ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #7681
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
24k Topo and City Nav
Excellent. DRTBYK has you on the right track, then.

Also, set your routing method in BaseCamp to Direct before sending the route to the Montana, and you will be able to edit the route on the Montana. All other activities result in a route that can not be edited on the Montana.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #7682
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Excellent. DRTBYK has you on the right track, then.

Also, set your routing method in BaseCamp to Direct before sending the route to the Montana, and you will be able to edit the route on the Montana. All other activities result in a route that can not be edited on the Montana.
Awesome. Thanks guys. I am fairly certain I do not have it set to direct in basecamp.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #7683
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Actually, "Use Map" only shows if you are already navigating a Route and want to add a Via Point. I agree with SteveAZ, this is a needed addition to the "Where To" searches: along with "Along Active Route".
As I said in my reply, when I go to "Where To", select "Menu" I get this:

I then see this screen:

There's no need to be navigating a route to see the screens I posted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #7684
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belaflek View Post
Quick question. I jumped the gun on the mount adn purchased the garmin rugged cradle only. After looking around it looks like that I need an arm that hooks to the bike and a plate with a ball on it so I got the
RAM-B-149 RAM U-BOLT MOUNT W/ SS HARDWARE.
It looks like this should work with teh Garmin rugged mount but
1) am I still missing the ball part
2) does it have to be the diamond pattern..I thought AMPS was a standard
Check the mount with the Montana in it before you mount it (wire it) on the bike.
I got mine not that long ago, ran wiring etc. Then found out I have one of the ones Garmin is shipping where the locking screw does not reach the threads. Not sure how I'm going to fix it. Wish I would have checked it earlier.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #7685
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Check the mount with the Montana in it before you mount it (wire it) on the bike.
I got mine not that long ago, ran wiring etc. Then found out I have one of the ones Garmin is shipping where the locking screw does not reach the threads. Not sure how I'm going to fix it. Wish I would have checked it earlier.
I yanked my locking screw out as soon as I got the mount. I learned that with my ZUMO mounts, damn things would lock on their own. That's a real PITA if you don't happen to have one of the unlocking tools handy. They really serve no purpose as if someone wants to steal it they can easily just rip it off the bike.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #7686
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
I seem to be doing something wrong here and though I am sure there is a very simple solution..I cannot find it. I Create a route in Basecamp. It auto routes for me. Then I transfer to the unit and the "route" is 1 straight line or a series of straight lines. I believe I am looking for a "auto route" button on the unit itself but all I see is activity profiles and "direct Routing". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Read the Routing discussion thread, I tried to add a tutorial at the beginning...

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #7687
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I have no idea what would happen if you had the same tracks/routes/waypoints duplicated on the Montana and the uSD card, but I don't think it would prevent the gps from running. I also don't think it would help anything. Why would you not just use the uSD card for all those things? The cards are so cheap these days that it just doesn't make sense not to have a few kicking around with all your maps/routes/tracks/waypoints, to ensure reliability.

The gps will always record tracks to internal memory, though.
Sounds like just putting my Tracks/Routes/WPs on the uSD card is best for this purpose, then have a backup identical one. Someday I'll try this ;)

The other issue then is the big items, Maps.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #7688
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Sounds like just putting my Tracks/Routes/WPs on the uSD card is best for this purpose, then have a backup identical one. Someday I'll try this ;)

The other issue then is the big items, Maps.
Same thing - put your maps on the card too.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #7689
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I yanked my locking screw out as soon as I got the mount. I learned that with my ZUMO mounts, damn things would lock on their own. That's a real PITA if you don't happen to have one of the unlocking tools handy. They really serve no purpose as if someone wants to steal it they can easily just rip it off the bike.
Doesn't it add to "keeping it in the mount" when you are off road? If all it does is help prevent theft, I'll quit caring.
Thx
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)

MizzouRider screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 07:25 AM
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #7690
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Doesn't it add to "keeping it in the mount" when you are off road? If all it does is help prevent theft, I'll quit caring.
Thx
By all accounts here, it does nothing to increase the mounts ability to hold the Montana. The rugged mount will withstand some pretty rough riding. The only possibility the screw would address is if a branch somehow got in there and pressed the release button.

Nevertheless, using belt and suspenders approach can't hurt and putting a lanyard around the handle bars is good practice. I just used a spare shoelace.

Can't believe a $600 GPS from Garmin doesn't come with a lanyard!!!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #7691
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
You can do this but you need to go to "Where To" first. One of the choices is "On a map" or something similar. I don't have my Montana with me so I can't check it, but it is there...

Got my Montana now - go to "Where To", select "Menu", "Search Near" then "A Map Point" or any of the other three selections, "A Recent Find", "A Waypoint" or "My Current Location".
The problem is I'll be panning and *then* decide to do a find, not the other way around....

*Very* frequently, which is why this is frustrating. First Garmin (out of *many*) I couldn't do a find while panning the map....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #7692
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you configure your Routing Settings on the Montana similar to the Routing settings in BaseCamp (i.e, the same Activity and Avoidances) you should find that the Montana will behave the way you expect it to.

In this case you used an Along-road Routing Activity in BaseCamp to create your Route. It would appear from your description that you have your Montana Routing Activity set to Direct Routing. Try using the Automotive Activity or Motorcycle Activity and see what your Route does then.
That fixed it Dan. I hadn't gone into my unit's settings far enough to select a different profile, then check the same route that was loaded. Thanks again both of you for the help.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #7693
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,734
Quote:
Hey Jeff,
Had the same problem. Got my Montana and mounts at GPScity, gave them a call and they sent me a new rugged mount no charge. Even told them I'd modded the wiring with an SAE plug but they said just keep the defective one.

Great service.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #7694
EduardoMas
Spartan Overlander

Oddometer: 395
Question Rugged Mount Locking Screw replacement

I like belt+suspenders, specially if it comes at little to no effort.

I thought I could take the tamper proof torx screw out like most captured screws, but no luck (did not try too hard just in case I break it).
The idea was to replace the screw with a small light thumb screw I can fab with little effort (or even any common screw head)

Has anyone taken out the locking screw out of the Rugged Mount?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #7695
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,040
Quote:
As I said in my reply, when I go to "Where To", select "Menu" I get this:

I then see this screen:

There's no need to be navigating a route to see the screens I posted.
Sorry Emmbeedee - I'm very literal so I didn't see your intent. I thought you were suggesting this "Use Map" - which you only get when you are working with Routes.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote