ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 174 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #5971
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
FWIW, I use an OP/Tech case. I am pretty sure it is this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uch_Large.html

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #5972
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

FWIW, the Pelican 1040 Micro case seems to be appropriately sized to fit it as well. Can be found here on sale, although I did not try finding it cheaper as I have not pulled the trigger: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...73304.11045276
I have a Pelican 1020 which is about 1/4" too short for the Montana, not that I feel it needs a hard case. I use a camera pouch I found for $1 in a Sally Ann. Works perfectly. Looks virtually identical to the OP/TECH.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #5973
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post

It is 100 times more sensitive than my old 76C in that regard. That's ONE thing you don't have to worry about!
That's not saying a lot, those old 76C's suck when it comes to sat reception.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #5974
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,700
Quote:
What are you guys liking for a protective carrying case to keep the unit in when not in use?
Case??? Mine sits on the kitchen counter. Hasn't got damaged yet.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #5975
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
What are you guys liking for a protective carrying case to keep the unit in when not in use?
Case??? I use an old hiking sock.

Do I get to be the first post on page 400?

Here's to the longest thread in forum history!!!

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 06:57 AM Reason: I guess not....
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #5976
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Case??? I use an old hiking sock.

Do I get to be the first post on page 400?

Here's to the longest thread in forum history!!!
RTFS, there are 15 posts/page...

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #5977
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
RTFS, there are 15 posts/page...

Cheers,
Depends on your personal settings. I'm set to 10/page right now.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #5978
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Hey guys, new (soon to be) Montana 600 owner here. My Montana and CNNA 2013 DVD have shipped but I don't have them yet. I do have a MyGarmin account for my 2720 and 60CSx devices.

I am trying to get caught up on this entire thread, am on page 53 now and saving posts as notes with good info to refer back to when I get to play with the Montana, but I wanted to jump to the end here and ask this question.....

I'll likely use the Montana the majority of the time on my road bike, but think the Birdseye imagery would be cool to have. I see that it is currently priced at $19.99. I don't know if this is a Black Friday sort of deal or not, but would like to get it at that price vs $29.99 obviously.

Can I go ahead and buy it now and download the images to my PC or do I have to wait until I get the Montana in hand and registered?

Even when I have the Montana in hand, can I download bulk Birdseye images to the PC and then just move them over to the Montana as needed? Say, if Im going on a trip to NC, move those from the PC to the Montana and then after I get back home from the trip, delete them from the Montana to regain space but still have them on the PC to copy down to the Montana at a later time if wanted?

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #5979
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
Hey guys, new (soon to be) Montana 600 owner here. My Montana and CNNA 2013 DVD have shipped but I don't have them yet. I do have a MyGarmin account for my 2720 and 60CSx devices.

I am trying to get caught up on this entire thread, am on page 53 now and saving posts as notes with good info to refer back to when I get to play with the Montana, but I wanted to jump to the end here and ask this question.....

I'll likely use the Montana the majority of the time on my road bike, but think the Birdseye imagery would be cool to have. I see that it is currently priced at $19.99. I don't know if this is a Black Friday sort of deal or not, but would like to get it at that price vs $29.99 obviously.

Can I go ahead and buy it now and download the images to my PC or do I have to wait until I get the Montana in hand and registered?

Even when I have the Montana in hand, can I download bulk Birdseye images to the PC and then just move them over to the Montana as needed? Say, if Im going on a trip to NC, move those from the PC to the Montana and then after I get back home from the trip, delete them from the Montana to regain space but still have them on the PC to copy down to the Montana at a later time if wanted?

I just put up the BirdsEye page at the Montana wiki.

DO buy the BirdsEye subscription NOW while it is on sale, and skip the 'Device Activation' until you have received your Montana and registered the unit.

While waiting for your Montana, make sure you read these FAQ.

Once you have downloading BirdsEye imagery in BaseCamp, and send that data to your Montana, BaseCamp will encrypt the maps so they will only function with your GPSr. Once they are on the Montana, COPY these *.JNX files (located in the Montana\Garmin\BirdsEye\ or uSD\Garmin\BirdsEye\ directories) to a safe place on your computer. You can then quickly move these files to/from your computer and Montana as needed. If you were to try and re-send from BaseCamp after your one year subscription expires, BaseCamp will not encrypt them properly.

You can place sub-directories in the \Garmin\BirdsEye\ directory to help organize your BirdsEye *.JNX maps.

You may want to get a 32GB uSD card if you are going to use a lot of satellite imagery, as space gets used up quickly.

Enjoy your new Montana!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #5980
HTSRocker
Absurd

Oddometer: 2,324
How can I use the USB port on a computer while connected to the Montana and still use the device at the same time.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #5981
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
I think by now we all know that the tempe wireless temperature sensor is defective. Garmin is working on producing corrected units and, if you reported yours to Product Support, you should get a new one when they are available. In the mean time, here is a description of how the tempe works - in case you haven't figured it out by now.
Cheers,
I just received a Tempe sensor from GPS City after it had been back-ordered many weeks. Is there a way of identifying a "new" corrected unit vs the older model my model# or serial#?

Otherwise I suppose I'll have to do the multi-day test procedure.

So far my Tempe sensor seems to be working properly in terms of measuring ambient temperature correctly and reporting to my Montana.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #5982
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSRocker View Post
How can I use the USB port on a computer while connected to the Montana and still use the device at the same time.
Setup->System->Interface->Garmin Spanner, when you plug your Montana into a USB port you'll get a "Yes-No" screen asking if you want to be in Mass Storage Mode. If you say "No" you will be just using the USB ports power to charge the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #5983
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,946
Quote:
Setup->System->Interface->Garmin Spanner, when you plug your Montana into a USB port you'll get a "Yes-No" screen asking if you want to be in Mass Storage Mode. If you say "No" you will be just using the USB ports power to charge the Montana.

Cheers,
Wait. I've never quite understood what was happening during the "mass storage mode". I hit no once, and I couldn't get anything to load. From then on, I just say yes, and it behaves as it should. Not sure what Mass storage mode is...
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #5984
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Wait. I've never quite understood what was happening during the "mass storage mode". I hit no once, and I couldn't get anything to load. From then on, I just say yes, and it behaves as it should. Not sure what Mass storage mode is...
When the unit is in Mass Storage Mode it's just like connecting any other USB storage device to your computer. When the Montana is in MSM you can read/write data to it but you cannot use the functions of the Montana.

When the unit is not in MSM but is connected to your computer you can use the Montana's functions and the USB connection just provides power to the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 07:43 AM
Old 11-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #5985
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Download Garmin's WebUpdater here and run the program. Only Beta versions can be downloaded - official releases are through WebUpdater.
So with the 60CSx and 2720, I used to download the firmware updates and keep them on my PC so if one was quirky I could roll back to an earlier one. This option is no longer available with the Montana and Garmin WebUpdater? How / is there a method of rolling back firmware if needed?

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote