ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 248 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #5341
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred26 View Post
I tried this too. viewed it on a youtube video. Didn't work. Seems that it does not even start up. Only the word 'Garmin' comes up. No other fine print. the word Garmin stays on for a few seconds. Screen flashes and unit shuts off. Hard reset doesn't even get a chance. Any other ideas? The store I bought it from told me that I would have to go through GArmin if I had any problems as they don't refund or exchange. I need a GPS for tomorrow...sucks big time..
Have you tried this?

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Recovery
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #5342
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There's no way that I know of to set the map priority. CNNA always gets top priority, as you've found. But Garmin Topo Canada V4 is routable so why not just get that? I've seen it as low as $80 but it seems to be back up to $100 now at GPSCity and GPSCentral
You've confirmed what I thought, there's no way to set the map priority. Yes, I have the Topo Canada. The issue is regarding the GPSFileDepot Northeast Topo that I downloaded and installed. I suppose I could purchase the Garmin US Topo 1:24k that is supposed to be routable. Thanks much, Emmbeedee.

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #5343
Fred26
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Gave it about 1 hour of my time. Seems to be getting somewhere but still would do the same thing and I just gave up. Returned the unit, they agreed to give me a new one since I was leaving today. Loaded up the new one and I'm shortly on my way to the Blue Ridge trail/Parkway. Thanks for all your help. This is awesome to get some real support so fast. Hope the new unit will be trouble free, I just love the Montana over the Zumo as long as it works :)
Happy riding!
Fred
Fred26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #5344
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,319
I've noticed an interesting condition with v4.60 and would like someone else to check this if you wouldn't mind. I use Shortcut's to set my Display Orientation Lock so that the display doesn't jump around when the going gets a bit bumpy.

With v4.60, I've noticed that the Display Orientation "Lock" setting is kept in the Profile so that when you power down/up the setting sticks. That's great but it seems to be causing another issue. When I try to switch display orientation with the opposite shortcut, it will not switch. If I do it manually via Setup it works fine. Also, if I change Profiles and then switch back to my custom profile, it will work again until I power down/up.

Could someone please confirm this behavior?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 11:40 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #5345
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I've noticed an interesting condition with v4.60 and would like someone else to check this if you wouldn't mind. I use Shortcut's to set my Display Orientation Lock so that the display doesn't jump around when the going gets a bit bumpy.

With v4.60, I've noticed that the Display Orientation "Lock" setting is kept in the Profile so that when you power down/up the setting sticks. That's great but it seems to be causing another issue. When I try to switch display orientation with the opposite shortcut, it will not switch. If I do it manually via Setup it works fine. Also, if I change Profiles and then switch back to my custom profile, it will work again until I power down/up.

Could someone please confirm this behavior?

Cheers,
Duplicated and Confirmed with temporary solution:
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #5346
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Best way to remove a single map?

Okay, Montana is at home, I'm stuck not at home.

I loaded a specific map (Black Hills USFS trails) for a trip, along with my other maps.

Now I'm done with the trip and want to remove this one map. Can I do that from the Montana, or do I need to go to the Map Installer program and perform a new install on just the maps I want to keep on the Montana?

Thanks for helping with what might be a simple and obvious question.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #5347
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

I loaded a specific map (Black Hills USFS trails) for a trip, along with my other maps.

Now I'm done with the trip and want to remove this one map. Can I do that from the Montana, or do I need to go to the Map Installer program and perform a new install on just the maps I want to keep on the Montana?

You cannot delete the map directly from the Montana settings BUT you can simply attach the Montana via USB and open the Montana storage location where you installed the map, select the map file and delete it. You do not need MapInstall to do this.

P.S, The Black Hills Forest Manager is the only one I've found who is forward looking enough to produce the MVUM in a Garmin format. Sure hope more Forest Managers take a look at what the Black Hills team did.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #5348
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 558
Quote:

"Okay, Montana is at home, I'm stuck not at home."

What you can do on the Montana is just "disable" the map and it will not be shown on the Montana in that user profile.

Setup - Map -Select Map .....then choose the map you want to disable or enable.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #5349
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You cannot delete the map directly from the Montana settings BUT you can simply attach the Montana via USB and open the Montana storage location where you installed the map, select the map file and delete it. You do not need MapInstall to do this.
Ah, thanks! I can already see it in my mind's eye and will do exactly that.

The reason I want it off the Montana is that it is enabled by default in every profile. It seems easier to remove it for now, than to have to modify every profile (and I have plenty.)
Old 10-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #5350
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Ah, thanks! I can already see it in my mind's eye and will do exactly that.

The reason I want it off the Montana is that it is enabled by default in every profile. It seems easier to remove it for now, than to have to modify every profile (and I have plenty.)
This has LONG been one of my biggest gripes with Garmin. Every Garmin GPSr I have owned (more than a dozen) will automatically enable any new maps loaded to the unit. If you have several maps you update often and several profiles, this can be a very time consuming process to go into each profile and enable/disable every time, on each of your GPSr units.

I have asked many many times that they do not automatically enable every new map loaded, but they have not responded.

atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #5351
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,345
Got a Tempe Sensor today. There seems to be a bit of a run on them right now - GPSCity was out of them and not expecting any until Oct 15, but I found one at GPSCentral.ca.

Looks like it works with multiple gps units at once, which is nice. I have it connected to both my Montana and 62S.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #5352
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
4.6 issue.

I have a handful of tracks loaded from a 6 day trip last month. I have a track for each day's ride and just "show on map" at the beginning of the day's ride. At the end of the day I would hide that day's track and "show" the next day.

I've always had an issue with the "show on map" button functioning unless I wait a while. I'm guessing it's doing some background calculations based on the number of points. (they were long tracks). However, ever since 4.6 the first two day's tracks always show on the map after I power up the unit. I can hide them but as soon as the unit is power cycled they show up again.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this. It's not a big deal as I can just delete them, but thought it was worth mentioning.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #5353
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
There don't seem to be any Tempe sensors to be found here in New Zealand, but that's no surprise - we'll probably get them much later. Buying online from the US doesn't appear to be an option either, since shipping quotes are about $45...
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #5354
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
4.6 issue.

I have a handful of tracks loaded from a 6 day trip last month. I have a track for each day's ride and just "show on map" at the beginning of the day's ride. At the end of the day I would hide that day's track and "show" the next day.

I've always had an issue with the "show on map" button functioning unless I wait a while. I'm guessing it's doing some background calculations based on the number of points. (they were long tracks). However, ever since 4.6 the first two day's tracks always show on the map after I power up the unit. I can hide them but as soon as the unit is power cycled they show up again.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this. It's not a big deal as I can just delete them, but thought it was worth mentioning.
The delay you are experiencing is because it takes a bit to load very high point counts into active memory space.

The Tracks showing after you "Hide on Map" and then Power cycle may be linked to the same Profile issue that I posted about earlier today. Some things seem to be "stuck" in the Profile when they shouldn't be and that is keeping some other functions from working. You should report this condition none the less to the Montana Team.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #5355
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,998
Is there anyway to "reverse" a route I made in Basecamp and pushed to the Montana? I want to "reverse" it out in the field on the Montana. I am pretty sure I can do i in basecamp.

Example, I have three 60 mile routes on my GPS (that connect), running north to south.
This weekend I rode into the area of the routes from the south end. I know if ride into the middle of a route area, and press "GO" it will start to route you to the end (which turned out to be 1/2 mile away.)
But If I could just reverse the routes I would have been set