ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 140 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #7366
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslins View Post
Mac, thanks for the information. What is the UNL 1kb and GMA 3kg? And do you think I can get the city nav. Off the Garmin sd card to a 32 G card? Thanks

As long as the citynav (or any other locked map) is registered to that particular device, you can move it around at will and still use it.

Since the Garmin USB interface is kinda slow, you can take the little uSD card out of the device and put it in a USB adapter straight into your computer. If you have two adapters, you can copy the "garmin" folder from one sd card to another.

If you just have one adapter, you can copy the folder to your hard drive, then to your new uSD card.

If you have multiple maps you want to put in the same folder, they have to be renamed, as I described above.

... and I don't know what those other little files are, but I didn't mess with them.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #7367
chaslins
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Great information. Thank you. Anything for or against up loading to basecamp then down to 32 g card. Getting smarter with this. Thanks
chaslins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #7368
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
As Mac said. Just copy the file from one card to the other one. Keep Basecamp out of the move.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #7369
chaslins
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks sure like this forum. You guys will be tired of hearing from me but when I am done I will understand. Sam sends tracks tomorrow of TAT.
chaslins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #7370
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
When the Montana "archives" a track where does it go? Internal memory? SD? Is it archived in whole or is it "compressed" or "filtered" with some of the data thrown out?
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #7371
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
When the Montana "archives" a track where does it go? Internal memory? SD? Is it archived in whole or is it "compressed" or "filtered" with some of the data thrown out?
Internal memory, X:\Garmin\GPX\Archive

AFAIK, there is nothing stripped out of the archived gpx, and if you want to use it in any way, you can make a "Favorite" out of it to bring it out of the archive directory.

GPX files are very small so there's no need to fear filling your Montana's memory with them. The screen shot below is my Montana's GPX directory, including many routes and tracks from as far back as I can remember, and it's only 105 megabytes in size for 478 items.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #7372
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks! I usually setup the tracking for 1pt/sec which even though it will consume the most memory, like you say it would likely take years worth to take up any appreciable space. Someday it would be nice if Garmin would create "real" documentation but I'm not holding my breath...

I did find out the answer to my other question about GPS elevation too... As I presumed it will only display and log the barometric sensor elevation. Oh well. I still have handheld units without sensors that will for the times it's important and if I really want I can get some other really slick "board level" units that will log at 20hz very accurately by using GPS, Glonass and Galileo signals...
Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #7373
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 928
Speaking of multiple maps, emmbeedee, tell us the story of the GPS that had no idea where any of our destinations were :)

Sent via semaphore on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #7374
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
Speaking of multiple maps, emmbeedee, tell us the story of the GPS that had no idea where any of our destinations were :)
Your guess is as good as mine, but it looks to me like the OSM map was interfering in some way as the gps worked well once I deleted that map. But with the OSM map in the gps, even when it was disabled, I would do a search on a town and the gps would find the town but report it as being in the US, not Canada, where it actually was.

Totally bizarre and makes me a little reluctant to put the OSM map back on.

Here's an example. The Prescott NY actually refers to Prescott ON.

It works as it should now that the OSM map is gone.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 07:02 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #7375
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Your guess is as good as mine, but it looks to me like the OSM map was interfering in some way as the gps worked well once I deleted that map. But with the OSM map in the gps, even when it was disabled, I would do a search on a town and the gps would find the town but report it as being in the US, not Canada, where it actually was.

Totally bizarre and makes me a little reluctant to put the OSM map back on.

Here's an example. The Prescott NY actually refers to Prescott ON.

It works as it should now that the OSM map is gone.
The reason that the OSM map reported the Canada location as being in the US is because the site (person) that compiled the map coded some of the Canada tiles as US.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #7376
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The reason that the OSM map reported the Canada location as being in the US is because the site (person) that compiled the map coded some of the Canada tiles as US.

Cheers,
And that's how the invasion starts, right?

If this was the only anomaly I'd still use the OSM maps but I saw many more bizarre names like Pembroke, ABC, and when searching for a location, I don't have time to guess what that ABC stands for.

What's especially weird about my example, Prescott, NY, is that City Navigator was enabled at the time so why didn't it offer up Prescott, ON? What gives OSM priority/dominance?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #7377
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
GPS Elevation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
....I did find out the answer to my other question about GPS elevation too... As I presumed it will only display and log the barometric sensor elevation.....
Actually it cán record the gps elevation:
  • Setup - Altimeter - Barometer Mode = Fixed Elevation => GPS-elevation is logged.
  • Setup - Altimeter - Barometer Mode = Variable Elevation => barometer-elevation is logged, possibly correced by the GPS-elevation:
    Auto calibration on: a slow correction with time constant of half an hour. Just after power-on (when powered-off for more than 2.5 minutes) there is a fast correction in 1-2 minutes.
    Auto calibration off: no correction by GPS. Best acuracy is reached when manually calibrating with a known elevation at the beginning of the trip.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #7378
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I see a lot of questions about using multiple maps on the same device, or in the same folder. This is how I use three maps on the same device. There may be other ways, but this works for me. I reserve my memory space on the device for storing BirdEye imagery, tracks and such. All my maps stay in the same folder on a 32G uSD card, installed in my 650T.

By default, all supplemental maps are typically named the same - "gmapsupp.img". Just rename each img file as they installed on the card (or on the device). Once the installed map is renamed, then you can install another map (then rename it as well), and so on.

Here is a copy of the "Garmin" folder in my uSD card. Also, I keep a copy of this folder on my computer hard drive, as a backup.

Quick post since I'm at work. I bought my Montana 600 last year. Had trouble loading City Nav and Topo East/West. I loaded most of CN and areas of East West I would need. I'm leaving for a trip and realized the west topo maps I had loaded, did not cover the area I would be in. I tried to reload and it screwed it up. I can no longer toggle between Topo and CN. I figured out CN and topo were going into the same file. Gotta run...more later
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #7379
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

I appreciate the feedback. It would be nice if Garmin documented how things work, however....

My understanding is that:
  • Setup - Altimeter - Barometer Mode = Fixed Elevation => the barometric pressure displayed being that of the direct reading of the barometric pressure sensor compensated for by the "calibrated" elevation (refer to auto calibration on/off) and that it expects that elevation to be fixed; i.e. the GPS is stationary. This is the mode you might use while at a fixed location to apply the barometric sensor as you would a barometer. My experience with other Garmin units with barometric sensors (e.g. 76Csx) in this mode is that the track logging and altitude display are not the GPS derived elevation but still the barometric pressure sensor derived elevation.
  • Setup - Altimeter - Barometer Mode = Variable Elevation => the barometric pressure displayed is simply compensated to the "calibrated" elevation.

GPS derived elevation is much less accurate than the horizontal GPS accuracy (usually about 2x or somewhat more than horizontal) and it depends on satellite position geometry. The "auto calibration" takes the average of the GPS derived elevation over time and "calibrates" the barometric altimeter to this elevation periodically to compensate for the normal barometric changes.

This works very well except for when you are in aircraft or even when the unit is mounted in the wind stream or behind a windshield on the moto where the pressure is not the static pressure and it can cause errors of more than a hundred feet or even much more. Forget about it in a pressurized cockpit where it is useless. I fly aircraft for sport (ultralights, sailplanes, other) and for a lot of these applications either don't need a aviation GPS or they are fix mounted in the aircraft and I'm just looking for a handheld so I can download the track logs easily when I get home.... Hence the desire for a more accurate track log then I get from the barmoteric sensor derived altitude. My experience has been that the GPS (actually GNSS) elevation in an aircraft with the antenna in a good position does much better than the barometric sensor derived elevation - particularly in these newer units that aren't just GPS but use other satellites like Glonass or Galileo (GNSS - Global Navigation Satellite Systems)... It would probably be a very different case if we could plumb a good static pressure source to the handheld but that's not practical.

Maybe this is different on the Montana but it's how it works in the 76Csx and since the setting fields are the same, I'm skeptical it's different. It's very easy to test. Just take the unit up in a commercial aircraft and see whether the elevation maxes out at 7.5-8.5K' instead of 30-40K'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmvm View Post
Actually it cán record the gps elevation:
  • Setup - Altimeter - Barometer Mode = Fixed Elevation => GPS-elevation is logged.
  • Setup - Altimeter - Barometer Mode = Variable Elevation => barometer-elevation is logged, possibly correced by the GPS-elevation:
    Auto calibration on: a slow correction with time constant of half an hour. Just after power-on (when powered-off for more than 2.5 minutes) there is a fast correction in 1-2 minutes.
    Auto calibration off: no correction by GPS. Best acuracy is reached when manually calibrating with a known elevation at the beginning of the trip.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #7380
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by caver View Post
Quick post since I'm at work. I bought my Montana 600 last year. Had trouble loading City Nav and Topo East/West. I loaded most of CN and areas of East West I would need. I'm leaving for a trip and realized the west topo maps I had loaded, did not cover the area I would be in. I tried to reload and it screwed it up. I can no longer toggle between Topo and CN. I figured out CN and topo were going into the same file. Gotta run...more later
So load one map. Rename the file. Then load the next map. Repeat.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote