ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #7966
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,496
Got a side question in regards to the Montana. What power cables does it accept? Does it accept the round 4 pin type?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #7967
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Got a side question in regards to the Montana. What power cables does it accept? Does it accept the round 4 pin type?
No, it sits on the powered Rugged Mount and contacts are on the surface of the gps itself. It can also be powered by usb but that's not the way to go.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 05:44 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #7968
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
I'll copy all the system files that are on the unit to my external drive when I get home.
Why not copy EVERY file on the unit to your HD?
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #7969
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
I got off the phone with Garmin tech support with a lesson learned... Don't delete items from your Garmin Montana without backing them up first. Then they told me that the unit will now work great as a paper weight, or I could return it to the retailer that I purchased it from for a new one. So off to Touratech Seattle I went with the broken GPS in hand. They swapped it out somewhat reluctantly.

Now I have a brand new unit, fresh out of the box. I'll copy all the system files that are on the unit to my external drive when I get home.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!
I suggest you do more reading at the Montana wiki, especially the part about What To Do With A New Montana.

See Step 9 for instance. :)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #7970
trampaslake
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Is doing the backup using Garmin Express good enough of a backup, or should I copy the files manually?
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #7971
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampaslake View Post
Is doing the backup using Garmin Express good enough of a backup, or should I copy the files manually?
Garmin Express is not compatible with the Montana. You may have mixed results. Garmin Express is intended only for use with nuvi GPSr.

Manual backup is highly recommended.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #7972
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Garmin Express is not compatible with the Montana. You may have mixed results. Garmin Express is intended only for use with nuvi GPSr.

Huh. GE backed up my Montana okay, also did an update on it, no issues.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #7973
trampaslake
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Same thing here.
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #7974
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
It's pretty darn easy to just copy the whole unit... so I can't understand why one wouldn't.

On another note..... I get very frustrated with the routing algorithm in the Montana [and the tons of bugs, the fussy touchscreen and missing features]... I have my "Avoidance Setup" with the "Carpool Lanes" checked and the "U-Turns" unchecked. So twice this morning it tells me to get into the HOV lane and it will *NOT* put a U-Turn in the route! Over and over it would route me half a mile through residential streets to avoid a major intersection U-Turn that is within 100yds!

Dear Garmin Montana, I am ok with doing U-Turns. This is why I uncheck the U-turn box. Please do not route me half a mile out of my way, through residential neighborhoods to avoid a U-turn at an intersection that is six lanes wide and 100feet down the road. It's ok... really, I'm cozy with them. I know you think I don't like left turns too and would have me do six right turns instead of one left turn... but really, it will save time and miles to accept my ability to do basic driving maneuvers! Oh, and when I do check the avoid carpool lanes it's because I'm driving alone so please don't tell me to risk a very high dollar ticket by taking the HOV lane!
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #7975
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampaslake View Post
Same thing here.
It sounds like Express may be playing nice with Montana now. I had issues early on when trying to update my map and was told then by Garmin support that Express wasn't ready for prime time. The tech told me he wondered why they had even rolled it out. Since then I haven't even launched Express...
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #7976
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Dear Garmin Montana, I am ok with doing U-Turns. This is why I uncheck the U-turn box. Please do not route me half a mile out of my way, through residential neighborhoods to avoid a U-turn at an intersection that is six lanes wide and 100feet down the road. It's ok... really, I'm cozy with them. I know you think I don't like left turns too and would have me do six right turns instead of one left turn... but really, it will save time and miles to accept my ability to do basic driving maneuvers!
I'm only guessing but it is probably because it is illegal to do a U turn at an intersection in most places.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #7977
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I'm only guessing but it is probably because it is illegal to do a U turn at an intersection in most places.
My Montana instructs me to make illegal left turns and go down wrong way streets all the time. (as does my nuvi 3790)
Old 05-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #7978
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
In AZ, U-turns are pretty much ok anywhere it doesn't specifically say no or you have to so something else illegal to do it! I had a traffic school instructor tell me you could be at the front of the left most lane at a traffic light and do a U-turn on red as long as you don't enter the intersection - and here the intersection is defined to be well past the hold bars and cross walks. I don't know if I will make that a habit, but this is definitely a U-turn friendly state...

And it is funny how the silly Montana keeps telling me to do the very illegal thing of using the HOV lane even when I check the box saying avoid it...

Pretty much all of my older autorouting units I've had do a much better job routing than the Montana. It's disappointing. I guess it will get you there but the routes are pretty bad and it's inability to do multiple vias or search POI's near the route are weak too. Oh well.

You might write it off like DP motos - you try to do too many things and then it doesn't do anything well. The problem with that thinking is units like the x76C/x96C's (and others) did almost everything better than the Montana's... Sometimes I wish Garmin would fix my old ones, but I guess it's time to move on...

SteveAZ screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 11:42 AM
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #7979
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post

Note the black TRACK is visible on the magenta ROUTE. It's easy to see where they deviate.
Combining the discussion on this board with similar discussions on the Dutch and German forum, the behavior seems to be as follows (fw4.90):
  • Navigating Routes (whereto | any destination except tracks): the magenta navigation line is at bottom, tracks on top.
  • Navigating Tracks: the magenta navigation line is on top, drawn over tracks.
I tested this a bit further, and it looks like the color of the tracks doens't matter.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #7980
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,496
I'm considering the Montana for myself. Can anyone give me the pros and cons they have had with the unit?