ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #8641
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you leave the "slider" at the beginning of the Route, select"Search along the route" and then type your search word/string, the results will be along the route. The one thing I don't like about the current results implementation is that they don't show on the map unless you choose "more" or open the Advanced Search window - at which point the results switch to a "center of map" search.

Mmmmk...mebbe ADD got the best of me but I can't for the life of me understand why this should be so difficult on the PC let alone the Floptana...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #8642
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
(Pardon me if this is more of a 'BaseCamp' post)

So last night I tried for the first time to create a route in BaseCamp for a trip I'll be doing in Sept from the Meadowlands NJ to the Fingerlakes (Canadaigua). Basically, about 300 miles of riding each way, 1 day out, 1 day back along a slightly different route. Tell me if I'm doing this right...

First off, it seems like I have to create a 'Trip' before it allowed me to create a Route. OK, fine, I created a 1-day trip for the route out and let it calculate a route from Rutherford NJ to Canandaigua NY based on the MC profile. The route was horrible - 20 miles N only to double back and end up ~10 miles West of my starting point before finally meandering NW. I avoided Highways, but there's a heck of a lot of very local streets in the route, even in areas where a state or county road would do nicely. At the intersection of Rt. 46 and 23 (near Wayne NJ), it would route me off of 46 1 mile before the interchange and through local streets before putting me on 23 1 mile north of the interchange.

For comparison, I did the same route in Google Maps and got a very nice route. Great! Import this route to BaseCamp and I can use it as a basis for my route. Except Google doesn't allow the export of a route when the 'avoid highways' option is checked off. (I looked for this for a 1/2 hour before finding that footnote in the Google Maps help.)

Back to BaseCamp, I'm back to my Route. I try to insert a few 'Via Points' to force the route to conform to where I want it to go. It seems that 'Via Points' have to be created from existing POIs or Waypoints? So, now I'm using roadside attractions to route through, because I'm not sure I want to create dozens of arbitrary waypoints just for the routing, but even that's not working well (e.g., the route will go to the waypoint, but then double-back instead of continuing on the current road to the next intersection).

Giving up on having voice-prompted turns, I create a Track from the route. Now there are literrally hundreds of points in the track. Editing them seems daunting, so I'm thinking it's more trouble than it's worth to do it this way...

So, any tips for me? Do I go through the trouble of creating the via points (50 limit, right? I think I can manage...)? Or do I build a track from scratch (can I even do this?)? Other options?

Thanks for any suggestions!
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #8643
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
(Pardon me if this is more of a 'BaseCamp' post)

So last night I tried for the first time to create a route in BaseCamp for a trip I'll be doing in Sept from the Meadowlands NJ to the Fingerlakes (Canadaigua). Basically, about 300 miles of riding each way, 1 day out, 1 day back along a slightly different route. Tell me if I'm doing this right...

First off, it seems like I have to create a 'Trip' before it allowed me to create a Route. OK, fine, I created a 1-day trip for the route out and let it calculate a route from Rutherford NJ to Canandaigua NY based on the MC profile. The route was horrible - 20 miles N only to double back and end up ~10 miles West of my starting point before finally meandering NW. I avoided Highways, but there's a heck of a lot of very local streets in the route, even in areas where a state or county road would do nicely. At the intersection of Rt. 46 and 23 (near Wayne NJ), it would route me off of 46 1 mile before the interchange and through local streets before putting me on 23 1 mile north of the interchange.

For comparison, I did the same route in Google Maps and got a very nice route. Great! Import this route to BaseCamp and I can use it as a basis for my route. Except Google doesn't allow the export of a route when the 'avoid highways' option is checked off. (I looked for this for a 1/2 hour before finding that footnote in the Google Maps help.)

Back to BaseCamp, I'm back to my Route. I try to insert a few 'Via Points' to force the route to conform to where I want it to go. It seems that 'Via Points' have to be created from existing POIs or Waypoints? So, now I'm using roadside attractions to route through, because I'm not sure I want to create dozens of arbitrary waypoints just for the routing, but even that's not working well (e.g., the route will go to the waypoint, but then double-back instead of continuing on the current road to the next intersection).

Giving up on having voice-prompted turns, I create a Track from the route. Now there are literrally hundreds of points in the track. Editing them seems daunting, so I'm thinking it's more trouble than it's worth to do it this way...

So, any tips for me? Do I go through the trouble of creating the via points (50 limit, right? I think I can manage...)? Or do I build a track from scratch (can I even do this?)? Other options?

Thanks for any suggestions!
You just explained why the more I try to build routes, the more confused I get

8 years of using GPS exclusively, and I still don't know how to do it all that well from a computer. I have a ton of respect for those that do, and I'd like to learn, but I guess the rigamarole factor is way too high. Besides, I just know that all the time spent on a computer will be wasted anyway the first time I see that turn that wasn't planned for, but I just have to make

I use GPS so that I'm never lost and to send me in a general direction, preferring not to stick to a predefined route. For that reason, a google maps/Android based device, like that Monterra, looks really interesting. Love my Montana though!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #8644
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
...I use GPS so that I'm never lost and to send me in a general direction, preferring not to stick to a predefined route. ...
I tend to do that often as well, but generally in areas where I know roughly where I am or when I don't need to be anywhere / not on a schedule. For my trip, I will need to be at my destination by a certain time, so I don't have the luxury of just 'meandering' there and possibly getting lost for a couple of hours, especially since the Montana also doesn't lend itself very well to providing a good 'map view' while zoomed out (many roads disappear, so you can't get a rough idea of which roads you need to take).
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #8645
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I use GPS so that I'm never lost and to send me in a general direction, preferring not to stick to a predefined route. For that reason, a google maps/Android based device, like that Monterra, looks really interesting. Love my Montana though!
"Google Maps ...based device" - where did you get that impression? The mapping on the Monterra will certainly be a Garmin-based map architecture just like the Montana. I suppose if you wanted to install and run a Google maps application you could but I don't see the advantage of doing so.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #8646
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
"Google Maps ...based device" - where did you get that impression? The mapping on the Monterra will certainly be a Garmin-based map architecture just like the Montana. I suppose if you wanted to install and run a Google maps application you could but I don't see the advantage of doing so.
Well, for one, read my post above. In my situation, it would be nice to use Google Maps for routing on road (and maybe Topo?) since it seems to generate a better route, while also being able to use Garmin's own app and maps for other purposes (i.e., BlueChart marine charts or LakeVu inland lake charts on the boat).
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #8647
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Mmmmk...mebbe ADD got the best of me but I can't for the life of me understand why this should be so difficult on the PC let alone the Floptana...
It's not difficult, it's market driven. If even 50% of Montana owners requested "Search Along Active Route" as a feature, I believe it would have been added.

Since many BaseCamp users asked for this feature, it was added. And, I expect it will get better in the coming releases because the more people see and start to use it the more they will see the value in it. Enough.

You almost got me started on my "build it and they will come - ask for more" development strategy.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #8648
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Well, for one, read my post above. In my situation, it would be nice to use Google Maps for routing on road (and maybe Topo?) since it seems to generate a better route, while also being able to use Garmin's own app and maps for other purposes (i.e., BlueChart marine charts or LakeVu inland lake charts on the boat).
Thanks for clarifying
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #8649
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
It's not difficult, it's market driven. If even 50% of Montana owners requested "Search Along Active Route" as a feature, I believe it would have been added.
I am very cynical about this point of view particularly since there isn't a very good way to "request" features besides send an email to a support black hole. Plenty of people's experience with Garmin is that they are notoriously bad listeners when it comes to the details of unit features on consumer products (My experience has been very different for their aviation units). It's why I often bring up product validation (vs. verification - did they build the right unit vs. did they build it right) I don't believe they do much of that if any and frankly I don't think they do much verification either, especially on the montana, which a high number of users view as plenty buggy even after being on the market for two years.

We may disagree - that's ok. There are plenty of people that likely see this from both sides.

One thing I've learned (partly from this thread in particular) is that many montana users haven't used a gps with "advanced" features and that those that have used such gps's too often miss dearly... so these newer users don't know what features they are missing or should "request"... It's like talking to someone who's only used gps's that don't do track logs.... Talk track logs and they often just stare blankly and say "what are those good for?" let alone ask the manufacturer for them.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #8650
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,655
I'd bet Garmin knows that lives depend on their aviation units so they put more time into them. Us moto riders - meh. No big deal, just stop on the side of the road and figure out where we are.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #8651
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I am very cynical about this point of view particularly since there isn't a very good way to "request" features besides send an email to a support black hole. Plenty of people's experience with Garmin is that they are notoriously bad listeners when it comes to the details of unit features on consumer products (My experience has been very different for their aviation units). It's why I often bring up product validation (vs. verification - did they build the right unit vs. did they build it right) I don't believe they do much of that if any and frankly I don't think they do much verification either, especially on the montana, which a high number of users view as plenty buggy even after being on the market for two years.

We may disagree - that's ok. There are plenty of people that likely see this from both sides.

One thing I've learned (partly from this thread in particular) is that many montana users haven't used a gps with "advanced" features and that those that have used such gps's too often miss dearly... so these newer users don't know what features they are missing or should "request"... It's like talking to someone who's only used gps's that don't do track logs.... Talk track logs and they often just stare blankly and say "what are those good for?" let alone ask the manufacturer for them.

I hope you are sending your input to Garmin and not just assuming they are not going to pay any attention. They responded to the email I sent them. Please send them your comments.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #8652
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I hope you are sending your input to Garmin and not just assuming they are not going to pay any attention. They responded to the email I sent them. Please send them your comments.
If Garmin isn't interested they won't respond at all. I've sent them multiple e-mails regarding the 50 via point limit and have never once heard back from them. Now when I emailed them about a data field bug they replied immediately. SO just because you got a response once, doesn't mean everyone gets one every time.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #8653
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,971
Montana vs 78 ?

I just copied a gpx file to the gpx folder in my 78. I can see it from PC but tracks do not show up on Track manager.

Assuming all new generation units are similar, what am I doing wrong?

I used Mapsource to download contents and there is a new "temp" file in gpx folder and all tracks show.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #8654
MTNRiderAB
Information Sponge

Oddometer: 41
Transfer maps to laptop with no cd drive

I have basecamp installed on my desktop pc, with the Canadian Topo maps installed, from a CD. I'd like to transfer the maps to a small laptop I travel with, but the laptop has no CD drive.

I have installed BC on the laptop, and tried connecting my gps to it, I can upload waypoints, routes, etc, but cant figure out how to upload the maps.

Is this possible?

Thanks.
MTNRiderAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #8655
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I'd bet Garmin knows that lives depend on their aviation units so they put more time into them. Us moto riders - meh. No big deal, just stop on the side of the road and figure out where we are.
One could argue that a Montana in the hands of a back-woods backpacker or a boater are counting on the GPS to keep them safe just as much as an aviator would. Though the GPS crapping out in any of these scenarios may not put people in immediate danger, it could lead to some hairy situations, but any experienced backpacker/boater/pilot would not be relying solely on the GPS and would have backup options.