ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #8266
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbern View Post
I have the same exact question... thanks for asking...are the 100k maps something that is easy to read anyway? I am a bit concerned about the unit now though as I have been reading this thread. I am planning on using it on the TAT and following a route is an issue for it?
Look for OSM Topo maps for your area, they're pretty good and they're free. However, if you want routable topos you're pretty much forced to buy the Garmin maps.

And don't let this thread scare you away from he Montana. As I'm sure you're aware, most forums attract people with questions, issues and/or problems. Most people who aren't experiencing these won't post.

If you're not familiar with the difference between routes and tracks then you need to get up to speed on this. It took me awhile to make the connection as I was using the terms interchangeably and they are not.

The Montana will let you download TRACKS of the TAT but you won't get turn by turn ROUTING of those tracks unless you convert those tracks to a route. This can all be done in BaseCamp. All of this is pretty straight forward but there is a steep learning curve. I've been using mine for about 3 months and I'm still learning/tweaking.

The Montana is not perfect but it is pretty damn good!
FireDog45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #8267
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmvm View Post
I assume you did the trip with firmware 4.90 or earlier,right?

As you already assumed, it has something to do with the "last known position" in .position.gpx. I have to elaborate a little deeper than earlier, for you to understand the issue.
The location in .posoition.gpx is updated about once a minute and it is filtered over some points, so it is much slower following your route. When you power-off the Montana shortly after stopping your bike, the last known poisition is a location about 1 minute ago. You can drive some miles easily in that minute.
At power on WHILE STANDING STILL, this wrong position is logged, together with a wrong timestamp (current time). The wrong timestamp causes speed spikes. The wrong position causes straight lines to a location somewhere a minute before the last tracklog position.
If you power-on the Montana while moving, this error is not occurring.

I just checked the 5.0 behavior: it is different.
It seems that the issue with the location from .position.gpx has been soved. I checked this while walking around with multiple power cycles. Several times I powered-on while I was moving, and several times while I was standing still. I observed the following:
  • When Keeping tracklog switched on, and power cycling the Montana, both power-on while standing still and power-on while moving resulted in track lines NOT being connected anymore on the Montana display. No different behavior anymore between standing still and moving.
  • No more speed spikes in Basecamp anymore with the tracklog being on while power cycling.
  • Tracks continue at the last tracklog point before the power cycle.
  • Basecamp still connects large straight lines if you relocate the montana while powered off with the tracklog still on.
    This connected straight lines might be expected as the tracklog is still on. But the Basecamp displays the track differently than the Montana does.
    Straight lines are drawn in Basecamp, because the Montana does not create separate tracks (trk /trk combinations) in the current track (current.gpx) at power cycling. Instead power cyces are recorded as track segments, just like lost-satellite conditions are.
    I would like consistent track display behavior between Montana and Basecamp.
    And I would like to have an option to automatically set the tracklog off/on simultaneously with power-off/on.
Can you check my findings?

Next i'm going to check the Montana and Basecamp track distance calculations with fw 5.0.
Yes I have not yet updated to 5.0 still on 4.90.
Awesome...I did not want to change to 5.0 till I knew what was going on.

I will do some more testing and will update to 5.0 in the morning.

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #8268
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Hey guys. Just got my Montana and see that it has 4.70 firmware. Should I update that first before installing maps?

Also, is there anything else I should do before loading maps.

Sorry if it has been covered in this thread, I just don't have the time to browse 500+ pages, so I apologize for possibly asking a simple question that has been answered already.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #8269
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Hey guys. Just got my Montana and see that it has 4.70 firmware. Should I update that first before installing maps?

Also, is there anything else I should do before loading maps.

Sorry if it has been covered in this thread, I just don't have the time to browse 500+ pages, so I apologize for possibly asking a simple question that has been answered already.
It makes no difference which firmware you have when you update your maps.

You might want to back it up first, though. Just copy everything to a backup drive somewhere.

