ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 225 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #7171
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
CNNA is 2013.30

Actually says several maps are enabled including (2) Topo US 24k Southeast:

Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR
CNNA NT 2013.3
Topo US 24k Southeast
Topo US 24k Southeast 2 (should I disable/delete 1 of them ?)
Digital Globe
BirdsEye Select Kompass-Switzerland (why would I have this?)
BirdsEye Select EIRE
BirdsEye Select France (Disable too ?)
BirdsEye Select Kompass- Austria + East Alps (again disable ?)
USGS Quads

What would be the best way to delete the unused maps? BaseCamp?

Thanks!
If those are all on the gps, that would cause problems, especially if they were all enabled at once. I'd fire up Javawa Device Manager and see what recommendations it makes. I would also remove those Birdseye maps - they are samples, and of little use.

You can back the maps up to your computer in case you'd rather not delete them outright.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #7172
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Anyone else having any hinky selection issues since the latest firmware update? Since upgrading, my selections don't seem to be working as they should.

For instance, if I'm on the menu page and hit the map icon it will not go to the map. It scrolls to the second page of menu icons. Eventually you can get there after multiple attempts. This is just one of the anomalies.

Everything was well until I upgraded to the latest firmware. I'm thinking of going back one version and see if that solves the issue.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #7173
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
If those are all on the gps, that would cause problems, especially if they were all enabled at once. I'd fire up Javawa Device Manager and see what recommendations it makes. I would also remove those Birdseye maps - they are samples, and of little use.

You can back the maps up to your computer in case you'd rather not delete them outright.
OK, JDM has been used to remove most of the BirdsEye files, and voice files.

I do notice that I only have 2 map files on the SD card and both of them are Topo US 24k, (1) is 1.6G and in Map Set Name says "Topo US 24k Southeast" and (2) says Topo US 24k and is 2.4G with a Map Set Name of "Bull Island, James Island, Capers Inlet" ect.

Should Topo US 24k Southeast be divided into 2 maps?

There are only (3) maps found by JDM on the Montana itself:
1) CNNA NT 2013.3
2) "gmapbmap.img" Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap NR @ 49MiB
3) "gmaptz.img" says "none" in contain maps and 582KiB (Time Zone Map)
Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #7174
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
OK, JDM has been used to remove most of the BirdsEye files, and voice files.

I do notice that I only have 2 map files on the SD card and both of them are Topo US 24k, (1) is 1.6G and in Map Set Name says "Topo US 24k Southeast" and (2) says Topo US 24k and is 2.4G with a Map Set Name of "Bull Island, James Island, Capers Inlet" ect.

Should Topo US 24k Southeast be divided into 2 maps?

There are only (3) maps found by JDM on the Montana itself:
1) CNNA NT 2013.3
2) "gmapbmap.img" Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap NR @ 49MiB
3) "gmaptz.img" says "none" in contain maps and 582KiB (Time Zone Map)
Has JDM warned you that some map segments are in multiple maps? As in duplicates? It warned me when I had that on my Montana.

Perhaps if it's not warning you of this, then the maps might be two different areas of the same map. (Just a guess.)

The three maps on the Montana itself are all to be expected, and should be left as they are.

While you were using JDM did you enable all the maps to be visible in Basecamp, if they weren't already?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #7175
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Quote:
Has JDM warned you that some map segments are in multiple maps? As in duplicates? It warned me when I had that on my Montana.
Ans. - No, no warning

Perhaps if it's not warning you of this, then the maps might be two different areas of the same map. (Just a guess.)
Ans. - guess you're right

The three maps on the Montana itself are all to be expected, and should be left as they are.
Done (or not done as the case might be)

While you were using JDM did you enable all the maps to be visible in Basecamp, if they weren't already?
They weren't, doing that now.
Wonder why map info on the Montana itself has so many other maps?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #7176
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Haven't really used the Montana much since I got it but was able to take the bike out yesterday for a little ride. Did NOT have a route active, was just using it in map mode. Was on a tertiary road, not a State Road but not a road in the boondocks by any means. When I got on the road it showed up on the map just fine, went down an did a big loop of another road and came back on the original road. For some reason the road was no longer on the map display. It stayed like that for a good 10 miles, it had me moving but I wasn't on a road.

I had made no changes (display, zoom ect.) to the Montana at all, in fact I hadn't touched it at all. It also did the same thing on another road on the same ride.

I'll be using the Montana in the car more frequently to see if it happens frequently but am curious if this is normal. I could (sort of) understand if it didn't show the road the first time I was on it and then show it on the ride back but this is just the opposite of that behavior. There are trees along the road but there was plenty of open sky to get a fix, as I said it showed me moving.

CN North America maps

Edit: Just connected the Montana to check for updates, it's on 4.60 and the latest vs. is 4.70 so it's updating now.
Is it possible that you were at a very high zoom level, such that the GPS accuracy going one way was different than going back, and because of the high zoom the road you were on was "off the screen"? If you were writing a track, can you confirm that your track indicates the same location of your paths going both ways? Also, do you have "Lock on Road" selected in the "Routing" section of "Setup"? Scratch that last question, I just noticed you were not navigating a route, so that's likely not germane to the issue.

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours

BajaDave screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 03:19 PM
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #7177
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Anyone else having any hinky selection issues since the latest firmware update? Since upgrading, my selections don't seem to be working as they should.

For instance, if I'm on the menu page and hit the map icon it will not go to the map. It scrolls to the second page of menu icons. Eventually you can get there after multiple attempts. This is just one of the anomalies.

Everything was well until I upgraded to the latest firmware. I'm thinking of going back one version and see if that solves the issue.
Yes. I did the update in Colombia (not recommended when on the road) and ever since the Return Arrow and Scroll Arrows do not behave as before. On most menu's the Return Arrow, if held, does not return to the Main Menu. When trying to select an App Icon on the Main Menu pages, the icon must be touched very lightly or the unit thinks you want to move the icon. I hope the Dev Team will regression test this behavior and correct it.

P.S, Except for the above, my unit and the others on the tour have preformed very well. We've had a few "get-offs" on some of the more technical "roads" and no Montana has failed. Most of the glitches I've seen I can attribute to the OSM maps we are using - which by the way are quite good in general. A few more years of public input and the OSM maps will be the map of choice outside of the overly expensive North America and EU maps.

Cheers,

(on the road in South America)

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 03:49 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #7178
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Yes. I did the update in Colombia (not recommended when on the road) and ever since the Return Arrow and Scroll Arrows do not behave as before. On most menu's the Return Arrow, if held, does not return to the Main Menu. When trying to select an App Icon on the Main Menu pages, the icon must be touched very lightly or the unit thinks you want to move the icon. I hope the Dev Team will regression test this behavior and correct it.

Cheers,

(on the road in South America)
Hey, howdy stranger.

Which version of the software is it that people are complaining about? AFAIK 4.70 is the latest, and I see nothing wrong with it aside from the failure of simulated navigation.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #7179
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Wonder why map info on the Montana itself has so many other maps?
Can you post a screen shot of the maps list?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #7180
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Quote:
Can you post a screen shot of the maps list?
I would probably need a bit of a hint on how to do that but in this case the other maps aren't showing up anymore. These are the maps I have now via Setup Map > Map Information > Select Map:

WW DEM Basemap, NR
CN NA NT 2013.30
Topo US 24k Southeast
Topo US 24k Southeast
Digital Globe
USGS Quads
Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #7181
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Yup it's in 4.7.

I don't have as many problems with a bare hand when you can have a more deft touch. Gloved hands while riding is very frustrating since the update.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #7182
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaDave View Post
Is it possible that you were at a very high zoom level, such that the GPS accuracy going one way was different than going back, and because of the high zoom the road you were on was "off the screen"? If you were writing a track, can you confirm that your track indicates the same location of your paths going both ways? Also, do you have "Lock on Road" selected in the "Routing" section of "Setup"? Scratch that last question, I just noticed you were not navigating a route, so that's likely not germane to the issue.
No, zoom level was not high at all, don't remember the exact resolution but think it was about 500 ft. per 1/2 in. and was never touched between ride out and return ride.

I'm just going to ride with it again sometime this week and see if the F/W update did anything to change the behavior and will report back.

Thanks for all the help. I'll spend some more time in the Wisdom thread....
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #7183
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I would probably need a bit of a hint on how to do that but in this case the other maps aren't showing up anymore. These are the maps I have now via Setup Map > Map Information > Select Map:

WW DEM Basemap, NR
CN NA NT 2013.30
Topo US 24k Southeast
Topo US 24k Southeast
Digital Globe
USGS Quads
It sounds to me like your gps is ok now with the maps you have listed but for future use, here's how to get screen captures.

Setup/Display/Screen Capture On, then go to the screen you want to capture and hit the power button quickly and the screen image is saved. When you hook up to a computer later on, go to Finder or My Computer, navigate to the gps, Garmin\scrn folder and you'll see the screen captures in bmp format.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #7184
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:

WW DEM Basemap, NR
CN NA NT 2013.30
Topo US 24k Southeast
Topo US 24k Southeast
Digital Globe
USGS Quads
I just remembered something else you might find useful: in JaVaWa Device Manager you can rename your maps so you won't be seeing duplicate names. Assuming those two Topo 24K maps really are different, you can name them in such a way as to know what really is in each. I'd leave Topo US 24K, and add the rest of a descriptive name.

In JDM, use Edit Name/Edit Map Name.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #7185
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Quote:
It sounds to me like your gps is ok now with the maps you have listed but for future use, here's how to get screen captures.

Setup/Display/Screen Capture On, then go to the screen you want to capture and hit the power button quickly and the screen image is saved. When you hook up to a computer later on, go to Finder or My Computer, navigate to the gps, Garmin\scrn folder and you'll see the screen captures in bmp format.

Thanks!

How did you know I'm on a Mac?