ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 253 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #5356
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Is there anyway to "reverse" a route I made in Basecamp and pushed to the Montana? I want to "reverse" it out in the field on the Montana. I am pretty sure I can do i in basecamp.

Example, I have three 60 mile routes on my GPS (that connect), running north to south.
This weekend I rode into the area of the routes from the south end. I know if ride into the middle of a route area, and press "GO" it will start to route you to the end (which turned out to be 1/2 mile away.)
But If I could just reverse the routes I would have been set
Easy in BC!

Go to track or route properties (or double click the desired track/route) then "Invert" at the bottom of the properties tab.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #5357
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Is there anyway to "reverse" a route I made in Basecamp and pushed to the Montana? I want to "reverse" it out in the field on the Montana. I am pretty sure I can do i in basecamp.

Example, I have three 60 mile routes on my GPS (that connect), running north to south.
This weekend I rode into the area of the routes from the south end. I know if ride into the middle of a route area, and press "GO" it will start to route you to the end (which turned out to be 1/2 mile away.)
But If I could just reverse the routes I would have been set
Only Direct Routes sent to the Montana can be Edited on the Montana. Reversing a Route is an "edit" of the Route. This is a Feature that you might want to request from the Montana Team.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #5358
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,014
Feature request send.

Plus I requested a user selectable tone and pause so the montana voice will trigger the bluetooth device before speaking.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #5359
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Only Direct Routes sent to the Montana can be Edited on the Montana. Reversing a Route is an "edit" of the Route.
Another reason to always switch a route to direct before sending to the Montana

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #5360
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Another reason to always switch a route to direct before sending to the Montana
Yep and I agree this is a good workaround - as long as you verify your Route calculates the way you want it to ON the Montana. The only assured way is to create a Track in BC of your calculated Route and then send both the Direct Route and the Track (of the calculated route) to the Montana. I would never trust that the Montana (or any current GPS) is going to do just as BaseCamp did when it comes to Route calculation - I don't care how many Via Points are allowed.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #5361
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Yep and I agree this is a good workaround - as long as you verify your Route calculates the way you want it to ON the Montana. The only assured way is to create a Track in BC of your calculated Route and then send both the Direct Route and the Track (of the calculated route) to the Montana. I would never trust that the Montana (or any current GPS) is going to do just as BaseCamp did when it comes to Route calculation - I don't care how many Via Points are allowed.

Cheers,
True, I too check that the Montana recalculates correctly For that matter, I typically recheck all critical routes, tracks & waypoints after transferring them to the Montana or any GPS

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #5362
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Reported Milage on Montana

Just got back from 7 days down into Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Washington..great trip, good weather & great roads.
Anyway I was just checking the Odometer, Trip mileages compared to the bike odometer & Trip reported (sorry had to take the LT this trip).

Bike Odometer - 3064
Bike Trip - 3066.3
Montana Odometer - 3049 (this was the subtraction of finish & start readings)
Montana Trip - 3055.3

Now I would have thought that the Montana mileages would be the same! I was going to include the Trac mileage but remembered I started it from my friends place so it wouldn't be the same as i returned home a different route to the start of the Trac recording.

As to the Montana, only had one lock up & that was when I was playing with the Elevation view (had to remove batter) to clear. but as far as routing I had loaded routes from BC to the Montana & set the Montana to No Recalc if off route.
But reading a few previous posts I think I'll try the trac & route loads next time...but the rain (just started) & I think snow are soon to arrive up here in the North .

[EDIT] Just did another test last-night in the car (it was raining & cold :-() I zeroed the trip data & started a new trac & on my return home I had the following readings
Trip Log; 46.8klm
Trac: 41.9
That's 4.9klm difference or roughly 10%, that's worse than my GSA mileage odometer.
I have searched Garmin but can't find anything regarding this issue & also can't log in to my account (forgot the password & have changed ISP) so I guess I'll have to call them when I get a chance.

Does anyone else get similar readings?

bighopper screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 01:08 PM Reason: Another Test
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #5363
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Different Scree Size?

Here is the thing I would like to bring up. First, I bought a montana about a month ago. I mounted it on my bike using ram mount. While riding dirt roads it kept shutting off or showing just white screen. While on the phone with Garmin about the problem, they told me they would send me a new, thicker battery to solve the problem. For my troubles they sent me some screen protectors too. I installed the new battery which did not work. I put the screen saver material on the screen and it covered all but 3/16 of an inch on a short side.

