ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #5896
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
the AMP mount is a four screw mount so you'll need one of those with a 1" ball to use with your existing RAM mounts.
The rugged mount comes with 3 Garmin screen protectors.

Good time for me to ask, what is everyone's preference on screen protectors?
I know Drytbike Dan likes the Zagg. I grabbed some of those but am wondering if people like the Garmin protectors too.
Seems like the Zagg are not anti-glare or smudge proof, is that a big deal?

I have lots to learn too but it's pretty much all in this thread somewhere!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #5897
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
the AMP mount is a four screw mount so you'll need one of those with a 1" ball to use with your existing RAM mounts.
The rugged mount comes with 3 Garmin screen protectors.

Good time for me to ask, what is everyone's preference on screen protectors?
I know Drytbike Dan likes the Zagg. I grabbed some of those but am wondering if people like the Garmin protectors too.
Seems like the Zagg are not anti-glare or smudge proof, is that a big deal?

I have lots to learn too but it's pretty much all in this thread somewhere!
My wife and I run the ones Garmin supplied with the Rugged Mounts. We're happy with those, at least until they get old and stiff, and start making their own menu selections. We have about 15 left in reserve.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #5898
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
My wife and I run the ones Garmin supplied with the Rugged Mounts. We're happy with those, at least until they get old and stiff, and start making their own menu selections. We have about 15 left in reserve.
+1, just the protector that comes with the mount. Works well enough for my purposes. My screen always ends up getting dusty anyway. I just don't want the dust to scratch the actual screen when I'm using the GPS.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #5899
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I think by now we all know that the tempe wireless temperature sensor is defective. Garmin is working on producing corrected units and, if you reported yours to Product Support, you should get a new one when they are available. In the mean time, here is a description of how the tempe works - in case you haven't figured it out by now.

From Montana Dev Team:
I’ll give you a quick and basic example of how the feature works. I put the tempe under a light bulb and it reads 100°F at 10:00:00 AM on Thursday. I move it away from the light bulb and it somehow magically cools to 75°F at 10:00:01 AM on Thursday. It remains at 75°F until I heat it up to 85°F at 11:00:00 AM on Thursday. It then cools down back to 75°F and remains at that temperature. At 9:59:59 AM on Friday, the 24hr max will read 100°F. At 10:00:01 AM on Friday, the 24hr max will read 85°F. Because the 100°F temperature was greater than 24 hours in the past, it is no longer the 24hr max.

My unit doesn't do this., The MAX Temp stays the same for past few days.

Quote:
The 24 hour min/max temperatures are saved on the tempe. That allows the 24hr min/max to be preserved even if you turn off your handheld or walk out of range to the tempe, and it gives you more flexibility when using the tempe. As a basic example, you could leave it outside far away from your handheld device in the evening and then return in the morning with your handheld to figure out how cold it got the previous night. The only way to “reset it” and clear the 24hr min/max is to remove the battery from the tempe and wait several seconds. The tempe will then forget everything and start from scratch.
I called Garmin Support (it was quick to got to talk 2 mins) after I was lead through the master reset & again verified that the MAX Temp was the same (45C) he put me on hold & then came back to say I had to remove the battery every-time I wanted the Min/Max temps reset! I told him that I thought he was wrong & that the Tempe was a $30 piece of junk if that was the case. So I'll do some more testing after removing the battery & see what happens.

Or am I missing something it the operation of the Tempe?
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #5900
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Mine was reading a 24 hour high of +33, on a day it never went higher than 6C.

Guess I'd better ask Garmin for a working one.
Someone from Garmin is obviously reading this forum as it's the only place I mentioned my Tempe problem, and today I was contacted out of the blue, to say I should make a call to Product Support on the issue.

Just for the record, it only took me 6 minutes to speak to a customer service rep.

Unfortunately his advice was to remove the battery for 30 seconds, to reset the Max and Min temperatures.

I created a ticket on this and hope to get a fixed one soon. The CS guy thought it was going to be a software fix, but no idea if it'll be something we at home can apply. I wonder if it'll be something we download to the Montana to fix it?

Possible, I suppose.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #5901
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post

My unit doesn't do this., The MAX Temp stays the same for past few days.

