ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #7171
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Stop cluttering an already bloated thread off-topic BS. Please?
Since you missed it

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #7172
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
From the product Page for Oregon 650:

Touch and Go

Oregon 650 has reflective display technology for the most brilliant, sunlight readable touchscreen we’ve ever made. It's as vivid in full bright sunlight as it is in shade. The screen has been strengthened for impact resistance but still accommodates gloved operation. And with dual-orientation, multi-touch screen, you won’t just look at maps, you’ll interact with them when you zoom in, pan out and rotate the display.

Ahhh, they really need to work on their shitty website, I almost always use the compare unit feature when they come out with a new unit to see what changes are made.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #7173
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Stop cluttering an already bloated thread off-topic BS. Please?
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #7174
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Montana Screen Broken

After a few hundred hours of very hard offroad and B/A hare scramble courses my Montana screen finally cracked and let a bunch of water in. No replacement parts available so I have to purchase a refurb unit for $175 CDN. Not too bad considering how much punishment it saw.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #7175
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker;
I'm new to routes but have been playing with them in my cage and if I understand you correctly I do think there is at least one way to do what you describe. Of course there may be others but this works for me:

There are 2 keys:
You have to use the Route Planner app itself to edit the route. (Whether you are actively navigating the route or not).
AND
You have to set the Activity Profile of the route to DIRECT in BaseCamp when you transfer it to the Montana.

At least that worked for me. Transfer a Direct route to the Montana then navigate it in an autorouting profile (like Automobile). Then you MUST go into Route Planner then select the route by name. This will bring up the options page (note for a Direct Route you can also select "Reverse Route", kindof handy).
When you select Edit Route then you see the Via Points and Waypoints currently in the route to choose from. Pick one then on the next page you can pick Insert to insert an item before it, for example.

In my experience this simply inserts the new item and does not affect any of the already existing items.
Snooker,

Your tip is SPOT on correct! Thanks for posting it. It solved my routing problem as I like to edit routes while riding.

If one creates a route in BC using a profile other than direct, it can't be edited in the Route Manager and the behavior I noted in a prior post happens when one tries to edit the route. I would encourage those who use routing to keep your routes short and to consider converting the route to a track and sending that also to your Montana.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #7176
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 256
OneEffinName, that's sad....

Which mount was it in?
Did it just break whilst riding or something hit it in an off?
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #7177
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Snooker,

Your tip is SPOT on correct! Thanks for posting it. It solved my routing problem as I like to edit routes while riding.

If one creates a route in BC using a profile other than direct, it can't be edited in the Route Manager and the behavior I noted in a prior post happens when one tries to edit the route. I would encourage those who use routing to keep your routes short and to consider converting the route to a track and sending that also to your Montana.
You can thank DRTBYK as he suggested transferring routes from BaseCamp as Direct. I guess this is one more feature that doing so enables.

I've only had this thing since Christmas and still have only ridden on my bike one day. And I'm brand new to routing. So I'm learning from others, some have moved on and I'm sure I'm just repeating stuff but I have not tried to read this whole thread.

BTW we have a Routing Thread for units similar to the Montana, and I posted a bunch of basic definitions then limitations there to get discussions started. What I'd like to see next is people posting their "favorite use model", sorta like "recommended best practices". This would be a good candidate, so I'll try to add it there...

but feel free to add things there yourself. That site is preferred for routing specific topics and maybe it can gain some traction.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #7178
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
[QUOTE=snooker;20899894 sorta like "recommended best practices". This would be a good candidate, so I'll try to add it there...

QUOTE]

Awesome idea. Embeedee has started a cliff notes thread on the Montana in this forum. I would love more topics posted there from the"recommended best practice" mindset. As this topic is just too HUUUGE to navigate for us newbies on the model when looking for info.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #7179
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Awesome idea. Embeedee has started a cliff notes thread on the Montana in this forum. I would love more topics posted there from the"recommended best practice" mindset. As this topic is just too HUUUGE to navigate for us newbies on the model when looking for info.
That's exactly why I created that topic. A lot of the time, in this thread, we just go round and round the same subjects again and again so it made sense to me to get the best of it and post it to the FAQ and Wisdom thread.

I'd be happy to have others suggest ideas and/or articles for inclusion there. It's not all up to me.

I was thinking of adding a post in it about Snooker's Routing Info (with appropriate credit to DRTBYK). A capsule summary of the subject and why it's so complicated and easy to screw up, and how to find that topic. That kind of thing.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #7180
growingthirst
There is no Spoon!

Oddometer: 38
Hi! Can somebody please send me the Montana Dropbox credentials?
growingthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #7181
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingthirst View Post
Hi! Can somebody please send me the Montana Dropbox credentials?
If you PM me your email address, I can.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #7182
shu

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Anyone else seeing this problem? Anytime I try to simulate driving a route, I end up in the Atlantic ocean south of Accra.

My software version is 4.70 and it doesn't seem to matter which maps I have enabled. This happened on various profiles with different maps in each.
Anything further on this?

I'm in Mexico right now and downloaded a little circular route from my riding partner. When I looked at it on the Montana it included a jaunt across the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean to that same point south of Ghana.
Of course, since it was a route that was not constructed on the Montana there was no way for me to edit it out.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #7183
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Anything further on this?

I'm in Mexico right now and downloaded a little circular route from my riding partner. When I looked at it on the Montana it included a jaunt across the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean to that same point south of Ghana.
Of course, since it was a route that was not constructed on the Montana there was no way for me to edit it out.

..............shu
Can you share the GPX please?

What was the original source of the route?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #7184
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Does my Montana have a problem?

Haven't really used the Montana much since I got it but was able to take the bike out yesterday for a little ride. Did NOT have a route active, was just using it in map mode. Was on a tertiary road, not a State Road but not a road in the boondocks by any means. When I got on the road it showed up on the map just fine, went down an did a big loop of another road and came back on the original road. For some reason the road was no longer on the map display. It stayed like that for a good 10 miles, it had me moving but I wasn't on a road.

I had made no changes (display, zoom ect.) to the Montana at all, in fact I hadn't touched it at all. It also did the same thing on another road on the same ride.

I'll be using the Montana in the car more frequently to see if it happens frequently but am curious if this is normal. I could (sort of) understand if it didn't show the road the first time I was on it and then show it on the ride back but this is just the opposite of that behavior. There are trees along the road but there was plenty of open sky to get a fix, as I said it showed me moving.

CN North America maps

Edit: Just connected the Montana to check for updates, it's on 4.60 and the latest vs. is 4.70 so it's updating now.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #7185
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
Haven't really used the Montana much since I got it but was able to take the bike out yesterday for a little ride. Did NOT have a route active, was just using it in map mode. Was on a tertiary road, not a State Road but not a road in the boondocks by any means. When I got on the road it showed up on the map just fine, went down an did a big loop of another road and came back on the original road. For some reason the road was no longer on the map display. It stayed like that for a good 10 miles, it had me moving but I wasn't on a road.

I had made no changes (display, zoom ect.) to the Montana at all, in fact I hadn't touched it at all. It also did the same thing on another road on the same ride.

I'll be using the Montana in the car more frequently to see if it happens frequently but am curious if this is normal. I could (sort of) understand if it didn't show the road the first time I was on it and then show it on the ride back but this is just the opposite of that behavior. There are trees along the road but there was plenty of open sky to get a fix, as I said it showed me moving.

CN North America maps

Edit: Just connected the Montana to check for updates, it's on 4.60 and the latest vs. is 4.70 so it's updating now.
Which version CNNA?

Where any other maps enabled?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote