ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 253 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #8071
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
Well it's good to know it's not just me.

Hey Drtbk Dan, I'm using your most excellent on road profile as my main profile, thanks for passing that on to the drop box.
In the "Extras" search shortcut you have NV-State_Parks as a search. How did you do this? I'd like to set one up for TX, OK and AR but am getting no results when I spell search for TX State Parks. I'm not seeing an underscore either....is that part of it....does it have to not have any spaces in the search?
Also how are you saving these so they show up in the Extras shortcut.

I've checked the wiki and have tried everything I can think of.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #8072
guavadude
de-composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmvm View Post
I discovered that these crazy speeds are caused by extra logged points from the file ".position.gpx". The file .position.gpx contains the last known position before power off.
I won't know until the next ride but do you think this is inherent in using the Auto track log vs. distance? Is anyone that uses Distance logging still getting the error?
Like Atlas mentioned, it seems like Auto should stop logging when you've come to a stop. My crappy $30 bike computer does that.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #8073
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Well it's good to know it's not just me.

Hey Drtbk Dan, I'm using your most excellent on road profile as my main profile, thanks for passing that on to the drop box.
In the "Extras" search shortcut you have NV-State_Parks as a search. How did you do this? I'd like to set one up for TX, OK and AR but am getting no results when I spell search for TX State Parks. I'm not seeing an underscore either....is that part of it....does it have to not have any spaces in the search?
Also how are you saving these so they show up in the Extras shortcut.

I've checked the wiki and have tried everything I can think of.
guavadude, thanks for the feedback. I don't recall having any such "search shortcut" nor do I believe you can create one. I think (since I have made changes since posting those) what you are seeing in Extras is not a search shortcut rather it is a group of POI's you have loaded.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #8074
guavadude
de-composer

custom POIs

ok, I checked my dropbox downloads folder....these are dvwalker's POIs.
Still not sure how he created them, I'm guessing in BC. I was thinking this was part of your profile. Either way it's pretty cool. I need to figure out how to tweak for my little part of the world.

unzip archive to \Garmin\poi folder on your montana.

After you boot your Montana goto Where To-->Extras to view new custom Points of Interest (POIs)

contents
- moto dealers.gpi - North america motorcycle dealer (bmw, honda, etc) locations along with custom factory symbol
- Retail.gpi - walmart and Costco locations in North America
- Starbucks.gpi - North american locations
- State Parks.gpi
- National Parks.gpi
Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #8075
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
ok, I checked my dropbox downloads folder....these are dvwalker's POIs.
Still not sure how he created them, I'm guessing in BC. I was thinking this was part of your profile. Either way it's pretty cool. I need to figure out how to tweak for my little part of the world.

unzip archive to \Garmin\poi folder on your montana.

After you boot your Montana goto Where To-->Extras to view new custom Points of Interest (POIs)

contents
- moto dealers.gpi - North america motorcycle dealer (bmw, honda, etc) locations along with custom factory symbol
- Retail.gpi - walmart and Costco locations in North America
- Starbucks.gpi - North american locations
- State Parks.gpi
- National Parks.gpi
Do some reading up on Custom POI's. They are just waypoints with special coding and they can are loaded to the GPS (Montana) in a compressed file so that you can have tens of thousands of them in a file and the file will still be small compared to a Waypoint.gpx file. The POI icons show up on the Map at a higher zoom level then Waypoints do also. And, you can provide your own Icon for your POI's if you want.

A good source of POI's is at POI-Factory.com.

The only [current] down side of POI's is that the Montana is still having issues with Custom POI Icons.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #8076
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Now that I have one, may I have an invite to the Dropbox?

Thanks!
AVGeek94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #8077
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Install City Nav w/ Montana Connected?

Not strictly a Montana question, but should I install City Navigator with my brand spanking new Montana connected to my computer? Or should I tell the Garmin install software that I have a device that cannot be connected?

If you don't mind doing a bit of mentoring, what is the difference between these two options?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 05-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #8078
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
Not strictly a Montana question, but should I install City Navigator with my brand spanking new Montana connected to my computer? Or should I tell the Garmin install software that I have a device that cannot be connected?

If you don't mind doing a bit of mentoring, what is the difference between these two options?

Thanks,
Jay
What are you trying to accomplish?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #8079
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
What are you trying to accomplish?
I want City Nav to fully install on my hard drive. Then I can continue what I am used to doing, selecting sections of various maps on my PC and transferring those to my GPS. I was worried that when the installation software saw my Montana that it was going to install there instead of on the hard drive.

Jay
Old 05-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #8080
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
I want City Nav to fully install on my hard drive. Then I can continue what I am used to doing, selecting sections of various maps on my PC and transferring those to my GPS. I was worried that when the installation software saw my Montana that it was going to install there instead of on the hard drive.

Jay
Ahhh. I have never heard of that. Only way to get City Nav on the Montana is via BaseCamp/MapInstall.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #8081
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Ahhh. I have never heard of that. Only way to get City Nav on the Montana is via BaseCamp/MapInstall.
That was how I was doing it with Mapsource. I am trying to learn Basecamp right now too.

Jay
Old 05-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #8082
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
That was how I was doing it with Mapsource. I am trying to learn Basecamp right now too.

Jay
Well, don't get too frustrated. I have been trying to learn these things for more than a couple years now, and I still don't have it all figured out.

For more help, check my signature.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #8083
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtByk
Great sleuthing dvmvm. Have you sent this to the Montana Team? ...
Yes, already way back at fw4.20. I will send them an update about fw4.90.
Quote:
I won't know until the next ride but do you think this is inherent in using the Auto track log vs. distance? Is anyone that uses Distance logging still getting the error?
Like Atlas mentioned, it seems like Auto should stop logging when you've come to a stop. My crappy $30 bike computer does that.
I checked this a while ago at fw4.20 with distance logging set to 0m and to 10m and had the same error.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #8084
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Stuck on "Loading Profiles"

I have just loaded City Nav onto my PC, with the Montana connected via USB, after which the Montana's screen seems to be hung with a small font message at the bottom that reads, "Loading profiles..."

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #8085
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,585
Question regarding maps. I have City Navigator on cd and it is loaded to my Garmin 78s. If I get the Montana, would I be able to load the map also onto the Montana or at the least disassociate the map with the 78s to load it to the Montana?