ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #8806
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Ok; modified to "As some others have said, it looks more like battery insertion or removal damage."
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #8807
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
In Romania last week......
Screen seemed to has slipped off the touch area by 20mm, so when pressing the icons of the left of the screen (in landscape), the icons on the middle of the screen highlighted.
So, if a screen recalibration was needed, I was unable to access the icon to open settings.....
The 600 unit stayed in this state for several days......until one day in a hotel room where we had lowered the room temp using the aircon to a very cold state (10c), then the unit began to work correctly again, with perfect screen calibration.
So, back in UK now, do I risk it and carry on with this unit as normal, or send it to Garmin Support for them to take a look? Though the unit has just gone out of the 12 months warranty window.....

T.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #8808
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,205
Could be the screen protector shrinking.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #8809
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,015
I don't follow this thread closely enough to know if my "issue" has been discussed.... I have a slight issue with tracks disappearing. For example,,, the other day I was exploring an area with a bunch of logging road. Lot's of twists and turns and dead ends. When I finally turned around to head out I looked down at the unit and the track I just made disappeared while I was looking at it. Turned the unit off and on and still no track. Headed out and once in a while short sections of the track would appear and then disappear again. Once I got out to the highway the track showed up again and continued to show. I've had this happen a couple times.

Any idears???

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #8810
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
I don't follow this thread closely enough to know if my "issue" has been discussed.... I have a slight issue with tracks disappearing. For example,,, the other day I was exploring an area with a bunch of logging road. Lot's of twists and turns and dead ends. When I finally turned around to head out I looked down at the unit and the track I just made disappeared while I was looking at it. Turned the unit off and on and still no track. Headed out and once in a while short sections of the track would appear and then disappear again. Once I got out to the highway the track showed up again and continued to show. I've had this happen a couple times.

Any idears???
Sounds like your track log is full. How often do you archive?

I set mine to archive automatically every day.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #8811
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
I'm on the road so I don't have a lot of time for testing but it appears that v5.20 has broken more than it fixed - assuming there were any "fixes" attempted. Truth be known, I have been waiting for the Icelandic Keyboard.

Missing info: Automotive Turn info on both the nuvi Dashboard and Data Fields.

I think we may be in the "coding shadow" of the Monterra....

Let the sarcasm rain down....

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #8812
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,764
Color me surprised......................................... .................................. not.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #8813
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
Those Garmin guys are laughing all the way to the bank with OUR money.

Sure wish somebody would put the guts of my 76 behind the screen the size my Montana.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #8814
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post

Any idears???
Known bug around here. It happens when the log gets close to full. Powering the unit off and on will bring them back....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #8815
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I was in navigation mode on a major highway in Saskatchewan & coming off one hwy onto another (hwy 16) & Karen said 'Navigate Off Road' which was the exit ramp from highway I was on to the hwy 16. When I got to this Exit ramp the Montana crashed...powered it back on & I was back in navigation mode.
I had had this happen 3 days before but not the same situation.

I had created the routes using the new BC Trip Planner, I am also running the latest firmware, & BC version.
Another thing I noticed is that on selecting one of these routes, the Montana seems to take a lot longer till it shows the GO button, Anyone else notice this?
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #8816
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I'm on the road so I don't have a lot of time for testing but it appears that v5.20 has broken more than it fixed - assuming there were any "fixes" attempted. Truth be known, I have been waiting for the Icelandic Keyboard.

Missing info: Automotive Turn info on both the nuvi Dashboard and Data Fields.

I think we may be in the "coding shadow" of the Monterra....

Let the sarcasm rain down....
I am missing the same data fields as you in v 5.10! I have sent my report to Garmin, but I fear the Montana is quickly falling to Oregon x00 status with the Monterra release fast approaching...
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #8817
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
More Possible 5.2 Foibles

Today I went out to do a 600 plus mile loop around the Olympic Peninsula and experienced some very frustrating Montana behaviour. First the background:

5.20 firmware
CN NT 2014.1 Maps
Route with 8 waypoints created in BC and sent to the Montana in Direct Routing mode.

The route loaded up correctly in the Montana in my normal automotive profile and I started navigating it. About 1/2 hour into the ride I decided to take a much more scenic route than the one computed by the unit, so I headed on off on it. Suddenly the unit turned itself off. I repeatedly restarted it but could only get to the main dashboard screen before it turned itself off. I thought maybe I have a loose battery (I have the battery padded with foam ear plugs) so I removed the battery and just ran it off of bike power. It exhibited the same behaviour.

So I finally decided to do a reset (power on and one finger in the upper left part of the screen). I received the warning message about losing my personal data, but I didn't have anything to lose. With that reset I regained control of the unit. I switched to my motorcycle profile and reloaded the route (I was now close to the original routing) and it held for the next 4 hours.

Later in the day while in my motorcycle profile, I tried to do a recalculation and the unit started turning itself off just like earlier in the day when I was in my automotive profile. So I did another reset, switched back to my automotive profile and created a route on the fly and the unit worked perfectly.

My conclusion is that there is something going wrong with a complex recalculation. My recalcs today reached 80% before the unit would shut down and the only recovery was to do a reset. I never have had this issue before on any of my Garmin units.

Does anyone else have any wisdom about this issue?

On the topic of additional errant waypoints that I noted a month or so ago, there were none of those today!
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #8818
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Today I went out to do a 600 plus mile loop around the Olympic Peninsula and experienced some very frustrating Montana behaviour. First the background:

5.20 firmware
CN NT 2014.1 Maps
Route with 8 waypoints created in BC and sent to the Montana in Direct Routing mode.

The route loaded up correctly in the Montana in my normal automotive profile and I started navigating it. About 1/2 hour into the ride I decided to take a much more scenic route than the one computed by the unit, so I headed on off on it. Suddenly the unit turned itself off. I repeatedly restarted it but could only get to the main dashboard screen before it turned itself off. I thought maybe I have a loose battery (I have the battery padded with foam ear plugs) so I removed the battery and just ran it off of bike power. It exhibited the same behaviour.

So I finally decided to do a reset (power on and one finger in the upper left part of the screen). I received the warning message about losing my personal data, but I didn't have anything to lose. With that reset I regained control of the unit. I switched to my motorcycle profile and reloaded the route (I was now close to the original routing) and it held for the next 4 hours.

Later in the day while in my motorcycle profile, I tried to do a recalculation and the unit started turning itself off just like earlier in the day when I was in my automotive profile. So I did another reset, switched back to my automotive profile and created a route on the fly and the unit worked perfectly.

My conclusion is that there is something going wrong with a complex recalculation. My recalcs today reached 80% before the unit would shut down and the only recovery was to do a reset. I never have had this issue before on any of my Garmin units.

Does anyone else have any wisdom about this issue?

On the topic of additional errant waypoints that I noted a month or so ago, there were none of those today!
You are not alone, I have been experiencing similar (if not identical) issues recently, and have reported them to Garmin. My Montana is currently almost useless.

I may revert to a firmware before they added all the new active routing features, which are of no use in the USA right now, as we have no active routing maps available.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #8819
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
You are not alone, I have been experiencing similar (if not identical) issues recently, and have reported them to Garmin. My Montana is currently almost useless.

I may revert to a firmware before they added all the new active routing features, which are of no use in the USA right now, as we have no active routing maps available.
Eh? What does this mean?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #8820
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
So, maybe the shutdowns that I experienced when trying to get my Montana to navigate a route that a friend had made were not related to a problem within the route. Interesting.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote