ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #5761
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
BaseCamp 4.0.4.0 Update

Just started Bascamp & got a box saying there was an update to 4.0.4.0, clicked the Download then got a box to do the Update...all I get is a box saying 'Error Launching Installer' .

Running Win7 64 & haven't had troubles before on any updates to Basecamp.

Any body else?
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #5762
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
Just started Bascamp & got a box saying there was an update to 4.0.4.0, clicked the Download then got a box to do the Update...all I get is a box saying 'Error Launching Installer' .

Any body else?
I did not have any trouble with the automatic update.

You can try the direct download here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #5763
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I did not have any trouble with the automatic update.

You can try the direct download here.
thanks, I'll have to book mark that DL page for future problems.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #5764
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Or just go to this page to chose between Windows or Mac.

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/basecamp

Jon...
Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #5765
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 383
So I have had my Montana 600 for a couple of days. I had downloaded Basecamp and several maps before receiving the GPS. I installed the maps, including one open source routable street map. When using the unit to navigate on the road, the results were less than impressive. Yesterday, I broke down and purchased City Navigator 2013. I found it to be MUCH better than the open source maps that I've found. I had also downloaded a California topo map, which didn't show very many trails at all, and seemed to never know where I was during my dirt bike ride yesterday. I'm considering paying for the 24k Topo West maps, but I want to see if the City Navigator has improved anything before doing so.

Does anyone have recommendations for GOOD topo maps (with trails) for California? The ones I've tried have all been disappointing.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #5766
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonerov View Post
So I have had my Montana 600 for a couple of days. I had downloaded Basecamp and several maps before receiving the GPS. I installed the maps, including one open source routable street map. When using the unit to navigate on the road, the results were less than impressive. Yesterday, I broke down and purchased City Navigator 2013. I found it to be MUCH better than the open source maps that I've found. I had also downloaded a California topo map, which didn't show very many trails at all, and seemed to never know where I was during my dirt bike ride yesterday. I'm considering paying for the 24k Topo West maps, but I want to see if the City Navigator has improved anything before doing so.

Does anyone have recommendations for GOOD topo maps (with trails) for California? The ones I've tried have all been disappointing.

Can you list all the map versions you have tried that were disappointing and where you sourced them?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #5767
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Quote:
Can you list all the map versions you have tried that were disappointing and where you sourced them?
Sure, I would have included them in my previous post if I could remember them off-hand. I tried the routable California map from mapsbank.com, one of the california topo maps from gpsfiledepot.com, and the California routable map from openstreetmap.

I am seriously considering just ponying-up the money for the 24K topo from Garmin....
Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #5768
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Sure, I would have included them in my previous post if I could remember them off-hand. I tried the routable California map from mapsbank.com, one of the california topo maps from gpsfiledepot.com, and the California routable map from openstreetmap.

I am seriously considering just ponying-up the money for the 24K topo from Garmin....
When I visit GPSFileDepot.com, Select California and filter for Topo Maps only, I get 16 maps to choose from. Only four of those do not contain roads, and seven do not have trail data. Can you narrow it down any further?

My memory suggests to me the current Garmin 24K topo maps are still built from 2008 data.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #5769
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Quote:
When I visit GPSFileDepot.com, Select California and filter for Topo Maps only, I get 16 maps to choose from. Only four of those do not contain roads, and seven do not have trail data. Can you narrow it down any further?

My memory suggests to me the current Garmin 24K topo maps are still built from 2008 data.
Sorry, I forgot about that. I just looked at my download history. Here are the files I've downloaded:

california_topo_2011 (gpsfiledepot.com)
us_plan_nw (gpsfiledepot.com)
California by MapsBank
osm_generic_windows (I can't recall the host)

I'm covered for street nav now, having purchased Garmin's overpriced maps. I would love something useful for offroad use on my TE450/DR250 though. I may just end up grabbing my ankles and spending the $120+ for the 24K West Topo map.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #5770
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot about that. I just looked at my download history. Here are the files I've downloaded:

california_topo_2011 (gpsfiledepot.com)
us_plan_nw (gpsfiledepot.com)
California by MapsBank
osm_generic_windows (I can't recall the host)

I'm covered for street nav now, having purchased Garmin's overpriced maps. I would love something useful for offroad use on my TE450/DR250 though. I may just end up grabbing my ankles and spending the $120+ for the 24K West Topo map.
The 100K Map Trails and My Trails from GPSFileDepot both have better trail coverage than Garmin Topo US 24K West, in California.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #5771
kaspilo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Had a Montana 650 go dead!

Yes, last week while riding the Ozarks in Arkansas the Screen on the Montana 650 went dead. At first it flashed and lost all maps, after a reboot got the maps back for about 5 mionutes and lost them again, the screen reamined lit. Then tried to reboot it again... nothing, removed the beatery and re-installing back got nothing!

Sent the unit to Garmin, they were great, very good service and support. They are sending a new/rfeurbished unit at no cost. It was crazy, the week before I lost my Quest, and also Garmin had to replace it for $29.
kaspilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #5772
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post

Any body else?
Yep, I get the exact same error.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 AM   #5773
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Wierd. It ran on mine without problems. Win XP SP3 (32bit).
Old 11-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #5774
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 630
Ems.com now has the 650 for $439 so I grabbed one finally. I've only been lurking here since this time last year!

Yesterday I tried to get gpscity to match the price on the $399 600 and they wouldn't because they couldn't tell if they are new or refurbished. I called EMS to confirm they are new and are an authorized Garmin dealer. Glad I waited a day to get the 650.

I think they have one 650 left.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #5775
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Updated OK here. No issues.