ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #7876
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 417
To the fella having the white screen issue - send it back and get a new one. I had to do that with mine and I waited too long. I got the replacement a couple months ago (I think it's been that long); everything has been fine until this weekend. I was riding along navigating a route and it white screened on me. Luckily I knew where I was at that point so I could pull the battery and replace it later. (I did the hold power button for 20 secs to turn it off but it was unresponsive.) By now the second warranty is out of date so I won't be able to return it if I need to if the white screen happens again. So don't wait!

Also noticed something else weird - not sure if this is the same track thing as discussed above. I have mine set to daily archive tracks. I was riding a 100 mile day and I noticed that the track would keep disappearing. If I had to retrace my steps I'd be screwed. I don't know why it does that. I haven't downloaded the tracks yet but I'd bet that everything is there. It just disappears from the screen.

Had a great weekend of ds riding. I still love the Montana. It really does a great job overall.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #7877
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 736
I hope this is the correct thread for this. I'm a newbie still learning the Montana device.

I am using a Montana to navigate the OBDR, GDR and Western TAT this July. On all three trails we will be following Tracks.

Question 1: If my basecamp is set to Direct Routing when I transfer these tracks to the Montana, are my tracks "safe" or "locked?" Is there any chance of the Montana recalculating them and screwing me while I'm in the backcountry?

Q2: Are there any "activity" or other modes that will give turn-by-turn prompts when following Tracks?

Q3: Should my Montana stay in Direct Routing mode at all times when following Tracks?

Q4: If I need to leave the track to auto-route to a nearby town or something, I should change the Montana to an auto-route activity to do that (and back to a dropped waypoint where I left the track), then switch back to Direct once I'm back to the track?

For that last question, I think I can set up a Shortcut button to quickly toggle between Direct and Follow Road routing for such scenarios... that should be useful.

thanks experts!
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #7878
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Also noticed something else weird - not sure if this is the same track thing as discussed above. I have mine set to daily archive tracks. I was riding a 100 mile day and I noticed that the track would keep disappearing. If I had to retrace my steps I'd be screwed. I don't know why it does that. I haven't downloaded the tracks yet but I'd bet that everything is there. It just disappears from the screen.
Because 'Archived Tracks' can not be displayed on the Map Screen.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #7879
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,075
Quote:
And all you need to do is go to the Archive directory on the Montana and make a "Favorite" of the track you want to bring back to the Tracks menu and navigate.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #7880
trampaslake
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Just had an interesting new occurrence.

I had been using the unit to auto route and I stopped it for a while. I'm sitting in a parking lot and I start up routing again and I get an "routing calculation error" message. Hmm. Strange. I try again with the same message.

So I move a few hundred yards closer to a road and the error goes away.

Does that error message just mean I wasn't close enough to a routable road for it to calculate the route?
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #7881
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
I set the track to archive when full... then again I generally set the track log to 1pt/sec (can't have too much data, right? ). At 1pt/sec that gives just shy of 3hrs. If I think I'll need track data at my finger tips on the unit that's longer than three hours, I'll do saves more often than every 2:45 (alarm function! ). I suppose I can slow it down. Jeez, at 10s/pt that gives more than 24hrs....

SteveAZ screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 08:34 PM
SteveAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #7882
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
And all you need to do is go to the Archive directory on the Montana and make a "Favorite" of the track you want to bring back to the Tracks menu and navigate.
Mmmmm, there's always that..... Learn sumthin' new. No reason to stop 1pt/sec...
SteveAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #7883
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Montana Lock-up & Other Issues

Over the past 2 weeks I've logged some 3500-4000 miles while riding in a rally (www.bigmoneyrally.com). I've had the opportunity to really test out the Montana and have discovered some problems with it.

1. The trip meter is significantly off. I run a 60CSx on the other handlebar and it's typically very close to the odometer. On the first day of my second trip at the 300 mile mark, the Montana was showing 600 plus miles. I reset it again to zero and by the end of the trip it was 200 miles greater than the actual miles. Is this a known flaw and/or is there a fix?
  2. Periodically the screen would lock with a message, "Seeking Satellites". The only way I could get the screen back was to lightly press the POWER button which brought up the screen settings page. A second press of the power button brought the correct original screen back.
Is it time to get Garmin involved?

I do on balance like the unit for the sheer visibility of the screen and the customizability of the unit.

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #7884
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Over the past 2 weeks I've logged some 3500-4000 miles while riding in a rally (www.bigmoneyrally.com). I've had the opportunity to really test out the Montana and have discovered some problems with it.

1. The trip meter is significantly off. I run a 60CSx on the other handlebar and it's typically very close to the odometer. On the first day of my second trip at the 300 mile mark, the Montana was showing 600 plus miles. I reset it again to zero and by the end of the trip it was 200 miles greater than the actual miles. Is this a known flaw and/or is there a fix?
  2. Periodically the screen would lock with a message, "Seeking Satellites". The only way I could get the screen back was to lightly press the POWER button which brought up the screen settings page. A second press of the power button brought the correct original screen back.
Is it time to get Garmin involved?

I do on balance like the unit for the sheer visibility of the screen and the customizability of the unit.

Tim
Are you running 4.90 firmware?

I have had multiple issues recently with the Montana 650 reporting a total loss of satellite signals, while all other GPSr units present show no issue. Usually within a minute or two, they magically re-appear, like nothing ever happened, except for my track log being screwed up.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #7885
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Are you running 4.90 firmware?

I have had multiple issues recently with the Montana 650 reporting a total loss of satellite signals, while all other GPSr units present show no issue. Usually within a minute or two, they magically re-appear, like nothing ever happened, except for my track log being screwed up.
Yes, I'm on 4.90.

A couple of times I waited 4-5 minutes; but I eventually gave up and immediately used the procedure I described above. The 60CSx never lost its signal.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #7886
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Yes, I'm on 4.90.

A couple of times I waited 4-5 minutes; but I eventually gave up and immediately used the procedure I described above. The 60CSx never lost its signal.
Feel like reverting to an older firmware, like 4.70 to see if it occurs again?

I suspect this is a 4.90 only bug.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #7887
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
These are not archived tracks. They're current tracks. Like I've ridden a mile and the track disappears as I ride.

Edit: I'll add that this is after maybe 100 miles. Not like I've filled up the track log.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #7888
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
These are not archived tracks. They're current tracks. Like I've ridden a mile and the track disappears as I ride.

Edit: I'll add that this is after maybe 100 miles. Not like I've filled up the track log.
You would not be the first person to not realize the current track log was reaching the 10,000 point limit and was being archived automatically. I have helped several people with the exact identical observation as you describe, and each eventually discovered their track logs were safely stored in the archive folder, such as MBD suggests.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #7889
Rocky TFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Feel like reverting to an older firmware, like 4.70 to see if it occurs again?
Anybody know how to find and apply version 4.70? I've forgotten.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #7890
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
You may want to go back to 4.6. That's the last version that doesn't introduce the touch screen funkiness when using gloves.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote