ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #7036
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Congrats TS

I have not tried the GeoCache stuff but the one you did looked complicated and rewarding at the same time.

Jon...
Thanks Jon

It was fun and interesting

As a solo rider, without the need to consult with anybody, Geocaching takes me to some great places :)
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #7037
FreeTheBeast
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,917
Question Need some learnin'

I've got the mini SD card (4GB). How do I back up what's on my Montana's internal memory to the card? Is it an easy maneuver within BaseCamp?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Ditto.

I keep a spare taped to my Montana battery.

At an annual rally last year one of the guys who'd come up to Canada from Vermont didn't have maps for this area in his Montana so I traded my spare card for his empty one and bingo, he had all the maps he needed.

OSM maps, of course... so no copyright violation.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #7038
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
I've got the mini SD card (4GB). How do I back up what's on my Montana's internal memory to the card? Is it an easy maneuver within BaseCamp?

Thanks.
No no. Back up the Montana to your computer, not the Micro SD card.

Just copy everything, files and directory structure on the Montana to a folder using the Mac Finder.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #7039
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
changing route colors

OK guys after 6 years of offroading and DS riding with my 60 CSX I've upgraded to the 650t to assist my eyes.

Couple Q's for you all.

First off the screen is a lovely size increase. However all is not peaches and cream as I cannot seem to find a way to change my route color to something that I can visually see very well. The route pink color is not distinctive enough to clearly see on the screen in my living room so I will never see it bouncing down the trail on the bike. Is there any way I can change the route color? I can find track color change options but not route color. Its a feature on the 60 CSX but I've yet to find where its buried on the Montana and I've looked everywhere on the menu? Prey tell, how do I change the route color?

If for some reason that feature is not on the Montana what is the best set-up for clear viewing of routes, tracks, etc. in terms of color and screen set-up that people found works the best on this unit?

Is there also a way to increase the displayed width of the routes and tracks on the unit?

I ride primarily offroad and am curious if this units bulk is stable in the Ram arm/ball system or should I mount the Rugged mount directly to the handlebars to reduce the units leverage on the mount?

Thanks in advance.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #7040
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Your best get is to create a track from the route and have that displayed as well. You can change the track colour to suit your eyes
Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #7041
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
OK guys after 6 years of offroading and DS riding with my 60 CSX I've upgraded to the 650t to assist my eyes.

Couple Q's for you all.

First off the screen is a lovely size increase. However all is not peaches and cream as I cannot seem to find a way to change my route color to something that I can visually see very well. The route pink color is not distinctive enough to clearly see on the screen in my living room so I will never see it bouncing down the trail on the bike. Is there any way I can change the route color? I can find track color change options but not route color. Its a feature on the 60 CSX but I've yet to find where its buried on the Montana and I've looked everywhere on the menu? Prey tell, how do I change the route color?

If for some reason that feature is not on the Montana what is the best set-up for clear viewing of routes, tracks, etc. in terms of color and screen set-up that people found works the best on this unit?

Is there also a way to increase the displayed width of the routes and tracks on the unit?

I ride primarily offroad and am curious if this units bulk is stable in the Ram arm/ball system or should I mount the Rugged mount directly to the handlebars to reduce the units leverage on the mount?

Thanks in advance.
Set the route color in BaseCamp, not on the Montana.

(On a PC)
With BaseCamp open, click on the route name in your list folder. Then, down at the bottom left, you'll see the route name with an icon next to it of three little green boxes connected with lines. Double-click this route name and a dialog box of route properties will open. On the Properties tab, look on the fer upper right corner, and you will find a drop-down menu for selecting the color of the route.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #7042
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
And it's not pink....it's magenta.

With a black track overlaid on it it's quite visible.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #7043
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
This is from the Garmin Factory outlet store. I don't know how often they have sales but check these out:

http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/deta...ana-600-R.html

http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/deta...ana-600-R.html
I sure as hell wouldn't buy any accessories from that place. $44 for a Tempe?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #7044
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Your best get is to create a track from the route and have that displayed as well. You can change the track colour to suit your eyes
Thanks Richard will check out how to do that.

Also want to say thanks to you for a presentation with some personality at the HU meeting in Thailand. Good shit. Sorry the Bokor mountain road in Cambodia you got was paved. Back a few years it was good fun

Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #7045
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Set the route color in BaseCamp, not on the Montana.