After trying to make the battery work I finally called Garmin again and they had me send my Montana in and they sent me a new/not refurbished Montana. I have not tried it out on the bike yet. However, I did put on one of the screen savers from the same box as the first unit and the screen saver fit!

My question: Am I right to assume that the two units had two different scree sizes? Where they made at different factories? Why did the screen saver fit on one unit and not on another? Hmmmm.....?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #5364
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty69 View Post
My question: Am I right to assume that the two units had two different scree sizes? Where they made at different factories? Why did the screen saver fit on one unit and not on another? Hmmmm.....?
It's possible that you slid the screen protector under the edge of the screen border when you put the first protector on, meaning it ended up a little short at the far side. To see what I mean, take a piece of paper and slide it under the edge of the plastic case, between it and the screen itself.

I think that's a more likely explanation than there being two screen sizes.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #5365
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,135
New Montana. New problem

I've had my montana for about a week. It started up fine. I had no problem putting maps on it. I've used it a few times transferring routes from my macbook air. Today, I plug it in, it turns on like normal, then shuts down. Tried again. Same thing. And, again. Try a different cable. Same thing. If I unplug it, it starts and runs normal. Plugged in, it shuts down.

If I let it start up, then plug in the cable it shuts down automatically. It doesn't do it when taking power from the bike, or the wall.

Help!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #5366
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Custom wallpapers

Does anyone have some custom Montana wallpapers they'd like to share? I have seen (and have) the ADV and Dirt wallpapers that were earlier on this thread.

I have a collection of several abstract wallpapers that I'll gladly pass on to anyone who wants them. They're not sophisticated or anything, but provide more options.

As we cannot attach files to posts, and I'm loath to put up two dozen images that not everyone wants to see, just PM me with an email address and I'll be happy to pass what I have along to you.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #5367
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
New Montana. New problem

I've had my montana for about a week. It started up fine. I had no problem putting maps on it. I've used it a few times transferring routes from my macbook air. Today, I plug it in, it turns on like normal, then shuts down. Tried again. Same thing. And, again. Try a different cable. Same thing. If I unplug it, it starts and runs normal. Plugged in, it shuts down.

If I let it start up, then plug in the cable it shuts down automatically. It doesn't do it when taking power from the bike, or the wall.

Help!
Alright, did a master Reset and it worked. Hopefully, this won;t become a common occurence. If there is anything else I should've tried first, please let me know. Looks like I need to reset the profiles. Routes/waypoints are still there..
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #5368
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Does anyone have some custom Montana wallpapers they'd like to share? I have seen (and have) the ADV and Dirt wallpapers that were earlier on this thread.

I have a collection of several abstract wallpapers that I'll gladly pass on to anyone who wants them. They're not sophisticated or anything, but provide more options.

As we cannot attach files to posts, and I'm loath to put up two dozen images that not everyone wants to see, just PM me with an email address and I'll be happy to pass what I have along to you.
There are a few wallpapers available here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #5369
levain
STILL Jim Williams

One other problem I had this morning.

I made a track in BC. Converted to a route and sent it to Montana. Worked fine. Opened it up, and started following the route. about 1/4 way through I think I rode into the Bermuda Triangle
On one particular point of the route, the Montana map screen locked up. It didn't know where I was. It didn't count down. Time remained the same etc. etc. etc. I could go to different pages on the montana, and it behaved fine, but the map page was frozen. I pulled over. Turned it off/on, set it to route again and it would work fine until I hit the bermuda triangle. I did that 3 times, and finally out of frustration made a route on the unit itself, which I follwed for around 2 hrs. of uninterrupted GPS bliss

Sooo, is that a Basecamp routing issue, or is it a Montana issue? Oh, and how long do I have before I decide its too buggy and send it back to gpscity
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #5370
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I did that 3 times, and finally out of frustration made a route on the unit itself, which I follwed for around 2 hrs. of uninterrupted GPS bliss

Sooo, is that a Basecamp routing issue, or is it a Montana issue?
I think, because the Montana handles routes created on the device itself without issue, the problem must be with BaseCrap.

atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote