ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #7111
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Well, I am thinking the profile you used to base your custom profile on is maybe the wrong one?

I would make another profile, base it on Automotive or Bike or even Rec and modify that profile one step at a time. Keep checking as you got to see if the Tracks are available.

I cannot get the error you have, so it must be a fault with something you changed.

Good Luck
TS
This custom profile is my experimental one for sure and I've messed around with it and probably turned off the selection for Tracks (somehow)...

... but this to me means it could happen to me in the field so does anybody know how to add Tracks back as an option (after Where To?) if it got deleted somehow??
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #7112
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
This custom profile is my experimental one for sure and I've messed around with it and probably turned off the selection for Tracks (somehow)...

... but this to me means it could happen to me in the field so does anybody know how to add Tracks back as an option (after Where To?) if it got deleted somehow??
I looked but could not find how to add it back, so I would suggest, as TravellingStrom did, that you create a new profile from a known good one, and modify it as you want. But what happens if you make a copy of your custom one? Does it get the Where To/Tracks back?

Have you Reset the device to see if that would do it?
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #7113
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu
I liked the Detour feature on the Nuvi. I used to use it often on dirt roads when Garmin had routed me to a locked gate or a washed out bridge or private road. I'd punch in 'Detour' to see if Garmin could route me on an alternative. Good feature, but it's not on the Montana.

Re: inserting via points into your current route. A nuvi with routing (550 is what I had) would let me keep adding more and more stops but the Montana seems to allow only one insert at a time.

For example, you're following a route, you want to get gas so you:

Where to?> Set via point> location of gas station-

and the Montana will put that into your route. But if you try to add another, say a restaurant, it will drop the gas station via point and only route you to the restaurant.

I just noticed this last week, and haven't had the chance to confirm it but I think that's how the Montana works.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I assume, if this is the way it works, that Garmin wants you to use Route Manager to add more than one via point into a route you're currently navigating. Not that this is a good idea, of course, but Garmin does seem to like to add little variations in their gps units so you always have this niggling desire to get yet another gps, in the faint hope it'll answer all your gps prayers.

It's futile, obviously, to think we'll ever be perfectly satisfied. But that doesn't stop us from buying more of their products.

These minor irritations really don't annoy me all that much because the Montana is still the best gps you can get, for now. IMHO, of course.
Thank you both for the clarifications. I will try this out sometime.

I have the bike rigged now to run both the Montana and Zumo 350 simultaneously, side by side, and intend to try to notice and report on differences in how they work and what they do in different situations. Still pretty cold here, so I won't have much of anything for a while.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #7114
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I assume, if this is the way it works, that Garmin wants you to use Route Manager to add more than one via point into a route you're currently navigating. Not that this is a good idea, of course, but Garmin does seem to like to add little variations in their gps units so you always have this niggling desire to get yet another gps, in the faint hope it'll answer all your gps prayers.

It's futile, obviously, to think we'll ever be perfectly satisfied. But that doesn't stop us from buying more of their products.

These minor irritations really don't annoy me all that much because the Montana is still the best gps you can get, for now. IMHO, of course.
While the Montana is better at some things, it's still not as good at others. Unfortunately, Garmin refuses to make a "best" GPS for my needs, so that's why I have 4 of them.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #7115
dvmvm
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
When I am currently not navigating, and I click Where To? I cannot select Tracks because it is nowhere on the list. How did I delete that and how do I get it back?

This is while I am on a custom profile I made. On the standard Automobile and Motorcycle profiles the Tracks is still there, but not on my custom one.
On the Dutch forum it was found that the profile got corrupted slightly. You might correct it with Wordpad:
a) on the Montana change the current profile to another than the bad profile to allow this the bad profile to be overwritten.
b) connect to a PC, open "Garmin\Profiles\badprofile.gtt" with Wordpad and under the < Findmenu> add the following: "< FmItem > 30 < /FmItem >" excluding quotes and spaces.
c) check that all other Fmitem numbers between 0 and 37 are also present.
d) disconnect from USB, power on the Montana and choose the bad profile again. It should now have the "Tracks" find option re-installed.

It is likely that it got corrupted during firmware update.
The exact fail conditions are not known.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #7116
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmvm View Post
On the Dutch forum it was found that the profile got corrupted slightly. You might correct it with Wordpad:
a) on the Montana change the current profile to another than the bad profile to allow this the bad profile to be overwritten.
b) connect to a PC, open "Garmin\Profiles\badprofile.gtt" with Wordpad and under the < Findmenu> add the following: "< FmItem > 30 < /FmItem >" excluding quotes and spaces.
c) check that all other Fmitem numbers between 0 and 37 are also present.
d) disconnect from USB, power on the Montana and choose the bad profile again. It should now have the "Tracks" find option re-installed.

