ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #6406
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
OK... question I haven't seen answered directly before and search turned up too many needles in this huge haystack.

My good wife bought me a 650 and downloaded City Nav North America to it so it would be ready to go out of the box.

Now I can only access the detail in BaseCamp when the unit is plugged in, correct? I'd like to be able to use BaseCamp or rather google maps to create routes and send them to the unit without being tethered. Did that ship sail or is there a way I have missed?

Thanks!
DOH! (Yes...)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #6407
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
OK... question I haven't seen answered directly before and search turned up too many needles in this huge haystack.

My good wife bought me a 650 and downloaded City Nav North America to it so it would be ready to go out of the box.

Now I can only access the detail in BaseCamp when the unit is plugged in, correct? I'd like to be able to use BaseCamp or rather google maps to create routes and send them to the unit without being tethered. Did that ship sail or is there a way I have missed?

Thanks!
If your CNNA was purchased as a DVD, it should also install on your PC so that it's available in BC without having the Montana attached. If CNNA was purchased as an SD card, then the rules are different.

I believe that downloaded CNNA updates are also viewable in BC without the unit attached; at least, that's been my experience.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #6408
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
DOH! (Yes...)

So I take it that I cannot use BaseCamp (with the level of detail I need) without the unit plugged in. I did read the page linked... and several hours worth of this thread. Fron the linked page for download: BaseCamp can be used for viewing downloaded detail on your computer.

I was hoping that I culd access it w/out being plugged in but I couldn't find a way to make it work. I don't want to pay for a DVD now that I already own the maps. Damn.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #6409
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
So I take it that I cannot use BaseCamp (with the level of detail I need) without the unit plugged in. I did read the page linked... and several hours worth of this thread. Fron the linked page for download: BaseCamp can be used for viewing downloaded detail on your computer.

I was hoping that I culd access it w/out being plugged in but I couldn't find a way to make it work. I don't want to pay for a DVD now that I already own the maps. Damn.
I have always gone the DVD route, for that very reason.

My understanding (the information on the wiki is taken directly from Garmin) is that you must have the GPSr with the downloaded maps connected to your computer before BaseCamp can be used to view the maps on the device..

If you find any different, from Garmin or your own research, please advise me!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #6410
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If you find any different, from Garmin or your own research, please advise me!
Just spoke with Garmin CS... no way to do enable detail w/out being tethered. He suggested that I download it again to a new uSD card and that didn't work either. Garmin doesn't recognize uSD as a compatible device.

I do want to Topo detail as well so I'll end up purchasing the Topo DVD and installing it on the computer... this will give me the detail I'm looking for in BaseCamp for the area that the Topo covers at least which will be 99% of my riding.

Thanks for the help... now onto managing the other million configurable options...
Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #6411
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Just spoke with Garmin CS... no way to do enable detail w/out being tethered. He suggested that I download it again to a new uSD card and that didn't work either. Garmin doesn't recognize uSD as a compatible device.

I do want to Topo detail as well so I'll end up purchasing the Topo DVD and installing it on the computer... this will give me the detail I'm looking for in BaseCamp for the area that the Topo covers at least which will be 99% of my riding.

Thanks for the help... now onto managing the other million configurable options...
You HAVE looked at the TOPO maps from GPSFileDepot, right?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #6412
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
You might try something like this...
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #6413
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You might try something like this...
Thanks... running Macs. Hadn't yet looked at GPSFileDepot - thanks for the tip.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #6414
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Thanks... running Macs. Hadn't yet looked at GPSFileDepot - thanks for the tip.
You should still be able to make a clone with your Mac... with slight tweaking of the process as explained.

FWIW, I almost exclusively use maps from GPSFileDepot.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #6415
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Trying to get maps installed. Bought my 600 a month or so ago, bought CN 2013 DVD, bought a PNY micro SD card 32gb. Called Garmin this am. They walked me through installing CN, of course it needed updating. (1 hr) then downloaded mapinstall. Went thru the process of sending CN over to the Montana. When it completes (1hr 40min) I get the msg, it didn't transfer. I called Garmin. They are having me repeat the same exact process. The guy on the help line called a guy at the help desk for instructions. Now I'm sitting thru it again, making sure my laptop does not go into power saver or something. However, I have zero confidence it will turn out any different than the first time. 16% complete 1 hr 32 min remaining. It hasn't changed in a while... Argh!!
Sounds like the same problems I was having.

Work around: Turn off unit. Remove SD card. Boot up, install CN. Once done, reboot and ensure it's there. THEN install SD, and add other map sets.

Response I had from Garmin:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

With the device in question, it will support up to a 16 GB card. Any card larger than 16 GB will probably not be seen by the device correctly. Please try a smaller card.
I had a 32. Sounds like yours, no?

Hope this helps, as I understand your frustration. All too well.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #6416
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

The Montana will support uSD cards up to 64GB.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #6417
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Use a card reader, it works & you don't have to have the Montana hooked via the USB. Once installed on the MicroSD reinstall in the Montana, check you map Enable/Disable for those you want visible. I do this with 32GB cards all the time.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #6418
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
Use a card reader, it works & you don't have to have the Montana hooked via the USB. Once installed on the MicroSD reinstall in the Montana, check you map Enable/Disable for those you want visible. I do this with 32GB cards all the time.
The write times are phenomenally faster in a uSD card reader also, as opposed to inside the Montana.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #6419
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
I finally (3 hours) got it loaded. I think it's on the SD card.
It seems ok for basic routing around town.
However, when I opened up basecamp, I received a error message regarding waypoint "recognition" I believe it said. I tried to load routes from map source into the Montana, and then open them and transfer them to basecamp.
Only half the routes I selected were on the Montana, and so far, none are showing up in basecamp. I'll call Garmin again tomorrow.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #6420
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I finally (3 hours) got it loaded. I think it's on the SD card.
It seems ok for basic routing around town.
However, when I opened up basecamp, I received a error message regarding waypoint "recognition" I believe it said. I tried to load routes from map source into the Montana, and then open them and transfer them to basecamp.
Only half the routes I selected were on the Montana, and so far, none are showing up in basecamp. I'll call Garmin again tomorrow.
Save each route, track, and waypoint individually, as GPX files, from MapSource to a folder on your HDD, then open BaseCamp and Import them individually.

atlas cached screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 04:12 PM