I am running v 5.00 and it works perfectly for me.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #8270
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,106
Also for some of the other guys trying decide which Montana.
To me it's either 650 or the 650t.

I got the 650.
Which comes with the camera.
No its not a great camera but I use it as a visual waypoint marker.

Your out on the trail and you come across a cool waterfall.
#1 you could click on mark waypoint then edit then name it "cool waterfall".
Or #2 take a photo with the Montana.
The photos are geo tagged with GPS coordinates.

Also I have Topo 100k which I use mainly for hiking works great.
I also have a few custom (free) topo maps and they work great.
OSM FileDepot are great places to find free maps

Routing on the Montana is sometimes a little squirrely.
But I am still trying to figure this unit too.
But to me that's the fun in it.

I am still on the lower part of the learning curve.....but starting to feel the hump.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #8271
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
I am still on the lower part of the learning curve.....but starting to feel the hump.

Fred
What? You never flew the Hump? How about your Dad?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #8272
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I am running v 5.00 and it works perfectly for me.
Well, that IS a gold recommendation!

Maybe I'll have to modify my cynical posts!!

On second thought, maybe I ought to wait a couple weeks...
Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #8273
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
650t memory

After reading the last few days posts I would like to correct a miss conception of the 650t. Acording to JaVaWa device manager I have a total of 7.24 GiB of memory. I have no data card in the 650t. It brakes down as the following.

Topo U.S. 100k 3.1 GiB
Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap,NR 49 MB
Other files 584 KiB
Free space 1.81 GiB

I addeded CN North America NT 2013.4 1.8 GiB

I still have as much free space as CN took. Garmin advertises that the 600 and 650 models have 3 GiB of memory. From what I see my 650t has 3.5 GiB plus the topos. The topos can be removed from the 650t. If that is done the 650t would have more then twice the memory of the 600 and 650. chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #8274
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Stevens View Post
After reading the last few days posts I would like to correct a miss conception of the 650t. Acording to JaVaWa device manager I have a total of 7.24 GiB of memory. I have no data card in the 650t. It brakes down as the following.

Topo U.S. 100k 3.1 GiB
Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap,NR 49 MB
Other files 584 KiB
Free space 1.81 GiB

I addeded CN North America NT 2013.4 1.8 GiB

I still have as much free space as CN took. Garmin advertises that the 600 and 650 models have 3 GiB of memory. From what I see my 650t has 3.5 GiB plus the topos. The topos can be removed from the 650t. If that is done the 650t would have more then twice the memory of the 600 and 650. chip

All documented for easy reference right here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #8275
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Quick question.

How do I send my CNNA on micro SD card to the internal memory on the Montana? I've tried via Basecamp, and loading both the Montana and CNNA in a MicroSD to SD adapter, and it wont copy to the device.

Can I only use the microSD in the Montana, and am not able to copy it to the internal memory?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #8276
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Quick question.

How do I send my CNNA on micro SD card to the internal memory on the Montana? I've tried via Basecamp, and loading both the Montana and CNNA in a MicroSD to SD adapter, and it wont copy to the device.

Can I only use the microSD in the Montana, and am not able to copy it to the internal memory?
You can move the file to the alternate location through Windows Explorer or Finder on the Mac once it's on the device. Makes no difference to the gps.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #8277
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You can move the file to the alternate location through Windows Explorer or Finder on the Mac once it's on the device. Makes no difference to the gps.
Thanks!

Any specific folder I should send it to on the Garmin?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #8278
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks!

Any specific folder I should send it to on the Garmin?
The x:\garmin folder.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #8279
iustin
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Quick question.

I'm not 100% sure, but almost so: maps on the micro SD card are copy-protected, and won't work on anything else than the original card…
iustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #8280
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by iustin View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but almost so: maps on the micro SD card are copy-protected, and won't work on anything else than the original card…
You're right. If they were bought on sd, then they are locked to the card. I missed that in the original post.