ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 140 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #6226
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Does your Fuel Services Icon still have the magnifying glass, shortcut arrow, or neither?
These Icon's are those for the Where To? search apps. They will all have the magnifying glass. They are not "shortcuts" but rather predefined "Search" apps.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #6227
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Master Reset will not change your Profiles nor should future updates change these "App calls". All of the Montana Apps are defined in the "lookup tables" internal to the Montana code (that's how "lookup tables" work). Just because the Dev Team has changed the list of Apps they show us in this Where To? list does not change the previously defined Apps #'s. Hence, Fuel Services should always be #66 in the "lookup table". IF, they were to completely remove the App (feature) from the Montana then the App# would no longer work (or would call some other App) but that is really a poor way to do business with PND's so I don't think we'll see any of that (I hope not anyway).
Cheers,
Whew! Good to hear....I REALLY like that canned search when on a Freeway in some strange city after dark and nearly empty!

Thanks Master Dan!

And yes, I will definitely contact the team....I rather think they may have gotten a bit tired of this HUGE thread.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #6228
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bli55 View Post
Luckily, Garmin is sane (unlike RAM with their 11mm nut for a large-pitch threaded U bar...) and uses a standart pitch M3 thread. So to a bolt shop I go.
Um, Bli55, you do realize that "11 mm nut" is actually an American size, not Metric, right? Takes a 1/4" wrench to remove it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #6229
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
You mean the Profile. The code is shown in post #6227.

Yes, I will shortly post the Profile.

Cheers,
Profile? I thought I was asking about a Shortcut which brought up the "Find Fuel" screen.

But I should have asked Rocky TFS instead. He seems to be the one with a Shortcut from the previous software incarnation.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #6230
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Profile? I thought I was asking about a Shortcut which brought up the "Find Fuel" screen.

But I should have asked Rocky TFS instead. He seems to be the one with a Shortcut from the previous software incarnation.
Yep, a Profile. There was never a way to create a Shortcut to a Where To? function other than a Waypoint. The only way to get an Icon on your Menu is/was to [ Add->WhereTo?-> ] during Setup-MainMenu. So, once in the MainMenu setup you could add a Where To? Search function: e.g, Fuel Services. Well, that Where To? function list has been changed in the v4.60 code. You now only get the general category of Search.

This was the pre-v4.60 list of WhereTo? search options for adding a WhereTo? search to your Menu:

This is the v4.60 list of WhereTo? search options for adding a WhereTo? search to your Menu:

To be absolutely correct in this, Garmin just left out a bunch of the Search categories - which happen to be the ones we would use most often.
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #6231
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

MBD, it's NOT a shortcut! See DRTBYK post #6213. Not technically anyway, but of course it works just like a shortcut, thus my (and everybody else's) confusion.

This canned search for Fuel Services, created just like DRTBYK said, was made some 6 months ago, in which version I'm not sure, but most likely 3.90 or 4.20. It's still there on my menu, just where I put back then, and looks just like the icon for Fuel Services in the Where To? categories with a little magnifying glass in the lower right corner instead of the shortcut arrow. There are several examples in recent screen shots from DRTBK a page or two back.

It's NO WONDER none of us can get a shortcut to do this!!

Everybody write MontanaBeta at youknowwho! Why can't they fix other stuff without destroying a really good feature?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #6232
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
To be absolutely correct in this, Garmin just left out a bunch of the Search categories - which happen to be the ones we would use most often.
Cheers,
Well now, this just gets curiouser and curiouser.....I just checked my V4.60 Montana, and doing a Add Menu Item->Where TO?-> page down the categories to......Ta Da FUEL SERVICES!!!! They don't have icons on the categories anymore, but the same old fuel icon with the little magnifying glass shows up when you select that category.

Let's see what others come up with? Can you add Fuel Services, Hospital, etc. by this method just the same as we used to do in earlier versions?

So what exactly ARE the categories that got left out? I not going to figure this out because I'd have to revert to 4.20 and I don't want to go through the hassle, but maybe someone who still has pre 4.60 will post a screen shot of all Where To? categories.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #6233
michael2wheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post

Let's see what others come up with? Can you add Fuel Services, Hospital, etc. by this method just the same as we used to do in earlier versions?

It works for me in 4.6 also!
michael2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #6234
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Well now, this just gets curiouser and curiouser.....I just checked my V4.60 Montana, and doing a Add Menu Item->Where TO?-> page down the categories to......Ta Da FUEL SERVICES!!!! They don't have icons on the categories anymore, but the same old fuel icon with the little magnifying glass shows up when you select that category.

So what exactly ARE the categories that got left out? I not going to figure this out because I'd have to revert to 4.20 and I don't want to go through the hassle, but maybe someone who still has pre 4.60 will post a screen shot of all Where To? categories.
I'm glad you found them RTFS. This is another example of a Custom Profile not showing all of the possible "list" choices. I've had this problem in the past on another feature. All of the "standard" Profiles do have the complete WhereTo? list of searches.

