ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #6316
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Good info. I use my voltmeter all winter riding the DR with the Gerbings. Does the Montana give you any data fields like we have on the 478 ?
Data Fields is Third Down on This Page. A pretty long list.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #6317
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
I was looking at the manuall this morning and I don't see a limit for the memory card listed. The Zumo is 16 GB max. Any limit on the Montana?
Gerg
32GB without issue, up to 64GB with some trickery....
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #6318
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,394
I bought my LED aux lights here and always thought this looked cool:



A $25 tiny 1.5" x .75" waterproof voltmeter from AdvMonster.com (sanjoh on Adv): LINKY

__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #6319
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
Dude, you have to have them both on the bike at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
And the problem is???
None whatsoever! I was recommending that he do so!
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #6320
Bill Murray
Adventurer
 
Bill Murray's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Screen is smaller than my 478, especially because of the buttons and data fields.
You can close and open the data fields. With the data fields being displayed, as shown below, look for the small chevron at the bottom of the data fields.


Pressing the chevron will hide the data fields. To re-display the data fields, press the chevron at the top of the screen.

__________________
Bill Murray
2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Me on Google+

Bill Murray screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 10:00 PM Reason: Enlarge the embedded images.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #6321
Cataract2
Where to?
 
Cataract2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: N. Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I bought my LED aux lights here and always thought this looked cool:



A $25 tiny 1.5" x .75" waterproof voltmeter from AdvMonster.com (sanjoh on Adv): LINKY

Got one of those. Works just as advertised. Although, in direct sunlight it washes out, otherwise no complaints.
__________________
People who get made because they're old, haven't lived.
Cataract2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #6322
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Got one of those. Works just as advertised. Although, in direct sunlight it washes out, otherwise no complaints.
Where was it someone posted they wanted a B+ Data Field and Garmin said they do not have the capability of reading Battery Voltage on the Montana?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #6323
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 45,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
You can close and open the data fields. With the data fields being displayed, as shown below, look for the small chevron at the bottom of the data fields.
Yeah, figured that one out quick. But those data fields in the corners were really handy, especially when they were transparent. Really helped maximize the screen.

I see on the wiki that it's been requested. Hope they come through with it.



Spent the day with it on the dash of the transport.

Day time colors suck, switched from auto to night mode. Much better. Any chance there's another color palette? Liked the other garmin color schemes.

Messed with menu setups. Nice to be able to.

On battery, it wore out in 4 hours. Not something that I'm likely to be bothered about, plugged into the bike is where it will live.


Need to mess with it more.
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #6324
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Need to mess with it more.
And Ill be lurking for your posts. But so far, the grip on my 478 has gotten tighter.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #6325
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Yeah, figured that one out quick. But those data fields in the corners were really handy, especially when they were transparent. Really helped maximize the screen.

I see on the wiki that it's been requested. Hope they come through with it.



Spent the day with it on the dash of the transport.

Day time colors suck, switched from auto to night mode. Much better. Any chance there's another color palette? Liked the other garmin color schemes.

Messed with menu setups. Nice to be able to.

On battery, it wore out in 4 hours. Not something that I'm likely to be bothered about, plugged into the bike is where it will live.


Need to mess with it more.
What daytime colors are you seeing, that you do not like? With which Maps?

Is Shaded Relief On or Off? [Setup | Map | Advanced | Shaded Relief]

Also, make sure [Setup | Marine | Marine Chart Mode] is set to OFF and check your map colors again.

BTW, you ran the Li-Ion battery dead in 4 hrs???
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #6326
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 45,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
What daytime colors are you seeing, that you do not like? With which Maps?
Almost white background. Latest City Nav
Quote:

Is Shaded Relief On or Off? [Setup | Map | Advanced | Shaded Relief]
Auto, I think. Have to check.

Quote:

Also, make sure [Setup | Marine | Marine Chart Mode] is set to OFF and check your map colors again.

BTW, you ran the Li-Ion battery dead in 4 hrs???
I'll check that marine chart.

And yes, followed the setup guide as per the wiki, full charge. Backlight was full on, as well. Ran it down to like 3%, then plugged it in.

But like I said: Not something that's gonna come up much. If ever.


Well, the 478 is sold. Guess I'm the pig now instead of the chicken in this breakfast.


For me, the perfect gps would be a 478 like case(with left side buttons), the screen from my wife's big nuvi, the programming from my 2610, with an SD card slot. That would be the ticket. Wish I knew enough to be able to make one.
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #6327
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Well, the 478 is sold. Guess I'm the pig now instead of the chicken in this breakfast.
I usually get blank stares when I use that analogy... But I use it anyway :)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #6328
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer
 
Rocky TFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Day time colors suck, switched from auto to night mode. Much better. Any chance there's another color palette?
There are several nice custom backgrounds available in the Dropbox, then you can play with the color scheme (Setup>Appearance). Search for "dropbox" a dozen pages back or so. I like the water and the knobby in the sand one. Good profiles and shortcuts in there too.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #6329
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 45,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
There are several nice custom backgrounds available in the Dropbox, then you can play with the color scheme (Setup>Appearance). Search for "dropbox" a dozen pages back or so. I like the water and the knobby in the sand one. Good profiles and shortcuts in there too.
Gonna track that down.
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #6330
eddyturn
Wannabe
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Hesperus, CO
Oddometer: 1,647
Dunno if it has been posted as somewhat late to this thread. Does the Montana have any capability for the XM weather? I use the GMX30 with my 478 and like to see the rain and snow. I suspect not but confirming with the experts on ADV rather than the "experts" at Garmin.
__________________
All things being equal... fat people use more soap
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014