(On a PC)
With BaseCamp open, click on the route name in your list folder. Then, down at the bottom left, you'll see the route name with an icon next to it of three little green boxes connected with lines. Double-click this route name and a dialog box of route properties will open. On the Properties tab, look on the fer upper right corner, and you will find a drop-down menu for selecting the color of the route.

Thank you heaps for the post with directions how to complete the task. Damn now have to download Basecamp and learn that as well. Off to study now. Again a huge thanks for the directions.

I'm surprised with all the firmware updates that choosing a route color has not been added as it seems such a benefit. Also while I can accomplish the color change when doing tracks in advance on the computer, in reality a lot of new routing will take place on the bike going to unplanned locations.

Another query. I used my GPS trip odometer to log mileage covered between fuel stops. When filling up I reset the Trip odo to give me calculations on my range when riding in the bush. I have only found where I can reset all the trip computer data at once on the Montana but not one field individually. Is this true of the Montana or have I overlooked something?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #7046
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
And it's not pink....it's magenta.

With a black track overlaid on it it's quite visible.
Haha cuz the route is so tiny on my screen I can barely make out if its pink, red, or magenta.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #7047
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Set the route color in BaseCamp, not on the Montana..
I assume that this is new feature in Basecamp and is not available in Mapsource?

Will the color bits download to others like 60/76 & 62/78? or do they truncate?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #7048
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I assume that this is new feature in Basecamp and is not available in Mapsource?

Will the color bits download to others like 60/76 & 62/78? or do they truncate?
No, MapSource lets you set the route colors, too.

I cannot answer your second question.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #7049
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,722
To FireDog45

I saw you posted this earlier:

---Quote (Originally by Emmbeedee)---
At the bottom of the page: "Disclaimer: Factoryoutletstore.com is not affiliated with Garmin. "

Somebody posted that store a few days ago and I found that even though the 600 is priced at $419, it is a refurb, and virtually everything else they sell in that store is 25 to 40% more than GPSCity or GPSCentral.
---End Quote---
You'll also find that GPSCity, REI, GPSCentral, etc are not affiliated with Gamin either. The only reason they don't post that is no one would assume they are.

There's also nothing wrong with a refurb unit since anyone who's exchanged a defective unit probably got a refurb sent to them.

The issue, however, is this:

Are they selling refurbed units and passing them off as new? No.
The unanswered question is will Garmin honor the one year warranty as stated on their (factoryoutletstore.com) site?

I have an email in to Garmin right now asking if factoryoutletstore is a legit vendor for their refurbed units as well as verifying that these are indeed factory refurbs. If so, is the one year warranty honored.

I'll post back when I get a response.

FWIW my 2720 I currently have has never skipped a beat in the 5 years I've owned it and it was a refurb as well.

[/End Firedog45]

I never said that there is no warranty from that supplier, just that this statement was not exactly true: "This is from the Garmin Factory outlet store" as described by the initial poster.

I never said there was any reason not to buy a refurb, just that for $419, you can often find factory fresh, non-refurb units for the same price, and virtually everything else in the store was overpriced.

So I have no doubt that the warranty will be honored if you buy from them, but personally, I prefer to buy from known reputable companies which have been selling for years and have better prices anyway.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #7050
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Haha cuz the route is so tiny on my screen I can barely make out if its pink, red, or magenta.

Hmm, I am wondering if you are in the right screen format? Are you looking in 2D or 3D? That might be your problem.

if it looks like you are looking down from above it is 2D and I agree, the route is very small, but you can zoom right in, but it is not perfect.

Maybe change your map to 3D, go to Map/Setup, Orientation and select Automotive mode, then see if that screen is any better, put the unit in portrait mode and lock it to that position

- Main menu/Settings/Display/Orientation Lock/Lock Portrait

That may be helpful.

As for Bokor Mountain, on a fully loaded Vstrom, that racetrack is brilliant and I am not sorry to have found it paved ;) from Ticket office to Buddha=19 minutes and top checkpoint= 24 minutes, round trip to the bottom ticket office was 47 minutes

It was a blast ;)

Cheers from Sihnoukville, Cambodia
TravellingStrom