ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 225 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #6691
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Besides, when it's this cold, what else can you do but plug in the block heater, battery charger and log on? (The fire)
Yea, I was going riding today but it is raining, what a bummer. Rain should quit tonight leaving nice dmp sand for my 3-day Hi Desert 250 ride this weekend.

http://www.dualsportwest.com/public/...rs/13%20hd.pdf

Or you could just throw another log n the fire and dream about riding.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #6692
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I kinda think it's not that accurate. It seems to always read warmer then it really is. Yesterday I saw it hit 66 and I was still running my electric vest so I kinda doubt it got that warm. I keep it in my tank bag and maybe it does stay warmer in there then the ambient temp but even now it's out in my garage and it says the temp is 50 but according to the thermometer I've got in there it's only 41.
I put mine in the freezer and within minutes it was reporting the exact same temperature as the thermometer inside the freezer....

I have no issues with the reported temperature from my Tempe.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #6693
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I put mine in the freezer and within minutes it was reporting the exact same temperature as the thermometer inside the freezer....

I have no issues with the reported temperature from my Tempe.
This is my 2nd one. The first one seemed just as inaccurate.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #6694
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
This is my 2nd one. The first one seemed just as inaccurate.
Which versions do you have?

With or Without the white triangle above DynaStream?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #6695
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Which versions do you have?

With or Without the white triangle above DynaStream?

The one with the triangle.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #6696
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Both of them?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #6697
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

I now have experience similar to, and can sympathize with TravellingStrom:

I recently embarked on a 1600 mile trip.

Before the trip, I planned several potential routes in BaseCamp from Start to Finish, each taking slightly different paths. I saved each route in BaseCamp, appending the route name with "v1", "v2", "v3", etc...

To create the routes, I used a Start waypoint, Finish waypoint, and multiple waypoints between to direct each version of the route as desired.

Once complete, I sent these routes from BaseCamp to my Montana 650 and nuvi 3790. I rebooted each device and checked them to make sure the routes were available.

I used CityNav 2013.3 in BaseCamp to create each route, and have CityNav 2013.3 loaded on each GPSr.

We were traveling in two vehicles, the Montana in one and the 3790 in the other. On each device, 'Where To?' > 'Route' > 'Route XXX' was selected.

On multiple occasions, the Montana and nuvi would NOT agree on which exits or roads to take, creating confusion for both drivers. When we stopped for fuel or breaks, I would compare the units to ensure identical settings were enabled (they were), and yet the two Garmin GPSr units with identical settings, identical routes, and identical maps could NOT AGREE on where to direct the user.

There is nothing more I could have done on my end to give two users identical instructions for the trip, and yet the Garmin GPSr devices refused to comply.

Also, I was certain a recent BaseCamp update addressed user complaints that after sending multiple routes to their GPSr, they would have duplicate waypoints on the device for each route. And yet, I found my Start and Finish waypoints listed in Waypoint Manager nearly a dozen times. After deleting all loaded routes, the duplicate waypoints were still all present on the device. They were sent from BaseCamp as part of the route, why are they not removed when the routes are removed?

Also, while likely not a BaseCamp issue (but who can be sure?), after stopping mid way through the trip to sleep, and restarting my Montana 650, and selecting the same route to continue navigation, the Montana 650 refused to route me from my current location in the route to the destination, but rather demanded I return to the Start waypoint, nearly 800 miles behind me, making the routes created in sent from BaseCamp again useless.

I had to recreate new routes on each device (Montana 650, nuvi 3790) while eating breakfast. Interestingly, each device functioned flawlessly from that point forward.

The only common link between the horribly malfunctioning routes is BaseCamp.

I have to tell you, I was, at one point, fantasizing about throwing both GPSr units out the window at 70mph, and never looking back.

I expect MUCH MORE from a company like Garmin. Thier hardware is world class, but their software continues to be sub-par, at best. I know they have the talent, why are they not applying it?

/rant

atlas cached screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 11:49 AM
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #6698
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Without using two Montana's I don't think you can assume the routing should be the same.

Also when I've had the issue of the unit sending me back to the start it quickly realizes once you start down the road where you are on the route and continues from there.

This is why I always convert tracks to overlay over the route.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #6699
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Without using two Montana's I don't think you can assume the routing should be the same.
The route was created in BaseCamp, with very specific path. Why would it change on the GPSr? I sent the specific route I created to my GPSr, should not the GPSr follow the route exactly as created, so long as the maps are identical in BaseCamp and the GPSr (they were)?

Quote:
Also when I've had the issue of the unit sending me back to the start it quickly realizes once you start down the road where you are on the route and continues from there.
Maybe next time I'll try that. Only the Montana 650 exhibited this behavior. The nuvi asked which waypoint in the route I wanted to navigate to next. Of course, the ETA afterwards was displayed for the next waypoint instead of the final destination.

Quote:
This is why I always convert tracks to overlay over the route.
I also had these, but they do not give turn by turn information, which I wanted the other drivers to have.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #6700
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

I've never been confident that the route created in Basecamp is going to be 100% in the GPS regardless of how many waypoints are in there.

True the track doesn't give turn by turn, BUT you can see if you deviate from your proposed route. I used a thick magenta line for the route with a thin black line for the track. It's VERY obvious when the two part ways. At that point just follow the track and the route recalculates and is back on top the track in no time. Using this method you still get turn by turn but you can also navigate your intended route.
IBA #33260
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #6701
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Below is an example of what I'm talking about regarding tracks overlayed on routes.

On the left you can see the route (magenta) follows the track as I planned.

On the right you can see that the route deviates from the track but because I have one laid over the other I can continue on my way and wait for the route to rejigger itself back to the track.

IBA #33260
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #6702
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Below is an example of what I'm talking about regarding tracks overlayed on routes.

On the left you can see the route (magenta) follows the track as I planned.

On the right you can see that the route deviates from the track but because I have one laid over the other I can continue on my way and wait for the route to rejigger itself back to the track.

Excellent illustration! Thank you for taking the time to share your solution.

I do still wish Garmin could be more consistent with their software. Not much point in making a route on my PC to send to my GPSr if I can not trust the GPSr will follow the route, which is exactly what a route is supposed to do.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #6703
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Here's where I place my earplug:

I am a little confuse why we have to hack hardware to have it work correctly if we pay all that big $$$ for the Montana. I know the Montana can do a lot and I really like mine but come on, really? What's up with the hardware. GPS switching off, Rugged mount security screw screwed, etc...

Don't mind me. I am just having a bad day and want to bitch a little...

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #6704
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
I do still wish Garmin could be more consistent with their software. Not much point in making a route on my PC to send to my GPSr if I can not trust the GPSr will follow the route, which is exactly what a route is supposed to do.
I agree.......it should just work.

I understand sharing routes between different gps devices in the past has been questionable but it should not be that way anymore.....within reason......especially from the same manufacture. Having to make tracks of routes to make sure you stay on the route you wanted seems like a step back in time.

Jon...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #6705
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Both of them?
Just the 2nd one as far as I know, don't have the first one anymore.