ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #5341
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsjo View Post
Emmbeedee,I think I found your request on Facebook and added some, thanks.
Good! The more, the merrier!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #5342
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Good! The more, the merrier!
I'm not much of a facebook'r, but I've found that when you post on Company facebook pages, ie: a public forum, you get things DONE!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #5343
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I'm not much of a facebook'r, but I've found that when you post on Company facebook pages, ie: a public forum, you get things DONE!
The only result I've seen so far from that is a couple of virus laden email messages from someone masquerading as "Cardo Scala Rider". I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice if we could set our own audio source priority. It must be some engineer who's set that up so I don't see why they can't give users the choice.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #5344
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsjo View Post
Emmbeedee,I think I found your request on Facebook and added some, thanks.
You did get the right thread there. Just checked.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #5345
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty69 View Post
I registered the new Montana and under the maps section it shows I have Topo 100,000 but does not show city navigator. Does anyone know where to go from here to "unlock" city navigator on my new device?
When you purchased CNNA did you register it at my.garmin.com and link it to your previous Montana?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #5346
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Yes, I did have them previously installed on another Montana. I've been to my.garmin.com and cant seem to find any answers there.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #5347
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Yes, I did have them previously installed on another Montana. I've been to my.garmin.com and cant seem to find any answers there.
If you don't see your CNNA maps listed under My Maps, then Garmin has removed the link to your old Montana. You just need to register your CNNA maps to the new Montana - just like you did the first one.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #5348
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
'Installed' is not the same as 'Registered'. Did you register the map in your name on My Garmin?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #5349
Elsjo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You did get the right thread there. Just checked.
Also copy and paste it into a direct email, always unsure how facebook works, hopefully it will help, last firmware update for the scala was some time ago...
Elsjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #5350
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 329
Map Priority setting?

I just installed the GPSFileDepot Northeast Topo to my Montana and the detail is quite good. However, it's not routable. The CNNA is routable but when set active it appears it has a higher visibility priority, and the Topo becomes not visible even though still active. Anyone know if there is a way to set the Topo to a higher priority than the CNNA, so I can see the Topo but use the CNNA and it's routing capability?

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #5351
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 329
Example

For example, the routing capability of Garmin's Canada Topo was very helpful while recently traversing the Gaspe, even though many of those old roads had become overgrown/disappeared due to nonuse. Newer roads were often nearby, and in one case we eventually discovered a little used older road that the CA Topo kept trying to route us on, that connected us to where we wanted to go, and the reward at the end of the Gaspe ride. Here's a few pics that show the gem through the hidden door:

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #5352
Fred26
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Help! Leaving tomorrow and the Montana just died!

New to this thread. Looking for help with my Montana 650. Just purchased last Thursday for my trip tomorrow. Loaded maps, POI, some basic stuff to make it start working really. This morning, I turned it on after being charging all night and it started searching for satellites, since we were indoors it asked me if I wanted it to continue or stop, I pressed stop searching, and it turned off. When I tried to turn it back on the word 'Garmin' comes on, nothing else loads up, and after a few seconds, the screen goes white and shuts off. That's it! Keeps doing this routine and shuts off, never actually turns on. Hard reset doesn't work. Plug into the computer and it does the same. never shows that it is connected and just shuts off...any clues what to do? Will contact GArmin in the morning but my plans were to leave tomorrow....This sucks!
Fred26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #5353
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred26 View Post
New to this thread. Looking for help with my Montana 650. Just purchased last Thursday for my trip tomorrow. Loaded maps, POI, some basic stuff to make it start working really. This morning, I turned it on after being charging all night and it started searching for satellites, since we were indoors it asked me if I wanted it to continue or stop, I pressed stop searching, and it turned off. When I tried to turn it back on the word 'Garmin' comes on, nothing else loads up, and after a few seconds, the screen goes white and shuts off. That's it! Keeps doing this routine and shuts off, never actually turns on. Hard reset doesn't work. Plug into the computer and it does the same. never shows that it is connected and just shuts off...any clues what to do? Will contact GArmin in the morning but my plans were to leave tomorrow....This sucks!
I'd take any uSD card out, and try another hard reset this way:

To perform the master reset:

Power the device off
Press and hold your finger on the upper left side of the display
Power the device on while still maintaining pressure on the display
Release on the display when the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Touch Yes
The Montana is now reset. You will want to leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #5354
Fred26
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I tried this too. viewed it on a youtube video. Didn't work. Seems that it does not even start up. Only the word 'Garmin' comes up. No other fine print. the word Garmin stays on for a few seconds. Screen flashes and unit shuts off. Hard reset doesn't even get a chance. Any other ideas? The store I bought it from told me that I would have to go through GArmin if I had any problems as they don't refund or exchange. I need a GPS for tomorrow...sucks big time..
Fred26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 AM   #5355
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv View Post
Anyone know if there is a way to set the Topo to a higher priority than the CNNA, so I can see the Topo but use the CNNA and it's routing capability?
There's no way that I know of to set the map priority. CNNA always gets top priority, as you've found. But Garmin Topo Canada V4 is routable so why not just get that? I've seen it as low as $80 but it seems to be back up to $100 now at GPSCity and GPSCentral