ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #5791
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
Hi,

If I can get a new Montana 650T for $300, should I get it? And if I am doing 60/40 pavement/dirt should I get the 660 or 650T?

Thanks...
No, you shouldn't get it.

Where, pray tell?

New 650Ts do not go for $300 unless they "just fell off a truck".
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #5792
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

Where, pray tell?
Garmin employee sale...

mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #5793
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Garmin employee sale...

We're all practically employees here!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #5794
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

There's an update out today for Lifetime Map Updaters.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #5795
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
There's an update out today for Lifetime Map Updaters.

I just ordered the CN 2013 DVD and was wondering if I should have spent the extra money on the lifetime maps.
I figured the maps themselves wouldn't change that much just the POIs and I can use my phone for that. I imagine in a few years I'll want the latest greatest gps and the maps are locked to one unit.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #5796
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I just ordered the CN 2013 DVD and was wondering if I should have spent the extra money on the lifetime maps.
I figured the maps themselves wouldn't change that much just the POIs and I can use my phone for that. I imagine in a few years I'll want the latest greatest gps and the maps are locked to one unit.
If you use CNNA mostly for navigation in cities and suburbs, it's probably worth it, 'cause those roads are constantly changing. You can get a lifetime card on Amazon for about $55, about the same as a single update.

If you use it for navigation mostly in the country and get updated POI's on your phone, it may not be worth the bother.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #5797
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 659
Good to know about Amazon update, thanks!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #5798
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Mounting with Amps Rugged Mount

Hi,

Ordered my 650T and Amps rugged mount. (Can't wait )

When mounting the Amps mount for the Montana what do you usually do with the audio cable? Do you just coil it up somewhere in the front near the mount?

And what is the prefered method of hooking the mount up to the battery, switched or not? Does it make sense to connect it to a SAE lead close to the Mount?

Thanks for the advice...
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #5799
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Hi,

Congratulations!

Quote:
When mounting the Amps mount for the Montana what do you usually do with the audio cable? Do you just coil it up somewhere in the front near the mount?

And what is the prefered method of hooking the mount up to the battery, switched or not? Does it make sense to connect it to a SAE lead close to the Mount?

Thanks for the advice...
I ran an audio extension cable from the steering head, under the tank, to the base of the seat. This allows me to plug in a set of ear buds, or a coiled audio cable to my Scala Rider G4. My bike has a CANBus accessory connector in the steering head area. I have my Montana 650 connected to that power source (it is a switched source that powers down about 45 seconds after the ignition is shut off).
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #5800
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the advice...
Sounds like the exact setup i have on the 4 rugged mounts I have here: Cable coiled with tie-wraps holding it to the crossbar, and powered by an SAE cable at the steering head.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #5801
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like the exact setup i have on the 4 rugged mounts I have here: Cable coiled with tie-wraps holding it to the crossbar, and powered by an SAE cable at the steering head.
So you are not cutting the power cord of the mount shorter? Left it long and coil with audio?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #5802
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
So you are not cutting the power cord of the mount shorter? Left it long and coil with audio?
No, I cut the power cable a few inches from the junction so most of the coiled part is just the audio cable.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #5803
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the advice...
I left everything long, coiled and tied off somewhere out of the way so I could still access the audio plug for earbuds or for someday when I moved it to another bike. I don't use the audio much for my kind of riding.

I prefer a direct wire to the battery so that the Montana doesn't keep powering off during short stops, with the attendant waiting for it to re-boot. When home for the day, I just unmount it and let in hang in the mount by the lanyard. (You DO have a lanyard in mind, don't you?) However, my bike lives in my garage, so theft is not an issue.

Switched or not, you still have to remove it when theft is a concern. There are numerous posts in this thread about the pros and cons of each....search for Rugged Mount.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #5804
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
If you use CNNA mostly for navigation in cities and suburbs, it's probably worth it, 'cause those roads are constantly changing. You can get a lifetime card on Amazon for about $55, about the same as a single update.
Thanks for the heads-up. I got a lifetime card from Amazon for $54.

It worked flawlessly.

Best price I've seen on the lifetime maps option.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #5805
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 273
Montana Mount & Power Cable

I prefer to have as little cable as possible on my dash or bars so I shorten everything where possible. Here's the Montana install on my KTM 990 ADV.

The mount is home brew that uses a bicycle axle skewer for tilt. It is semi-easy to remove. The cradle tilt plate is slotted on one side only so the skewer nut has to be fully removed to get the cradle off the base bracket. The cradle removal is a 5 minute exercise and prevents the 10 second ripoff. This lets me leave the cradle on almost all of the time without having to worry about it "growing legs".

I shortened the Montana harness between the cradle and the "Y" and again at the power cable. The plug is one of our Baryl plugs. The audio cable was left full length. I curl it up between the speedo and GPS cradle.

The power cable plugs into a Baryl panel-mount socket that is connected to switched power rather than direct to the battery. The Montana gives the option to "Turn Off" or "Stay On" when the bike is switched off so it doesn't have to be restarted after a fuel stop.

Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote