ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 140 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #7201
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It sounds to me like your gps is ok now with the maps you have listed but for future use, here's how to get screen captures.

Setup/Display/Screen Capture On, then go to the screen you want to capture and hit the power button quickly and the screen image is saved. When you hook up to a computer later on, go to Finder or My Computer, navigate to the gps, Garmin\scrn folder and you'll see the screen captures in bmp format.

Thanks!

How did you know I'm on a Mac?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #7202
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
Thanks!

How did you know I'm on a Mac?
It was an inspired guess.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #7203
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
No, zoom level was not high at all, don't remember the exact resolution but think it was about 500 ft. per 1/2 in. and was never touched between ride out and return ride.

I'm just going to ride with it again sometime this week and see if the F/W update did anything to change the behavior and will report back.

Thanks for all the help. I'll spend some more time in the Wisdom thread....
Did you check your track to confirm it placed you in the same location in both directions? I'm guessing a very weak or intermittent signal put you off of your actual location as far as the map goes. Checking your track can verify this.

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #7204
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

New Basecamp Version Available: BaseCamp software version 4.1.2 (For Windows Only)

Check here for details.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 06:06 AM
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #7205
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bli55 View Post
OneEffinName, that's sad....

Which mount was it in?
Did it just break whilst riding or something hit it in an off?
It was in the the rugged mount. Rubber mounted. Keep in mind it saw a hard life.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #7206
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Anyone else having any hinky selection issues since the latest firmware update? Since upgrading, my selections don't seem to be working as they should.

For instance, if I'm on the menu page and hit the map icon it will not go to the map. It scrolls to the second page of menu icons. Eventually you can get there after multiple attempts. This is just one of the anomalies.

Everything was well until I upgraded to the latest firmware. I'm thinking of going back one version and see if that solves the issue.
Happens alot with me. It then locks up and won't do anything. Taking the battery out does nothing. Strange thing is this only happens in a car with or without 12v power. Version 4.6.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #7207
TrotterD
Geek

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
I would probably need a bit of a hint on how to do that but in this case the other maps aren't showing up anymore. These are the maps I have now via Setup Map > Map Information > Select Map:

WW DEM Basemap, NR
CN NA NT 2013.30
Topo US 24k Southeast
Topo US 24k Southeast
Digital Globe
USGS Quads
Hi Bill, hope you are well.

Do you have all those maps you have listed enabled all at the same time on one profile. Most of the time you will probably only need one map set enabled for most activities. Eg. I don't see much use for the WW DEM Basemap to be enabled if you are using City Navigator. The more maps enabled the more memory used and processing power, thus slowing the device down slightly.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #7208
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterD View Post
Hi Bill, hope you are well.

Do you have all those maps you have listed enabled all at the same time on one profile. Most of the time you will probably only need one map set enabled for most activities. Eg. I don't see much use for the WW DEM Basemap to be enabled if you are using City Navigator. The more maps enabled the more memory used and processing power, thus slowing the device down slightly.

Regards

Dave
Dave, thanks, I was going to ask about that. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll go through my profiles today and disable the maps I don't need for the individual profiles. I would assume I wouldn't need the WW DEM Basemap for anything the US City Navigator covers correct?

Now that I'm almost done with the maint/repairs on the new-to-me bike I'll be playing with the Montana a lot more. I've had a heck of a time finding a good mounting spot where it wouldn't interfere w/ the tankbag but still give me unobstructed view of the dash/inst console, finally settled on the "Twin Headlamp Ernie" dash shelf and mounting a RAM ball mount to it w/ the RAM arm and Garmin AMPS Rugged Mount, I think that should do the trick.

Dave, (and the rest who have contributed to this informative thread) thanks so much for your help.

gspdbill screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 07:43 AM
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #7209
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Dave, thanks, I was going to ask about that. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll go through my profiles today and disable the maps I don't need for the individual profiles. I would assume I wouldn't need the WW DEM Basemap for anything the US City Navigator covers correct?
People report that the WW DEM (Digital Elevation Model) map needs to be on, or else searches take longer. I have no problem keeping the DEM map on in addition to any other. It supplements other maps, it does not duplicate or conflict with them.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #7210
TrotterD
Geek

Quote:

Now that I'm almost done with the maint/repairs on the new-to-me bike I'll be playing with the Montana a lot more. I've had a heck of a time finding a good mounting spot where it wouldn't interfere w/ the tankbag but still give me unobstructed view of the dash/inst console, finally settled on the "Twin Headlamp Ernie" dash shelf and mounting a RAM ball mount to it w/ the RAM arm and Garmin AMPS Rugged Mount, I think that should do the trick.

Dave, (and the rest who have contributed to this informative thread) thanks so much for your help.
Hi Bill, no problem.

I have mine on a 2009 GS mounted using the RAM mount ball onto a aftermarket GPS bar. Looks great and am also using the HUGE Garmin spiny security nut thingy.

Regards,

Dave
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #7211
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,116
Putting tracks on Google Earth

Is it possible to move tracks from the Montana to Google Earth? If so how do I do that? Thanks in advance
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #7212
ACP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Is it possible to move tracks from the Montana to Google Earth? If so how do I do that? Thanks in advance
Simplest way I found, assuming you have Basecamp, at the top, click view, Google Earth... Voila
Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #7213
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Simplest way I found, assuming you have Basecamp, at the top, click view, Google Earth... Voila
Otherwise upload the file and convert it with something like GPSBabel to a KM file and done too. BaseCamp is simplest though.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #7214
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
I finally got my new Montana. Originally arrived just before Christmas and found faulty. After toing and froing by the vendor, its now working properly, ie I got a new replacement. I just hope it lasts now.

The problem was that it did not recognise, or connect to, the LiIon battery pack, but otherwise it worked fine. As a result, I did get some quality time with the first one, and its a good thing for sure.

With the Oz Topo maps, I find that I can plan tracks by using the routing which follows in detail the route, then convert it to a track. Occasionally, the route will not follow a track on the map, so I stop it there, and join it up later when both ends are tracks.

Terrific helpful thread, juts like the rest of ADV
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #7215
TrotterD
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Hello, hope you are well.

If you plug your device into your PC / Mac. Then run Basecamp, you will see the under your device a folder called "Internal Storage". Highlight this to show the contents of your internal storage in the bottom pane. You will see everything such as waypoints, tracks, routes etc. If you have tons of stuff in the device "Internal Storage" you can click the foot print symbol at the bottom to filter to just show tracks.

Left click one of the tacks so that id is highlighted on the map over to the left of the screen. Then from the menu, click -> View -> Google Earth -> Selected Items. This should invoke Google Earth to load and display your track on the Google Earth Map.

Regards,

Dave