ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #7696
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Here's a thread you might be interested in: Comparison of Garmin Topo 24K vs 100K for trail riding.
A very interesting thread! However, what I take away from that discussion is that I would not give up my 1998 TopoUSA 100k mapset until they pry it from my cold, dead hands.....

I still use it constantly for planning and riding, along with GPSFileDepot's free state 24K maps.

It has a LOT of trails and roads that are no longer shown in any modern mapset (at least for where I ride), as well as much cultural information no longer included.

YMMV
Old 05-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #7697
harleymac1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
DRTBYK, are you saying by using a bt dongle I can get the Montana audio in my helmet? How does the dongle connection work?
Ride for Kids Supporter (Lost my 9yo daughter in 2012 to a brain tumor.)
harleymac1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #7698
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
A very interesting thread! However, what I take away from that discussion is that I would not give up my 1998 TopoUSA 100k mapset until they pry it from my cold, dead hands.....

I still use it constantly for planning and riding, along with GPSFileDepot's free state 24K maps.

It has a LOT of trails and roads that are no longer shown in any modern mapset (at least for where I ride), as well as much cultural information no longer included.

YMMV
I agree - a lot of old maps have amazing detail or capabilities, stuff which isn't important enough to make it into current maps. I almost always run with the Canada Enhanced Basemap, a product which hasn't been updated in perhaps 10 years but has amazing detail right out to the 5km zoom level so you can actually see enough on the map to know where you are, and what's around you.

Yes, I like having CNNA with Lifetime Map Updates, but it's not my most useful map.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #7699
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymac1 View Post
DRTBYK, are you saying by using a bt dongle I can get the Montana audio in my helmet? How does the dongle connection work?
That is what Dan and others are saying. Plug the audio out from the Rugged Mount into a BT dongle and pair it with your intercom.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #7700
BruceWA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Seems I'm having way too many crashes of the 650t since the 4.9 update was installed, Again today while riding, entered a waypoint and after a brief second of calculating....dead again.

Another master reset and OK...for now!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #7701
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Here's what I use.

I got it from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It works fine but the battery life isn't much. I didn't have any problems pairing it with my Bluetooth helmet and can hear the warnings from the GPS with no problem. I need to install a USB charging port to keep it charged. As it is, I need to remember to have it plugged in or else it will go dead. But I have it next to the helmet and that helps me to remember.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #7702
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
On a related note, what is the 'proper' way to transfer waypoints, etc.... from Basecamp to the Montana so as not to duplicate items? I'm trying to keep my waypoints 'in the cloud' in basecamp, but it seems every time I try to transfer them to/from the Montana I end up with duplicates.
Are you just using the send to and receive from device function? Just throwing this out there as it might help but Cut-n-paste and drag-n-drop also work when moving tracks. routes, and way points between Basecamp and the Montana. You can just select only what you want to move and cut down on the duplication.
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one).. gone.. damit
05 Honda 650L.. gone
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #7703
harleymac1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thank you for the info and link ChadHahn.
Ride for Kids Supporter (Lost my 9yo daughter in 2012 to a brain tumor.)
harleymac1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #7704
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,434
Help can't get power

- edit -
Fixed. Took a few tries to unriddle the right combination to get the right power and ground wire set that is switched to the ignition. With only two sets of wires, one with constant power the other switched to the ignition, you'd think I'd nail it in two tries. But then I was betting brown was power and when that didn't work that feeling, the cold fear that's associated with dabbling in the black arts of electricity, rises up and leaves you befuddled like jello becomes when you ask it hard questions. It hates us and we hates it, but once again the power has been harnessed within the thin wires where it sulks about looking for ways to do evil. Even less helpful is the hangover that makes clear thought something you vaguely recall as having gone on vacation sometime in the wee hours of the night before.

CanadianX screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 01:17 PM
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #7705
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Thank you for the info and link ChadHahn.
You're welcome.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #7706
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Navigating a Track is probably a bit foreign to most Auto-Routing users. When you navigate a Track your path is colored Magenta (like navigating a route) and the path data (Total Distance, ETA at Destination, Distance to Destination, etc.) is available for view but you will not get spoken nav prompts like auto-routing. I sure wouldn't want it to announce every track point in my tracks. If you need "prompts" along the Track path, place waypoints with proximity alarms and you will get your prompt.

Does anyone know if its possible to group set proximity alarms for all the waypoints in a track ? I'm not relishing the thought of doing every waypoint individually as I have over 500 in various tracks I've created for a ride that is upcoming.

Cheers
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #7707
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMInduro View Post
Does anyone know if its possible to group set proximity alarms for all the waypoints in a track ? I'm not relishing the thought of doing every waypoint individually as I have over 500 in various tracks I've created for a ride that is upcoming.

Cheers
Not on the Montana but you can in BaseCamp.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #7708
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMInduro View Post

Cheers
In BC you can set the proximity radius in feet or miles, a red circle will appear around the waypoint. Keep in mind, you will be prompted twice, once when you enter the radius point and again when you ride out of it.
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #7709
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
In a time crunch, have the TAT tracks from SAM but just noticed one of the Oklahoma and Colorado sections are viewable. I go to the track and no matter what I select...view, delete whatever it's like it's stuck. I can download easy enough and says it's successful but can't view...or delete.

Suggestions? Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #7710
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I've been having some issues getting the WEST 24k topo maps onto my Montana. I was able to install the south east, south central, south west, but the West is giving me issues.

It appears to install, it says it completed successfully, shows up on the card, basecamp says its there, but when i go into the map setup on the device, every map is there EXCEPT the West. SE,SC,SW, and the base map. You can enable and disable all of them, but the West is no where to be found.

I've deleted the West off the card 2 times and readded it without issues from Basecamp.

Basecamp sees the maps correctly in its system as well, you can view the full topo maps just like the other areas.

I'm kind of out of ideas.

Anyone have any?
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote