ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 225 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #8701
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
Check this out, Android OS Garmin: New Garmin Monterra
Uh...well, uh... The New Garmin Monterra (not a typo) thread.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #8702
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbyk View Post
uh...well, uh... the new garmin monterra (not a typo) thread.

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #8703
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 803
I got used Montana 600 on ebay for a good price. The seller promised it would come with North America, Europe, and Africa map. Well, when I got the GPS in package today, the SD card is missing but I can see the map on GPS. When I try to run a route from my home to a city few hours away, I get No Routable Roads error message.

Do the Montana need SD card to run routable road or is it something I am missing? Unfortunately, the only thing that I got was the GPS and the power cord, no usb and manual. No original box or anything like that. I'll have to get usb cable at later time when eBay Bucks start- I have more than enough to use up to get usb cable for free.

I remember that after I paid to get North America map for my 60CSx, someone on here told me to save my money next time to download OpenSource map? Any recommend? Thanks!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #8704
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
I got used Montana 600 on ebay for a good price. The seller promised it would come with North America, Europe, and Africa map. Well, when I got the GPS in package today, the SD card is missing but I can see the map on GPS. When I try to run a route from my home to a city few hours away, I get No Routable Roads error message.

Do the Montana need SD card to run routable road or is it something I am missing? Unfortunately, the only thing that I got was the GPS and the power cord, no usb and manual. No original box or anything like that. I'll have to get usb cable at later time when eBay Bucks start- I have more than enough to use up to get usb cable for free.

I remember that after I paid to get North America map for my 60CSx, someone on here told me to save my money next time to download OpenSource map? Any recommend? Thanks!
Congratulations on your acquisition of a Montana GPS. It is a great device!

The Montana includes a base map. For road navigation, you will need to provide some routable maps for the Montana. Those routable maps can be stored either on the GPS or on a SD card that you can load into the GPS.

There are several options for routable maps. You can purchase Garmin's City Navigator North America (CNNA) NT map set, or you can opt to download and use some of the free Open Street Map project maps. I have loaded both map sets on my SD card, but I mainly use the CNNA maps.

CNNA NT maps at GPS City
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-city-n...ca-nt-dvd.html

Open Street Maps
http://www.osmmaps.com/

It is possible that you have routable maps on the GPS, but do not have them enabled. On the GPS, select the map button, press the "menu" button (the three horizontal lines), and then select "Setup Map." Select the "Map Information | Select Map" button. You should see a list of the maps installed on the unit, and which of those maps are enabled or disabled. Selecting a map will open a panel that allows you to enable or disable the map. I suggest you ensure a routable map is available and enabled.

You may also want to examine the directories on the GPS to see whether a map (other than the base map) is loaded on the GPS. Plug the GPS into the computer, let your computer recognize it, then navigate the the \GARMIN folder. You should see a file called gmapbmap.img. That will be the base map for the unit. You should also see a file named gmaptz.img, which is the time zone map. If you see additional files with the file extension of .IMG, those should be additional map sets on the GPS.

In case you have not discovered it yet, the Montana Wiki and BaseCamp Wiki are good resources to help you get familiar with both products. The Garmin Montana help videos on YouTube are also worthwhile.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #8705
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition of a Montana GPS. It is a great device!

It is possible that you have routable maps on the GPS, but do not have them enabled. On the GPS, select the map button, press the "menu" button (the three horizontal lines), and then select "Setup Map." Select the "Map Information | Select Map" button. You should see a list of the maps installed on the unit, and which of those maps are enabled or disabled. Selecting a map will open a panel that allows you to enable or disable the map. I suggest you ensure a routable map is available and enabled.

You may also want to examine the directories on the GPS to see whether a map (other than the base map) is loaded on the GPS. Plug the GPS into the computer, let your computer recognize it, then navigate the the \GARMIN folder. You should see a file called gmapbmap.img. That will be the base map for the unit. You should also see a file named gmaptz.img, which is the time zone map. If you see additional files with the file extension of .IMG, those should be additional map sets on the GPS.

In case you have not discovered it yet, the Montana Wiki and BaseCamp Wiki are good resources to help you get familiar with both products. The Garmin Montana help videos on YouTube are also worthwhile.
Thanks!! I am looking forward to using the Montana once my Sportster is completed in few months.

I tried your suggested and no dice so I went and visited the link you provided. I suspect that the seller's claim was not accurate. He was claiming to have over $300 value of maps in the GPS when in fact I think it was actually Open Source map that was not routable? Every time I tried different city, it would give me a straight line from my location to the city with no direction.

I'll start experiment it using my truck until I can get my bike going so I will be familiar with it before I mount it on my bike. Easier to play with it in my truck than on a bike.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #8706
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
The JaVaWa Device Manager will tell you what maps are installed...

Quote:
...I'll start experiment it using my truck until I can get my bike going so I will be familiar with it before I mount it on my bike. Easier to play with it in my truck than on a bike.
One of the best ways (and safest!) to get familiar with a gps is to use it while you are a passenger in a car/truck!!
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #8707
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Every time I tried different city, it would give me a straight line from my location to the city with no direction.
Have you considered changing your routing activity to something other than direct?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #8708
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
The JaVaWa Device Manager will tell you what maps are installed...

One of the best ways (and safest!) to get familiar with a gps is to use it while you are a passenger in a car/truck!!

Thanks for the tip to save me time of searching on map. Yes, you are correct on being a passenger. No worry, I live in the country and hardly any traffic out here, though. But good point there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Have you considered changing your routing activity to something other than direct?
Thanks for pointing that out and I tried it too but no dice. I switched it from Direct Route to Motorcycle and getting error message Not Routable Roads.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #8709
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
I don't know if you have read this thread, but in case you didn't know about this.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....0&postcount=17
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=18
Yes I had seen that before, but forgot about it at the time it was happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Is the screen protector off now?

Have you tried a Master Reset ?

There are a few instances in which it will be necessary to perform a master reset on the Montana, including the following:

Not receiving a satellite signal
Restoring the factory default settings
Not functioning properly
Performing a master reset can cause data loss. To back up user data* utilize the FAQ How do I back up user data from my outdoor GPS with a USB interface?". If removing user data is desired to eliminate corrupt data or free up additional space, reference the FAQ Why does my Garmin outdoor or fitness GPS still show my GPS data after a master reset?.

To perform the master reset:

Power Montana off
Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (be done in portrait or landscape mode)
Power on device
Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Release finger from upper left side of display
Touch Erase
Allow device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of sky
The Montana is now reset and ready for use.

*User data consists of waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches
I swapped the screen protectors, and can select things normally now. I did perform a Master Reset prior to departing on the trip (week long run to CO for the Tenere rally). I haven't had a chance to test again since swapping the protector...
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #8710
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek94 View Post
Yes I had seen that before, but forgot about it at the time it was happening.
Ok, have you looked at other options?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #8711
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Ok, have you looked at other options?
Not yet. I ran it for a bit on Friday, but didn't have the issue again.
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #8712
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 268
I did my first test ride with montana yesterday. Now there are few things I'm wondering.

I made the route first with Tyre and sent it directly to montana. Then I opened the route with basecamp and checked if garmins routing algorithm is anywhere near the one google uses. ATV/offroad calculation seemed to give the closest match. I removed one unneccesary waypoint and saved the route.

Now I could open the route with montana but there was no edit option on route planner. Is this normal that you can't edit routes made with basecamp?

On the route, start and end are next to my parking place. When I sarted driving and joined the road which had the start and stop points montana stopped navigating and cleared the current route. You should not put the end point on your route so that you will drive close to it in the beginning?

I had put few waypoints in inaccessible roads. Is there a easy way to skip a waypoint? One time I was able to go around the waypoint and on to the route after the waypoint. Montana still tried to guide me back. When I pushed stop navigating and loaded the route again. I was able to continue without going through that one missed waypoint. Is this the only way?

I used the "North up" mode and the device was mounted horizontal. Sometimes before turns it went to vertical mode and displayed something. Maybe a closeup picture of the next turn or something?

Sorry if these things are already discussed somewhere.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #8713
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
I did my first test ride with montana yesterday. Now there are few things I'm wondering. Sorry if these things are already discussed somewhere.

I made the route first with Tyre and sent it directly to montana. Then I opened the route with basecamp and checked if garmins routing algorithm is anywhere near the one google uses. ATV/offroad calculation seemed to give the closest match. I removed one unneccesary waypoint and saved the route.

Now I could open the route with montana but there was no edit option on route planner. Is this normal that you can't edit routes made with basecamp?

On the route, start and end are next to my parking place. When I sarted driving and joined the road which had the start and stop points montana stopped navigating and cleared the current route. You should not put the end point on your route so that you will drive close to it in the beginning?

I had put few waypoints in inaccessible roads. Is there a easy way to skip a waypoint? One time I was able to go around the waypoint and on to the route after the waypoint. Montana still tried to guide me back. When I pushed stop navigating and loaded the route again. I was able to continue without going through that one missed waypoint. Is this the only way?

I used the "North up" mode and the device was mounted horizontal. Sometimes before turns it went to vertical mode and displayed something. Maybe a closeup picture of the next turn or something?
Yes, they have all been discussed, but to save you the trouble of reading all 8,673 posts , I can answer some.

Only DIRECT routes transferred to the Montana are editable and reversible. So, many of us fiddle with the route in automotive or motorcycle mode in BC to get it to route the way we want, then change it to Direct before sending it over. If your maps, activity profiles, and avoidances are identical, you will usually get the same route when the Montana calculates it.

Yes, you should not have beginning and end points near each other, usually 100 to 200 meters away will work.

No, with any autorouting map and profile, you cannot skip waypoints unless you do what you did. Someone else may have a way, but I don't.

Try locking your screen orientation to horizontal (that's totally separate from North Up or Track Up). I use vertical exclusively, and I have never seen the next turn popup go horizontal.

Read the WIKI! Several times each for BC and the Montana! Many questions are answered there:

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Features

and: http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com/

It's a complex instrument, but wonderful when the learning curve is over with.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #8714
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Yes, they have all been discussed, but to save you the trouble of reading all 8,673 posts , I can answer some.

Only DIRECT routes transferred to the Montana are editable and reversible. So, many of us fiddle with the route in automotive or motorcycle mode in BC to get it to route the way we want, then change it to Direct before sending it over. If your maps, activity profiles, and avoidances are identical, you will usually get the same route when the Montana calculates it.

Yes, you should not have beginning and end points near each other, usually 100 to 200 meters away will work.

No, with any autorouting map and profile, you cannot skip waypoints unless you do what you did. Someone else may have a way, but I don't.

Try locking your screen orientation to horizontal (that's totally separate from North Up or Track Up). I use vertical exclusively, and I have never seen the next turn popup go horizontal.

Read the WIKI! Several times each for BC and the Montana! Many questions are answered there:

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Features

and: http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com/

It's a complex instrument, but wonderful when the learning curve is over with.
Thank you!

All my previous GSP-devices (tomtom for symbian, automapa for windows CE, and Navigon) had this "skip waypoint" feature. I had to use it quite often. I hope someone finds a way to do it.

It seems that I have a lot of reading to do.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #8715
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,943
Apologise if this has been covered before.
I run two profiles on my Montana:
  • Topo mapping with shortcuts to tracks and track manager for off road.
  • City Navigator and different shortcuts for on road.
I went riding at the weekend to do a preride and record a track for an upcoming group ride, I was in my Topo profile and selected Track "record and show on map", I had arranged to meet up with a mate to run part of the course together and so switched profiles to my City Navigator one to find his address then flicked back to Topo profile when we hit the dirt again. When I got home I had a gap in my recorded track and then I realised the Track record option is individually selectable for each profile you run and off course it was selected off on my City Navigator profile.

So beware if you use profiles make sure all selections are set correctly in each profile.
KTM 690 EVO 1 Rally Raid Build Thread
KTM 690 Idiots Guide
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote