ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #6721
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
The route was created in BaseCamp, with very specific path. Why would it change on the GPSr? I sent the specific route I created to my GPSr, should not the GPSr follow the route exactly as created, so long as the maps are identical in BaseCamp and the GPSr (they were)?
Well, very few Garmin units will follow a route created in BS/MS that the unit does not go ahead and automatically recalculate on it's own. The Montana is one of those few units. I'm betting the Nuvi on the other hand isn't. Your Montana was probably following the route you created correctly. The Nuvi, probably recalculated the route and changed it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #6722
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
I am a little confuse why we have to hack hardware to have it work correctly if we pay all that big $$$ for the Montana. I know the Montana can do a lot and I really like mine but come on, really? What's up with the hardware. GPS switching off, Rugged mount security screw screwed, etc...

Don't mind me. I am just having a bad day and want to bitch a little...
Well, both Garmins hardware and software are mediocre at best, but unfortunately for us, it's the best thing out there.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #6723
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Well, very few Garmin units will follow a route created in BS/MS that the unit does not go ahead and automatically recalculate on it's own. The Montana is one of those few units. I'm betting the Nuvi on the other hand isn't. Your Montana was probably following the route you created correctly. The Nuvi, probably recalculated the route and changed it.
Absolutely correct! The nuvi did not follow the route as originally created.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #6724
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Well, both Garmins hardware and software are mediocre at best, but unfortunately for us, it's the best thing out there.
Unfortunately, you are (again) absolutely correct.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #6725
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Absolutely correct! The nuvi did not follow the route as originally created.
This is good info to know and is encouraging.

Jon...
Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #6726
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
@Atlascached. Sorry to hear your dramas but I am glad it is not just me having issues

One of the complaints that have not been addressed by Garmin is the "truncated route". Why it cannot install a complete route over 650km is beyond me :(

It is not as if the amount of roads here in SEA are over the top either

And, this particular unit, my third, very nearly crashed the other day. By that I mean it froze a few times while navigating Bangkok, the largest city it has been in since I got this replacement. I very nearly had to do a master reset but I got away with it. I was on major roads with only a few tall buildings so there should have been no reason to lock up

But, at least I have a GPS, it was a pain without it

Cheers from Siem Reap
Travellingstrom
Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #6727
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
@Atlascached. Sorry to hear your dramas but I am glad it is not just me having issues

One of the complaints that have not been addressed by Garmin is the "truncated route". Why it cannot install a complete route over 650km is beyond me :(

And, this particular unit, my third, very nearly crashed the other day. By that I mean it froze a few times while navigating Bangkok, the largest city it has been in since I got this replacement. I very nearly had to do a master reset but I got away with it. I was on major roads with only a few tall buildings so there should have been no reason to lock up

But, at least I have a GPS, it was a pain without it

Cheers from Siem Reap
Travellingstrom
Wow, haven't done any long route planning on the 650 yet, still using my Zumo for that. Didn't realize there was a length limit. It's bad enough dealing with the shitty 50 via point limit on the damn thing that I can easily hit on a short 150 mile route. A buddy sent me a route for todays ride that has 55 via points so I either have to redo the route and trim it down to 50 or just convert it to track. Since I'm not leading I'll just covert it to a track.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #6728
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Wow, haven't done any long route planning on the 650 yet, still using my Zumo for that. Didn't realize there was a length limit. It's bad enough dealing with the shitty 50 via point limit on the damn thing that I can easily hit on a short 150 mile route. A buddy sent me a route for todays ride that has 55 via points so I either have to redo the route and trim it down to 50 or just convert it to track. Since I'm not leading I'll just covert it to a track.
One of my friends with a new Zumo 660 has the same issue where it will only route a certain distance and when you get there it will route the rest. Must be the new CN maps?

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #6729
cropear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
English is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
I think it might be more user error on my part. AAAAAUUUUGH!!!

Under "External Power Only" in "Set Mount Profiles," the selection was "Last Used." I changed it to "No Change." I am guessing the change happened when I plugged it in to update the maps.

Can we get a "No Change" selection on all the features of this thing?
English Is Hard
cropear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #6730
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Question

Quote:

I'm confuse as to why that would happen. I just created a route that was just under 2,800 miles (4506.16 km), loaded it on my Montana 650 from BaseCamp, and it shows the full route on the Montana when I bring it up on the map screen.

Montana 650 (Firmware: 4.60)
CNNA 2012.40
BaseCamp: 4.1.0 (Mac version)
Default automotive mode

I did notice that the Montana was slow drawing the route on the map but it did complete after about 15 +/- seconds. I did not hit the "GO" button to start the route but I don't see why it would not have worked.

What am I missing that is causing you, or anyone else, to be limited to 650 km?

Jon...
Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 AM   #6731
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I'm confuse as to why that would happen. I just created a route that was just under 2,800 miles (4506.16 km), loaded it on my Montana 650 from BaseCamp, and it shows the full route on the Montana when I bring it up on the map screen.

Montana 650 (Firmware: 4.60)
CNNA 2012.40
BaseCamp: 4.1.0 (Mac version)
Default automotive mode

I did notice that the Montana was slow drawing the route on the map but it did complete after about 15 +/- seconds. I did not hit the "GO" button to start the route but I don't see why it would not have worked.

What am I missing that is causing you, or anyone else, to be limited to 650 km?

Jon...
Ahhhhh, yes it looks good when you start and there is NOTHING to show that it won't work until you start riding. The routing all works until a certain but unknown point then suddenly at the top of the screen it shows truncated route

I am mostly doing short legs over here so did not notice this issue. But, once I land back in Oz I will have to do a long, maybe 4,000km route back home so I may be able to narrow it down then
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #6732
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Ahhhhh, yes it looks good when you start and there is NOTHING to show that it won't work until you start riding. The routing all works until a certain but unknown point then suddenly at the top of the screen it shows truncated route

I am mostly doing short legs over here so did not notice this issue. But, once I land back in Oz I will have to do a long, maybe 4,000km route back home so I may be able to narrow it down then
Has anyone raised this truncation issue to Garmin customer support? Does this happen on other units?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #6733
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Very interesting.......thanks for the clarification.

Jon...
Old 01-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #6734
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,347
Found a weird glitch, maybe emmbeedee can duplicate it.

Was east bound on the 417 out of Renfrew heading to Alexandria. So, 417E through Ottawa. Used to a Garmin giving directions to stay on 417 @ 416, and on 417 at the split.

It did that. But it also had me jumping off at Metcalfe, then back on.

Next time you're through there Mike, see what yours does.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #6735
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Found a weird glitch, maybe emmbeedee can duplicate it.

Was east bound on the 417 out of Renfrew heading to Alexandria. So, 417E through Ottawa. Used to a Garmin giving directions to stay on 417 @ 416, and on 417 at the split.

It did that. But it also had me jumping off at Metcalfe, then back on.

Next time you're through there Mike, see what yours does.
Which map? Likely City Nav? Were you using Shorter Distance or Faster Time in your routing option?

I have to go through there on Tuesday so I'll give it a try.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote