ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #6376
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Setup -> System -> Interface -> Garmin Spanner

When you connect your Montana via USB, it will ask if you wish to enter Mass Storage Mode.

Select 'No'.
Learn something every day.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #6377
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,042
Anyone seen any smoking deal on a Montana 650 for today ?

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #6378
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,522
BergDonk don't forget to troubleshoot battery problems you can also try inserting AA batteries as an experiment. While 3 AA's put out 4.5-4.8volts, I'm a bit surprised at the voltage rating on the LithiumIon being so much lower than that?

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #6379
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
BergDonk don't forget to troubleshoot battery problems you can also try inserting AA batteries as an experiment. While 3 AA's put out 4.5-4.8volts, I'm a bit surprised at the voltage rating on the LithiumIon being so much lower than that?
As I noted above, it works fine with 3 AAs and as you point out, if they are in series as seems likely, then 4.5-4.8 V. USB is supposed to be 5 V +/- 0.25V, so that's what it gets when connected to the PC, and presumably the supplied mains charger which is labelled 5 V 1 A.

The labelling on my LiIon battery pack indicates 3.7 V, 2000 mAh, 7.4 Wh. I assume the Montana's actual operating voltage must be down around 3.3-3.5 V after regulation, assuming that 3.7 V is the correct LiIon spec for the Montana.

My LiIon battery measures 3.77 V across the 2 outer pins and other lesser voltages with other pin combinations. What I don't know is why it has 4 pins, and what the voltage across the various combinations of the 4 pins should be.

If someone could measure the voltage of pins. 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 3-4 for me that'd be really helpful in working out if its the battery or GPS. The pin nos I've arbitrarily assigned are if you remove the battery from the GPS, stand it on its end with the pin connections up, and on the left, and 1-4 are left to right.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #6380
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
They certainly are a very friendly and helpful bunch!

When you connect your Montana via USB, it will ask if you wish to enter Mass Storage Mode.

Select 'No'.

The Montana will finish booting as if it were not connected to the computer, and you can continue to use it as such. If you have nRoute installed, it will read location information in real time from your Montana.

Very last line of the Mass Storage page in the wiki.

I agree, get the battery issue resolved ASAP, then move on.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.
When I had it connected to the PC it offered no option re the connection. I'm used to this behaviour with my Magellan Explorist XL. But I will have to experiment more, maybe it depends on the connection and boot sequence. All I have done to date is have the PC booted, connect the Montana and then turn it on. It boots straight to USB mass strorage mode without the choice. Maybe a hot conection changes this? I guess I'll find out. Its no big deal if this is the way it is, just unexpected, because the 60CSX doesn't care, and of course, it seems I should have a choice.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #6381
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
When I had it connected to the PC it offered no option re the connection. I'm used to this behaviour with my Magellan Explorist XL. But I will have to experiment more, maybe it depends on the connection and boot sequence. All I have done to date is have the PC booted, connect the Montana and then turn it on. It boots straight to USB mass strorage mode without the choice. Maybe a hot conection changes this? I guess I'll find out. Its no big deal if this is the way it is, just unexpected, because the 60CSX doesn't care, and of course, it seems I should have a choice.
Third Line, same page.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #6382
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
When I had it connected to the PC it offered no option re the connection.
You have to go thru this sequence BEFORE you connect to the PC.

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #6383
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
As I noted above, it works fine with 3 AAs

My LiIon battery measures 3.77 V across the 2 outer pins and other lesser voltages with other pin combinations. What I don't know is why it has 4 pins, and what the voltage across the various combinations of the 4 pins should be.
See this similar thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...88775&page=389

If the GPS battery is anything like a cellphone battery, those center pins are for data, like state of charge, temperature, etc. If your Li measures 3.77 V across 1 and 4 it is fully charged. For some reason, that voltage is not getting into the Montana. If you were able to charge it via USB, that means that at least the battery to Montana to USB port connection is OK, meaning that the fault is internal.

Try one more thing before returning it. Whack the Li bat across the flat of your hand hard two or three times (just to show it whose boss ), insert it and THEN add two earplugs on top of it before closing the door.

You should be able to get the vendor to let you keep the (almost certainly) good battery for a spare for all your trouble.

