ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #5371
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Does anyone have some custom Montana wallpapers they'd like to share? I have seen (and have) the ADV and Dirt wallpapers that were earlier on this thread.

I have a collection of several abstract wallpapers that I'll gladly pass on to anyone who wants them. They're not sophisticated or anything, but provide more options.

As we cannot attach files to posts, and I'm loath to put up two dozen images that not everyone wants to see, just PM me with an email address and I'll be happy to pass what I have along to you.

Where are the ADV and Dirt wallpaper?....I missed that
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #5372
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
One other problem I had this morning.

I made a track in BC. Converted to a route and sent it to Montana. Worked fine. Opened it up, and started following the route. about 1/4 way through I think I rode into the Bermuda Triangle
On one particular point of the route, the Montana map screen locked up. It didn't know where I was. It didn't count down. Time remained the same etc. etc. etc. I could go to different pages on the montana, and it behaved fine, but the map page was frozen. I pulled over. Turned it off/on, set it to route again and it would work fine until I hit the bermuda triangle. I did that 3 times, and finally out of frustration made a route on the unit itself, which I follwed for around 2 hrs. of uninterrupted GPS bliss

Sooo, is that a Basecamp routing issue, or is it a Montana issue? Oh, and how long do I have before I decide its too buggy and send it back to gpscity
Others have had similar experiences with Routes created off-unit with the Montana locking up the navigation in-route. I believe, although I have not setup a test scenario, that the route you created had "shaping points" in it which the Montana does not support. They were most likely placed there when you put a via point down to close to an Intersection and the Via Point "snapped" to the intersection creating a "shaping point".

Best bet is to check your Routes in BaseCamp to make sure your Via Points and Waypoints are not right on an Intersection. Or, do as some do and turn your Routes into Direct Routes before sending to the Montana. Then on the Montana use an Along-road Activity for Routing and your Route will be calculated on the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #5373
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Where are the ADV and Dirt wallpaper?....I missed that
ADV wallpaper: post #1931

Dirt wallpaper: post #1901
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #5374
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

thanks I tried to the ADV one.....renamed it like is said but when I try and select it in the appearance settings I just get the default green background.....

What am I doing wrong???
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #5375
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
thanks I tried to the ADV one.....renamed it like is said but when I try and select it in the appearance settings I just get the default green background.....

What am I doing wrong???
Compare what you have done to information here and let us know
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #5376
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Compare what you have done to information here and let us know
Looks like it should work.....named correctly, does show up in the list but just comes up as the green background....
Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #5377
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Then on the Montana use an Along-road Activity for Routing and your Route will be calculated on the Montana.

Cheers,
Thanks Dan. Can I get a translation of that? Can't find it on my unit.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #5378
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,150
Quote:
Thanks Dan. Can I get a translation of that? Can't find it on my unit.
Setup->Routing->Activity-> choose Automobile Dirving, Motorcycle Driving (I think we call it "riding") are the two "Along-road" routing Activities. The rest of the Activities are generally used for routing off of mapped roads or on Bike Paths or "trails".

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #5379
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

I figured it out....you don't actually call it .jpg Those instructions are misleading.....
WRONG
adv_portrait_night.jpg

CORRECT
adv_portrait_night
Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #5380
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
I figured it out....you don't actually call it .jpg Those instructions are misleading.....
WRONG
adv_portrait_night.jpg

CORRECT
adv_portrait_night
They are NOT misleading.

All images for wallpaper MUST be .jpg images.

Sounds to me like you might have file extensions turned off on your computer....
Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #5381
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Setup->Routing->Activity-> choose Automobile Dirving, Motorcycle Driving (I think we call it "riding") are the two "Along-road" routing Activities. The rest of the Activities are generally used for routing off of mapped roads or on Bike Paths or "trails".

Cheers,
thanks. I was looking too specific
I've mucked with it so much I can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure I had that set for motorcycle driving. Anyway, another thing to check. Thanks again
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #5382
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
They are NOT misleading.

All images for wallpaper MUST be .jpg images.

Sounds to me like you might have file extensions turned off on your computer....

Well perhaps that should be mentioned about the extensions....so yes it is misleading...

More accurately it it should give the example and say all files must be jpg....not to add the extension since the computer does that for you when you save it as such....the default on windows is to have extensions turned off.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #5383
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Well perhaps that should be mentioned about the extensions....so yes it is misleading...

More accurately it it should give the example and say all files must be jpg....not to add the extension since the computer does that for you when you save it as such....the default on windows is to have extensions turned off.

Most people I know already understand what a file extension is and how it works, and can easily and immediately recognize and understand when to add them or ignore them.

I apologize for the confusion you experienced.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #5384
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,135
Quote:

Even if you don't see extensions on your files, they are not 'turned off'. The only thing you can turn off is the visibility of the extension for 'known file types'.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #5385
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
New Montana. New problem

I've had my montana for about a week. It started up fine. I had no problem putting maps on it. I've used it a few times transferring routes from my macbook air. Today, I plug it in, it turns on like normal, then shuts down. Tried again. Same thing. And, again. Try a different cable. Same thing. If I unplug it, it starts and runs normal. Plugged in, it shuts down.

If I let it start up, then plug in the cable it shuts down automatically. It doesn't do it when taking power from the bike, or the wall.

Help!
anyone have any ideas on this?
1971 Lambretta DL