OK, it's my unit (Custom Profile's) that seems to have this problem. I'll contact the Dev Team and let them know there's another "special" condition with Custom Profile.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #6235
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I'm glad you found them RTFS. This is another example of a Custom Profile not showing all of the possible "list" choices. I've had this problem in the past on another feature. All of the "standard" Profiles do have the complete WhereTo? list of searches.

OK, it's my unit (Custom Profile's) that seems to have this problem. I'll contact the Dev Team and let them know there's another "special" condition with Custom Profile.

Cheers,

Well, I'm old and slow but eventually I [usually] get it. Here is how the Montana's Applications, Shortcuts, Setup and WhereTo? links work when you add something to a Menu. Once you place the link on a Menu the next time you are in Setup-MainMenu and access that (what you add previously) list you will NOT see that item on the list - since it is already on a Menu.

So, when I look at the WhereTo? Search list under Setup MainMenu, I don't see Fuel Service, Food and Drink, Lodging, Extras and Hospitals.

Sometimes getting old sucks - the rest of the time it's OK 'cuz I'm still here.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #6236
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Well, I'm old and slow but eventually I [usually] get it. Here is how the Montana's Applications, Shortcuts, Setup and WhereTo? links work when you add something to a Menu. Once you place the link on a Menu the next time you are in Setup-MainMenu and access that (what you add previously) list you will NOT see that item on the list - since it is already on a Menu.

Cheers,
A VERY IMPORTANT point, and why so many of us were not able to see whatever category we were looking for.
It just so happened that I changed to a Camping profile just before diong the test because I didn't want to screw up one of my main profiles. Camping Profile had NO Where To? icons.

However, I just did this check: I counted ALL the categories available in the normal main screen Where To? and ALL the categories in the Setup>Main Menu>Where To?. There were 37 in the first and 35 in the second. Fuel services was no longer available in the second, just as you said. That makes 36...so where and what is 37 in the Setup> Main Menu>Where To? Next test, I'll change back to Recreational, which is unchanged from original and do this all again.

OK, to settle this once and for all, (until the next revision), here's how to "can" a search category into an icon:

Setup>Main Menu>option>Setup Drawer>(plus or minus changes to Add Icon)>Add Icon>Select Category:(Applications,Shortcuts,Setup, Where To?)

Select Where To?> Select desired category. The name of the Category (i.e. Hospitals) and its icon will be added to the drawer at the end of all the other icons. Now you can move it wherever you want.

Yeah, you can put it directly into the Main Menu, I just think the majority of us would rather have these types of icons in the drawer.

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 04:46 PM Reason: additional text
Old 12-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #6237
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
A VERY IMPORTANT point, and why so many of us were not able to see whatever category we were looking for....

However, I just did this check: I counted ALL the categories available in the normal main screen Where To? and ALL the categories in the Setup>Main Menu>Where To?. There were 37 in the first and 35 in the second. Fuel services was no longer available in the second, just as you said. That makes 36...so where and what is 37 in the Setup> Main Menu>Where To? Next test, I'll change back to Recreational, which is unchanged from original and do this all again.
The extra category (#37) is Recent Finds (Recently Found). You only see that category if you have previously done a WhereTo? search for something.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #6238
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,887
Quote:
A VERY IMPORTANT point, and why so many of us were not able to see whatever category we were looking for.
It just so happened that I changed to a Camping profile just before diong the test because I didn't want to screw up one of my main profiles. Camping Profile had NO Where To? icons.

OK, to settle this once and for all, (until the next revision), here's how to "can" a search category into an icon:

Setup>Main Menu>option>Setup Drawer>(plus or minus changes to Add Icon)>Add Icon>Select Category:(Applications,Shortcuts,Setup, Where To?)

Select Where To?> Select desired category. The name of the Category (i.e. Hospitals) and its icon will be added to the drawer at the end of all the other icons. Now you can move it wherever you want.

Yeah, you can put it directly into the Main Menu, I just think the majority of us would rather have these types of icons in the drawer.
Awesome. Thanks!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #6239
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:

Ah, now this makes sense. I can add Fuel Services directly to my Main Menu or Drawer this way. Awesome.

Must admit, I haven't looked at Setup/Main Menu as much as I should have... in fact I hardly remembered it was there. I guess I have the same affliction as Dan. Galloping Old Age.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #6240
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Hmm

I have been following this section with interest, especially as I just learned how to add a shortcut The Fuel search function would be nice for me too, and as my version is 4.60 I tried a few things.

It seems the FUEL 'where to' is available in a few places. I went to my single tap "Favourites' page and using the 'change favourites' button, then 'add favourite' the 'FUEL Services' was available, cool :)

I then went into Setup/Main Menu/Add and I could also select Fuel Services and out it in my drawer as well :)

And to answer the question raised above, yes I could select lodging, or hospitals or whatever I wanted in EITHER location, even though one of them has been selected before

Cheers
TS