a MM lower and engage the threads.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #5200
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Latest up date to "AS THE MONTANA CRASHES"

Hooked the rugged mount back up to the battery and installed a choke on the line.

this should remove any noise in the line either generated by the bikes power or radiated.

Here is the choke. Purchased from Radio Shack for about $5.50. I wrapped the wire around it to hold it in place.

Rode on the interstate and had no issues so far...time will tell.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #5201
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting.

Garmin did not report any Adventures improvements with firmware 4.60....
All I can say is that what didn't work, now works. Garmin does have a history of not verbalizing all of the fixes in a release.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #5202
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,069
Quote:
Garmin does have a history of not verbalizing all of the fixes in a release.
That would be a form of acknowledgment that there was a fault in the first place.

4.60 loaded properly for me. Didn't do anything special, just downloaded through WebUpdater and installed it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #5203
funrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Okay so now I used a fresh micro sd. This time the Topo Can. and CN. NA loaded separately. But still when I go into Recreational Mode no Topo. All is working well in Motorcyle mode. Also noted I have two copies of City Nav. and Topo Can. Yup, still confused
funrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #5204
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Can you make a screen capture on your computer of the File Explorer window showing the Montana\Garmin folder and the µSDCard\Garmin folder? That way we can see what files are on your Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #5205
funrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Can you make a screen capture on your computer of the File Explorer window showing the Montana\Garmin folder and the µSDCard\Garmin folder? That way we can see what files are on your Montana.

Cheers,
My apologies, but that went way over my head? Really I'm seriously a noobie here. Not sure I know how to make a screen capture but will give it a try. I'm using a Mac book Pro for computer, but will check out the files/folder and see whats on the Montana. PM if you like.
funrider is offline   Reply With Quote