ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 185 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #721
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThompson View Post
I've loaded both the free Texas Topo and the free Arkansas Topo from gpsfiledepot.com. Both are great maps. The author, 'maps4gps' has one for Virginia, free VA Topo. The 'MyTrails' overlay map on the same site also has some coverage for the VA area. I find it fantastic for the Ozark National Forest in Arkansas.
I also run the PA topo map in my Basecamp and Mapsource software. But since this kind of map is not routable, What does the GPS do when you download a route onto it that follows trails on the topo map? does the GPS auto reroute you using the roads contained on it's basemap?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #722
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
I also run the PA topo map in my Basecamp and Mapsource software. But since this kind of map is not routable, What does the GPS do when you download a route onto it that follows trails on the topo map? does the GPS auto reroute you using the roads contained on it's basemap?
I don't run routes on these maps. If I need to reference a predetermined path, I trace out the tracks in Mapsource or gpsvisualizer and load the tracks into the Montana.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #723
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,060
Well, my Montana 650 is on it's way back to Garmin.

No, it certainly isn't because I am not happy with the unit. The touch interface is not working properly so the Engineering team proactively did a recall on my unit - just as I was about to leave on a 3600 mile ride.

I have a zumo 660 that I could have used on this trip (it's been on some long rides) but the zumo software team broke the Track Import to Route feature FOUR MONTHS ago and have not fixed it. I have found this to be so irritating I won't use the zumo and am considering removing the zumo 66x from my "recommended" list altogether.

In any case, I like the Montana so much better that I took it on the trip knowing of the problem and that it might fail completely - it didn't of course.

Now I find myself without a Montana and I'm taking the HP2 for a little dirt ride this weekend. Anyone want to loan me their Montana? I'll be gentle.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 08-30-2011 at 08:30 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #724
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Now I find myself without a Montana and I'm taking the HP2 for a little dirt ride this weekend. Anyone want to loan me their Montana? I'll be gentle.

Cheers,
Classic withdrawal symptoms...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #725
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I just got a replacement unit back form Garmin yesterday after experiencing the unusable touch screen problem. The people I spoke with on the phone denied that it was a known issue and said they had never heard of a touch screen calibration problem on a Montana. Hmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Well, my Montana 650 is on it's way back to Garmin.

No, it certainly isn't because I am not happy with the unit. The touch interface is not working properly so the Engineering team proactively did a recall on my unit - just as I was about to leave on a 3600 mile ride.

I have a zumo 660 that I could have used on this trip (it's been on some long rides) but the zumo software team broke the Track Import to Route feature FOUR MONTHS ago and have not fixed it. I have found this to be so irritating I won't use the zumo and am considering removing the zumo 66x from my "recommended" list altogether.

In any case, I like the Montana so much better that I took it on the trip knowing of the problem and that it might fail completely - it didn't of course.

Cheers,
cdavisrosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #726
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Not to strange. It seems that the Montana Engineering Team is being "proactive" in replacing these units based on the conversations here and via the MontanaBeta@Garmin.com emails. When I got my email from Prod Support with the RMA, the young fellow said, ". . .Engineering contacted me and told me to create an RMA for your unit." He know nothing of the reason for the RMA. Recall back a few weeks when mention was made here about the Montana team asking for direct feedback because it would get to them more quickly. Well that part is working to our benefit.

The down side is that these issues don't seem to be getting logged by Product Support so when someone calls and says my unit won't calibrate and that some others have had this problem, Prod Support has no record of it.

Anyway, you got your's replaced and are a happy camper. I am without my Montana. . . I NEEEEED IT BAAAACK

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #727
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Got my Montana!
Now I'm trying to deal with two things new to me: GPS use in general, and trying to make an open source, free map play nice with the unit.

I suppose the pragmatic option would've been to purchase a Garmin map while I concentrate on the former, but I've been convinced that the NZ Open GPS maps are better.

Anyway, does anyone have any helpful links for a noob? Also, what display setups are people using while riding?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:06 AM   #728
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Got my Montana!
Now I'm trying to deal with two things new to me: GPS use in general, and trying to make an open source, free map play nice with the unit.

I suppose the pragmatic option would've been to purchase a Garmin map while I concentrate on the former, but I've been convinced that the NZ Open GPS maps are better.

Anyway, does anyone have any helpful links for a noob? Also, what display setups are people using while riding?
talk to gremlin when he comes back from the states...the open gps maps group have a forum i think
Old 08-31-2011, 02:26 AM   #729
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It's not difficult to remove the Montana from the mount. Even if it's locked on, it only takes 20 seconds.

so, could we say that this particular locking mechanism is not intended to secure the gps against theft? It's just there to make the mounting more stable, kind of.
I mean, you should not walk away from your bike, enter a convenience store for example for a couple of minutes, and leave the Montana on the mount, should you?

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 AM   #730
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
what display setups are people using while riding?
Why not start with the "Motorcycle" profile and tweak that so it's just right for you?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 AM   #731
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadspirit View Post
so, could we say that this particular locking mechanism is not intended to secure the gps against theft? It's just there to make the mounting more stable, kind of.
I mean, you should not walk away from your bike, enter a convenience store for example for a couple of minutes, and leave the Montana on the mount, should you?
I consider the mount to be quite secure, certainly good enough to leave the bike for a trip into a convenience store, if you do what I did and change out the Ram mount adjuster knob for a self locking nut.

With this modification, I've gone into restaurants for lunch and not worried about the Montana on the bike. Who's going to go up to my bike with tools, ready to take the mount off?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:20 AM   #732
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I consider the mount to be quite secure, certainly good enough to leave the bike for a trip into a convenience store, if you do what I did and change out the Ram mount adjuster knob for a self locking nut.

With this modification, I've gone into restaurants for lunch and not worried about the Montana on the bike. Who's going to go up to my bike with tools, ready to take the mount off?
I agree with the self locking nut, that's what I would do also ... but my concern is about the device mounted on the craddle, not the mount adapter itself ... I guess I will have to do a "hands-on" test myself and then see if a lockable craddle (touratech or other) could be necessary :)

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:47 AM   #733
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadspirit View Post
I agree with the self locking nut, that's what I would do also ... but my concern is about the device mounted on the craddle, not the mount adapter itself ... I guess I will have to do a "hands-on" test myself and then see if a lockable craddle (touratech or other) could be necessary :)
There is a Torx security screw on the cradle which prevents the gps from being removed. I assumed you knew about that. But what's the point of a screw securing the gps to the cradle if the whole gps, cradle and all can be removed?

This way, there's a little more security.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 AM   #734
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

GPS Security on the Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormotris
Got my Montana!

I will most always screw in the security screw when I leave the bike in a quick stop (Gas, Rest Stop, etc.). I also assess the area and people around the area before I leave the bike. If it looks doggy, it probably is - take the GPS with you. I've never had anyone try to remove my GPS in a short stop situation. Going into a Restaurant, the GPS go's too.

The locking screw on the Montana is as good as any other "security" device. They are only a mild deterrent.

As for Profile's, there are several to choose from as a starter (like Emmbeedee mentioned). I have my own as I expect most will after using the unit for a time. I like certain backgrounds and screen paging (no "Drawer" for me ). I also prefer to run the unit in Portrait mode since I use the device in "Track-Up" mode. This gives me a good look ahead when I need it.

Back up your Montana \Garmin folder to your computer. This will save your Profile(s) so you can quickly recover them if needed.

Haven't use the "NZ Open GPS" map but I do use Open Street Maps and have had no issues with them on the Montana.

Have fun with it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #735
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,806
DRTBYK, thanks for pointing out Open Street Maps. While I am new to Garmin (have a nuvi for the car) I personaly have always been a Delorme guy. But I cant' see the screen so I am going to buy a Montana soon.

I have spent some time with mapsource (and now basecamp) so I can hand people my routes from Delorme. I have run free topo maps, which I downloaded to the nuvi at one point (I think? it's been a while).

With open street maps, can I route?

I am here to learn before making this large investment (gps, maps, holders, etc, etc)