ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #6451
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Thanks for posting

Thanks to all ADV members posting.
For a noob with a Montana looking for basics,- lots of info to scan and collect. Those merging other tech into Montana drive Garmin crazy I'm sure, but there's no doubt it pushes the bar up on GPS technology.

I got a new Montana for Death Valley riding, GPS adds a new dimension to riding.

(somebody answer lefty)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #6452
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Regarding JaVaWa......

Regarding JaVaWa......

Other than the previously mentioned CleanEject, does anyone use any of the other JaVaWa tools in addition to JaVaWa Device Manager?

Jon...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #6453
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
When I finish creating a route for each state I'm crossing I convert it to a track-so I'll actually only be following a track in my gps while on the trip.. I still don't understand how I can finish creating this route in order to convert it in the end-has anyone tried this??

this is what's happening while trying to add in the purple dots as wp's to my existing route that has been following roads in basecamp[IMG][/IMG]

I really need some help with this
This might answer your question: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4075

Anyone know if the info in the link works in Windows version of Basecamp yet. I just got a Montana and am trying to get up to speed.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #6454
AugustFalcon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
What is CNNA? Is there a way that I can add Topo 2008 or google earth maps into my basecamp and still continue where I left off? Or will I need to start all over with something like google earth? I honestly wouldn't even know how to begin doing anything other than what I've been doing in basecamp. Any help how to direct me to get started?
Sorry for the jargon:

CNNA = City Nav North America

You can add Topo 2008 or one of the newer Topo versions which may be routable and you should be able to easily continue from where you left off.

As for the Google Maps they are only viewable online in Google Earth. You can however have BaseCamp show your route or track or a specific area. In the Mac version you simply select the route, track or other item and right click on it to bring up the context menu and then select view in Google Earth.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #6455
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
You can add Topo 2008 or one of the newer Topo versions which may be routable and you should be able to easily continue from where you left off.
Is that a free map that can be added to basecamp to show more roads,or do I need to buy a map from Garmin,add it to BC so I can see all the roads? Sorry for the simple questions,I just not computer orientated,and as it stands I'm stressed and at my limit trying to figure this bloddy thing out
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #6456
leftystrat62
Adventurer

[QUOTE=joefromsf;20358071]This might answer your question: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4075
[/QUOTE

Next is me using the track tool as suggested in Direct mode so as to add in the wp's that are off road[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Now when I try to add those purple wp's into the box where you drop all the wp's to create the route I get this?? It ended up following the highway as well ass the off road..[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Lastly, I tried not adding the purple wp's in to the box, but added wp # 61(red rectangle) which is on a road. I'd hoped that would maybe join everything together like one big happy family-but no
I'm sure this is some simple stuff for many of you guys,but man this is really starting to bum me out

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 10:21 AM
Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #6457
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
Not sure if this helps but might answer your question about the topos showing more info than CNNA.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838762

The 2012 topos are now routable but appear to show less info than the older versions, all of which need to be purchased.
There are free topos available at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/, some of which are very good and you can load these into Basecamp and the Montana as needed.

It really depends on the area....some of the maps are better, some aren't. Google and Mapquest have great maps but you'll have to convert your routes created in these to get them into Basecamp.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #6458
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,777
Quote:
I'm sure this is some simple stuff for many of you guys,but man this is really starting to bum me out
It's simple in Mapsource, but I gave up trying to do it in Windows Basecamp.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #6459
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Any Mac/Montana users out there still going through the problem of ejecting the Montana safely after it was connected to your computer?

This helps: JaVaWa Clean Eject

Here's a bit of information from the site:

"Note: some devices (like the Garmin Montana) automatically reconnect after ejecting. You can prevent this by letting CleanEject not to eject the device, but to de-activate it instead. It somewhat the same thing: the volume is closed so that file corruption cannot occur; the difference is that the device will not be switched off.

This can be accomplished by putting a text file with the name unmountme.txt in the root folder of the device. When you have a Garmin Montana it is sufficient to place this file on the SD card only."
Heh, I just yank the cable out as soon as I see the drive icons disappear off my desktop and my Mac never complains.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #6460
Jerry3567
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hey guys,

I must be stupid or something, I've looked around a bit but have had no luck answering my question. Please help, or tell me to piss off if I just haven't searched enough.

I am using google Earth to enter all of the TAT points off of my roll chart ( I just finished TN ). When I save the .kml file and convert to a .gpx, to load a track it works...that is fine I suppose. BUT, the track travels from point to point, and does not follow roads. I converted the track to a route, and then back without success. How do I make the path I must follow take roads as opposed to straight lines?

Thanks for your help!
Jerry3567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #6461
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Not sure if this helps but might answer your question about the topos showing more info than CNNA.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838762

The 2012 topos are now routable but appear to show less info than the older versions, all of which need to be purchased.
There are free topos available at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/, some of which are very good and you can load these into Basecamp and the Montana as needed.

It really depends on the area....some of the maps are better, some aren't. Google and Mapquest have great maps but you'll have to convert your routes created in these to get them into Basecamp.
So I checked out that thread,and if I understand it correct-CNNA is what I have (which I confirmed when I checked "maps" in my BC) in my basecamp(BC). That will only show me so many roads. If I want to see more roads in BC when mapping out a route then I can buy Garmins 24 or 100k dvd's which will only allow me to use them in bc while making a route or track. I can also buy the sd card but will need to plug in my gps in order to see the extra roads-is that correct?
I did wonder about that the other day,so I plugged in my montana which came with the 100k map,but when I plugged it into my MAC while in BC I didn't see any of those roads I was looking for (that I could see in my paper map). Does that mean I'd need to buy the 24k maps in hopes to find those roads? Also does that mean that when I get to that area of UT, I'll need the 24k sd card in my montana in order to see those roads?

This aint easy
Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #6462
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Does that mean I'd need to buy the 24k maps in hopes to find those roads? Also does that mean that when I get to that area of UT, I'll need the 24k sd card in my montana in order to see those roads?

This aint easy
The TOPO 24K maps have more roads than CNNA, but not all of the TAT. For example, they don't have that section your struggling with right now. I also prefer to follow routes instead of tracks so am interested in your quest to set up mixed direct and road routing routes. I didn't have a Montana last year so didn't have that option, but I think it can be done.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)

joefromsf screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 11:29 AM
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #6463
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Heh, I just yank the cable out as soon as I see the drive icons disappear off my desktop and my Mac never complains.
As long as your timing is right, it sort of works to do that but that does nothing about all the empty and useless directories which get left behind. I used to use your method but I'm glad a better solution now exists.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #6464
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Wow

Very interesting thread, I think Christmas money is going to assist buying me one of these, hopefully I will be able to comprehend its use by the time I get it.
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #6465
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Lefty, same with the PC.

As long as Montana is plugged in I get to see 100K on BC- pull the plug and it only retains global maps. I'm thinking I'd rather have the SD 24K on board the GPS vs the CD which plays primary on the PC.