ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #5866
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
I also use to install all my maps onto my 16gb usb drive. But after loosing the Montana's usb drive connection out on the trail more than once, I've since altered my map install approach. I now install CN map onto the main drive as my primary basemap, just in case the usb goes south. That way I have at least one good working map. All my other maps remain on the usb.

The ear plug in the battery compartment works the majority of the time to make everything snug, but when the going gets really rough the usb can still vib loose, hence temp loosing your map. Should mention I've only had this occur on gnarly rock infested single track type trails. When this occurs the fix is easy though, open bat compartment, re-snug the usb drive and ear plug snugger.
You mean SD, not USB.

And this is how I keep mine in place:

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #5867
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Mine was reading a 24 hour high of +33, on a day it never went higher than 6C.

Guess I'd better ask Garmin for a working one.
Good thing this was posted. I never checked mine as I was just using the current temp (mine was one of the first batch out of GPSCITY - Calgary). Anyway have checked it the past 2 days & I have a 45C as max & 0C as min & that hasn't changed even going on a cage ride (winter here) to verify that it does function.
Guess I'll be calling Garmin support for a replacement.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #5868
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,637
Guess I got lucky, my Tempe seems to be working correctly.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #5869
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
So, I currently have a 2720 and 60CSX and both work fine. I used the 2720 on the ST1100 for years with no issues. I got the 60CSX to use on the dirtbike in the woods and then when I sold the ST and got an FZ1 I started using the 60CSX on it as the 2720 seemed too big and blocked the gages.

I've got a Ninja 1000 now and took a few days trip this week with the 60CSX on it and the screen is too small for street use Im feeling. I am thinking of getting a Montana 600 to use on the street now.

What do you guys that have the powered cradle do about covering the contacts when you ride without the GPS? If I wired the cradle up to the bike it would be on a keyed power connection, so it would be "hot" anytime the bike is running.....if the GPS isn't in the cradle, how do you protect the contacts from getting wet and shorting out?

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #5870
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
What do you guys that have the powered cradle do about covering the contacts when you ride without the GPS? If I wired the cradle up to the bike it would be on a keyed power connection, so it would be "hot" anytime the bike is running.....if the GPS isn't in the cradle, how do you protect the contacts from getting wet and shorting out?
The Rugged Mount includes a rubber cover for the contacts. The cover is 'captive' on the mount so you can't lose it when you're not using it.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #5871
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Ah, NICE. Thanks man.

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #5872
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
Ah, NICE. Thanks man.

Also, even if you forgot to use the cover, rain would not short it out. It's low voltage USB power, and nothing to really worry about. Most of the time I forget to use the cover and it makes no difference except to my paranoia.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #5873
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 630
I wired my AMPS mount with an SAE to the battery unswitched so it's always hot. I've seen someone else added a switch but I imagine the Montana doesn't draw much juice and I'll always take it off the mount when stopping.
Am I missing something or is it ok to have the mount unswitched?
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #5874
guavadude
de-composer

When I'm in map mode with no navigation, is there a pref to not have the way point "pin" drop? I'm having a hard time scrolling around without dropping pins.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #5875
socaltrailrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Looking to buy a Montana this week. Best price I've found is at GPScity. Has anyone come across the Montana on any Black Friday sales?
socaltrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #5876
guavadude
de-composer

Got my new 650 from EMS for $439 and it came with a $15 coupon. They go fast so watch for what you want.
Should be deals on black Friday and cyber Monday from everyone.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #5877
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,656
Why are they selling so darn cheap? New improved model coming out after the holidays is my guess. New battery compartment that does not require an ear plug. I'm sure there are more things than that which must be fixed on V2.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #5878
guavadude
de-composer

That's actually the price they were this time last year. I think it has more to do with black Friday and EMS being competitive.
But seeing that I waited a year to buy one and got mine last week, a new model should be out any day now!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #5879
socaltrailrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I did check ems.com. The 600 is $499.99 right now. I'm going to keep an eye on the site though.

socaltrailrider screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 04:57 AM
socaltrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #5880
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I wired my AMPS mount with an SAE to the battery unswitched so it's always hot. I've seen someone else added a switch but I imagine the Montana doesn't draw much juice and I'll always take it off the mount when stopping.
Am I missing something or is it ok to have the mount unswitched?
There's no problem running directly to the battery. There is no current draw when the Montana is off or out of the cradle. I happen to have mine connected to a switched circuit only because it was convenient.
I did something similar to your SAE connector arrangement using one of our (3BR Powersports) Baryl connectors between the cradle and the dash.I shortened up the cable a bunch between the cradle and the "Y" and again between the Y and the plug. I left the audio cable full length. The Baryl connector is more weather resistant than the SAE but if it is up on the dash it probably doesn't make any difference.

You can see how short the cable is between the Y and plug in this view.
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote