ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #8791
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The battery can't jiggle around that much, afaik. I've never heard of the Montana breaking any contacts. The contacts to the Lithium aren't the breakable kind, anyway.
You may find this post interesting :)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #8792
pro5mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
The battery can't jiggle around that much, afaik. I've never heard of the Montana breaking any contacts. The contacts to the Lithium aren't the breakable kind, anyway. The AA connections, on the other hand probably could be broken but I don't hear of many [people using those unless it's an emergency.]
I beg to differ. I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here also.

I'm on my second Montana and I'm starting to think that the unit is just not built for the abuse of an off road bike. I have it set up with the rugged mount on three different bikes, two road bikes and a KTM 690E. The first unit was fine till I used it on a week long expedition on the 690. The second unit just failed after a couple hours of light dual sporting on the washboard Michigan back roads.

Both units that I've had work fine as long as they are in the mount but as soon as I pull the unit or it looses power to the mount it dies immediately.

The pictures below shows the same fate of the both units that I have had. This unit only has one pin broken (originally had 4 pins), my first unit had all four pins broken off. This unit also has a foam block installed at factory and the battery fits very snugly, to the point where its hard to get the battery out.

pro5mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #8793
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro5mark View Post
...This unit only has one pin broken (originally had 4 pins), my first unit had all four pins broken off. ...
Looking at the pictures, it seems to me that it might also have been caused by putting in the battery backside first and then the contacts. Or gettirg it out at the contact side first.
Especially the newer Montana's have a thicker foam at the back of the battery compartment, which makes it difficult pressing it in at the backside. Even I was tempted to press it in at the contacts, but luckily I never did.

Summar:
Always put in the battery at the contact side first, then press the back in. And get it out with the backside first!

I don't mean to say that this is the cause of the broken contacts, but a warning on this forum is fear enough I think.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #8794
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmvm View Post
Looking at the pictures, it seems to me that it might also have been caused by putting in the battery backside first and then the contacts. Or gettirg it out at the contact side first.
Especially the newer Montana's have a thicker foam at the back of the battery compartment, which makes it difficult pressing it in at the backside. Even I was tempted to press it in at the contacts, but luckily I never did.

Summar:
Always put in the battery at the contact side first, then press the back in. And get it out with the backside first!

I don't mean to say that this is the cause of the broken contacts, but a warning on this forum is fear enough I think.
Is it even possible to insert the battery this way? The end of the battery with the contacts has two recessed notches that must engage protrusions in the Montana case. I am dubious if it is even possible to press the battery down past these, and I do not think I will press the issue with my Montana. :)
Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #8795
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:

I'm on my second Montana and I'm starting to think that the unit is just not built for the abuse of an off road bike. I have it set up with the rugged mount on three different bikes, two road bikes and a KTM 690E. The first unit was fine till I used it on a week long expedition on the 690. The second unit just failed after a couple hours of light dual sporting on the washboard Michigan back roads.

Both units that I've had work fine as long as they are in the mount but as soon as I pull the unit or it looses power to the mount it dies immediately.

The pictures below shows the same fate of the both units that I have had. This unit only has one pin broken (originally had 4 pins), my first unit had all four pins broken off. This unit also has a foam block installed at factory and the battery fits very snugly, to the point where its hard to get the battery out.
I've been using the AA batteries with a 690E and off-road riding for near 2 years....the stock Montana battery doesn't tolerate the vibration and I had numerous shutdowns even after stuffing the battery with earplugs, etc.
The AA's will last for months if you're using the powered rugged mount...and no more shutdowns....
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #8796
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 965
Quote:

My answer.........TAKE ALL BATTERIES OUT!!!

A year ago my Montana started to reset while riding. I was going to send it back then I tried all these different methods (suggested here on ADVrider) of inserting batteries (both styles) a certain way..........however,the solution which has worked great since, connect it to a direct power source and leave the batteries OUT!! I keep both style batteries on the bike in a bag and use it for backup only. I hardly ever need to take the GPS off the bike. Yes, this is not for everyone but it's worked without a hitch for me.

Good luck!
Pcfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #8797
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
With every unit I've owned *except* the x78/x96's I've experienced (half a dozen?) and heard of waaaaay too many unit failures (won't operate from batteries any longer) when running in high-vibration environments with batteries installed. The x78/x96's have to have the batteries installed in order to keep their IPX7 rating and ironically [in a very good way] they are the only units that don't seem to suffer failure from running with batteries installed.

Bottom line for me is that when operating a unit in high-vibration environments, if the unit is still sealed without batteries, they go in my pocket.

The floptana makes me miss the x78/x96's a *lot*....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #8798
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
With every unit I've owned *except* the x78/x96's I've experienced (half a dozen?) and heard of waaaaay too many unit failures (won't operate from batteries any longer) when running in high-vibration environments with batteries installed. The x78/x96's have to have the batteries installed in order to keep their IPX7 rating and ironically [in a very good way] they are the only units that don't seem to suffer failure from running with batteries installed.

Bottom line for me is that when operating a unit in high-vibration environments, if the unit is still sealed without batteries, they go in my pocket.

The floptana makes me miss the x78/x96's a *lot*....
Hmmm, one of the main reasons I got rid of my POS 478 was because I had 3 batteries fail in a year. Talk about a unit that would fall apart in a high vibration environment. And you're right, when the battery fails the unit won't work with bike power, so it becomes an overpriced bar ornament.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #8799
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:

Do you think that the orientation of the unit might contribute to or reduce this kind of breakage?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #8800
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Change Language

How do I get english back as default language?
My finger slipped when I was going for the english icon and now I'm stuck in a language other than english?
Richard

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #8801
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What does that piece of tape do?
Keeps the clip over the memory card in place.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #8802
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl View Post
How do I get english back as default language?
My finger slipped when I was going for the english icon and now I'm stuck in a language other than english?
Richard
Found it. Just took a few hours!

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #8803
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Ok, I see yours are broken. Never seen a broken one here, and we have had 3 Montanas over the last couple of years. It does look to me like that kind of damage doesn't happen while the battery's in place, under normal use, though. As some others have said, it looks more like battery insertion or removal damage.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 04:17 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #8804
pro5mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Ok, I see yours are broken. Never seen a broken one here, and we have had 3 Montanas over the last couple of years. It does look to me like that kind of damage doesn't happen while the battery's in place, under normal use, though. As others have said, it looks more like battery insertion or removal damage.
Just checked, only one way the battery can be inserted/removed.

The only time the battery was out was when the unit was new to check that all the contacts were where they were supposed to be, and to insert the memory card.

All I can say is it's a good thing Cabela's has a good return policy, though it is a PIA to reload all the maps.

Mounting position.

pro5mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #8805
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
As others have said, it looks more like battery insertion or removal damage.
Not everyone.