BTW, after whacking it, if it now reads open between 1 and 4 you have found your problem unequivocably! Just don't let the vendor know about the jungle repair job.....
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #6384
ACP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Road names

Anyone know how to stop my Montana insisting on overlaying road names onto my map that I don't want to see?
This is using GB Discoverer 50k and not in Nuvi or navigation profile and I have my other maps disabled.

As far as I can see I have all the relevant settings off but it still pops them up on there

Setup Map > Advanced Setup >

Zoom Levels >
Map Points > Off
Street Label > Off
Land Cover > Off

Text Size >
Map Points > None
Street Label > Small (no off option)
Land Cover > None

Detail > Least

Apologies if this has been covered before but it's getting annoying now...

T.I.A, Andy :)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #6385
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Third Line, same page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
You have to go thru this sequence BEFORE you connect to the PC.

Done
Ta
Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #6386
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
See this similar thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...88775&page=389

If the GPS battery is anything like a cellphone battery, those center pins are for data, like state of charge, temperature, etc. If your Li measures 3.77 V across 1 and 4 it is fully charged. For some reason, that voltage is not getting into the Montana. If you were able to charge it via USB, that means that at least the battery to Montana to USB port connection is OK, meaning that the fault is internal.

Try one more thing before returning it. Whack the Li bat across the flat of your hand hard two or three times (just to show it whose boss ), insert it and THEN add two earplugs on top of it before closing the door.

You should be able to get the vendor to let you keep the (almost certainly) good battery for a spare for all your trouble.

BTW, after whacking it, if it now reads open between 1 and 4 you have found your problem unequivocably! Just don't let the vendor know about the jungle repair job.....
Seems like the same issue. I scrolled throught the subsequent pages and didn't find what eventually happened. No improvements when tapping the battery. Does seem like its an internal problem.

The vendor has come back to me and suggested I didn't charge the battery first as per the manual, even though I explained I did, so I'll have to work through that and see how it evolves.

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciated
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #6387
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Seems like the same issue. I scrolled throught the subsequent pages and didn't find what eventually happened. No improvements when tapping the battery. Does seem like its an internal problem.

The vendor has come back to me and suggested I didn't charge the battery first as per the manual, even though I explained I did, so I'll have to work through that and see how it evolves.

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciated
This is really a hassle.

You could call Garmin, and ask them to send you another battery, and see how that goes. If it fixes it, send them the old one back (if they request it).

If that does not fix it, you will have an extra battery for the replacement unit you get from the vendor or Garmin.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #6388
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Trying to get maps installed. Bought my 600 a month or so ago, bought CN 2013 DVD, bought a PNY micro SD card 32gb. Called Garmin this am. They walked me through installing CN, of course it needed updating. (1 hr) then downloaded mapinstall. Went thru the process of sending CN over to the Montana. When it completes (1hr 40min) I get the msg, it didn't transfer. I called Garmin. They are having me repeat the same exact process. The guy on the help line called a guy at the help desk for instructions. Now I'm sitting thru it again, making sure my laptop does not go into power saver or something. However, I have zero confidence it will turn out any different than the first time. 16% complete 1 hr 32 min remaining. It hasn't changed in a while... Argh!!
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #6389
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Trying to get maps installed. Bought my 600 a month or so ago, bought CN 2013 DVD, bought a PNY micro SD card 32gb. Called Garmin this am. They walked me through installing CN, of course it needed updating. (1 hr) then downloaded mapinstall. Went thru the process of sending CN over to the Montana. When it completes (1hr 40min) I get the msg, it didn't transfer. I called Garmin. They are having me repeat the same exact process. The guy on the help line called a guy at the help desk for instructions. Now I'm sitting thru it again, making sure my laptop does not go into power saver or something. However, I have zero confidence it will turn out any different than the first time. 16% complete 1 hr 32 min remaining. It hasn't changed in a while... Argh!!

You might just want to experiment with loading a small section of the map just to see if the SD card is compatible. Would save you a hell of a lot of time and aggravation.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #6390
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
OK... question I haven't seen answered directly before and search turned up too many needles in this huge haystack.

My good wife bought me a 650 and downloaded City Nav North America to it so it would be ready to go out of the box.

Now I can only access the detail in BaseCamp when the unit is plugged in, correct? I'd like to be able to use BaseCamp or rather google maps to create routes and send them to the unit without being tethered. Did that ship sail or is there a way I have missed?

Thanks!
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote