ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #5641
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotdm View Post
Hi,

I did a search and didnt find much. I see that the 600's are selling reburbed online for a decent price. Has anyone had any luck with these? Recommended seller? They are factory refurbs with 1 year warrenty

Heres an ebay link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Monta...item5aeab02f7c
Make sure they're an authorized Garmin reseller or you may end up with no warranty at all. Refurbished units are generally as good as new but buying from the right source is very important.

Here's what Garmin has to say about eBay sales.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #5642
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Make sure they're an authorized Garmin reseller or you may end up with no warranty at all. Refurbished units are generally as good as new but buying from the right source is very important.
Thanks for the reply. According to their ebay ad, they are an authorized retailer.

Edit: I just saw your link. I Think I will ask a few questions if I decide to buy it from ebay threre are other places online that its cheaper also

Thanks,
Dave
06 WR250F
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)

divotdm screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 07:28 PM
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #5643
calltrex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotdm View Post
Hi,

I did a search and didnt find much. I see that the 600's are selling reburbed online for a decent price. Has anyone had any luck with these? Recommended seller? They are factory refurbs with 1 year warrenty

Heres an ebay link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Monta...item5aeab02f7c

Thanks
Dave
$380 plus shipping for the 600

I paid $500 brand new for the Montana 650 with camera in it

I would just spend the little extra for brand new one

2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #5644
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,132
Wtf!!!

Traveled down to Eldridge, AL to work some horses this week. I turned on my Montana when I exited the interstate to find my way over to the farm in Eldridge. Asked it to navigate to the waypoint I had created in Mapsource and it said the road were no able to be navigated. WTF! So I put in the town name and tells me the same thing. I have tried using it from town to town. It still says the roads are are not able to be navigated. This is with either 100k topo or 24k topo and only enabled at a time.
At the moment I would love to shine it up, turn it sideways and stick it up some Garmin engineer's ass.
$900 and it can't navigate roads that have been here for 175 years.
Has anyone else had the same error message and how did you fix it. If I had insurance on it I would have tried using a BF rock!
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #5645
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Traveled down to Eldridge, AL to work some horses this week. I turned on my Montana when I exited the interstate to find my way over to the farm in Eldridge. Asked it to navigate to the waypoint I had created in Mapsource and it said the road were no able to be navigated. WTF! So I put in the town name and tells me the same thing. I have tried using it from town to town. It still says the roads are are not able to be navigated. This is with either 100k topo or 24k topo and only enabled at a time.
At the moment I would love to shine it up, turn it sideways and stick it up some Garmin engineer's ass.
Has anyone else had the same error message and how did you fix it. If I had insurance on it I would have tried using a BF rock!
When I first buy a gps or new map I always make a point of trying it out extensively in areas I already know to see how it works, and if I can or can not trust the choices it's making.

Have you tried navigating with it before?

Turning a gps on when you get off the interstate is not the best way to use any gps. If you're far from where it was last time it was turned on, it can take quite a while for the unit to get an updated almanac, so maybe the gps didn't know exactly where it was.

And I thought Topo 100 K does not have road navigation information in it?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #5646
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Are you sure you have routable maps? I didn't think the TOPO series was routable. For routable maps you'd need the Garmin City Navigator NT or one of the free OSM routable maps. Personally, I use the CN NT maps from Garmin.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #5647
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Garmin-sourced 24K topo maps are routable, as far as I know. I don't have any.

Garmin 100K topo is not routable.

Where did you get the 24K topo maps you are using?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #5648
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,132
It navigates fine around home. I don't currently have a car charger so I try to use it as little as possible in the truck. It does not want to navigate with 100K or 24K (I have the 650T). I suppose it may not know where it is. I have had it do the same thing once of twice in the past. I think it was also away from home. I had even created the route on map source and loaded it off my computer before I left home. It shows the way point, but won't create a route to get to it on old county roads. It shows my location here in AL.. I am new to the GPS world. This just doesn't make sense to me. My maps have all come from Garmin. I have the micro-card.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #5649
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Received a flyer from Cabela's in the mail the other day. They have the Montanas on sale right now. Free Shipping to Club Visa members as well.

Montana 600 = $479.99
650 = $549.99
650T = $579.99
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #5650
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock84 View Post
Received a flyer from Cabela's in the mail the other day. They have the Montanas on sale right now. Free Shipping to Club Visa members as well.

Montana 600 = $479.99
650 = $549.99
650T = $579.99
Current prices from GPSCity.com are as follows; the 650T is $10 more but they match any price posted elsewhere.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #5651
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Wow I did get smoking deal from EMS....I paid $479 for a new 650T
Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #5652
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Garmin-sourced 24K topo maps are routable, as far as I know. I don't have any.

Garmin 100K topo is not routable.

Where did you get the 24K topo maps you are using?

Just to confirm as this seems to come up too frequently:

Garmin 100K USA Topo is NON ROUTABLE

Garmin 24K USA Topo is ROUTABLE

I have both and know............check whatever maps you have with JavaWa Device Manager - it will confirm http://www.javawa.nl/jdm.html
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #5653
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
It navigates fine around home. I don't currently have a car charger so I try to use it as little as possible in the truck. It does not want to navigate with 100K or 24K (I have the 650T). I suppose it may not know where it is. I have had it do the same thing once of twice in the past. I think it was also away from home. I had even created the route on map source and loaded it off my computer before I left home. It shows the way point, but won't create a route to get to it on old county roads. It shows my location here in AL.. I am new to the GPS world. This just doesn't make sense to me. My maps have all come from Garmin. I have the micro-card.

Try this: Change to Automobile profile, check Setup to see that the activity is Automobile Driving and that no avoidances are set. Go to the map, select options (three little lines)-> Setup Map->Select Map, and disable the 100K topo, leaving the basemap and 24K topo enabled.

Go back to the main screen, find a city 30 miles or so away and see if the unit will autoroute to it. If so, the problem was map priority.

If you transport the unit a long way with it off, it should still take only a minute or two to find itself and show itself on the map where it actually is, then all functions should be the same as at home.

Check out this site: http://garminmontana.wikispaces.com/
VERY USEFUL!!!

The Montana has quite a learning curve but it is ultimately worth it. If you are going to use autorouting a lot, CNNA is a better choice, and it lets you search for lots of things in strange towns, like banks, motels, fuel, and PO's. I have found this VERY nice late in the day after a long drive when I'm tired.

Good Luck and try to be patient!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #5654
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I have a couple of questions that I haven't found the answers to. That doesn't mean that they haven't been addressed, just that I couldn't find them.

The Nuvi I use in my truck has the speed limit for the road I'm on in the corner of the screen. If I'm speeding the number turns red. Can I put the speed limit up on my Montana?

Also, I have some user installed red light/speed camera POIs (see a thread?) activated which work great but all the other POIs seem to be activated too. If I'm driving down a road in town every restaurant and gas station is indicated. Can I keep my speed camera POI but not have to see all the other POIs?

Thanks.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #5655
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,092
The Montana will show the speed limit like that with the nuvi dashboard if the data is available in the map you are using.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote