ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 248 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #6856
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
(http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupda...MountDetection) for more information.

Fixed issue with trip odometer where distance between two tracks would be incorrectly added to the total distance.
This I think is #28 in http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Common+Issues & I did a test this morning & got a 10Klm difference.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #6857
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Holy mackerel, I had no idea you would have to be a rocket surgeon to make a line and have the gps follow it. I haven't tried to make a route on basecamp yet, and I don't have the montana on the bike yet, but are y'all saying if I click on route more than 50 times making the route I won't be able to see anything past that 50th click? I just want it to take me the way I say to go, don't need little hamburgers, flags, tents, and gas pumps showing up.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #6858
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
This I think is #28 in http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Common+Issues & I did a test this morning & got a 10Klm difference.
So, not resolved?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #6859
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
Ok I have a rugged mount that won't lock. The locking screw won't catch.
I ordered a few months ago from GPS City (I think) I bought two, put the 1st one on bike #1 it's fine. I checked it first because I'd heard there was a potential problem. Well today was nice, so I went ahead a put the 2nd one on bike #2. I didn't check it first. Got it wired, pulled wires under the tank etc. put the Montana in the holder, it powered up fine, but the screw won't lock.
I can't remember the fix. Would someone mind directing me to the proper page? I'm search challenged.
Thanks
Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #6860
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
Holy mackerel, I had no idea you would have to be a rocket surgeon to make a line and have the gps follow it. I haven't tried to make a route on basecamp yet, and I don't have the montana on the bike yet, but are y'all saying if I click on route more than 50 times making the route I won't be able to see anything past that 50th click? I just want it to take me the way I say to go, don't need little hamburgers, flags, tents, and gas pumps showing up.
Fuggeddabout CNNA, get any non-routable topo map, set your routing activity for your favorite profile to Direct, and you will never have any of these issues.
You also will not get turn by turn directions, just the heading to the next point.

That's the way I have used GPS's for 20 years and still do because I refuse to use auto-routing in the backcountry. In a strange city, though, I love CNNA, and I rarely use more than half a dozen via points. So I have CNNA and a dozen or so topo maps from the old standby 1998 Topo USA 100K to the free 24K state topos available from GPS Depot.com. I use two basic profiles, one to autoroute with CNNA and one to use just the 100K Topo maps. Which particular 24K topo map I use in that profile is not chosen until I need it, and then later I reset that profile to the 100K.

Spend some time on the Montana and the BaseCamp Wiki site; these things are very sophisticated, but once you figure out what it is YOU want to do with it, you can ignore a lot of it......that is, ONCE you have made the right choices....

So, you didn't think you were going to need the equivalent of a 2 year college course in Garmin GPS trivia?

Sorry..
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #6861
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Ok I have a rugged mount that won't lock. The locking screw won't catch.
I ordered a few months ago from GPS City (I think) I bought two, put the 1st one on bike #1 it's fine. I checked it first because I'd heard there was a potential problem. Well today was nice, so I went ahead a put the 2nd one on bike #2. I didn't check it first. Got it wired, pulled wires under the tank etc. put the Montana in the holder, it powered up fine, but the screw won't lock.
I can't remember the fix. Would someone mind directing me to the proper page? I'm search challenged.
Thanks,
Jeff
Look here Jeff...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=19
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #6862
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bli55 View Post
Guys, am I missing something here?

Do we go through the trouble of making routes that don't exceed in length, that don't recalculate by themselves, that don't do something stupid etc etc, that is, over converting them to perfectly defined tracks, for the sole benefit of an elecronic woman to tell us which way to turn?
Yup, that about exactly defines it!

But I do love that Aussie girl late at night in a strange city after 10 hours on the road.....
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #6863
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Mine doesn't.

That is strange, what version software are you using?

During this ride, the road it expected to be there was not quite there, it was actually over there a bit. So, after bypassing the small village, I got back onto the expected road again. During this time I got a Route Calculation Error and clicked on OK, and was then back on the map screen, riding on a road, no route active.

Once I was back on the road, I used the 3bar menu and selected resume Navigation.

This is using a multi image map in South East Asia. I get many many Route Calculation Errors here as some of the roads have been built since the map was made and updated, and others are not quite classified as roads :)

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #6864
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Mark,
Thanks, but this is the replacement solution for the guys that want to get away from the torx screw.
I'm fine with it. I suspect it provides a bit more security than a quick release screw.
Is there a way to just fix the locking mechanism that's already there, and not have to pull the screw? I've got the wiring run beneath the tank etc. I do t want to have to take it off.

Ha!! I called Garmin, they told me to just squeeze the top and bottom and the screw should catch.. I'll give it a try. Duh..
Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)

MizzouRider screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 10:14 AM
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #6865
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
More testing at home:
Opened BaseCamp, set activity to Automobile Driving and map to CNNA.
Created route with 202 points and 103 via points and sent it to Montana
On Montana, set profile to Topo (Topo USA and route activity to Direct)
Upon GO, Montana shows route with 103 points, no limits.
I brought up too many subjects at once I suppose. I was trying to understand Via Points vs. Shaping Points to see if I was in agreement on their *definitions* first. Then I added the question regarding Via Points vs. Points (total) as displayed in Basecamp and that is completely different and not directly relevant to the Montana in a way.

IMHO in your example, you CREATED a route and you controlled the selection of 103 Via Points (some or all may actually be Shaping Points but that is not part of your example here)... So in my mind those 103 Via Points are an INPUT to the routing algorithm (mechanism) in Basecamp.

Then what I think Basecamp is showing is that because you then had Basecamp autoroute it (because you selected Automobile activity and not Direct activity), BaseCamp looked at your map data in CNNA and added extra "hidden" points to complete the route. These do not show up in your route Property tab yet now the total "Points" is 202.

But the "Points" being 202 is only an OUTPUT in Basecamp, it is not really relevant because the Montana is going to do its own Routing algorithm and that is based on your INPUT which was 103 Via Points only, so the Montana may route exactly the same and end up with 202 identical points or not (this has been debated a lot, I think some have posted Garmin as saying Basecamp has its algorithm and the firmware in GPSr's have their own but for the Montana a later FW release updated the Montana algorithm to "match" the Basecamp's (or maybe close?) - separate topic!).

Then when you went to the Montana with your Route with 103 Via Points, the Montana will behave differently based on the mapset you use and the Activity you had set for it to use for Routing.

In your example, my claim is that it doesn't matter if you used CNNA or Topo USA (which may be a non-routable map?) because the key is that you set the Activity for Routing to be DIRECT. So if you set it to Direct then it isn't trying to autoroute so it is happy with the 103 Via Points (and the reported 202 "Points" displayed in Basecamp is irrelevant and confusing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
SO, it seems to be the routing activity in route setup on the unit that is the controlling factor, not the map itself.

Also, I believe that if you set the routing activity to Direct, no matter what map is enabled, you WILL NOT get turn by turn directions....(fairly well understood behavior).
I agree.

MY CONCLUSION: is that if you pick Direct on the Montana then that overrides everything as the Montana is then NOT even trying to autoroute and does not have the 50 Via Points MAX constraint we have been discussing. So it doesn't care about the map that just "happens to be displayed" below the 50 Via Points because it does not use the map to pull internal data from it on where roads are for turning, because you are not autorouting at all in Direct!

p.s. All of my earlier questions were NOT using Direct as the Routing Activity on the Montana as I don't find that interesting - the goal is to use autorouting on the Montana and that is what I am trying to figure out. I view using Direct on the Montana as a workaround because users are having trouble understanding the ins and outs of autorouting, which is what we really want.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #6866
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Mark,
Thanks, but this is the replacement solution for the guys that want to get away from the torx screw.
I'm fine with it. I suspect it provides a bit more security than a quick release screw.
Is there a way to just fix the locking mechanism that's already there, and not have to pull the screw? I've got the wiring run beneath the tank etc. I do t want to have to take it off.

Ha!! I called Garmin, they told me to just squeeze the top and bottom and the screw should catch.. I'll give it a try. Duh..
Jeff
That's what I'd try too - making sure the Montana is completely in the mount, then pushing the clamp together.

If it happens that you have to change the screw, I'm sure you could put a slightly longer screw into it without having to take the mount off the bike.

If you need a replacement from Garmin, ask them to send you one ahead of time and use yours the way it is for now. It's best to use the locking screw but the mount works just as well without it, except it's not locked. I often don't lock mine so I can take the unit off and get pictures with it.

It's never come even close to falling off when it's not locked. But don't forget to put a lanyard on it anyway, of course.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #6867
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It's never come even close to falling off when it's not locked. But don't forget to put a lanyard on it anyway, of course.
+1

I have run mine over nasty bumpy terrain, jumps, etc., without the locking screw engaged. Never any movement.

I do, however, use a quick-release lanyard as a fail-safe.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #6868
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
What are you guy liking for lanyards?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #6869
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What are you guy liking for lanyards?
Doesn't need to be anything special. I have a small carabiner on the end of mine and loop it around something solid like a mirror stalk then clip the 'biner back to the lanyard.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #6870
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Nice to know I wasn't just seeing things.

Thanks Mike.

Is that latest citynav too?
Garmin's response:

Greetings,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It should be corrected in the near future.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you find any additional issues.

Happy Exploring,

Joshua

Joshua M. || Cartography Administrator
Garmin International || Olathe, KS USA