I called Garmin Support (it was quick to got to talk 2 mins) after I was lead through the master reset & again verified that the MAX Temp was the same (45C) he put me on hold & then came back to say I had to remove the battery every-time I wanted the Min/Max temps reset! I told him that I thought he was wrong & that the Tempe was a $30 piece of junk if that was the case. So I'll do some more testing after removing the battery & see what happens.

Or am I missing something it the operation of the Tempe?
That's funny - the guy I spoke to thought I was you calling back. He started out saying "I just spoke to you 5 minutes ago, didn't I?" I guess we described the same problem the same way, and we sound the same.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #5902
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
That's funny - the guy I spoke to thought I was you calling back. He started out saying "I just spoke to you 5 minutes ago, didn't I?" I guess we described the same problem the same way, and we sound the same.
So you speak 'OZ' too! wonder if he was having a hard time understanding.

Did you get the same answer? Opps , I see you responded above...I didn't get to create a ticket.

Maybe I'll call GPSCity & see what they have to say.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #5903
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
So you speak 'OZ' too! wonder if he was having a hard time understanding.

Did you get the same answer? Opps , I see you responded above...I didn't get to create a ticket.

Maybe I'll call GPSCity & see what they have to say.
I had to suggest the ticket idea. And then I had to suggest he take my name and email address. He obviously wasn't taking it very seriously.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #5904
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
At my age older means limp not stiff. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #5905
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
At my age older means limp not stiff. GH
You and me both!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #5906
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Well I am not a happy person today

I have been using my third Montana for only 4 days and had to do a master reset. It just decided to lose all my waypoints, stoopid damn thing

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Sent by arcane magic
using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #5907
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Well I am not a happy person today

I have been using my third Montana for only 4 days and had to do a master reset. It just decided to lose all my waypoints, stoopid damn thing
Have you considered that perhaps something you're doing, or loading to the gps is causing this? What maps are you using?

Have you tried running JaVaWa Device Manager on your gps to see if it finds errors in the maps or gpx files on it?

And in my experience, a master reset does not lose things. IMHO, there's something else going on there.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #5908
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
my apologies if this has been answered already, but I will have internet availability only for a few hours and thus it is a little bit hard to review back most of this big thread.

Currently I'm in Popoyan, Colombia, and after 2.5 months of riding in South America my Montana starts doing its "things". It is as if the screen is constantly being pressed in the upper and lower left corners (portrait mode), so the unit is essentially unusable. For example, in Map, where I have the data fields in the upper section, the left datafield is pressed by its own, then switches to the "change datafield" screen etc ... and it just won't stop... At some moment, when it stopped doing it, I was fast enoug to lock the datafields. But then, the lower left corner started acting in the same way ...

Is this the known screen issue? Is there a work around it, without having to replace the unit (which is something that probably won't happen here :( )
Would a master reset solve this? or a screen calibration?

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #5909
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadspirit View Post
It is as if the screen is constantly being pressed in the upper and lower left corners (portrait mode), so the unit is essentially unusable.
If you are using a screen protector, try removing it.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #5910
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadspirit View Post
my apologies if this has been answered already, but I will have internet availability only for a few hours and thus it is a little bit hard to review back most of this big thread.

Currently I'm in Popoyan, Colombia, and after 2.5 months of riding in South America my Montana starts doing its "things". It is as if the screen is constantly being pressed in the upper and lower left corners (portrait mode), so the unit is essentially unusable. For example, in Map, where I have the data fields in the upper section, the left datafield is pressed by its own, then switches to the "change datafield" screen etc ... and it just won't stop... At some moment, when it stopped doing it, I was fast enoug to lock the datafields. But then, the lower left corner started acting in the same way ...

Is this the known screen issue? Is there a work around it, without having to replace the unit (which is something that probably won't happen here :( )
Would a master reset solve this? or a screen calibration?
This sounds like the screen protector issue I had. It ages, hardens and possibly shrinks, and starts making screen selections because it's effectively touching the screen. If you have a Garmin screen protector on it, remove it to see if the issue continues. Putting on a fresh protector stopped mine from auto-selecting menu items.

If you do need to remove the screen protector, here's how:

If you can't see the video, here's a hint. Use your fingernail to lift the old one up from the corner. (Garmin told me to use a credit card but that didn't work, as the video shows)

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 06:41 AM