It is likely that it got corrupted during firmware update.
The exact fail conditions are not known.
Corruption sounds like the correct cause, rather than me actually deleting it manually through some goofy menu choice. Thanks for all the details I will try this!

I must say I am honored to be the "cause" of your very first post to ADV ! ?

Welcome to the ADV community, the place that never ceases to amaze me...
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #7117
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Unfortunately, Garmin refuses to make a "best" GPS for my needs, so that's why I have 4 of them.
And we have 8 Garmins in this house. Sounds like Garmin's strategy is translating into sales for them.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #7118
dresda
shut up and RIDE!
 
dresda's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: South Eastern Shore of Ontario
Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Me too.
Yep, if you've spent any time at all looking at an area using a MAP then North up is the least confusing way, certainly when zoomed out enough to actually see where you are.

If zoomed way in and following someone else's track that you've downloaded, and you've got 20 guys on bikes following you then track up is better
__________________
Stephanie
'01 Suzuki DR650 (Patsy Q), '11 VW Golf TDI Wagon
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #7119
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
Yep, if you've spent any time at all looking at an area using a MAP then North up is the least confusing way, certainly when zoomed out enough to actually see where you are.

If zoomed way in and following someone else's track that you've downloaded, and you've got 20 guys on bikes following you then track up is better
Interesting that people feel this way. When I was doing a lot of hiking and backpacking, I always took the time to orient the map (spin it to match the surrounding terrain) which is the equivalent of "track up" because that is how it made sense to me. I would know which direction to go on the ground in order to reach a point on the map...
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #7120
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
And we have 8 Garmins in this house. Sounds like Garmin's strategy is translating into sales for them.
We're just sheep at the mercy of the corporate formula.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #7121
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Interesting that people feel this way. When I was doing a lot of hiking and backpacking, I always took the time to orient the map (spin it to match the surrounding terrain) which is the equivalent of "track up" because that is how it made sense to me. I would know which direction to go on the ground in order to reach a point on the map...
Most of my paper map navigation was street and hiway. I never really used one for hiking, we would just hike as far as we wanted to go, then turn around and hike back, same for hunting, never used maps.

Anyway, hard to read street/hiway names on a map if it's turned 90* or upside down.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #7122
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee
 
mbabc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 1,723
The torx screw on my rugged mount has crapped out. I saw the thumb screw mod and took it apart, looked like the clip around the screw had moved up onto the threads so I moved it back down. Didn't fix the problem. I like the torx screw idea so would like to stay with it (if possible). Can't return it as I've re-wired it with an SAE connector.

Guess I'll have to do the finger screw thing. Just venting....
__________________
"I have never seen a Kentuckian without a gun and a pack of cards and a bottle of whiskey." - Gen. Andrew Jackson
'08 WR250R - '12 Super Tenere - '64 CT-Frankentrail
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #7123
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
The torx screw on my rugged mount has crapped out. I saw the thumb screw mod and took it apart, looked like the clip around the screw had moved up onto the threads so I moved it back down. Didn't fix the problem. I like the torx screw idea so would like to stay with it (if possible). Can't return it as I've re-wired it with an SAE connector.

Guess I'll have to do the finger screw thing. Just venting....
You can buy Torx security screws in different sizes in better tool and hardware stores. I was staring at a wall of them just yesterday.

If you can't find any locally, I can send you a couple.


Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #7124
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee
 
mbabc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You can buy Torx security screws in different sizes in better tool and hardware stores. I was staring at a wall of them just yesterday.

If you can't find any locally, I can send you a couple.


Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
Thanks Emmbeedee. Does the mount use a special type of torx? Seems I remember there's a divot or something.
__________________
"I have never seen a Kentuckian without a gun and a pack of cards and a bottle of whiskey." - Gen. Andrew Jackson
'08 WR250R - '12 Super Tenere - '64 CT-Frankentrail
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #7125
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Thanks Emmbeedee. Does the mount use a special type of torx? Seems I remember there's a divot or something.
There's a groove which you can likely create yourself as bli55 did in his post.

This is the wall I was in front of yesterday:



These are all standard sizes but they also had metric.

Or maybe you were thinking of the security part of it, the little pin in the head of the screw which keeps a standard Torx driver from working? These "Tamper Proof" ones have that pin.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 10:56 AM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014