ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 254 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #7876
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Anybody know how to find and apply version 4.70? I've forgotten.
Look in my signature, or click here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #7877
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
You may want to go back to 4.6. That's the last version that doesn't introduce the touch screen funkiness when using gloves.
Interesting, I haven't found 4.70 to be any different in that respect, glove issues have been a problem since day 1.

ESPECIALLY THE ZOOM BUTTONS IN NUVI PORTRAIT MODE!!!!!!!!! HELLO? HELLO?
GARMIN? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #7878
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Interesting, I haven't found 4.70 to be any different in that respect, glove issues have been a problem since day 1.

ESPECIALLY THE ZOOM BUTTONS IN NUVI PORTRAIT MODE!!!!!!!!! HELLO? HELLO?
GARMIN? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?
The only really frustrating glove problem I've found is when I minimize the data fields on the main screen and try to re-expand them. I've had to take my gloves off to accomplish that.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #7879
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
The only really frustrating glove problem I've found is when I minimize the data fields on the main screen and try to re-expand them. I've had to take my gloves off to accomplish that.
Penny-tech....

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #7880
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Over the past 2 weeks I've logged some 3500-4000 miles while riding in a rally (www.bigmoneyrally.com). I've had the opportunity to really test out the Montana and have discovered some problems with it.

1. The trip meter is significantly off. I run a 60CSx on the other handlebar and it's typically very close to the odometer. On the first day of my second trip at the 300 mile mark, the Montana was showing 600 plus miles. I reset it again to zero and by the end of the trip it was 200 miles greater than the actual miles. Is this a known flaw and/or is there a fix?
  2. Periodically the screen would lock with a message, "Seeking Satellites". The only way I could get the screen back was to lightly press the POWER button which brought up the screen settings page. A second press of the power button brought the correct original screen back.
Is it time to get Garmin involved?

I do on balance like the unit for the sheer visibility of the screen and the customizability of the unit.

Tim
Sounds more like Antenna issues but certainly could be software. After updating to v4.90 I haven't seen this behavior but then I only have about 1,000mi on this version.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #7881
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
I hope this is the correct thread for this. I'm a newbie still learning the Montana device.

I am using a Montana to navigate the OBDR, GDR and Western TAT this July. On all three trails we will be following Tracks.

Question 1: If my basecamp is set to Direct Routing when I transfer these tracks to the Montana, are my tracks "safe" or "locked?" Is there any chance of the Montana recalculating them and screwing me while I'm in the backcountry?

Q2: Are there any "activity" or other modes that will give turn-by-turn prompts when following Tracks?

Q3: Should my Montana stay in Direct Routing mode at all times when following Tracks?

Q4: If I need to leave the track to auto-route to a nearby town or something, I should change the Montana to an auto-route activity to do that (and back to a dropped waypoint where I left the track), then switch back to Direct once I'm back to the track?

For that last question, I think I can set up a Shortcut button to quickly toggle between Direct and Follow Road routing for such scenarios... that should be useful.

thanks experts!
There are some fundamental's that you need to understand in regards to your questions. There are significant differences between TRACKS and ROUTES.

Routes: A route is a path calculated (math) by the GPS between a minimum of two waypoints using an onboard map that contains information (routing data) the GPS uses in the calculation. Since a Route is calculated (math), no two GPS’s will produce the same Route given a start point and end point unless they are calculated on the same model of GPS using the same exact map data with the same exact routing preferences – and that is rare!

Tracks: Since the beginning, commercial GPS’s have been able to record the path we traveled by setting points (latitude, longitude) along the path we travel.
  • These "track points" are represented on the GPS display by a line connecting them along the traveled path from start to finish.
  • Once a track is recorded the direction of a track is determined by the time-stamp associated with each point along the path. Drawing a Track in MapSource or BaseCamp is no different. It's a path of points and is used by the GPS as recorded; or drawn.

Now that you've read the above please ask your questions again since I'm not sure if you're asking Track navigation questions or Routing questions.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #7882
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Sounds more like Antenna issues but certainly could be software. After updating to v4.90 I haven't seen this behavior but then I only have about 1,000mi on this version.
I have experienced this behavior numerous times with two 'New' Montana 650 units, both running 4.90 - My old Montana 650 was with me all the way through 4.70, and never once exhibited this behavior. So, unless I recieved two Montana 650 replacements with identical hardware failures, I will continue to suspect it is firmware related.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #7883
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I've had several loss of satellite signal episodes since going to 4.90...
never had any before

I'm going back to 4.70 and will no longer try the lastest junk from Garmin until they figure out how to stop breaking more stuff than they're fixing...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #7884
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
There are some fundamental's that you need to understand in regards to your questions. There are significant differences between TRACKS and ROUTES.

Routes: A route is a path calculated (math) by the GPS between a minimum of two waypoints using an onboard map that contains information (routing data) the GPS uses in the calculation. Since a Route is calculated (math), no two GPS’s will produce the same Route given a start point and end point unless they are calculated on the same model of GPS using the same exact map data with the same exact routing preferences – and that is rare!

Tracks: Since the beginning, commercial GPS’s have been able to record the path we traveled by setting points (latitude, longitude) along the path we travel.
  • These "track points" are represented on the GPS display by a line connecting them along the traveled path from start to finish.
  • Once a track is recorded the direction of a track is determined by the time-stamp associated with each point along the path. Drawing a Track in MapSource or BaseCamp is no different. It's a path of points and is used by the GPS as recorded; or drawn.

Now that you've read the above please ask your questions again since I'm not sure if you're asking Track navigation questions or Routing questions.
Thanks for replying.
My source data is Tracks. I plan to navigate using those, so as not to be led astray by the GPS's routing calculations. I believe I've read a few times in this thread and others, that following a Track is the safest way to stay 100% true to the intended path.
I will be riding with 3 other guys, and I want to be sure that whoever is leading a leg gets the same exact info out of their GPS unit.

Is it correct that the Montana won't do Turn-By-Turn directions when following a Track? (So, in effect, there is no "routing" when applied to a Track downloaded onto the Montana.)

I hope that is more clear.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #7885
BruceWA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
never had any before

I'm going back to 4.70 and will no longer try the lastest junk from Garmin until they figure out how to stop breaking more stuff than they're fixing...
I have had loss of signal and cannot explain it. Was riding in the Hoh rain forest and had good signal in the tree canopy. Have lost the signal where there were no mountains or trees. Used to lose the signal with my 276c often in mountaineous and treed areas. Waiting to hear from Garmin email tech support.

Have purchased the external antenna and will take it with me in a couple of weeks on a west coast trip.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #7886
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,978
Quote:
Thanks for replying.
My source data is Tracks. I plan to navigate using those, so as not to be led astray by the GPS's routing calculations. I believe I've read a few times in this thread and others, that following a Track is the safest way to stay 100% true to the intended path.
I will be riding with 3 other guys, and I want to be sure that whoever is leading a leg gets the same exact info out of their GPS unit.

Is it correct that the Montana won't do Turn-By-Turn directions when following a Track? (So, in effect, there is no "routing" when applied to a Track downloaded onto the Montana.)

A track is just like a line drawn on the map. It is inert and it does not give you instructions. It is only a line on the map. Unlike a "route" a track is not calculated, so it does not get re-calculated.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #7887
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Yup. I've also experienced the loss of satellite in 4.9.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #7888
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for replying.

While Emoto is correct in his reply, you can "navigate" using a Track. This puts the Montana in a similar mode to Along-road routing with the exception that you will not get "turn-by-turn" voice instructions. You do have a "route description" available and as has been pointed out, you can also see Waypoint references along your Tracks path. The way you "navigate" a Track is to open Track Manager and select your Track. At the options menu select "View Map" then press the "GO" button. You will get a Magenta Line (regardless of what color you set for the Track) representing the Track. You also have the option to display "Distance to Destination" and "Distance to Next" info in Data Fields. If I'm out on the trail this is an OK option for navigating but if there are mapped roads I typically have my Track set to Show-on-Map and then using Routing so as to get more data options in my navigation. With the Track showing on the map along with an active route I can quickly see any deviation that the route may take versus the Track. If there is a deviation, I usually just follow the Track. But, sometimes it's worth stopping and evaluating the way the Along-road routing is suggesting.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #7889
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
never had any before

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I have experienced this behavior numerous times with two 'New' Montana 650 units, both running 4.90 - My old Montana 650 was with me all the way through 4.70, and never once exhibited this behavior. So, unless I recieved two Montana 650 replacements with identical hardware failures, I will continue to suspect it is firmware related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Yup. I've also experienced the loss of satellite in 4.9.
Have you folks checked your Track Log to see if there are actually gaps associated with the indicated loss of Sat Signal? Just wondering...

I'll be on the road with the Montana next week and I'll report back...expect with the same loss of Sat Signal issue. I assume you all have reported this to Garmin Product Support(?).

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #7890
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
I haven't checked the track log to see if there are gaps, but the trip odometer is short at the end of the ride so I'm assuming there are.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is online now   Reply With Quote