ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #7906
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
My trip meter reads EXTREMELY long compared to the actual miles. I don't know if the loss of signal is causing it.
Nope. Mine has been dead on from day one.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #7907
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
I just looked at my tracks from last weekend. Here's my observations:

1. In all cases, forest canopy or obstructions weren't an issue.
  2. Saturday's track got split into pieces
  3. On Friday's track one entry has a speed of 785mph but the max speed on the trip meter is only 85mph (first digit appears to be truncated). This indicates a loss of signal.
  4. I see where the extra miles got added. At Woodland I stopped under a canopy at the Chevron Station. The GPS picked up a point some 150 miles away showed me as having ridden an additional 150 miles each way. I see another place in the route where that type behavior occurred. So that explains the extra miles. I think I'll reduce the frequency of the breadcrumb. For future, I'll not reset the odometer on the fly; I'll just examine the track when I get home and delete the spurious points.
I'm still thinking about reverting to an earlier version of the firmware. I'll wait for DRTBYK to report back after his trip.

BTW, last September when I was riding around Europe for a month, I probably had 3-4 instances of something similar to this occurring, but in those cases, I had to remove the battery and reset the unit.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100

Timmer screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 07:41 PM
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #7908
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
While Emoto is correct in his reply, you can "navigate" using a Track. This puts the Montana in a similar mode to Along-road routing with the exception that you will not get "turn-by-turn" voice instructions. You do have a "route description" available and as has been pointed out, you can also see Waypoint references along your Tracks path. The way you "navigate" a Track is to open Track Manager and select your Track. At the options menu select "View Map" then press the "GO" button. You will get a Magenta Line (regardless of what color you set for the Track) representing the Track. You also have the option to display "Distance to Destination" and "Distance to Next" info in Data Fields. If I'm out on the trail this is an OK option for navigating but if there are mapped roads I typically have my Track set to Show-on-Map and then using Routing so as to get more data options in my navigation. With the Track showing on the map along with an active route I can quickly see any deviation that the route may take versus the Track. If there is a deviation, I usually just follow the Track. But, sometimes it's worth stopping and evaluating the way the Along-road routing is suggesting.
Excellent! this info helps a lot.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #7909
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Ok, so how do you tell how many points a track has?
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Ok, thanks. But no way to check on the device itself, right?
You can on an Oregon 6xx:

atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #7910
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
I assume you all have reported this to Garmin Product Support(?).
Yes, and they have a working theory ;-)
Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #7911
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Have you folks checked your Track Log to see if there are actually gaps associated with the indicated loss of Sat Signal? Just wondering...
Yes, and Yes.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #7912
scottydawg
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Has anyone found a case they like to store their Montana in? Maybe a camera case or something?
scottydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #7913
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg View Post
Has anyone found a case they like to store their Montana in? Maybe a camera case or something?

Fits like a Glove :)
Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #7914
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
+1 but black
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #7915
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg View Post
In spite of all of the good suggestions, I kept looking, hoping to find that elusive nice protective case for not a lot of money.

I think we have a winner. I bought "The Classic Case - Camera / Hard Drive / GPS Case" by HandStands on Amazon. They did not claim it fit the Montana or any other specific GPS from what I could see, but did list the dimensions, which looked fairly close, so I took a chance. It was only $6.99 and eligible for the regular free shipping deal. Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s01_i02 Note: currently on sale for $4.99.

It fits really well. There is a small amount of space around it, which seems fine, and elastic straps to hold the unit in when you open it, and mesh pockets on the facing side for random crap. The shell material is firm with a little flex to it, but seems sturdy. I am very happy with this.

Pics:

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #7916
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
It fits really well. There is a small amount of space around it, which seems fine, and elastic straps to hold the unit in when you open it, and mesh pockets on the facing side for random crap. The shell material is firm with a little flex to it, but seems sturdy. I am very happy with this.

Nice find but one suggestion - when you put your Montana in, make sure the screen faces the other way so that random craps you stash in there doesn't end up scratching or worse yet, breaking the Montana display. There's no problem having things pushing against the back of the gps but the display side is fairly delicate.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #7917
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Carrying the Tempe and a Lanyard Clip

I was getting tired of never having the Tempe with me - it always seemed to be on the wrong bike or in the car, or attached to a different jacket, so I finally came to the conclusion that the only place it could be was on the lanyard I have on the Montana.

The double carabiner clip has the lanyard attached to the middle span of it, the Tempe itself on one side of the clip, and the other side of the clip is hooked to the bike so the gps won't be lost if it comes out of the mount.

Works really well!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #7918
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
In spite of all of the good suggestions, I kept looking, hoping to find that elusive nice protective case for not a lot of money.

I think we have a winner. I bought "The Classic Case - Camera / Hard Drive / GPS Case" by HandStands on Amazon. They did not claim it fit the Montana or any other specific GPS from what I could see, but did list the dimensions, which looked fairly close, so I took a chance. It was only $6.99 and eligible for the regular free shipping deal. Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s01_i02 Note: currently on sale for $4.99.
Thanks.. Ordered one.
Still running 4.7 after reading all the comments re 4.9. Heading to Alaska pretty soon with tracks and routes loaded. Throwing my 60CSx in the bag though. Just in case..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #7919
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Carrying the Tempe and a Lanyard Clip

I was getting tired of never having the Tempe with me - it always seemed to be on the wrong bike or in the car, or attached to a different jacket, so I finally came to the conclusion that the only place it could be was on the lanyard I have on the Montana.

The double carabiner clip has the lanyard attached to the middle span of it, the Tempe itself on one side of the clip, and the other side of the clip is hooked to the bike so the gps won't be lost if it comes out of the mount.

Works really well!
Problem is, if the Tempe is exposed to the sun, you're temp readings will be hella off.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #7920
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Problem is, if the Tempe is exposed to the sun, you're temp readings will be hella off.
It's a crapshoot anyway. It's not like I'm taking scientific readings. Where is the best place for it, anyway? In a tank bag? In a pocket getting warm from body heat? In a fairing, getting warm from the bike? There is no easy answer, but at least this means I have it with me.